Options

Horndon Feast & Fayre 10K

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jack

I'm a Rayleigh man too. Do you belong to a club yet, or are you still doing your own thing when it comes to training.

I hope to be on the start line come 11 a.m., although having been off serious running for 4 months due to an achilles injury I'm not looking forward to the hills or the distance. Still, a great way to get back in shape!

Good luck to all who run this race - remember if it's warm to keep hydrated!

Steve
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Sunday's race. I have been on holiday, but did some hill training, well 3.4 miles up and down a valley.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

Paul N - Hoping to do this one seconds under 60mins.

Good luck everyone for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    The results are on the website. My time 61:46, lost time on that footpath.
  • Options
    tracey g. considering you having been on holiday,are you happy with your time?
    it is a challenging course,everyone thinks of the big uphill,but i think the long incline round the back of the course is the hardest.
    i was pleased with my time of 46;30.
    how did you others do?
  • Options

A few minutes slower than last year but it felt rather humid so I am pleased as I had a terrible run at the Southend Half.

I really enjoy the atmosphere at this race and look forward to next week's High Ongar 10k.

Well done everyone.

HT
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Paul - I am happy with my time, is was 40 seconds outside my pb at Marwell Zoo 10k. I needed to run faster on the footpath, but was worried about falling over.

Next race Serpentine 5k on Friday. Have to beat my time of 28:32.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Paul, I did not come in last out of my running club.
  • Options
    Well that wasn't as bad as I had anticipated! I was impressed by the villages support round the course. Though I may have noticed it more as I was running along with a local 'Horndon Belle' (thanks for putting up with my inane chatter Claire).

As stated I was taking it easy (as races go) - next year (with more training under my belt) it'll be more of 'race' for me. I came in at 53:27 (this is a PB due to my not counting races more than 17 years ago)!

Steve: Don't belong to a club yet, I've only just started running again after quite a few years off - though I am considering trying Benfleet Running Club. Anyone here a member of that group?

It's good to be running again :-)
  • Options
    Sounds like I missed a good run. Almost wish I'd done it but having got a pb in a 5k on Wednesday evening not sure I'd have had it in my poor old legs to race 10k.

Well done to all.

Anyone doing the TCC5k?
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Will be back next year if hubby is not working. Have to beat my time of course.
  • Options
    Jack

I'm a member of Benfleet RC. Probably the best club in our area, loads of members, coaches and training nights if you can get home early enough [sigh]. They have a good turn out, and it's suprising how much of lift a 'come on Benfleet!' shouted from the crowd gives you.

Have a look at the website, its just been revamped and is pretty informative regarding members and upcoming races etc.

I quite enjoyed the Horndon. First 10k race this year, which I took fairly easy in the beginning as I'm coming back from an achilles injury. Made it round in 44.43, which'll do for now.

Kazzah16 - I should be at the TCC, although I'll be running the 10k. If I remember correctly, it's a fairly fast course - although I remember water stations being non existent. Hopefully the new organisers will have considered this?

See you at the TCC - anyone doing the London 10k this Sunday?

• Options
    Steve, I think I saw water stations marked on the map but it wouldn't be the first time that water was a scarce commodity in a race! Fortunately as I'm concentrating on 5ks at the mo I won't have to worry too much. Hoping for a fast course as I want to beat my new pb of 23.16. If I'd run a more sensible race on Wednesday I could certainly have been faster. Totally panicked when I went through first k in 4.11 - knew I was in a fast race but I was aiming for 4.30 k's!!

See you there!
  • Options
    Kazzah

You're obviously privvy to information that I don't have access to. Where did you find the map, as I'd be quite interested to have a quick practice before the event?

I'm sure the route takes in Kenneth Road and Rayleigh road, which used to be part of my marathon training route - a trip down memory lane for me, as I've run it dozens of times.

See you there - are you in club colours or anything distinctive so that I can cheer you in - hopefully in a time under 23 minutes!
  • Options
    It was with my race number. It's all at home so can't tell you what the route was. Can let you know later. Don't really know it round there so it's all pretty much new territory for me. Have to congratulate them on their speedy turn round. Entry stuff arrived day after I'd entered on line!

All I can be sure of is that I'll be wearing a white cap and I'll be somewhat crimson of face (sadly I have a tendency to go beetroot as soon as I start doing any cardio work). Not exactly a great look!!!
  • Options
    Steve
    Thanks for the info - though it might have been useful if you'd put the Benfleet RC's website address in the message ;-)

I'll very likely give Benfleet RC a go but maybe not just yet as I don't want to get too 'serious' too quickly.

Once I've hit four outings a week (likely to be in early September) I'll come calling.

May your second wind come quickly in the TCC (you too Kazzah).
  • Options
    Jack

You're right - how remiss.

The address is www.benfleetrunningclub.com.

I wouldn't worry about getting serious, it's just about being with like minded people, and finding a training partner of similar ability. Something that I've struggled to do.

If nothing else, joining the club now will get you discounted entry in to these local races, which is another good reason to belong to an affiliated club. Races are a good opportunity to push yourself, knowing that you're running a measured course, with support and back-up in case something goes wrong. They're a valuable training resourse.