Options

Shin problems!?!

I am doing the FLM and did a few 5km runs before xmas but my plan was to start the real training around now as I have been on holiday for 3 weeks. The furthest I have run previously was a 10km race in Oct 2002.

I went on a 35 minute run outside on Sunday (my 1st run for a month) and it went fine. However on Monday my right shin really started hurting whenever I walked.

I wasn't sure whether to run again on Tuesday but thought I'd give it a try. So I ran at the gym for 30 mins and it went fine. But as soon as I started walking again it started to hurt again. Strange that it doesnt hurt when i run, just when I walk!

Today it still hurts when I walk and if I stretch my toes out and hold the front of my shin I can feel a creaking noise!

Does anyone know what this might be (shin splints?) and what I should do. Should I rest it for a while?

I dont see how I could have done any damage as I haven't exerted myself at all really.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Michael,

See my thread below this called ' Fed Up'

Also go to the Health and Injury forum and look at a couple in there , search for shin splints related threads.

There are many different causes but it does sound like thats what the problem is. It is not the end of the world although you must rest - or do some cross training.
  • Options
    Cheers Chris - I read your fed up thread - good to know someone else has the same experience as me. When you say cross-training - what kind of stuff do you mean. You mentioned to Shufflebuster you had a training schedule for the next 3 and half weeks - any chance I could take a look? How long do you reckon I need to stop running for? - a few days, a week?