Options

Last few days before FLM

As a first timer to marathon running, I am wondering whether it would be worth me booking the friday before off work and having a nice relaxing day, maybe go for a massage? What are you guys all doing, and any suggestions for an ideal preparation?

Comments

• Options
    Hello mate...this is my first time as well. Unfortunately i will be working until 4pm on Friday. I'm travelling down to London early Saturday to pick up my number and then having a lazy afternoon in the hotel checking out the pool and sauna.
    My advice is to take it easy on the Friday and perhaps have a short 20 minute easy run to keep the legs working. If you are going to the Expo to pick your number up on Saturday like me, then make it as early as you can and then rest. Don't spend hours and hours checking out all the stands at the show...you will kill off your legs without realising it....best of luck....Munners.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm working on the Friday and again travelling on the Saturday to collect my number. I won't spend too long at the expo as it does tire you out.
  • Options
    Flying in on Friday, picking up our numbers in the afternoon, then going to a show to relax. Saturday will then be a nice lazy day, and early to bed
  • Options
    Pre race massage sounds a good idea just been searching for massage services in london , and it seems there are several :>)
  • Options
    I'm working Friday and Saturday but I'll go to bed real early Saturday night.
    As for the massage, make sure it's the right sort as the wrong sort could do you no good at all. Try one the week before and see how you feel.
    good luck.
  • Options
    If you get the chance I would say take the
    Friday off. I did - went for a five mile
    stroll - to pick up my number. Had a last
    beer and some pasta and an early night.
    Saturday - did about a mile of light
    jogging and blobbed out watching videos.
    Woke up on sunday morning well rested and
    calm . . .

natnif
  • Options
    I didn't last year and I won't this year, Rock Orange.

But taking the Monday off might be a good idea because you will be very sore. Having said that, I think this year I shall go to my (non-manual) job and hobble about and use my obvious discomfort as a talking-point to get extra sponsorship.
  • Options
    Taking friday & monday off work,travelling down saturday to pick up chip & number.Going to theatre sat night (mama mia) i found last time i ran FLM i could'nt sleep sat night anyway,1st time nerves i suppose, hopefully i'll get a good 6 hours kip this time.
  • Options
    Definitely will take the Monday off and would recommend that to anyone doing FLM.
  • Options
    There's a massage service at the expo. I had a back massage which did me a lot of good. It was about £15 for 15 minutes but well worth it.

Andy
  • Options
    I was offered a free massage after last year's FLM as part of the charity's post-race bash, and I refused. Told them they weren't touching me, I was quite sore enough, thank you, just keep the coffee and bananas coming.
  • Options
    Taking Friday off depends upon how strenuous your job is, and how much travelling you have to do. I have worked a night shift on Friday before, finishing 8am on the Saturday, yet still run around my target time.

Definitely take a couple of days off afterward, especially if you have to tackle any stairs! Tip - go down stairs backwards!!!
  • Options
    Taking the Friday off so my osteopath can do some preventative maintenance before I run.

Have already explained to my boss that I won't be attending his management meeting on Monday afternoon (shock, horror!).

I wonder if it's worth getting osteo to do a massage on the Monday (can I stand the pain???)
  • Options
    Being an FLM regular, here's my routine -

I keep off my feet on Friday and Saturday in marathon build-up week. I never take Friday off as mine is a desk-job.

Only in my first FLM in 1996 did I book Monday & Tuesday off but I was so much on cloud nine that I forgot and went to work anyway - I wanted to share my memories of the fantastic day that staying away from work was NOT an option.

Being a London runner I visit the expo on Wed or Thurs when it's less busy.

I tend to keep off my feet on Friday and Saturday with an easy 5-miler on the Thursday being my final training session.

Get a good night's sleep on the FRIDAY night - Saturday you'll maybe find it hard to sleep but the night before is the important one to get right.

I have had post-race masages before but only do pre-race massages if you have had these before in your warm-up to London - there are different types of masages and you need to be sure what effect it will have on your body.

Finally, pack all you need for the race/pre race bag the night before, including pinning your number to your vest and attaching the chip !

Good luck one and all.

• Options
    Agree with you on that one Johnny - I'm usually on the Easter break and nearly went mental the few days beforehand! I couldn't run (or no more than a mile or two) and couldn't go to the gym, so drove myself spare just pacing around! Any distraction is good!
  • Options
    That's why I've put myself down for the Saturday shift. The year before last I took the Saturday off and spent the day a total stress-head. Whereas last year I worked the Saturday and felt a lot more relaxed as a result.
    I guess it's whatever works for you.

Marcel, that's good advice about getting a good nites sleep on the Friday, as that's the nite that counts. Also about not getting a massage in the 48 hours before unless you're used toit.
  • Options
    Save your holidays for the Mon afterwards instead. Don't do what I did after Stockholm marathon: Sat evening - still wretching in the medical tent, Sun am early flight back, Mon am meeting at 9 o clock 2 hrs down the motorway, with very empty stomach...:)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips, I guess thats going to work on the friday, maybe leaving early, no pre-race massage and trying to remember not to go to work on the monday!
    73 days to go!!!
  • Options
    hi all,
    as someone who's just qualified as a massage therapist,it really is a personal thing.pre race massages should be to get the muscles ready 4 activity but where the marathon is concerned,u r going to be on your feet 4 an awfully long time and u will gradually warm up anyway.post race massages are great as long as u have someone who knows what they are doing.last year after the race my charity had a few therapists giving the usual free massages but a some of them hadn't qualified yet and hadn't a clue.the one i had tried to stretch me and i was in agony.i had 2 inform them that it wasn't a good idea to stretch to much after as your muscles have torn slightly,she didn't know!!!!be warned,the right therapist will just give you a gentle rub down.it's all u need,not a sports massage!!
    as regards the monday.you won't feel too bad if u ice the legs or the cold bath for at least 10 mins(uncomfortable but it works)it's a better idea to keep moving,the stiffness soon goes.