Options

RW 'get you round'

Help. I am following the RW Get you Round ' schedule and although I managed the recommended 75 mins yesterday I am worried that I am not covering enough miles as my pace is really slow. It doesn't give miles but any one know how far the get you round expects you to be doing in the schedule. My 75 mins only came to 6 miles.

Comments

• Options
    As someone who followed the same routine last year:- DON'T WORRY!!.

The idea is to get you to build up the TIME you spend out there. You will be all right, follow the training pattern and the resting days. Join the pace group on the day and ABOVE ALL ENJOY THE DAY!!

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I've said it before, but I think the RW get-you-round schedule isn't really adequate. Also, I don't think that minutes-run is a good idea, even though several well known training programmes use it. The marathon is 26 miles, not x minutes.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about your pace, SG. That's about what I was running last year when training for the FLM. I followed the hal higdon novice programme (www.halhigdon.com). This is a schedule for new runners and first-time marathoners, and this weekend the long run was 12 miles, if that illustrates the difference with your own.

Having said that, the get-you-round schedule is just that, I suppose. It aims only to get you round the course, and I suppose all it's trying to do is raise your fitness level enough to make sure you can keep walking for the full distance once, or if, your running legs are finished.

Andy
  • Options
    I am a bit sceptical on the get you round run walk speed (although I do use it to push myself into longer runs hoping to avoid risking injury).

You have to do the run bits quite quickly to make up for the sections walked. I went around the GNR near the Get you round group and my steady trot was as fast as thier run walk and my legs don't cope well with the stopping. I was supprised how fast they actually run (and I heard a few people moaning about it too).

Basically you need to work out how long it will take you to run it at your running speed then add the time that you will be walking.

But then again, you're still doing much better than the people who don't even try so just try to enjoy it and don't worry about you're speed too much.
  • Options
    The Get You Round running pace is roughly around 12-mins per mile, is that's any help! Speedy G, son't worry too much about how far you're going at the moment, there is stil plenty of time until the big day. at the moment just concentrate on geeting used to spending the 'time on your feet'.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds mad to have asked this question when I have run the marathon several times before but I was fit then and much slimmer. I have never trained for it from being unfit and having to walk and therefore never followed a training plan. Doing it this year with 3 stone extra on and having been quite ill with a DVT last November so training is much much different and I am unsure if the get you round schedule would do. At the moment it looks like I am doing about 13 mins per mile so you all think I might manage it then if I keep going.
    Thanks everyone
  • Options
    if youve done it once, all you need to do is believe you can again
    and do as much long training as posible
  • Options
    "Spedding" He's the man. It is all about time on your feet. The Get you Round group spend over twice as long on their feet as Paula or Kannouchi , you've got to get used to it.

Besides one thing you won't know until the day is the effect the atmosphere of the day and the help that spectators will give you.

Keep going but above all enjoy it!!
  • Options
    It's true that the slower you are the longer you'll spend on your feet, which is why it doesn't make much sense to me to have running schedules based on time rather than miles, as it goves a false picture to us slower runners. If the schedule says "Run for 60 minutes today", that could mean 4 or5 mile miles for some new runners, and 8 or 9 for others if they're younger and fitter. I think you have to run a particular distance, regardless of how long it takes.

Better surely, to say "Run for 10 miles today". The faster, fitter ones will take 1 hr 20 say, and the slower people will take 2 hours, which will take care of the need to train to stay longer on your feet.

If everyone runs for an hour, this is much more beneficial for the faster runner. The marathon is a set distance of 26.2 miles, not a set time. If the challenge was to see how far we could run in 2 hours, say, then the time-based schedule would make perfect sense.

Andy
  • Options
    Andy you ran it last year and so did I. I think the 'Get you Round' schedule for this year is easier than last years. So we differ on our opinions of what's best.

