Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    M – 9m total w/ 5 x 800m VO2max intervals (2:47; 2:48; 2:41: 2:50; 2:36; jogging for around 1:45 or so between intervals; rest was at easy 8min/mile pace) – these intervals are pretty new to me and I’m still not sure of the best pace to run them (and how to resist the temptation to go flat out). This ties to being a new runner and still hugely uncertain about what I’m doing – please see my question on pace below, partic in light of Friday’s time trial.

T – 14m w/ 7m in the middle at MP of 6:44/m (first few a bit slower, last few a bit quicker)

W – 6m recovery with 7 or 8 100m strides (haven’t really done strides yet, trying to build in a couple to help with speed and technique – a good idea I assume…)

Th – 5m recovery

F – schedule called for an 8-15k “tune up race”; following your advice (and scared of getting injured by doing a park run on uneven hampstead heath hills) decided to do a solo 10k time trial to test my current fitness. It was 6am and 2m warm up felt a bit rough but decided to push myself anyway. Previously, my quickest time over 10k was off the back of a tempo run a few weeks ago when I raced the last few kms to try to break 37 and came out with 36:56. Aimed to beat that. Ended up really surprising myself running 35:21 – I chose a very generous flat loop but still a bit unexpected. Even when preparing for the Luxembourg half by running flat out 10ks all the time (before I knew anything about training), I struggled to break 40:00. 3k to 7k were the strongest/quickest, last 2-3 pretty tough but I was very pleased.

S – 17m LR; 10m @ c 7:35/m then decided to push myself and do 5m @ MP (held at 6:43/m) before a 2m cool down; I think the reason Pfitzinger cuts the LR back from doing 20 milers to 17 is because of the race/time trial the day before and it felt like a very good test for running on weary legs – which is why I decided to push for the MP section; called for quite a lot of mental discipline and the last mile was tough – if it’s any simulation of the final 6m of running a marathon, I’m slightly intimidated…

S – rest and hopefully recovering from niggle affecting inside of right knee (appeared about 6m into LR, seemed to get a fair bit worse when I slowed down after the MP section to do the cool down but we’ll see how things are tomo)

Hope you’re all doing well.

Lev
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Wow Lev, you are improving well. Why don't you try for 6.30 marathon pace in your next outing and see how you get on as I reckon on mara day 6.45's will be too easy if you just ran 35min 10k 'in training'. Won't be too many guys who can run 35min 10k even ones around the 2.50 mark.

Hope it went well Padams and Dan A.

The commentary on Ch4 Athletics is awful and the tit who doesn't seem to know much about it keeps looking down at his script while addressing the camera.  Michael Johnson must be cringeing.
    When McConnell got off her race the female interviewer asked straight off what she felt about Ohurugu without asking about her race. Looking forward to the 10000m now. 

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Lev - not been on here as much as usual as haven't been running but from what I've read seems to me you're nailed on for a sub 3. You seem to have got your big mileage weeks in and good speed too. I run locally (well usually) to you as I live in Muswell Hill so run with London Heathside who run over towards Hampstead Heath and the surrounding area. Heathside are a good club and very friendly but I remember you saying running in the evening is difficult with work. There's a good 9am group that does sunday morning runs which can be fast but a bit clique from what I remember. Anyway good luck for Berlin, I think you'll do it comfortably if you run the first half sensiblyimage

CW - I stayed in a hotel in Keswick that looks right onto the town hall where Bob Graham starts and finishes where no doubt  you will be someday image

Padams - hope your wedding went well

Gobi - out of interest what are you aiming for at Snowdonia?

Murph - hope your training is going well. Cattermole ffs,lol Even a red and white I know says he's a total liability and thug in your team. No doubt he'll seriously injury someone else this season.

Just a brief check in....... Great weekend walking in the lake district, Haystacks near Buttermere on the sunday then Sca Fell pike from Seathwaite on the monday. Weather was decent sunday, pretty superb monday so great views from the ridges and summit of the Pike. Great just to get away and get some good steady fitness and fresh air in up on the fells. Loved it.

Strange situation I'm in, in that the body responds to long, steady low intensity exercise but when I try and translate that into a short run the body doesn't seem to like it post exercise. Ran on wed and felt fine running a very easy 37 mins. Problem is following couple of days body turns round and says "I don't like this" haha so feel out of sorts if not completely done in at all. All to do with energy production/convesion, mitochondria and few other possible complicated things re thyroid/adrenal gland from what I've read.

