Options

Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Options
    Minks - 34B to 34E - didn't last though.... as I keep saying on here (sorry, I know I'm boring) now back to 34A/B :o(

Fab news on the scan Austro :o)
  • Options
    Very exciting DCM, I am almost 19 weeks but am beginning to wish time away. Like you I seem to relapse some days to my first trimester state. Must have been the excitment of the football, a 4 mile walk and 2 hours of painting the decking, but I too was pay hommage to the big white bowl in the bathroom last night. Shame as hubbie had cooked a lovely BBQ meal, and we were enjoying sitting on our newly painted deck.

Managed to swim this morning but feel pretty tired now.

I haven't run at all so far, mainly due to 8 weeks of all day and night sickness, but am now swimming 2-3 times per week and walking 3-4 miles 3 times a week. Am not too worried either, have had injuries lasting longer than 9 months in the past!
  • Options
    Ploddingalong

Your locum doctor is talking bunkum! Take no notice. As long as you are plodding along, listening to your body and not being stupid, everything is fine. The only thing to watch for -as already mentioned - is overheating and making sure you are even better hydrated than before. If you do this you'll be fine.

It's far better to keep doing what you're used to, just use your common sense - which sounds like you are anyway. You're doing fine.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Very excited to report I can now 'legitimately' join this thread - tested positive yesterday!

Taken from the first day of my last period, I am 5 weeks today! Am still in shock! Definitely recommend using BBT charting if you are trying to conceive and have an irregular cycle - it really helped me to focus on when my fertile days might be.

Feeling no different from normal at the moment, except having difficulty sleeping (for about the past 3-4 days). Went for a 10.5 mile run yesterday - hubby insisted on accompanying me on his bike. Ironically me being pregnant might just be the only way to get him out exercising again - he's threatening to run with me on the shorter runs too! At least he isn't trying to stop me - yet ...

Obviously I ran a lot slower than usual - kept it comfortable and made sure I didn't get too hot, and took on plenty of water. Oddly I'd been struggling to run at my normal pace last week without getting a bit breathless so kind of suspected I might be pregnant - still couldn't quite believe it yesterday when I did the test though! Hubby thought I was winding him up at first!

How do you know if you're overheating? Things I've read say it's fine to exercise as long as you don't overheat - but how would I know if I was overheating? I normally sweat quite a lot anyway but presumably that's normal - if you don't sweat you overheat! I'm hoping I'll be able to carry on running but will use common sense and listen to my body. Feel absolutely normal at the moment though so fingers crossed it stays that way!
  • Options
    Minks! Thats so fantastic. Take it steady won't you. 10.5 miles is maybe a bit too far, but see how you go. I did wonder when I read your comments on the training thread. Congratulations, knew it would happen sooner or later.

Wearing a heart rate monitor helps to monitor how you're going as the old heart rate goes up by 20-30 beats to normal.
    I get kind of hot flushes I think you'll know when you are too hot. Best to run early am or later at night to stay cool. Hope you manage to keep it up, but don't despair if you don't. I thought I'd be gutted but its not so bad. In fact its easier than being injured as you know when the end is!

And big congrats again!
  • Options
    Minks - FAB news! Well done.
    I would suggest you see how you go re: nausea etc. If the BP hadn't got me, then the puking for 15 weeks would ;o)
    Having said that, at 5 weeks (and totally unaware of being pregnant) I did my best ever 18 mile training run for NY marathon!

Good luck
    Hegs x
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

MM, is 10.5 miles really too far? Not really sure what's 'safe' and what's not in terms of distance, but figured as long as I took it very easy, hydrated loads and didn't overheat, I'd be OK. Certainly didn't feel tired afterwards, probably felt fresher than usual after a long run as the pace was slower (8:45m/m compared with my usual 8-8:15m/m average pace). I don't usually wear a HRM as a) I find them uncomfortable as the chest strap always chafes, and b) I get really frustrated if I have to walk. But maybe I should look at 8 miles max for a long run at the moment - overall I've been managing 30 miles a week, but will cut down if it feels too much. Early days yet so will listen to my body.

