Options

Morton's Neuroma

It seems that I have a neuroma in my left foot. I guess it's been bothering me for awhile, but started really hurting last weekend during my long run. The podiatrist told me that surgery was the only cure. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem? Was there anything you did that made it hurt less? I still want to run in London in April!

Comments

• Options
    I think I may have it but I'm not sure. Many of the symptoms match up but I haven't had it diagnosed yet. Life is complicated by osteoarthritis in my big toe.

My arch across my foot has collapsed which may make the problem worse, I'm going to try to get an arch support for this. Not sure if it will be any good but I'm hoping it will relive the pressure on the nerve somewhat.
  • Options
    (OK I admit, was intrigued & had to look this up!)
    my search engine came up with a few websites but www.fred.net/ultrunr/neuroma.html has a lot of messages from people in similar situations. Some have had surgery & been OK & there was mention of steroid injections and Vitamin B6 & I which have to be worth a go. Good luck!
  • Options
    Although I personally don't have experience of this, my sister had a neuroma removed last year.
    She had been getting pain from it for about 2 and a half years and just put up with it, until it finally got too painful to bear. As she had left it so long and the problem had become chronic, she had to have surgery to remove it. She was told that had she dealt with it when the symptoms were mild, it could have been cured with a cortisone injection.
    Hopefully you won't have left it too late and if you can cure it with cortisone it should only keep you from running for about a week (I had an injection in my foot a few months ago and it doesn't cause too much disruption). If surgery is the only option, then going by how long it took for my sister's recovery, you'll have to give it a miss this year.
    I'm not qualified to say what you should do, but personally I'd give the cortisone a go first and do the surgery as a last resort if that doesn't work.

Hope that helps and the best of luck!!
    Let us know how it goes
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know precisely what your symptoms have been Lindsay and on what basis the podiatrist has diagnosed Mortons Neuroma, and why he/she thinks surgery is what is needed now

don't get me wrong you might have a really good podiatrist - if he/she can answer your questions then stick with their advice

genuine Morton's Neuroma is quite rare

all things being equal, I might be tempted by the steroid like RR says
  • Options
    Big Al-
    It is a sharp electric-feeling pain on the underside of my left foot between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals. It doesn't hurt every time I step, but when the nerve cathces... OUCH. It doesn't really bother me on really short runs, either. It seems to be more of a problem after 7 or 8 miles. I doesn't hurt to touch, and feels kind of numb (for a couple of minutes) right after the electric pain goes away. If I move my foot around with my hands, it feels like something is crunching in the front by where it sometimes hurts (though this doesn't actually cause pain).

The podiatrist I spoke to really didn't give me much time at all. I asked about orthotics or any other non-surgery options, and he said that they were possible, but really didn't offer a cure for a runner. He didn't even suggest cortizone- I guess I could try that. The problem is that my podiatrist is in the US, and I'm over here. (I'm American grad student over here.) Do you know how I might get to talk to someone over here? Or do you think it could be something besides a neuroma?

Anyway, thank you all for your help and advice! I'll keep looking around and I'll let you know if I learn anything interesting.

Lindsay
  • Options
    Morton's neuromas are a real problem! Only surgery will really cure the problem, cortisone will only give short-lived relief,arch supports spread the metatarsal heads to avoid pressure on the nerve but don't solve the problem.I suggest speaking to your kind GP about injecting it as a first try.(I injected my wife's one recently so she could go skiing,successful until just after the holiday)
    PS I case you wondered yes I am a doctor and no it isn't named after me! not that illustrious
    Best of Luck, as I know how if feels to have chronic injuries interfering with training
  • Options
    I've been struggling with this for years now as I have Morton's toe on both feet. The problem is only really bad under my right foot, but on a long run it can be excruciatingly painful. I found the best way to deal with it is to tape a cotton wool ball under the painful spot. Use surgical tape and wrap it right across the underside of your foot. Works for me.
  • Options
    I have had Morton's Neuroma since my last London (2000) and I am convinced it was caused by my then racing shoes being too tight.

It can be cured without surgery - ONLY do that as a last resort. I have mine currently under control through:
    a) Choosing shoes with a nice, wide toebox (Saucony are good, and NB do multiple widths)
    b) my podiatrist altered my orthotics and added what seemed like enormous lumps to raise my metatarsal arch. They were uncomfortable to start with and caused humungous blisters, but Compeed will take care of those. Now I don't really notice them, and am currently running about 65 miles per week with no ill effects.

Hope this helps

Edward