Options

How slow and easy........

Did this weeks long run, 16 miles, this morning in an average of 8m 55s per mile. My target FLM time is 3h 38m which is about 8m 20s per mile. Now I know that your long run is supposed to be slow and easy and 30-90secs slower than your target marathon time, but whilst I'm managing the slow bit, easy it aint. And for that distance I simply couldn't go any faster than what I did today. Is it supposed to feel easy, like a breeze, cos it doesn't. Only consoling thing is, my route is very hilly whereas FLM is pretty flat.
How comfortably or otherwise do others manage their long slow run?
Like a walk in the park?

Comments

• Options
    I don't get these slow runs either, or jog speeds - on the road I just seem to have one pace and my slower version is still probably 80-90% of that. So if I can run a half comfortably at 12-13k per hour (sub 2hr time) what should jog be - 7k per hour, 10 k per hour? I think it's easier on the treadmill 'cos you just dial the speed in, but on the road is the problem.
  • Options
    Ah well, I have the opposite problem to you guys, but that might be because my likely FLM time is well above 5hrs. I find the slow 'n' easy runs no problem at all - for beginners, it's a bit of a gentle trot and at the end of my long run I do feel I could have kept going for ages. But when I try and do speedwork, I find it very difficult to judge what's 'hard' (versus sprinting, say) and what's 'steady' - in my book everything that's not my gentle long run trot pace is hard effort, but it just depends whether I collapse sooner rather than later. But that's no help, Ben, I'm sorry.
    MB
  • Options
    Hi Ben,

My experience is normally the same as yours. Even when I slow down, running is rarely easy for me. Although I've run two marathons, and through joining a club I know I'm getting faster, I still feel tired running 1 mile at relatively easy pace, and I don't find my long weekend runs "easy" unless I go at probably a couple of minutes per mile slower than I would normally run.

I've concluded that getting older has done this to me - I'm sure it wasn't like this when I was at school! :)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ben, the hills will be making quite a difference, so you are probably well on your way.

The long slow runs, which should be at a pace where you can speak without gasping much (bu**ered if I can go that slow and still be running, but never mind) help to build up a network of capilliaries to provide oxygen for your muscles. What feels slow and probably harder than it should at the moment will stand you in very good stead for the marathon, and for the longer training runs leading up to it. Don't be tempted to miss your long runs (assuming you are not injured or ill) and don't try to push to go faster (hard running can damage the hard won capilliaries). The speed will come naturally in time, as the muscles get stronger and get more oxygen for every breath you take.
  • Options
    Ben,

Another thought occurred to me. I find running feels physically easier when I'm with other people and can chat for a bit of a distraction. I listen to audiobooks on my mp3 player when I'm doing my long runs as up until now I've had to do all of them on my own, but although that's quite a good distraction it's not as effective for me as company.

How about you? Are you able to run with someone else? If you've not tried it, see if you can - you may find it a significant help.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Nessie - Good science stuff! I'm religously sticking to the long runs, and I do think the hills are an issue. Miles 3 to 6 are one long very steep hill, and then the last 2.5 miles is nearly all uphill, so that would explain something I guess. I got a virus for the 2 weeks of my longest pre FLM runs last year and really paid for it on the day, so hoping to avoid that this year.

Pansy Piglet (?) - No I don't have a running partner, and would like one. Listening to audio/music doesn't appeal, for me anyway.