NOW you first timers out there!! Don't get worried by our difference of opinion. If you are reading this forum you CARE about getting the neccessary training in. Provided you get the training in AND take the rest days you'll make it!
  • Options
    I agree with RunningCommentary. I am not sure that following the get you round will get me round. I do think that it should say do '10 miles' because it is the distance you need. My 10 miles would take me 2hrs 10 mins at the rate i run at the moment. Mr SG has just come into the room and he agress with you. If by mid March I am say only running 10 to 15 miles and it is taking me say 3 hrs or more then surely this would give me a better idea if I can finish or not and hw much work needs done. If it tells me to run for say 2.1/2 hours then I may bee only running 10/12 miles.
    So on this idea can someone give me a training schedule that gives me miles not mins. I am averaging about 13 min miles at the moment on the roads but can do 3 miles on the treadmill in 33 mins.
    All help welcomed.
  • Options
    SG, there are quite a few running schedules for new runners out there. The one I used, and that a lot of people use, is the Hal Higdon novice schedule. www.halhigdon.com.

The problem is that it's an 18 week programme, so you'd be joining it late. If you decide to do it you'd have to decide on a sensible way of trying to get up to speed,as it were, without taking too much time over it. It wouldn't be a good idea to just jump into the schedule where it is at this moment (6 weeks in) as the long run is 12 or 13 miles this weekend, which would be too much of a jump up from where you are. You would risk getting injured.

I hope I wasn't discouraging. Didn't mean to be, but I just worry a little that the Get You Round seems a little too easy - and I say that as someone who did the HH novice programme and still took not much less than 6 hours to get round. It may be that if you've done it before you'll pick up some of your old fitness with a few more weeks training. At least you have the psychological benefit of having done it before.

Knackeredknees is right to be positive - I'm sure you'll get round on the day whichever schedule you go for.

Have a read of the HH guidance for runners following the novice schedule and it might help you to plan what to do.

Very best of luck. It will be an amazing day whatever happens.

Andy
  • Options
    i will post on this when my brain has woken up
    I can tell you what NOT to do!!!!!!
    But you WILL finish, if you want to
  • Options
    Look out for the Runners World runners who will be carrying markers with the anticipated time. Particularly worth noting is the Penguin (around 5 hours) they have a great time and if you get the chance to hear him talk make it a must he is brilliant and had the audiance in hysterics when I saw him last year.

Good luck

Oh. check out my web site from last year it will give you some ideas of how I did it in 4.26 and also warn you of the dangers of overtraining.

www.smithfamily.me.uk
  • Options
    Ashley's right. John Bingham is good fun, although I don't know if he is running this year. I ran with him from the very start at Greenwich until I met up with somebody I had met at the Sutton Park Training run near Cutty Sark and we drifted ahead of the Get you Round group. However we were only about 15mins in front of them at the end.
    If any of you get the chance DO try one the training runs organised by R/W. Personally I was really lifted by this during my training.
  • Options
    hi speedyG and all.
    You sound about the same sort of tempo as me, about 3 miles in 33 mins, 11 minute miles ish.
    I am going for the sub 5 schedule, that started in RW mag this month.. I thought the get you round wasn't enough for the level I was already at, (not fast, but covering more miles at that point in time, and running most of the way too).

Had a bit of bother with the knees, but physio has helped no end. Got some fantastic insoles that give great arch support and stop me over-pronating. Been a great help! (check out sport shoe shops, only about £10)

Anyway, just pushing the miles up a bit, following plan ok. I really need a day to recover mind you! Is it normal to feel a bit wiped out for a few hours after a mid-distance run? Will I ever feel confident that I will get to the end?

I guess these are worries we all have. Any advice/support would be great - although in my heart I know I will get to the end, and I suspect all of you lovely folks will too.

Good luck with training..

