Options

Runny noses

Can anyone tell me (seriously) why my nose runs so much when running? I read in a previous issue of RW that women tend to suffer from this affliction more than men and that approximately 60% of us women are constantly having to reach for tissues. Does anyone know why?

Comments

• Options
    No idea, but I doscovered today that my pockets aren't waterproof, so off to buy the little plastic wrapped packs
  • Options
    I'm male and get this too. I'd like to know the answer. I carry a handkerchief but forgot it this morning, so did that horrible nose clearing thing.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm a lady with the same problem, although I may not use lady ways as I always do the 'horrible' nose clearing thing. It can be done quite discreetly with practice and afterall it's only clear fluid.
  • Options
    It's not too bad on a quiet road but I don't fancy doing it in the middle of a crowd of 30,000 runners - my aim isn't that good yet!
  • Options
    Does your nose just run when it's cold or in any weather ?
    If it is just when it's cold try this tip.....put a little vasalene on your finger and smooth it on the inside both nostrils before you run...it may make you sneeze a couple of times but it may just do the trick..if it doesn't no harm done Good luck
  • Options
    lesta
    vaseline's a good idea,i put some under my nose on all long runs, my nose runs like a tap but i no longer have a sore nose from the constant wiping and blowing.
  • Options
    It runs all the time - rain or shine. Thanks for vaseline tip - I'll try it tomorrow and report back.
  • Options
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but my "gym man" gave me an explanation for my runny nose: he told me that because when you're exercising your heart is pumping faster, your body produces more white blood cells - which then come out via your nose! This made sense to me, but doesn't explain the difference between men and women...
  • Options
    I was told the reason your nose runs is its your bodys way of warming the air you breath in,thats why it runs more in cold weather and because a dog has a higher body temprature than us it always has a wetnose.
  • Options
    I have a very runny nose when running and couldn't carry the required number of tissues! Therefore always discreetly do the nose thing, but never when passing people or near slow moving cars.
    At FLM at 22 miles and knackered, if my nose needs clearing, clearing it will get!
  • Options
    How good is the RW forum? Now I no longer feel a freak due to my seriously streaming nose - noone else in my running club seems to suffer and I thought it was just me and I had crap sinuses or something. Now I realise it's just because I have a very efficient air warming system :) Thanks forumites for adding a reasuring note to my day
  • Options
    My nose ALWAYS runs..very irritating. Was asked if I was pregnant the other day because I had so many tissues stashed in my front fleecy pocket! Was appropriately appalled having lost half a stone in the last couple months!

With regard to the nose clearing thing people do - had a nasty experience at the Reading Half last year when some guy cleared his nose and barely missed me with it's produce! Urgh!
  • Options
    Abi

I had the same problem doing a 10K recently, I had to swerve to avoid being 'hit' and nearly knocked over two other runners.

I have always had a runny nose when running, glad to know it is not just me.

Whizzy