Hegs, thanks :-) Out of interest, if there is going to be nausea, tiredness etc, when is it likely to kick in? As I said, to date I feel 100% - is there a point at which sickness and fatigue will suddenly hit me like a truck??
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS MINKS!
    That's fantastic news for a Monday!!
    The shock is normal...I am still trying to come round to being pregnant at 12 weeks. When I found out my head was whirring with thoughts on how to deal with work, running, travelling etc. Probably the reason why I also had problems sleeping.

Take it easy with the running. What's the point in risking anything after all the work you have put in ;-) I am sure you will keep good fitness levels even if your runs are shorter and slower. Maintaining an adequate level of fitness is my main aim so I have a decent basis to work on when I feel up to training once the little one is born. Someone I spoke to says her running has improved since the birth so that is a nice hope to cling on to!

I have surprised my bf with how careful I have become with running...only run for max. 50 minutes now around 3 times a week. I do not let my HR go over 130 - that was my own personal choice. I want to keep this going as long as possible but am prepared to give up and turn to alternatives if I feel I can't run any more.

I am also unsure on the overheating. As it is really hot in Austria at the mo I am finding it hard getting out. I managed to run at 8am on Sat but it was aleady in the mid 20s. I was too lazy to get out of bed on Sun at that time and by the evening I was hungry and tired so didn't go...

Enjoy letting your news sink in and let us know how you are developing!

• Options
    For me Minks it was 6-7 weeks, then tiredness hit me, but then I am having twins so everything in double as they say. At the peak it was probably 10-12 weeks I felt very rough and some days didn't get out of bed. But you may be fine, just take it steady, its really not worth it, believe me.

If I was running I would probably only do 30-40 mins every other day I must admit, and I usually run 70 plus.
  • Options
    Congrats Minks, i was probably about 7 or 8 weeks till nausea and tiredness hit, but it only lasted till about 15 weeks or so, good luck and take it easy.
  • Options
    On the sickness and fatigue fron:

I think I have been very lucky. I got and still get bouts of nausea mainly at work...maybe it's just work though that makes me feel ill! I have so far never thought I will actually be sick and it passes fairly quickly.
    I have suffered more from fatigue and found this frustrating. This seems to have passed to a great extent. I often had to go and lie down at the weekend for a couple of hours and felt exhausted already in the afternoon at work.

• Options
    I think I'm suffering more than most I had to and still am sleeping for an hour or so when I get in from work, and 2-3 hours in the afternoons at the weekend. Its about 3pm I start to feel exhausted, but today am tired already!
  • Options
    I found the nausea and sickness started at 6-7 weeks and peaked at about 9-11. Definite improvement came at about 15 weeks....

Having said that, 4 of my friends have had completely healthy pregnancies with not one sign of nausea or sickness. Interestingly, they all had girls and I had a boy.
  • Options
    Congrats Minks. Thats just fantastic news.

I think my sickness and tiredness started at around 6 wks..and I only managed a few runs. It was the tiredness more than the sickness that stopped my running. I was just coming home from work ready to sleep and then sleeping 10-12 hrs a night and waking up the next morning still tired!

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    So it looks as though I have a few weeks to go before I find out whether I'm going to be hit with nausea and/or fatigue. And there was me thinking I was maybe off the hook! That said, my mum didn't experience any nausea or fatigue during her two pregnancies, and out of 4 friends who've recently had babies two had fatigue but no nausea (one had a girl, the other a boy), one had nausea but no fatigue (and had a girl), and one threw up for England (and also had a girl)!

