Options

Friday session 7 Feb 2002

........and don't forget those race time predictions you weekend racers!

Went for a slightly painful run last night (knee hurting again) plus is was extremely hazardous underfoot from snow the last two days. Unfortnately our heating at home broke down yesterday so I was glad to go for a run (it was -2 outside) to get warm!

Today: Probably rest - maybe some rowing cross training.
Why: First rest day since return from holiday
Last hard day: N/A
Last rest: Today.

Comments

• Options
    Been snowing on and off here too, also -1 outside this morning.
    What: hill repeats, 12 x 30 seconds. Oooow.
    Last hard: today!
    Last rest: yesterday.
  • Options
    Morning

Last nights predicted speed session was changed to doing reps on a very steep hill

Today: Rest
    Why:See above
    Last Hard: Thurs
    Last Rest: Sat

No racing for me until NW 1/2 in 2 weeks but good luck to those who are
  • Options
    What: a guilt-ridden hill run once I've dropped my son to school. Was meant to go at 7am
    Why: only run twice this week; schedule
    Last hard: Weds speed session
    Last easy: yesterday body balance active rest
    Guilt-ridden because I'm not spending between 9am and 10am with my two year old daughter! But will take her swimming straight after and will be good mother all day!
  • Options
    morning- no racing here either!
    what- cross train? spinning&weights
    why-because i'm weeeeeeeak
    last hard-club race last night
    last rest-last friday

have a nice day y'all
  • Options
    Morning all.

What: Rest. Had a blissful lie-in.
    Why: Scheduled.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning -
    What : probably 3-4 mile recovery run if I get time
    Why : Long run yesterday

PB - My circuit yesterday wasn't the same loop from home repeated it was an 8 mile loop and a couple of different 5 mile loops which all join up around my village (if that makes sense). So I don't actually pass the front door at all. Have got a couple of long 15mile + circuits but I find breaking the long run up into smaller chunks makes it less daunting esp. when you run on your own. There is also the fallback of chopping of a section if you're feeling shagged out , believe me I nearly succumbed yesterday....

Laura - Still unfortunately out of work (Banker in the city - no not one of those highly paid ones either .....).
    Have been made redundant twice in the past 15mths and have applied for around 100 jobs both city based,abroad and locally but the sad truth is that employers can afford to be fussy.
    Local firms after admin/finance people think i'm too highly qualified,city firms want maths grads only now.(Although I do have a 'meeting' in London today - not what you know its who you know...!)

Still started my OU course in social sciences so 6 years from now I'll be a primary school teacher......

and I get to see my kids growing up..

and the house is decorated throughout..

and my running is getting better..

Have a good weekend everyone
  • Options
    Sounds blissful, Dustin - life AND run.

What: Early morning 5K-ish run.
    Why: Only chance before regretfully allowing Hippo to go home. Don't believe all that stiff about being slow. She can fairly shift up those hills.
    Last hard day: Wednesday. Yesterday was mentally a bit hard because I did 6 miles on the treadmill, but not physically tiring.
    Last rest day: Today :-D
  • Options
    Morning all,

Good luck with the job hunting Dustin, glad to see your quality of life is sky high in the meantime. About that decorating...

Another forum meet at Vrap's, why didn't you post on Events, 'Surgery Session' or some such?

Anyone racing this weekend? Good luck if you are.

What: attempt the dreaded 2.5k intervals.
    Why: see if I'm back on form.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: yesterday.
  • Options
    Good Morning folks!

Feeling fairly tired from club night last night. Have a day of rest tomorrow and then its the last cross country race of the season. I suppose I'll have to really start marathon training then!

What : longish slow (for those London forumites) thats Southwark bridge to Tower Bridge, round St. Katherine Dock, upto Westminster Bridge and back to Southwark)
    Why : Bit pooped but it'd be nice to have a bit longer run

Last Hard : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Sunday

Good look racing everyone

• Options
    Achilles,
    abandoning Horwill??!?!?! Surely you jest? Frank will be at your door 6AM Sunday morning demanding answers, be prepared! Seriously though, I'm amazed you stuck with the program as long as you did, I just pick and choose from the FK workouts and sometimes that even seems like too much. Looking forward to your race report, I guess that will be an acid test for what the FK regime has done for your fitness, best of luck.

What: nowt
    Why: Friday = rest day
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Today

Good luck all weekend racers

• Options
    halloo peeps

what: prob the rest I should have taken yesterday. tried new shoes out on dredtred last night, sock problem causing numb foot at 4k and couldn't restart so I packed in

why: feel under weather and few niggles, think knee basically on track to recovery
    last hard day Jan 26
    last rest day Mon

Why oh why don't I listen to all that good advice about increasing milage gradually: Lesson if you are injured and X-train you CV system stays way ahead of your running muscles/joints - you still need to rebuild milage gradually

seem to be few racers out this w/e, so enjoy the LSD sessions ;-)
  • Options
    Morning, people.