Going to be a fairly lengthy comeback trail but being healthy/feeling well 100% of the time is the most important thing. Still spirits pretty good, I have a very mild version of this condition so know I'll come good eventually and don't think I'm that far off given the walking in the lakes etc.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I hope the endurance events went well for Padams and DanA

Lev - you are (still) killing it, you're wayyy under sub3 shape, but even 6:40s would allow you a comfy 2:55. You might never be this fit again, dont waste it on a 2:59 (or worse if you get cramp or tummy trouble aiming for 2:59).

Bagged a soggy camping trip to the New Forest, but the main aim of it was to unplug the nippers from the PS3/Wii/PS/internet, and swap it for lots of fresh air and ludo/snakes and ladders by headtorch. No training to report so 5 zero's against my name. Struggled a bit today to get going again and I'm a bit worried by how much I havnt swum lately.

Whilst I was in the forest I drove the Swash 2 bike route, to make a note of all suitable ditches that I could have a lay down in next Sunday. I need to bag a few days training first though.

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Anyone getting excited yet.....
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Just a small matter of a gold medal on it's way. Bekele out of it now. Too much time out.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    So close! But he beat Merga and Tadesse, both apparently fully fit. Very sad to wonder if we have seen the last of Bekele - first race in 2 years and he couldn't stay with the first 5000. I'll watch the 100m and then get my lazy ass out of the door for my run.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

TR - You should get through next Sunday without mishaps hopefully.  What could possibly go wrong apart from being taken out by ponies, pigs or donkeys and maybe the odd puncture. 

Mo went too soon and got a bit over ambitious dying in the last 100. Should have gone from about 300m to go.

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    ....he either went too soon or too late, but 500m wasn't right for this race. Can't stand the C4 coverage, Eurosport is sooooo much better.

Lev - as the others have said, training indicates better than 'just sub-3'. Looking at my training spreadsheet from 2007, I ran a 6M tempo run in 34:37 a month before running 2:47 (6:24 m/m pace; 1:22 HM split) at a hot London. You sound in similar shape.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

RS78>  I stayed in a hotel in Keswick that looks right onto the town hall where Bob Graham starts and finishes where no doubt you will be someday
    Sounds like you had an excellent weekend there. We have set up an unofficial pattern of doing family holidays in Keswick in alternate years (staying in town there really suits us too), which means next year we're likely to be there again, when I will be 42 as was Bob when he defined his round... be rude not to really!

That's a great parkrun after a heavy week, Gobi.

Nice training Lev -- don't overcook it now, and don't overcook it on the day by getting too "greedy" for a fast time. It would be a shame to go for 2:50 and blow up horribly when you might have done 2:55 comfortably, for example. Very hard to know what is possible until you've tried it and can learn from experience though.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

kicked way to early I'd say, those Africans are hard nuts to crack on the last lap.

JH1 - I'm sure I can find a way to get lost, crash or break my bike or myself.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Mild hamstring issue seems to be resolving fairly swiftly; although Thursday's 8M wasn't entirely comfy (necessitating 1 hour bike and 1 hour cross-training on Friday in place of a run), I managed 8M yesterday, including a steep hill, and 12M this morning. Backed that up with another hour on the cross-trainer yesterday afternoon and this afternoon. I'm prepared to say that 40M of running, 3 hours on the cross-trainer and 1 hour on the bike adds up to at least 60M equivalent. If the hamstring remains happy, I should be able to do another 2 sessions before Bristol to try and sharpen up a little more - I'll warm up carefully, though!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Bon soir all,

Not been on here for ages - combo of mad at work, lots going off in general life and a 2 week holiday on the edge of the New Forest, but had a proper read back (took me 3 days of dipping in and out of the thread!!). Holiday was tops - I stayed on a farm about a mile from the scene of the upcoming thread smackdown (Downton that is....) - weirdly it looks like I'll have ran a fair bit of that Half Mara course myself while I was there. I was also in Swanage the day before the Tri and padams' sea swim it seems, but failed to make any of the Bournemouth Club runs as it just wasn't practical whilst on a family holiday. Had a nice time though - lovely part of the world, and some cracking Cream Teas were consumed image

Anyway, sorry to read of selbs' demise as I was hoping we might share an Amstel or two after the Mara, but a wise choice it seems. Likewise sorry to read of RS's ongoing issues, but it seems a course of action has been found so good luck with that. Better news re wardi's hammy, and nice to see joolska back at it properly (despite the little hamstring scare of late).

Lots of bonkers stuff going on as ever I see. Ultras, bike TTs, Tris etc - some cracking performances as ever. Anyone know how Dan got on? And belated congrats to padams on his marriage image

Welcome to Lev too - for info I raced a 10k 2 weeks before London and PBd with a 35'48. I then ran 2'49 at VLM, so I think you're in fine fettle.