From what you've all said maybe I should cut down on the running a bit, although while I feel fine I'm tempted to carry on as normal but just take it much more slowly. Have made an appointment with my GP for Thursday morning so will discuss it with him too. I remember him telling me that one of his colleagues ran 10 miles every other day while pregnant so hopefully he'll be supportive! (Not that I'm planning anything like that!) I'm hoping to get away with 3-5 miles, 4 times a week as things progress - but will have to see how it all goes. The baby will come first - it's only 9 months out of my life after all.
  • Options
    Hi Minks

Congratulations! I am so pleased for you! You and hubbie must be over the moon!

Right - overgeating. Overheating generally happens when you stop sweating, you start to feel you have heavy legs, when you normally wouldn't, you can't push it as hard as you normally would, you feel dizzy/sick, you can't cool down. The first thing to look for is a lack of sweating - as you naturally sweat quite a lot (like most runners) this should eb easy to spot.

And I agree with MM - 10 miles is a long way. My longest run used to 13+ miles, but I'm down to 3-4 now. This isn't due to effort, but the effects of overheating - it's much more likely over a longer distance, as your body can't always absorb the fluids quick enough to cool you down. It's better to be safe than sorry - especially after all you've been through.

BUT, it is entirely your decision, and you have to go on how you feel - maybe restricting long runs to cool weather and getting hubbie to have huge quantities of fluids on pushbike for you?

PS - I had no sickness and was only tired for one week (after a very late night - just didn't seem able to catch up) and I am ever so grateful for that!
  • Options
    It varies so much from person to person, not many people I know have been sick, most have some kind of nausea, and all had fatigue. It is a funny tiredness as well as nothing seems to cure it. Sometimes at the weekend I sleep for 3 hours in the afternoon, then like MrsT for 10-12 hours at night, and it makes no difference!

Swam 1.8km this morning and am zonked!

I am 19 weeks and still nauseous after my evening meal most nights, although last night was first time for 2 weeks I've actually been sick. A vast improvement but would be good if it would go away completely.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks LozF, that's very helpful. How far along are you now? I definitely didn't overheat yesterday then - everything felt very comfortable, I sweated loads, drank a good litre of water during the run, and didn't feel heavy or try to push it. Certainly didn't feel dizzy/sick. It felt more like a long jog than a long run, and I could easily chat to Mr. Minks the whole time.

Saturday was a different story (I hadn't found out at that point that I was pregnant). Bought new running shoes on Saturday and was keen to take them for a 'test drive'. Only did 4 miles thankfully, as it was 28+ degrees and I was really struggling for breath at 7:30/8:00m/m pace. Felt a bit sick afterwards and was lobster-red - won't be doing that again! Nor will I be sitting in a smoky pub drinking three bottles of Bud while watching the World Cup (as I did last Tuesday).

Think I'll just have to play it by ear regarding how far I run, but perhaps only go up to 5 or 6 miles if it's generally considered that 10 is too much. I'd like to be able to at least continue to run my 6-mile route as it goes through the local country park, which I love.
  • Options
    Hi Minks

I'm 15 weeks at the mo. I'm just starting to show now - my pot belly (which no matter how thin I've been in the past has always been there) is distinctly stuck out now, and I'm in fat pants. They're a bit big at present, but they are or so comfy!
  • Options
    Hi Loz,

I am glad to read you are starting to show cos I am a few weeks behind you and already starting to feel like a bloater. I now can't pull my tummy in and I felt more self-conscious than normal in a bikini (yikes!) yesterday.
    My waist has expanded by about 4 cm and I reckon I have already put on just over 1/2 kilo (1-2 pounds). Hard to tell cos my weight fluctuates immensely.
    Bit obsessed about the weight thing and praying I don't put on too much...not that it is stopping me from eating.
  • Options
    Hi Astro

Weirdly, I haven't actualy put on much weight. My waist has expanded by about 6-8 cm, and I've gone up a bra size, yet I've only put on 1/2 kilo. (For that waist increase I'd normally expect to have put on around 2 kilos!)For someone who's spent her life fighting her weight, that doesn't seem to make sense! I have to keep reminding myself that it's perfectly normal.

