Options

niggles!!

since getting my acceptance i have been plagued by niggles, my knee aches, my back aches,my shins ache, and i have had a blister on one of my feet, i have never suffered from these symptoms before,i havent as yet increased my training very much as onoy following the gyr schedule, i wonder if its psychological!!!

Comments

• Options
    Donna...you are just feeling anxious and are worrying if you are up to the job...believe me...once you get a few good runs behind you...nothing will change and you will feel exactly the same on Marathon day!!! It is all perfectly natural.
    If you are starting to get more sniffles than normal, then perhaps a vitamin supplement might help...i am using Wellman tablets and they are brilliant....Boots do a Wellwoman supplement and they are especially useful for sportswomen or active persons. Apparantly we are all more susceptable to bugs whilst training so good luck and keep worrying...its perfectly natural!!!
  • Options
    i'm also on the wellwoman tabs from boots, i suffered a really bad bout of flu in september which in different forms ie sinuses etc kept me much out of action until just before xmas, dont want to go through that again so hoping that they help.
    thanks
  • Options
    I'm getting a lot of niggles too - but more than aches. A bout of shin splints before Xmas; a small prob with the cuboid bone in my foot this week. Apparently not unexpected in runners who are new to the sport and who start training for a marathon. I think that the most important thing is to listen to my body and learn to distinguish the training aches from the ones that persist. If self-massaging or stretching or putting ice on an injury doesn't clear it up after three days I go and see the physio. It's not cheap (esp as I'm in Central London) but I know now that leaving it is fatal - it'll get worse and will take longer to treat. The peace of mind that I get from seeing an expert about my latest niggle is great - he always (obviously) knows what to do and how to make it better and nearly always (so far) sorts it out quickly because I go to him quickly. So I spend less time worrying about the niggles. I realise that not everyone can afford to go to a physio at will, but I'm lucky and it works for me.
    Good luck, we're all in the same boat!
    MB
  • Options
    Donna...you are not alone! Only one of each seems to work for me ie bad right foot / good left; bad left ankle / good right; bad left calf / good right etc...

Not as sensible as MB...just assuming that they are all training aches!

Good luck with the training
  • Options
    Never heard of a psychological blister before, Donna!
    How old are your shoes? I start picking up a variety of pains when they've had it..

Andrew
  • Options
    I recommend getting a monthly sports massage. It helps break down the scar tissue and assists with those aches. Be warned though, the actual massage isn't pleasurable if it is done right!
  • Options
    bought a new pair of shoes yesterday, so hopefully my pyschological blister will dissapear!!