Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I got up at 4.30 to watch it too. Awesome run from Mo. I might try the Parkrun this morning although on 4 hours sleep it could be a slow one.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Sensational from Mo

Didn't even get a mention on laughable BBC breakfast news - and they'll be nauseatingly OTT during the Olympics.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    also from the same event.....

"Moses Mosop Sets 2 WR's In The 25k & 30k He ran 25K in 1:12:25.4, breaking the 30 year-old WR by 90 seconds and then kept going and ran 30k in 1:26:47 (4:39 m/m pace)"

Geb's 2:03:59 is 4:44 m/m pace so this was quick!
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

awesome stuff from Mo.

it's a pity they don't have a track 1/2 marathon or something like that in the olympics.  i mean it only takes these fast blokes <60 minutes!  would give the endurance athletes the chance to go for 2 golds like the sprinters, u could have folks going for the 10,000 and 1/2 marathon double (or even 5,000/10,000/and half) and others going for the 1/2 marathon and marathon double maybe (unlikely - but fun to see some try!)

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Unbelievable run by Mo, thanks for posting the YouTube link Coro.

Just back from cycling to the lake, swimming and cycling back. So 45M cycling and 1.5M swimming done by 9:30am. Relaxing for the rest of the day before a long ride tomorrow. Nearly there!

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Went to the nearest lake for an OW swim session only to find it cancelled due to blue algae. So went to the lido to try out the wetsuit. Why did nobody tell me how great they are? I was 15 secs per 100m faster. Awesome!
  • Options
    MtR - were they selling tickets for a HIGHER price than your preferred price? I would be surprised if that was allowed!...so long since I applied now, but thought it was just lower price?

I'm also sceptical about 250,000 figure - however, if athletics and cycling are in the highest demand, and we are all runners (and latter day gay cyclists!) then maybe we've fared worse?

I'm also very very suspicious that they had decided how many tickets of each price band there were prior to the ballet. A more cunning plan would be to see what the number of applications were for each price category, and then designate the price of seats as high as possible.

So, for the 100m final, make nearly all seats £750, cos they have lots of £750 bids!!

Shit - I've just become a conspiracy theorist!
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    As I recall, you were able to set a preferred price and an upper and lower price.

And I suspect you're right on the allocation of seats to price bands. This is potentially the hidden scandal.

Swimming session was very strange. Got in the pool in the medium lane as usual, only to find that I was too fast for that lane. Surpised to see first 200m as 3:59 because I normally never get under 2 mins for 100. Then did 10x100m in 1:50 average (1:42 - 1:54). Then did another 1000 at under 2 mins per 100.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Nice swimming breakthrough MtR -- were you wearing flippers? ;- )

Some notable long running by Padams and rather sharply paced reps by Gobi (again).

Not much to report here -- 6M or so earlier with a few hills and then a slightly unplanned shopping expedition... will do some kind of decent run tomorrow morning though hopefully.

• Options

Parkrun dilemma for me this morning, whether to do Wanstead Flats and try for the win or Hackney Marshes and try for sub 17? Ended up winning Hackney Marshes in 16.51 so doubly happy. Yay!

Another superb run from Mo Farah. Thanks for the links, guys. And I ran in the same race as him less than a week ago. Yay!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Cardiff parkrun this morning for me. Legs a bit heavy and didn't enjoy the heat and humidity so a ploddy 20.06 for me.

Brilliant news about Mo. Meet is supposed to be on the red button tonight at 6pm. Certainly explains why he did 'just enough' on Monday. The guy is pure class!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MtR - nice one, maybe I should try and sneak my wettie into my local pool. I've given up a bit on OW swimming now, I'll do a few sea swims when the sea is calm but I spent too much time trying not to get beached last yr and it had nothing to do with practicing technique. Wearing the wettie in the lido enables you to do a quantifiable swim though.

Padams - nearly there indeed, well done.

A pretty lumpy and windy 51M on the bike bagged earlier.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Some interesting thoughts on the maths of ticket allocation. Of course the whole process is shrouded in mystery, and it seems that LOGOC want to keep it that way. Had they published the details of how the ballot worked then the Games Theorists would have been able to develop optimum ticket application strategies thus giving them an advantage over those people who have lots of money, but little mathematical bent.......

For the above rather tongue in cheek reason it is reasonable for them not to advise too much detail about the mechanics of the ballot, providing that the allocation of tickets is fair. This of course presents a paradox as the only way we can be assured that the process is fair is to know how it works! Just because some former world record holding ex Tory MP assures me thas it is doesn't mean that it is so, and calling it a ballot doesn't mean it is random. Perhaps a less disingenuous description should be "allocation process"

I suspect that the numbers of applications received may have caused problems, though if the ballot was constructed using genuinely randomising techniques (probability theory anyone), then the annoyance of people is based on the low probability of success.

Returning to the mechanics of the ballot it is however reasonable to have knowledge of how many seats in each price range in each venue were available even if we couldn't know what the demand for them would be. I only applied for the cheapest seats, but if I knew that they represented say only 5% of total capacity, whereas the next price band represented say 15% of total capacity, then my application may have been different.

Also relating to this point is the comment by many that virtually no concessionary applications seem to have been awarded. The concessions only applied to the cheapest seats and if the applications for these are themselves a small proportion of what is already a small proportion of total seating you can almost believe that an 8 year old grandson has as much change of getting a ticket for a morning athletics session as an insolvency practitioner has for the mens 100m final!

