Options

Jack Daniels - opinions?

Anyone heard of Jack Daniels, or his book Daniels' Running Formula? Sounds like he has some very interesting ideas. I came some articles of his on the web, and am now considering getting the book to help me tune my training program for FLM.

My FLM target is 3:15, which I considered challenging, but according to his "VDOT" table, I should be capable of 3:04 based on my 10k time. Coincidentally (?), last night I ran 8 x Yasso 800s (with short recoveries of 2:10 or so) in an average of 3:08, which backs that up. I'm thinking his ideas could help me actually achieve this.

Anybody out there read the book?

cheers
venom

PS: some links

His page at Amazon

Article part one, two, three, four and five

Comments

• Options
    Wow - v complex. What's your 10-k time btw ?
  • Options
    Hi Cougie - 10k time is 39:51 (set at Brighton in mid-November in almost perfect racing conditions).

JD's prediction, and my Yasso times have given me a big confidence boost in the last 24 hours. I made a typo above btw, my Yasso average was 3:06 yesterday, and that was at a relatively low heart rate of 178 - 182 for the laps (I can maintain 188 - 192 for a 10k race). Now I just need to maintain the training......
  • Options
    Venom

Jack has a column in the US RW called, in typically understated fashion, World's Best Coach! He is, though, very highly regarded by our American chums, and certainly the stuff that he writes for them is very good and makes sense.

Rob
  • Options
    Venom - you sound similar to me then - PB for 10k of 39.summat. My Half PB is a 1.26, and I'm aiming for 3.15 in London.

I have NO idea what a Yasso is though. I tend to run 6 miles kinda flat out, and then longer runs at the weekend. Occasionally some speed work on the treadmill at the gym, but if I thought too much about running - I'd prob forget how to do it !
  • Options
    There's an article about Yasso 800s here.

Basically the idea is that if you're capable of running a marathon in a given number of hours and minutes (e.g. 3 hours 15) you should be capable of running 10 times 800m in the equivalent number of minutes and seconds (i.e. 3 minutes 15 seconds), leaving the same length of time between for recoveries.

It's an interesting idea, and a lot of people seem to think it works. Of course, a lot of people also don't think it works (there's two or three threads here about it).
  • Options
    NOW I'm with you !

I shall certainly give this one a try when I can get down to the track - not just yet though - need time to get fitter !

Cheers Venom !
  • Options
    Check out Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfiztinger (10th 1984 Olympic Marathon) and Scott. Includes day by day training plans for speeds and no of weeks training available.
  • Options
    I'd be wary of predicting race times for a marathon based on 10k - for example my 10k time (37.31) is about 2 minutes faster than Cougies SC but my half time (88.03 I think) about 2 minutes slower. Should I run a marathon faster or slower ?

Btw I am provisionally aiming for 3.15 in a mara this Autumn.