What: Rest! Followed by more rest.
    Why: 13 (point two) miles last night - plan was to bring my long run forward to allow more recovery before my 20K on Sunday week. I hurt!
    Hard: Let me think....
    Rest: Wednesday.

Need coffee but not sure I can stand up. Oh, the dilemma!

Have fun today, all.
  • Options
    afternoon, gentlefolk -

Dustin - best of luck with the job hunt.

MM - as you've been saying wisely for ages, you have to work out what's right for you and I've had to admit finally that too many killer Horwill workouts in a week were just breaking me down and making me slower - which wasn't really the idea! so I'm going back to the RW basic plan of: intervals Tues, medium long run Weds, tempo run Thurs, fartlek or short hills Sat, long run Sunday, and recovery Mon and Fri. which actually means you average more quality sessions per week than on the Horwill method, and you can run more weekly mileage and you don't kill yourself in the process. having said that,I've just got hold of a copy of Michael Sandrock's "Running Tough" which lists more "workouts from hell" than you can shake a stick at - so doubtless next week I'll have adopted some other mad plan. ;-)

what: 6 miles recovery run with a few 200m strides to get the legs moving a bit
    why: Wokingham 1/2M Sunday
    last rest: Monday
    last hard day: yesterday

race predicition, er ...

dream time: forget it :-(
    goal time: anything under 80 mins.
    OK time: under 82 mins.
    disaster time: don't want to think about it.

why do I get the feeling I'm not going into this with a positive frame of mind?

good luck anyone else racing this weekend, and to everyone else, enjoy those long runs!

• Options
    I'll follow on from Achilles as we're doing the same race on Sunday (but at opposite ends of the spectrum). Been a bit lax on the training thread - too busy organising the troops on the Wokingham race thread.

Today:
    what: rest
    why: Friday's my rest day
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Last hard: Tuesday club run

race prediction:

dream time: sub 1hr 50
    goal time: 1 hr 53
    OK time: 1 hr 55
    disaster time: over 2 hours

Looking forward to Sunday. Hope to see you there Achilles.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Feeling REALLY lazy now!

What: Nothing - another rest day!
    Why: I'm out tonight and will have to move today's session to tomorrow (decided to try 1K intervals).
    Last hard: Wednesday's tempo run.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Obviously whether I do today's session tomorrow will depend on the intensity of my hangover!
  • Options
    afternoon all
    mild here at last

what: undecided - want to do something brisk
    why: feeling (relatively) fresh

last hard day: 19 days ago
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

Good luck Dustin. May be joining you if they don't get enough VRs out of my group here.
  • Options
    afternoon
    i lied earlier!!
    what -steady 35mins
    why-didnt want to go to gym
    last hard-club 3.5mile race last night(2nd in19.49!)
    last rest- last friday
    ENJOY!!
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone

What: 5mi easy
    Why: should have been 8mi@marathon pace but really didn't think I would be able to that plus long run tomorrow (18mi). May do the remaining 3mi as a recovery jog/walk on Sun
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    Quick update due to meeting I've been forced to put off my run for today and go and run tomorrow instead. So a nice unexpected rest day!
  • Options
    5k trying to keep up with vrap
  • Options
    Really rest day.

Well, ok, pool exercises, and pilates classs, which tests my muscles to the limits within minutes, and I end up doing a Modified Routine for the Particularly Feeble (and yes, this is a beginners class I am enrolled in).

Still, I logged four hours asleep middday, I am walking ok again, I am not back on chemicals, and I shall try a run tomorrow, before giving up and returning to the pharmacological solution.
  • Options
    Evening all

What: Rest day

Why: Last rest was a week last Monday and body sending signals that a day off is due and had to trek out to pick parents up from airport

Good luck to all racing this weekend. We are on first trip with the new born to south of Turkey for the next week when hopefully Mary will get back to some very gentle running week so unless I find internet cafe will be signing off for a week.

Simon
  • Options
    Have a good break Simon.

Rubbish day, finished piece of work I've bee glued to the screen working on since Monday, sent off at 16.59.59...Still not feeling brill but so antsy and irritated I did a quick half hour around the block anyway. When I came back my 8yr old says, 'It's really weird Mum, before you went out you were, like, really stressed and now you're like a different person.' Ho hum, better than valium and half a bottle of sherry I guess.
    Total miles so far this week: 14, better have a decent weekend.

Good luck Achilles and others racing, I hear Frank is gutted and thinking of abducting you, blindfolding you and taking you down the track for a double Vomiter session.
  • Options
    Eventually decided on another 9.3K outing. Might have started off a shade too fast. Lots of irritating obstacles in the twilight - pavement seemed to be up over several parts of the course. Anyway, got round in 37:16 - not brilliant, but better than what I'd normally be doing at this time of year.
    Well done Laura - I know the feeling.
  • Options
    Not racing this weekend, just a 14 mile run on Sunday. As for today:

what: 6 mile in 61mins on undulating route.
    why: just because
    last hard: Last Sunday
    last easy: yesterday

Good luck to all racers and LSD'ers