Apologies to others I'll have no doubt missed (lots of folk I'm sure.....image)

Still ticking along here. I did that 24 hour race again on the last weekend of July. In a mixed team of 5 (our filly was Caz (a.k.a Mrs Njord) - managed to bag the win by doing 330km between us. It was very close though - for the first 18 hours there was never more than about 5 minutes between us and another team (whose filly ran 2'46 at VLM this year!) but we just pulled away at the end. Was a cracking event again - hard work but great fun, and lots of laughs.

I've tried to take it steadyish since, but have been creaking a bit. Almost did a selbs and withdrew from Amsterdam, but glad I didn't. A faith-restoring 21 miles with the last 10 at 6'20 avg this morning (on a muddy trail too) so pleased with that.

Anyway, will try and post a bit more regularly again if I can.

• Options
    Bonjour LS21. Well done to you and the team for the 24 hour win.

Disappointing day at the athletics yesterday. I'm sure there are good reasons for the false start rule but as a spectator I think it sucks. And I can't help thinking that Mo had the gold in his hands...

Lev - I hope you will keep running after Berlin. If you can do 35:10 for a training 10k after only a few months' running then I reckon you could become good.

24 slow and rather niggly miles for me yesterday, making 72 miles for the week. Thinking of 2 more weeks at 70-80mpw, then a cutback week of 50 or so, then a 3 week taper. So in effect a 4 week taper to try to get to the start line niggle free. I had some speed in mid-July and somehow I'm running slightly more miles than in previous campaigns, so maybe all's not lost just yet (he said optimistically).
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    If 72M were niggly, perhaps keep them at 70M weeks, FR?

7M for me this morning. Lots of icing and stretching (although clearly not in that order...) seems to have resolved the hammie issue and felt absolutely fine.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

LS21.. good to see you checking in again.  Nice 21 yesterday & a speedy last few miles in the mud.  Congrats on the team prize too.

RS.. you seem to be managing your situation well, I hope it all comes good for you one day soon. 

Lev.. great training fella.  On paper you are certainly good enough for 2:50-2:55.

Gobi.. good miles last week and a tidy Park Run too. 

FR.. in your previous post you sounded like you needed sticking back together!  Hope the taper sorts you out.

Jools.. splendid news on the hammie.

Hope the Padams family had a good day.

A warm welcome back to TR.

Likewise I've had no bother from my hammie problem this week.  12.3m done today, a bit tired towards the end which I suppose was inevitable given the lack of running since late April.  Just delighted to be pounding the tarmac & trails again.  I remember seeing the plodders section of a local club out recently on my bike commute.  I reckon they were 10-11 min. miling at best, but I found myself filled with jealousy.  As TR often says, it's just putting one foot in front of the other but they had one up on me on that front! 

More good news.. the bill from my Physio for cortisone injections, ultrasound & consultation was only £38.  I think he must have felt sorry for me!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

LS21 - good work, hope you havnt hurt yourself this time with the 24hr race. Although the 6:20s show that you are in good nick. 

Wardi - good for you. Nice to see someone just enjoying running for what it is.

I went out on my pre Tri TT route today for 31M (it needs a Sunday or BH as it has lots of traffic on usually) and I saw better numbers than I have before even on a windy day with a few enforced traffic light stops.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Feeling rough this morning as we had a pizza and pop evening yesterday. Safe to say my 10 miler this morning was not fast.

Backed up Saturdays 5km with a hilly 10km on Sunday. Rode 25 miles to the start tried to race tactically and got dropped on the descents during the last 4kms. Finished 2nd overall. Rode the 25 miles back to my hotel.

All good fun.

Assuming Padams is married and waiting to hear from Dan.

TR - you sound like you are ready to race.

I am not losing weight :¬0
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Lev: You're a lot quicker than I was when I ran 2:51. Although I do run quite a lot of MP miles more easily than some others here seem to manage. My last training plan (P&D) had 20 mile runs with 10,12, & 14 mile sections @ MP which I managed OK.

TR: Nice to hear the bike is strong. I think my bike is reasonable, but I'm backing off on the bike training a bit to add some more running miles back in. Did 14 yesterday to celebrate reaching the age of 47.

Bristol HM this weekend. Minor course changes look good. Is anyone else other than Jools also running?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Good work Gobi, hopefully I am. As long as I convince myself I am I should be ok !

