Options

Mick & Phil

Comments

• Options
    I must tell you all now

That because of Phillip's profound difficulties, i have trouble getting an account for him

i don't know were to help you , i'm stuck
  • Options
    I've spoken to Biastai and LMH about the account.

I'm a teacher and sports shop assistant (don't ask - long story) and Mr K2 is an accountant so would be able to at least point us in the right direction for advice. I live in Bristol.

I'm happy to set it up but would need another (independent) signatory for cheques we sent to MnP. I could ask either the Head of an independent school or several police officers if they'd be willing. I do feel that they should not have too close connections to me (police would probably be running club mates but not family, etc). This would, obviously, only be for cheques sent to Biastai (for the Gift Aid side) of things or to Mick.

I believe that setting up a charity is a complicated business - lots of forms to fill in, etc - so it might be better to leave it as a "good cause" for the time being.
  • Options
    Mick
    The account wouldn't be in Phil's name but held on his behalf so there shouldn't be a problem.
    Money raised or donated would go into this account via whoever was looking after it and they'd keep people informed of total from time to time.
    When there was enough to buy the chair, you'd order it and when it was ready the account holders would both sign the cheque and send it off to the wheel-chair maker.

Then I would watch you two disappearing over the horizon the next time we were both in a race! Nothing new there then.
    :-)
  • Options
    K2,

Having set up charities, I can agree that it is very involved and takes a great deal of time and effort.

I think we should agree that it is something that we can do in the future, if we felt the need to do so. We need to get the chair first!

The best option would be a building society, or savings account.

Would Mr K2 be happy to hold the account, or money, in an official/professional capacity as an accountant? This would then satisfy most people I think! Even if he had to make a nominal charge.

Mick,

For the chair, let someone set up a place to put the money.
  • Options
    Mr K2 would probably prefer not to. I know he's totally honest and fair but I think if we were both involved, as few of you know me or him personally, then it's better to have someone quite separate from the forum. Sure he'd be happy to advise.

I could probably find an accountant willing to do it if you like, though I'm ok with book-keeping (used to have my own business).
  • Options
    K2,

No problem! Had to ask though :-)

Just seeing if I can do links:
    <a target='_new' href="http://www.micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk/">entry form
  • Options
    I plan to attempt abingdoin marathon, if you can get something sorted, I would be happy to see if I can raise sponsorship on behalf of you guys, bit short notice I know... what a great story and what a fantastic website as well

really looking forward to meeting you two at abingdon, I hope you'll wait for me to finish lol!!! be around two days or so
  • Options
    abingdoin??? for goodness sake, I've only had one glass of wine!
  • Options
    just another quick thought, if you can add a page to your website re funding for new chair or something along those lines, maybe we could get people give money towards it just by giving them a link to read and then say that I'm running this race to raise money for it?

just a thought.
  • Options
    Adding my support to this as I always stop for a chat with Mick and Phil, absolutley inspirational what you do.
  • Options
    sorory about typpping but i thoutght i ahd betteer wriwte this now to be usefful
    iii will tyepe it up agaaaiin in a few day s if its totoo mesmsy
    AM NOOT DRUNK buttt sorooyy about the typing...

im a trutrstee of a very small chariaty

geteting registered toook us abouut a yr

it would be mooore diffficlt for you toj gegt regriiinstered isf yoou doooont live closoe enough to siign fooorms except through the pppost

but is wroth 28p in the £, so mjmaybe £600 of totllal on chhhair

deppend s fi youu have anyoone whoo s's wililnng toooo ooorggganiise it 9(sorrry i cannt).

being regiestered alsloo has advanitages iin that tehn you can appaply for mooney froom more soureces eg soooome grrnat makming trustts ,,, and somethiiimies oorganisiations like rooootary wiilll be l ess willing or not able to support non-charaiites (especiiially as M&P arrrrrent ' local' to many forumiites))0

settting up a joint-signaatory bannk accccoujn t was more difiiicult for ous iin many way s than regiiistereing aas a charilty beciause of th e abakning lawes oon ID - youu neede lot s of ID - i couldnt ebe a signiaatooory beacause as a studfent renting a house with seeverall different postal adderesess then i jsuut didnt have enouggh ID. btu it would proprobalay bee eaisier for ''proporer grow n-ups'1!