As I understand it, if you applied for multiple tickets for one session, you either get all or non. This means that the probability of getting those isn't determined by coro's mathss, as these are not independant events. However what we don't know is whether the probabiltiy of getting a certain number of seats is determined by the size of that particular application. Intuitively I would expect to have more chance of getting two seats for a session than getting say six, but there's no way do we know how the ballot deals with that.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    If it really is a random process based on probability, then the more tickets one applies for, then the more one would expect to get (that's in terms of numbers, not probability) and the randomness (what ever the probability distribution of the outcome) of the process permits a probability, albeit small of someone getting everything they applied and someone getting nothing. Imagine a randoml sample of 1000 10k runners with an average pb of 36:44 (good time huh!), then in that mini population you're likely to get someone running 29:00 and someone running 55:00. (This is a pretty skewed distribution)

The previous paragraph suggests that randomness dictates the more tickets you apply for, then the more you would expect to get. But is that fair? I don't think so, but we've again not been given any indication as to how the "allocation process" deals with this.

As I've said in a previous post, because of the huge numbers of people apparently wanting the attend the games, I've personally gone from an expectation of an athletic fest to just being happy to get to spectate some part of the "greatest sporting show on earth" when it was in my own country.

Despite the criticism of the ballot, the measure of how effective the whole process is has yet to be determined as it will need to includes the future ways of getting tickets - maybe even cumulating in turning up at the Olympic Stadium one morning next August and deciding whether or not I can afford the cheapest seat available on the day
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    My annoyance with the whole process is caused by several factors:

1. Lack of information about the numbers of tickets available at each venue and price band. This would have affected my decisions on what to apply for.

2. Trying to sell all the tickets in one wave. No opportunity to learn from mistakes or to tweak the process. The consolation of being able to bid for a mid-priced seat for a hockey heat or something indicates that they hadn't thought it through properly.

3. The need to pay upfront a year early for all the tickets.

3. And above all, because I didn't get any image
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    I forgot Mo was running, what a stunning run he did. Being based in the US can't be hindering him.
    Watched the Brownlees triumph at Madrid tri today. Alastair far too good for Gomez.

Down in Weymouth now after a 3+ hour drive due to bad traffic. Registered for the tri and took my bike where I thought we had to rack and there were no bikes. Turns out they get racked tomorrow (should read the instructions properly). Can't believe I have to come down just to flipping register and get a number. Why can't they put it in the post!
    Bike route has been changed from a nice fast course to quite a hilly one due to old course having a trainline in the way and potentially having to wait 10mins at barriers so now course looks really tough. Quite a bit of wind at the beach and water looks choppy. Not too cold but by the time I get in at 7 tomorrow morning I bet it will be.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Just had worst run I can ever remember. Trying to get back into it but felt exhausted from the first stride and just got slower. Actually had to get the missus to pick me up in the car after 3 hours as I couldn't face the last few miles home. Was also trying (unsuccessfully) to temporarily take my mind off some shocking recent news.

From being outwardly fit and well a couple of weeks ago, my mum has been diagnosed with an advanced terminal cancer and has been given only a few months to live. Sorry for sharing that on such a public forum, but I know a few on here have suffered similarly in recent times.

Going to be a tough few months coming up. Won't be complaining about my dodgy calf for a while at least...
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Dan - sorry to hear about your mum. Understable why you couldn't run any further with those emotions going around in your head. Nothing more I can say.
  • Options
    Dan - really sorry to hear your sudden and shocking news. I can only offer you my very best wishes for the coming months.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Sorry DanA, that's awfully tough.

Happier for you FR -- very well done on the parkrun!

I was going to do a long run tomorrow but might show up on the day for the Tilty Hilly 5 -- looks like a low-key affair but I note Bertie Powell featuring in the past results. At the front of course.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    sh*t DanA really sorry.
  • Options

Hail Hail

DanA - all thoughts are with you and yours.  Really tough.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Dan, I'm really sorry to hear that. And don't apologise for sharing - what happens in life affects running: what a priority it is and how well it goes. Take care.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Dan - that's horrible news, and I'm sure you're still reeling from the shock of it. Although there is no upside to all of this, I'm sure your family will gather together to support both mum and yourselves. If ever there was a time to be strong, it's now....both for your mum and yourselves
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Dan A - all the best.

A spellbinding 10K from Mo.  He looked comfortable at the back of the pack but then his move and final 600m were just incredible.  Interested to see if Merga feels he was barged a bit.

And typically thoughtful words from Tom on the tickets and nice summary from Dan A.

• Options

Dan A - Really sorry to hear that. After struggling myself with a very similar situation I know there is not much anyone can say to help, sometimes going for a run makes me feel better and sometimes it makes me feel worse. My thoughts are with you.

Messi - I know that you study in Hull but do you train with a club? At the moment SL2 is putting on some really good training sessions in Beverley if you you are interested.

Had another go at a the parkrun today and luckily all the fast boys had the day off so I managed an easy win in 17.06 edging in front of another of my students.

I think I might jog over to watch the Humber Bridge 10k tomorrow morning. Anyone running it?

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Dan A - that is so terribly sad. My thoughts are with you and your family. You are still allowed to moan about your calf (or a crap run), sometime thinking about 'normal' things helps.  
  • Options
    DanA - Really sorry to hear your news.  As coro says don't be shy about moaning about your calf/running.  We'll be happy to listen.