Options

Contry bumpkin comes The Big Smoke

I'm having a major panic! I need to fly out of Heathrow back to Edinburgh after the race, but never having been in London, let alone done the Marathon how easy is it for me to get to a station to take me to Heathrow, is it close to the finish etc.. I'm sort of thinking of leaving as soon as I finish, as after the only other two marathons I have done I suffered what can only be described as 'post marathon depression' - even when I did fab times - so I think I'll just want to go home asap.

Can anyone give me some tips - I need to book my flight?

Comments

• Options
    Charing Cross station is a 5 minute walk (15 minute post 26.2 run crawl away and puts you onto the underground . From memory Id allow at least an hour to Heathrow hope this helps
  • Options
    Erni - nooooooo ! Don't leave us ! You'll be treated as a hero! As I wound my way back to the Hotel after (v slowly) I had one genuine Cockney street urchin (I kid you not) coming up to congratulate me, a motor biker stopped as well, and a very posh old couple did too.

Come for drinks with the Forumites. You know it makes sense. Plus it's mad to come all that way and not take in at least a bit of the scenery.

Oh, and the only plane for Edinburgh doesn't leave until Monday. Bummer eh ? ;-)

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The Heathrow Express leaves from Paddington station every 15 minutes and takes either 15 or 20 minutes to get to the airport, depending on which terminal you are flying from. Alternatively you can get the tube (Picadilly line) but that takes about an hour.

The last flight to Embra leaves at 8:45, so you have time for a small sherry with the forumites before you head for home (unless you run as slowly as I do, in which case book the Monday flight as cougie says.

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/heathrow/

for more info.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hello Erni,

Please stay for drinks :)

After the drinkies, though, the Heathrow Express from Paddington is the way to go. I do it semi-regularly and have never (cross trotters) had to wait longer than 10 minutes at either end. Most impressive.

Hope to see you at drinky poos :-)
  • Options
    Are you mad? Wot no drinky pooh's after! Wuss!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Oh and getting to Paddington - take the Circle line from Charing Cross (yellow on the tube map) - in the "East" direction.