Options

Oxford Town & Gown 10K

Comments

• Options
    My first race and it went very well, bit annoyed I didn't get sub 40 mins (40.58) but next time will be better. If the weather was better it wouldn't have been a problem.

Great event, well organised, very happy :-)
  • Options
    Can we have other people's GPS results as my brother and I's GPS gave identical results that showed that the race was over 10k by a substantial distance.

Thanks
  • Options
    AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your lace, Darkman. I'd be well naffed off. Something similar happened to me in a recent race, but the few seconds I lost weren't quite so vital.

This morning was the first time I've raced in the rain too....definitely going to get contact lenses!!!
  • Options
    Finished in 42:30 or thereabouts, a 10k pb, although only my third race at this distance. Happy enough with the time (I was aiming for sub 45 mins), especially as all my training over the last six months has been for endurance rather than speed.

Really enjoyed running a 'home' race, a feeling of freedom on the pavements and roads I normally shuffle along behind hordes of tourists, busker gawpers and strolling shoopers.

Yet a little peeved with the route - a bit repetitive for such a short race and far too narrow and congested in the first 3k.

Still, well done to all finishers.
  • Options
    Glad I wasn't the only one who found things a bit of a squeeze in some places on the course. Could've done with both sides of the road being open in some places really. Found myself slowing up and having to jump onto the pavement n back when a space became available.
  • Options
    Why couldn't the timing loops be automatically activated. It took over twenty seconds for my loop to be read after I crossed the finish line. This is a long time for a runner, which just goes to show that the event is aimed at charities and not runners. My earlier comment that the race is longer than it should be does affect our personal bests, that we have travelled and trained a long time to beat. This race was not geared at all to runners. The fact that it is not conducive to running, and that the results are not posted upto two weeks unless we live in Oxford and buy the local paper, which I do not, I think is not value for money for my entrance fee. Charity all too often in our sport is used as an excuse for shody treatment of runners. Controversial,maybe, you tell me.
  • Options
    Well if you post your race number I'll post your time when I buy the paper.

I know what you mean about the chip scanner at the finish, I luckily hit an empty lane, but thought when a pack hits it'll be a nightmare.

This is the only problem I have with the race..
  • Options
    Wo,

I agree about the timing, it is a pain.
    On another issue you brought up, my Garmin 301 measured this race as 6.74 miles. A good 800 meters over 10k. The thing with this is, it is stated as being a measured course. I know that GPS can be out, but half a mile over this distance is quite a large error.
  • Options
    Another point on the chip timing, if they can auto start it when you cross the start(or did they time it from the gun), why couldnt they do the same at the finish?
  • Options
    Unless they assume everyone started at 10am in which case everyone's time will be totally wrong...
  • Options
    Can someone please remind me of the web address for the results? Can't seem to find it anywhere - I think the rain this morning penetrated my brain and has made it even more sponge-like than usual!!

Thank you. And well done, everyone.
  • Options
    Well I missed the start. I was there double tying my shoes to turn round and find everyone had gone. The start was well marked but not clear when the 'gun' went off. I then was plaing catch up and could probably have done better in a big crowd of people than at the back. I managed about 1hr 6mins which I was pleased with and managed to run pretty much all of it, with exception of about 20 steps in a few places.

The rain didn't bother me too much, i'd have struggled more in the heat so it suited me.

Well done to all with PB's. Think that was one for me too, by about 4 minutes!
  • Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Swanny

My Garmin 201 measured 6.99 miles, noticed it lost the signal a couple of times but that was on a straight bit so it would of filled in the blanks soon as it aquired again which wasn't long. Must admit was a bit strange them using hand held readers and not the usual mat to run over. When I went through the start for the second time I saw the guy packing up the hardware for the start reader which was wires from across the start.
  • Options
    Hi All, fisrt many thanks to all of you who turned up in such bad conditions. With regard to timing you were timed as you crossed the line and automaticaly times as you crossed the finishing line which was 10m in front of the finish banner. Your running time as published will be correct. The handheld scanners in the finish funnels are only there as abach up to the main timing aerial, which given the conditions you may not have seen. Bicking in to the race is agreat idea, we may have to come up the a bike park as chaining them to the railings by South Lodge was dangerious as bits on a bike hurt if anyone runs into them. Next year they will be removed to improve H&S. I now have webbed feet after clearing up in all the mud. Paul R.D.
  • Options
    The first place to see the results will be in the Oxford Mail.