(i amm veruy soory for my memssy tyoping - am on meds thaaant ahve mda ee dysppraxia wroooooose for a bitii :( - but pleasae doont wory i am ok adn ebing loooked after - but wanteed to wish yoooooou lucjk and i will hlep if i can 'cos youo two keeep me going ono laoonng rus ns!!!!!!11)

(my ccccaharity www.friendsofantarauk.org foro the currrroious ;:)
  • Options
    Hello, anyone know anything about setting up a discretionary trust?? Its more of a legal thing,below is a bit of info I found on a housing site!

'Discretionary trusts are used by families to make long-term financial provision for sons and daughters. The key point about a discretionary trust is that funds or property put into the trust do not count as assets for the purposes of benefits or in terms of the responsibility of the local authority or health authority to fund care. This is because the funds put into a discretionary trust do not belong to the beneficiaries but to the trust.'

Also you will need to be careful about how the account is set up as there are ceilings on savings that can affect benefits, (but not if it is trust!!)

Sorry to be serious but it would be terrible if for the want of helping Phillip to have a new chair and more equipment etc it caused problems elsewhere!

Anyway you can count on me to help if its of any use.

• Options
    Probably my fault for not explaining this before, but we already have a charity that is set up and we can use to claim back Gift Aid.

Any money will not be held in Phil's name, but rather by two, or more people who would be ex-officio trustees.

If all the people involved want to start a charity, then that needs to wait until after we get the chair. Otherwise we would be waiting a long time to get it.
  • Options
    sorry! It might have been mentioned elsewhere, guess I got hold of the wrong end of the stick!
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I've added a link on Fetcheveryone to point to this thread, and to Mick and Phils website (thanks Number Eight for the heads up). If I can be of any web help, let me know - or if there's a fundraising URL, let me know and I'll make sure we feature plenty of links to it.

Just as a thought, has anyone thought about justgiving, to see if they would be willing to collect online funds (and if they wouldn't do it for free, whether it would be worth paying the fee to help with the fundraising).

Cheers All,

Fetch.
  • Options
    Cheers Missus Swanny :-)

Just re-read my e-mail. Sorry if it sounds a bit cold at the end there.

Tired and fatigued......

<<<Thud yet again>>>
  • Options
    Mean post, not e-mail.

Obviously :}
  • Options
    I'm having a blonde moment, is the current chair busticated or is this for a new singing all dancing chair?

I would definitely be happy to run abingdon to raise money, will email you biastai for info.
  • Options
    Nice one Fetcheveryone.com.

GingerLoon - We want to buy Phil a light weight, made to measure chair.
  • Options
    sounds like a very good idea and an excellent cause
  • Options
    Hold fire now

Biasti Acram and everyone

i am waiting for an e mail from

www. Getting disabled kids going.co.uk

They are going to have a link put to our web site with bank account etc

and any cheques can go straight to them

they are going to measure phillip for special wheelchair , but one i Dad control

This is only in brief at the moment

All i know is that a account link should be in operation on Mick n phil within 48 hours

I'll keep you posted

They say , this will over come all your problems,

And lets not forget , you all have your personal lives as well to see to

BLESS YOU ALL

Love Phil xxxxxxx Old man mick
  • Options
    jsutgiving - i looked intoooo it is either £15/ monoth or £20 montthh deppdnding on ho ww yooou payy, anad theyy tkatee 5%% of whjayt yiouu raiiiske ttoooo.

soo supppppese 3 moooooonnths to raiese 2500 - costs usus £185

weee deciiiiiided not oto use jg ebbbbbbbcause of thiis.

btut miiiigjht asssssave aaallllot of haasle given you can t aall memtm t up

seeeeeeeeemm to remeemmebr finidng soemwhree cheaper b ut caanat rememmber wheeeere willll lookkkkkkk
  • Options
    woohooo mick and phil!!
  • Options
    yayyyy

sounfds likle wont nened a jg sitee

ththis sii all working outo well!!!1

sooroyr about tyoiping

noot sure if ican raead itt ::)
  • Options
    Duck girl you have done great!!

Brill news Mick, I guess Phillip will be realy excited about his new chair. How long will it take to be finished if this plan goes ahead??
  • Options
    I can read it DG, but then I'm used to engineers writing lol
  • Options
    Excellent Mick,

Are they set up so that you can get back the tax on donations as well?

If they are not, then please let me know and we could use them and still use our registered charity as well to get back the tax. This will add a third to all that is raised.
  • Options
    Yes they are!

Problem solved!