Options

asics 2100 vs 2090

I got a pair of 2100s in the summer when they were on special offer but have only just started running in them after waering out my last pair of 2090s. After about 100 miles I have had a receurrence of achilles tendinitis in my left foot. I got re-videoed and the pronation that had been 'cured' by orthotics in my 2090s has reappeared in the left foor while wearing the 2100s. The pod felt the shoes and reckons the heel counter is either not as supportive as the old model(or is somehow defective in this pair). He's suggested I write to the shop and ask them to try and send them back to Asics. Anyone else had any probs with the switch?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sluggie

I had no trouble with thr switch although I can confirm that there are sometime manufacuring defects. The first pair of 2100s I got had been stiched badly on the tow box leaving a ridge across the toes whic would have caused paingful rubbing. I just returned them to Startfitness where I'd ordered them from and got a replacement.

Hope the tendinitis clears up for you.
  • Options
    Hi,

The 2100's gave me an arch blister on my left foot compared to my 2090's. Really annoying as I loved my 2090's as all other Asics gave me the same blister. I'm now running in old favourites Brookes Adrenaline.
    Could this just be a manufacturing fault too??
  • Options
    I got blisters from asics shoes as well. So I stick with Saucony now.
  • Options
    sluggie not had any problems yet with making the switch but the forefoot cushioning is a little more robust in the 2100's which may slightly alter the gait in the back of the shoe if you're wearing orthotics. Thing is, do you buy new shoes or new orthotics..? Both are expensive - maybe look around for an equivalent shoe..? Also take the orthotics with you when you're testing them out..?
  • Options
    altered gait at back of shoe may be relevant! Switched to Kayanos now and seem to be OK
  • Options
    ahhh see Kayano's have more cushioning at the back! So it will have evened it out again!
  • Options
    Sluggie I too had 2090s that wore down in summer and guess what I too have orthotics got NB 1050 which were ok now a bit flat. So brought a pair of 2100s in the New Year sale hopefully I wont have same probs.

Have had a couple of injuries over the year (who hasn't) seems ok after long run yesterday - very comfortable. The woman in shop saw me running in them and said they were better than the Gel Kyanio XI which dont seem to work with the orthotics as well.

So watch this space. I'll let you know if I get any probs
  • Options
    I had 2 pairs of 2100 last year and had no problems with either. Just bought the new 2110's today. Feel harder in the mid sole though. But I did prefer the 2090 2 years ago. I have seen some stalls at races selling the 2090's cheaply but never had a enough cash or card on me at the time.

• Options
    I have just switched from Asics to Brooks. I bought the 2110's and after wearing them around the house, took them back and swapped them for the brooks GTS6. I'm a wide (2E) fit and the arch was huge on the Asics. A very knowledgable guy in the shop said Asics are now concentrating on high arches and may stop their wide fit.
  • Options
    Hi - interested to see all the comment on the forum re GT2100 problems. I got a pair at Christmas and, since shortly after started using them, I've been getting pains in the lower left leg and left foot. All the complaints on the forum seem to be about the left foot / leg!

I moved from Nike Air Max - the GT2100's are definitely lighter but there's something going on with the motion control.

I know I should dump them but they're brand new!! Aaargh!
  • Options
    I loved the 2090s and having nearly worn them out bought a pair of 2100s in Jan 2005. Having struggled to break them in (lower leg pain) I continued with them thinking that they would eventually come good but the pain in my lower legs (shin splints) got worse and I then switched back to my old 2090s (and managed to pick up a new pair of 2090s) at which point I felt OK again.

In conclusion, I felt the 2100s possibly offered "too much" support and were overcorrecting me - a shame because they felt very comfortable (when not running!!!). I may drop down to a 1110 for my next purchase...