I am partial to a beer/wine or two though, and I think the stopping drinking is helping the weight scenario - my face even looks a bit thinner!

I think you notice your stomach more than others as you are always looking at it(I do - I keep looking at myself sideways on in the mirror!)

I just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not. I figure my body will tell me what I need. I just wish I hadn't developed such a sweet tooth. I can't walk past chocolate any more (which I never had a problem with before.)
  • Options
    I put on 4lbs in the first trimester, and am now about a stone heavier than normal. I think when you're petite and skinny though you do have to put on more weight, and with twins I guess more so.

I asked my Mum whether she had any piccies of when she was preggers with twins 30 years ago, and she said she didn't have any, but she did say she couldn't drive in the last few weeks, as couldn't get behind the steering wheel!

I was eating loads but am now getting very full after eating small amounts, and not terribly hungry, I guess it goes in phases though.
  • Options
    P.S My waist has grown by 4cm in the just the last week! Overall its grown by nearly 20cm!
  • Options
    20 cm on a normally petite and skinny frame! I would spend ages in front of the mirror in amazement. Hope you are taking lots of piccies cos you'll probably forgot how big you got in the future.
    I keep seeing pregnant women everywhere now and can't help staring and thinking I can not imagine myself with such a belly!

Are you moisturising your expanding parts religiously? If so, what are you using?
  • Options
    I guess its happened quite gradually, but yes I do keep looking at my side view in shock. I don't look pregnant from behind though am told. Which is good!

I keep catching hubbie starring at me, I guess at my expanding belly (he commented on Sat as he was giving me a hug, 'My god you're huge!'), but also I now have a cleavage which is a shock for him too, given I used to have two fried eggs!

I am using some Aloe Vera stuff I use on my eczema, as my tummy is everso itchy, its called Forever Living Aloe Propolis. My hubbie is a distributer, but am sure you could find one near you.

I've heard that nothing much helps to prevent stretch marks though if you're prone to them then you are and thats that.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Austro, I was just about to ask that re. moisturising. I plan to start doing that straight away. OK, maybe it won't prevent stretch marks, but it can't do any harm and at least if I do get stretch marks I'll know I tried my best to prevent them as much as possible.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly I gain weight and grow out of my normal clothes. My mum reckons she didn't go into maternity clothes until she was 6 months with me, but I was a small baby (5lb). I'm normally a size 6 (probably a size 4, actually, as most of my 6s are too big) so hopefully will be able to get away with normal clothes for a while yet.

I really hope I don't expand massively all over - I hate the thought of ending up with 'back flab' and big upper arms. A nice, neat bump would do me fine!
  • Options
    I've been using Palmers cocoa butter on my tummy.....again just in case it helps prevent! I have a dry skin anyway, so have always used a moisturiser, so it's not much different for me.

I'm rather large to start off with, so I think the bump is maybe less prounounced on me! I already have big arms and shoulders, so I've not really got to worry about that! I'm most definitely not the dainty type (size 8 feet, size 14 bottoms and 18 top - just to get round my shoulders!)

So I really hope I don't get any bigger - but it does mean I have plenty of room for tummy to grow in my shirts, as they are always massive in the waist!
  • Options
    I've not got bigger anywhere else Minks, maybe a bit looser but thats cos the muscles tend to relax I think. Maternity clothes round my bum are a bit loose, but I need them for my waist. I was a 6/8 but started showing pretty quickly, so you may just need some looser type trousers for a while.

Can't compare to me really though as I have two. Arrhhh! Sudden realisation!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hopefully I'll be able to get away with normal clothes for a fair while then, MM. It's a shame that Gap in the UK doesn't do maternity wear - they do in the US. I comfortably fit into a US size 0 in Gap clothes, so it would be good to be able to buy the maternity version of the same size.

I've looked on their website but they don't ship outside the US. Think I'll suggest going to New York for a holiday just as I start needing a new wardrobe!