Options

Getting Started

After years of deciding I wasn't built to run (I'm too heavy and a keen cyclist) I decided to give running a try. My aim, to shed quite a few pounds and get fitter. I been out twice in the last week, mostly walking the first time, a little less walking and more jogging the second time. I'm off out for my 3rd session late this afternoon. Any advice, encourage would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    Paul

I switched to running after being very heavily involved in cycling. At first I found the aerobic side of runnig not a problem but my legs just couldn't keep up with my heart. All I did to overcome this was start off on short runs & build up VERY slowly. Overtime it will come good ( then bad,good,bad,good...) so stick with it and feel free to combine it with cycling at the same time.

Enjoy
  • Options
    Paul
    same situation here. I cycled because i felt too heavy to run, plus it was easier on the back. The best advice i got was go to a Real runner's shop and get a good pait of shoes, they make a BIG diference. then take it easy. I'm so hyped about running at the moment it's hard to stay in sometimes, hence hanging around here.
    stay with it !
  • Options
    Paul

I'm 2 sessions ahead of you, having just finished my 5th run. I'm running when I can, walking when I can't, and timing myself on the same route each time - already made a 5 minute improvement, so that I can see myself get better.

I'm also forcing myself out every other day - no excuses at all, which explains why I ended up running through freezing fog last week - that was unpleasant!

A lot of people on this site use races as "motivation" - personally, at my stage, I'm terrified of them, but can see the value of "working towards something". Oh, and I also run occasionally with a mate (sickeningly better than me), which helps keep me motivated.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, I'll keep on ploding. I'm running in some Nike ACG shoes, but am not sure whether they are running shoes or cross trainers, but have a pair of Adidas Supernova Control shoes on order.
  • Options
    One motivational aide I find really useful is a running log. Being untechy, I write mine long hand, but there are lots of threads about online versions. I started mine after three weeks running, and have logged all the usual stuff plus what the weather's like and if I've seen a heron along the canal where I run. It's nice to look back and see that I have made progress, even when it doesn't feel like it.