Options

Dirty Trainers!

I ran my first 10K today (Cotswold Canter) 1 hour and 3 minutes - very very chuffed (and puffed) with the result.

I bought some new trainers only the other week - New Balance. They are really, really dirty! I have washed them in the sink and they still look awful. Do 'real' runners worry about dirty trainers? Or should I just put them in the washing machine? Any advice?

Toddy

Comments

• Options
    mmm, could be risky sticking them in the washing machine, best not! If you have removed all the excess dirt, you could try white shoe polish and white canvas cream (assuming its the white part that ain't coming up white anymore!)

btw, congratulations on the 10k! I haven't quite got to that stage yet, but that sounds like a decent enough time. Also, what is a "REAL" runner? I would call you a "REAL" runner by the fact that you're entering races and enjoying it.

Jonny
  • Options
    Toddy, well done on your 1st 10k - great feeling isn't it ;-)

I'd not worry about your trainers being dirty - you should see mine after the Epsom Perch today it was very very muddy!

I have tried putting trainers through the machine when my cycling ones smelt so bad hubbie was about to throw them away and they come out ok but I'm not sure it is very good for them - I would expect the insoles to fall apart after a few cycles.

And in this weather they will soon get dirty again.

If you can run 10k that fast you are definately a real runner!

Lindi
  • Options
    Filthy trainers are a badge of honour. Don't put them thru the washing machine!!!

They'll fall apart eventually. Take them out in a good storm and they'll soon clean up a bit: meanwhile feel smug that you don't look like one of those sad people in glow-white trainers and sports gear, waiting for a bus with a fag in one hand and a JJB bag in the other.

:-)
  • Options
    Take two nails: knock into wall:
    Hang trainers on nails (one on each):
    Leave in position until 5 mins before next run:
    Remove trainers from nails:
    Bang soles hard against nearest wall (pref outside if Mrs is looking):
    Place on feet:
    Run:
    Clean trainers are for wuss's:
    Ps if you want to put them through the machine use a cold wash without any powder anything will break down the glue and they will fall apart
  • Options
    I've been told putting trainers/running shoes in the washing machine is not a good idea. If you want to keep them cleanish then wash them with water and leave them to dry out or my favourite way of getting rid of mud is to find a nice big puddle near the end of a run and run right through it great fun. I must say i'm proud of my mucky running shoes, shows i'm a proper runner who's not worried about a little bit mud. I almost find a childlike enjoyment of splashing through puddles and mud (perhaps something to do with being brought up on a farm). Also running on soft ground is good for strengthening ankles/joints etc, a harder workout than running on a hard surface and easier on the joints. Also the air is much fresher and the scenery much better, no cars whizzing past, horrible exhaust fumes etc
  • Options
    Clean trainers may be for wusses, but those of us who live on first floor flats with no outside space and pale carpets need reasonably clean trainers. I also think my employer might have something to say if I left my shoes muddy when I run from work.

I tend to let mine dry out on newspaper and then brush off the worst of the mud with a stiff brush (the kind that are aimed at suede shoes are best). If I need to use them the next day before they've had a chance to dry out, I tend to sponge them down on the outside to get the worst of the mud off and then balance them on newspaper on the radiator. Makes them a bit smelly (that semi-mouldy smell that you get when you make trainers wet) but I guess they would be fairly stinky anyway...

MB
  • Options
    Toddy, don't put your trainers in the washing machine. No no no no no no no no no no no. When you have finished with them as running shoes and you wear them for knocking about in and you don't care what happens to them, then you can.
  • Options
    Mike19Mike19 ✭✭✭
    Help!!! Just purchased some new trainers... how does one face the shame of being seen out in virgin trainers?

I'm proud of my dirty shoes why waste time trying to clean shoes you're going to mess up again really soon.

1. Let them dry
    2. brush off the mud
    3. put them on
    4. Run
    5. repeat until worn out.
  • Options
    Wear your old trainers out, have your new ones in a bag. Find a muddy spot, and while noones looking rub mud all over them. Sorted.
  • Options
    Anyone seen at our Club in clean white new trainers seems to find their toes being trodden on a lot or that they are shoved in puddles when out for a run.
    (All done in the name of friendship)
  • Options
    I find that a bowl of warm water and an old toothbrush is adequate to remove excess dirt from your trainers. No need for washing machines, soap, whitener etc.
    When having run in wet lay em on paper and stick em in front of a radiator to dry by themselves. If very wet then take out insole to spped up process.
  • Options
    Okay! I swear I will never wash my trainers in the washing machine. I loved all your replies. Thank you.

I shall wear my trainers muddy like a badge of honour!

Although someone at work could not believe they are only 7 days old. Nevermind.

Cheers,

Toddy