Options

Advice need from others aiming for sun 3:45

I know its only rhe second week of Jan and that the RW plans only says run 8 (but I am not sure about them) but I am uncertain if I am doing enough

This week I run

Mon 5
Tues 5
Weds 5.8
Thurs / Fri 0
Sat 9
Sun 8

I know running 8 today was probably not wise after yestertday but wanted to get the miles over 30. This year the RW schedules dont actually show weekly mileage but I like to think I am getting a lot in the bank - that I can withdraw on race day (an analogy I got from somewhere) So come on Guys how many miles did you sub 3:45 hopefuls do this weekend (and how many are you running a week.

Also next Saturday I aim to run 11, so how many is it advisable to run on Friday - an easy 5 ? and the same on the Sunday

I know weekly mileage isnt everything but I dont think I can expect to run sub 3:45 on less than 30/35 a week

Comments

• Options
    Agree Gary, I'm doing 35-40 at the moment, long run up to 13/14 miles, but some of my runs are time on my feet off road where the miles are fewer. I felt the RW schedules started low but maybe with more experience I'd have the confidence to believe them.

Am hoping to get a few weeks in at 45-50 if poss later on, though yesterday someone told me she did up to 58 for a sub-4!!

Is this your first marathon?
  • Options
    You are probably going to hate me for saying this but I very rarely do over 30 a week and am currently running between 3.16and 3.30 on a fairly regular basis.
    It may be that the basic fitness is there.
    It may be that I do avery physical job that doubles as a training session or two.
    It may be that at my age the worry is that I may overtrain and injure my decrepit body

Having said this I have now decided on a final attempt before age defeats me to break 3.15 at this years FLM aand am attempting to train 4 days a week with a peak mileage of 45 miles I just hope my body can cope with the pressure of novelties like speed sessions and fartlek sessions which though attempted in small doses in the past have never been an integral part of my training.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for 3:38 ish and am doing a kind of hybrid 2002/03 and 3:45/3:30 schedule and I did 32 miles this week including a 13.
    My programme basically increases by 2 miles per week in total and by 1 mile on the long run. It peaks at 5 weeks of 45-50 with 5 runs of 18,18,20,20 & 22.
  • Options
    Laura L

No its not my first London its my 8th

In fact my PB was run on just 3 Long runs of no more than 18 miles and my slowest when I ran 5 20 milers
    So I am a bit confused although when the RW schedules get into the 16 + miles category I will run the long runs when and as often as they advise
  • Options
    Gary - is any of that mileage speed work?
  • Options
    Iain

I am starting to incorporate a couple of sessions on a treadmill - I try to use a treadmill to get me off road really as I run at work and the area doesnt have any parks (used to work next to the Grand Union canal which was great)

I am runnning my 5 miles at about 20 seconds slower than marathon pace then upping to 25 seconds quicker than marathon pace for 400 metres then going back down for 1200 metres then back up. To tell you the truth I havent much experience of structured speedwork and would welcome comments on the above