Hello forumties,
When is the best time to do speed work?I keep meaning to fit this in,but never
get around to it.Mind you apart from a tuesday evening,when we do our
track work! We normally do either 400/800 reps.We start by doing maybe a
100 then 200 and so on.
Just at the moment I am doing 10 min miles:Which is pretty slow?I would
like to get down to either eight/nine min miles?I have only been running for
nine mths now.
Any advice out their would be greatly appreciated.

Daisybop.

Comments

• Options
    Daisybop

I tend to do most of my running at lunchtime but do the speed sessions after work on the treadmill. For the past few weeks I've been following the 1/2 marathon training schedule RW published last year and my speed has really picked up. Maybe you need to do a variety of speed sessions rather than sticking to the 400/800 reps.

• Options
    Hello trish M:

Thanks for the advice.Shall maybe look back in the issues of RW magazines and try and
    follow one.Thanks again.
  • Options
    The best time to do speed work is when you most feel like doing it but preferably with some company of roughly the same standard (or slightly better) than you. As for the type of speedwork, depends what your goals are - 100m, 5k, 10k, marathon? The longer the race, the longer the intervals.
  • Options
    Hello JJ & Ginger Tom,

Thanks for the advice.JJ the track work I do on a tuesday night is speedwork.I just feel:That
    my friends zoom off and I am always left to do catch up.Maybe I am being to impatient with
    myself!
    I have also started training for my first marathon which is edinburgh.So maybe next time I am
    out doing one of my runs I shall start doing fast bits.
    Anyway thanks again everyone for the advice.

Daisybop.