• Options
    Please excuse spelling mistakes, not yet recovered from yesterday.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul. Despite the weather, a great race and a huge big thank you to all the organisers, marshalls, baggage tent people, masseurs etc who were unfailingly cheerful despite being cold and wet!

And thanks to the people of Oxford for turning out in the rain to cheer us on.
  • Options
    Hi all ..... well done on turning out in the rain yesterday, to be honest I enjoyed the rain, better than the heat last year!!

Few minutes above my PB, according to my watch I did it in 57:08 ..... but if it was a little bit longer than 10K hurrah!! Thanks Paul and your team and I'd also like to thank the people of Oxford for turning out in such numbers on a wet sunday morning!! see you next year

PS are there any photos this year?
  • Options
    Might be worth having a look at www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk which is the site run by the Oxford Mail and Times. They may put some photos up but I'm sure there will be a special out in Tuesday's paper for those local.
  • Options
    I was hoping for a sub-48:00 and my watch came in exactly on 48:00 so hopefully from what Paul's said about the chip timing being 10s earlier I'll have made my target.

Other than that I thought this was a well organised race. I had some hassle getting to the start and then losing my parents who were supposed to be guarding my stuff so had to leg it back to the changing rooms, throw my bag at a really nice woman who managed to get my number and leg it back to the start just in time (though didn't get as far forward as I'd have liked). That was all my own fault, but the race officials and volunteers made it all a bit less stressful.

My GPS read 6.48 miles. However, last year it read 6.26 and I'm pretty sure it was exactly the same course. I think I got stuck on quite a few outside bends so did run further than 10K, but otherwise will perhaps have to put it down to the occasional inaccuracy of the GPS.
  • Options
    Paul Felton,

My apologies and thanks for the info on the chip timing. What you did makes sense, as you suggested I didnt see the wire at the finish.

On the GPS distance side of things, maybe i shouldn't rely on my Garmin so much.
  • Options
    The course was measured by an Oxon Official courese measurer and verified by one of the top course measureres in the SEAA.
  • Options
    People were complaining it was short last year!

Glad I missed it though looking at the weather. Hope you've dried out now ST!
  • Options
    Paul .....

one little gripe, and I know I may get moaned at for saying this, but for 13 quid couldn't we have had a goodie bag or medal at the end, I appreciate and agree that entry money go to the charity, but personally I'd pay a coupld of quid for something. Also not everyone runs for charity every time they enter a run.
    I don't wish to sound mean, I'm not I have made a donation by sponsoring someone else.

PS where can I buy a t-shirt?
  • Options
    <shakes last drips of rain from hair>

Dried out now, thanks, TMW!!

Tell me about your marathon - can you email me all about it?
  • Options
    Wanted to say thanks for the event. Considering the rain, things went remarkably well on the day and I should think it was even worse for organisers/marshalls in the rain than for runners.

I'm not surprised Garmins measured the course long. As I understand it, the official route of the race is measured on the shortest distance for a route - ie assuming you take the "racing line" throughout. Some of the roads were very wide and I found myself running to the outside on corners to avoid crowds. But (and there had to be a "but") - having done the extra few yards and got round in 46.40 I was pretty disappointed to see my official time as 47.10 in today's paper. Despite having started well into the 40-50 minute area, and so not at the front, the clock was showing 47.08 from the gun as I passed the line. Then it took a couple of seconds to be swiped by what I now know to be the back-up system. Not sure whether this means there were problems with the chip readers at the start or if we have to wait for the web results to get our "real times"?
  • Options
    The Oxford Mail website doesn't publish the results online (or at least, not yet!) and I can't find an event website for this - can someone tell me where (if anywhere!) the results are published online?

Thank you.
  • Options
    http://oxfordtownandgown.org/

Results due to be put up within 2 weeks of the event.
  • Options
    Thanks Lemony!
  • Options
    There was no problem with the chip readers, the wands were there purely as a back up in case the aerial did not pick up a reading as any runner crossed the finishing line. All times are calculated from the official timekeepers time. Results should be in the Oxford Mail Tuesday or Wednesday.