• Options
    I'm a sort of "get you rounder" too and I'm following the sub five hour schedule. I tend to run at least the distances detailed in the RW schedule and more often than not, more time (except on early morning runs). I have been wondering whether time or distance should take precendence, cos this morning I was supposed to do 6m in 66 mins, whereas I did 6 miles in 60 mins. I do try and increase the time on my feet bit on my longer runs at the weekends, but the consensus here seems to be do the distance and don't worry about the time?
  • Options
    Yes I think I am going to go for the distance and forget the time. As long as I finish in under 6 hours!! I will be happ. There is no way i can match my PB. The schedule for mins I think would put me way behind. I am trying some speed work on the treadmill so that might help a bit.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm new to this thread. Speedy G, you sound about where I am. I'm a bit too slow for the sub 5-hour group but I am following that. My problem is, I can't cope with stopping running for the walking breaks! What I mean is, I can't get my breathing into sync. and I'm constantly looking at my watch to see if its time to walk. Good luck on the day everyone.
  • Options
    Hi Munchkin.
    If you can afford it get yourself a watch with countdown timers, (it needs to be able to do at least two different time periods). Set one for the walk time and the other period for the run time at the end of each timed period the watch bleeps at you. It certainly makes life alot easier when outt (especially when you need glasses to read the time!!) Timex amongst others do suitable watches. I use my Timex all the time when run walking even on last years FLM.
  • Options
    I've never followed the 'get you round schedule' but just had a thought on the thing of time on feet verses distance...

Mr Running Muppet and I do about the same amount of 'time on feet' training but differ hugely in total miles. Last week his weekly mileage was 70 miles and mine was 40. His 2 hour run covers 20 miles and mine covers more like 14 miles. That's a big difference - certainly as much as the 6 miles verses 10 miles for the long run last Sunday.

Both our training plans are fine for our individual abilities and aims - he will finish significantly faster than me but we will both finish. Surely this principle is exactly the same at the slower end of the spectrum.

• Options
    Thanks, RM, that's reassuring. I'm doing a sub-5 schedule that's also time-based for the long runs. Which is fine, but I ain't a sub-5, I'm more like a sub-6-er, so I was getting worried about the longest of the long runs being sufficient (3hrs) given that I'll clearly not be covering the 15miles minimum I need to clear to do the marathon. But there is surely an issue for us slowest types about risking over-knackering ourselves in order to do the minimum distance as opposed to a time. Is it really a) wise or b) feasible to get myself up to four hours long run if that's what it's going to take to do my 16mile run (yes, I'm a four mph girl) before I do the marathon? Apart from the fact that there aren't enough weeks in my schedule to build up slowly to this, I can't help thinking that even if there were several weeks of 3+hr runs when you're a beginner can't be sensible in terms of risking exhaustion before one even attempts FLM. And yet by Running Commentary's logic not doing this would make me unable to do the marathon, which I am going to do, no matter how long it takes me...
    MB
  • Options
    MB, I'm sure you will be fine and will finish in great shape. For my first FLM, I did 5 hours and a quarter. My longest run before this was a 3 hour one (covering aprox 15 miles) and I still completed the distance in reasonable shape. For my second FLM, I finished in 4 hours and my longest run was again 3 hours (covering 20 miles). They both seemed to do the job of building up enough stamina to last the course just in different times. I don't know how or why it works but it seems to.

A friend of mine is a 6 hour plus marathoner and finds that doing a 3 and a half hour walk/run going dead slow seems to really help in building her stamina up. She also does one other 3 hour walk/run and all the other long runs are shorter than this.
    RM
  • Options
    Hi
    Just reading all your replies and as this year will be my 1st FLM it's really helpful to hear your comments.

Last week I did my first 12 mile run in just under 2 hours and felt fine at the end of it. I'm pretty confident that I'll get round okay (heavily relying on the crowds & atmosphere to help just as much as my own abilities) BUT I'm finding after a few good sessions each week I'm getting either shin splints or my hamstrings are giving me gip so I have to rest for more days than I would normally.

As a result I'm finding it hard to stick to a training programme so I'm having to play it by ear each week as to what running I do. Has anyone else had a similar problem and still managed to finish the marathon okay? I'm not aiming for any particular time for the marathon I just want to make sure my legs will be up for the whole 26.2 miles.
  • Options
    Stinker you are doing fine. 12 miles under 2 hours and 10 weeks to go. You will be OK.
    Don't skip your rest days, they will be just as important as your training days.

Good Luck