MtR - happy b'day for y'day then. I havnt run much through the summer either but the Milland Valley Trail 1/2 mara I did went well (apparantly points to ~80min on a road course), so I'm clinging to that. However, instead of waiting until January ro start some pre VLM run commuting, I'm going to start it again next week as the cricket season has finished and I dont have to be at cricket matches early on weekday evenings anymore this year. That should give me 2 or 3 doubles on weekdays all autumn and winter. I'll be needing a few run miles at the Ballbuster.

I have invested a lot of bike time this summer, so would be chuffed to see an improvement during the upcoming 2 Tri's. Made an effort to really put some road miles in too (3 to 5 rides each week), I have only been on my turbo twice since the Swash and that was when I first cut my hand. I might lack a bit of quality but I should be strong.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

like others have said - Lev - you sound ready to go way better than 2:59:xx.  my best 10km pre a 2:44:xx last year was 36:00, and i didn't have years of running experience myself.  I'd just head off at what feels comfortable, but being careful not to get too carried away/go too fast.  If you just want a nice solid run, then starting at 6:30's through the first half and then gradually speeding up 2nd half sounds more than achievable for you.  If you want to "go for it" then start at 6:20's.... but that add's risk of blowing up....  good luck anyway sounds like training is going well.

Nice training as ever, and sharp park run Gobi.

TR - definitley sounds like you are ready to rumble!

FR - you sound ready to taper... take it easy

Wardi - onwards and upwards, great news.  wonder what caused the sudden breakthrough in the end.  injuries are weird sometimes.

nice to see u LS21 - congrats on teh relay!  sorry i won't be in amsterdam as well - but instead it sounds like i might have a ncie surprise 40th present of a trip to anfield for the liverpool man u game... that woudl eb a good consolation as i have never been there.

waiting to hear how DanA got on with interest.  it sounded like another BRUTAL race with the weather taking a real toll.  less than half the starters finished....

not much too report here - last 4 weeks mileage has been 0, 3, 16, 21.  Calf injury feels fine.  Nerve damage around foot feels terrible, starting to ache at night even.  I think a trip to the doc at some point will be needed. Doesn't eemt o impact jogging so going to keep trying to increase (gradually) the mileage for now though.

good luck at Bristol MtR/Joolska

• Options

Mtr - I thought that Bristol was on the 11th of September?  I'm entered for Chippenham which I thought was on the same day but is definitely on the 11th.

LS21 - Glad to hear that you seem to have made it through the mad 10k race this year.  Had you a team of 5 rather than 2 this year?  Sounds more sensible.

Lev - I'm with Gobi.  You're exactly the same height as me and 30kgs lighter image.  All of the training you've posted suggests that you're going to go well under 3.  When you're running the race remember that the first half will feel easy so be careful about pushing too hard in that part of the race.  Hope you'll keep running afterwards.  It sounds like you could get to be pretty good. Also, a litle belated but if you've been following P&D up to this stage I'd suggest sticking with their plan rather than adding new elements into your training for this marathon.

TR - Just to prove that I have been lurking image  You've mentioned a few times that the HRM is telling you that you're not able to put enough effort in on the bike compared to running.  Just wanted to make sure that you knew that you don't hit the same HR levels on the bike as you do running.  Suspect you do but given that you're famously adverse to gadgets.... image

RS78 - I have a family member who's had ME for several years so I have a little insight into what you're going through.  I'm very impressed with how you're handling it.  As you know the way to manage it is counter-intuitive to how runners think of training (kill yourself, recover - repeat).  The names chronic fatigue/ME do seem to be a bit of an umbrella term which makes diagnosis and treatment very hard but I'm still reading with interest everything you say about your experiences. Good luck and keep letting us know how you're getting on.

Nice to see Wardi easing off the bench.  Joolska's training for her ultra run seems to be ramping up nicely.  Sounds like FR is reaching out for a new level.  A pity that selbs won't be in Amsterdam - I take it you're not tempted to have that operation?  I suspect that we're all happy to see coro see the mojo coming back a little - a kind of superman who can do it all image.

Lurking but not posting much as I'm trying to get myself ready to train properly for a spring marathon - not currently helped by an orthotist who's struggling to get a new heel on my orthotics.  Finally decided last week to rip it up and start again but every update takes at least a week which means the process drags on.  Fortunately I have another not quite so good pair so I've been getting in a few miles.  I'll be doing Chippenham but probably as a training run instead of the original plan as a goal race for the autumn.   

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Matt: happy birthday for yesterday.  I agree with Clearly - I'm 99.9% certain that the Bristol half is on the 11th...

Clearly: sorry to hear that you've been struggling of late.  Hope the orthotics are sorted soon; although orthotics are one of those things that divide opinion, they've worked for me.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Selbs - feeling terrible means that you should get that trip to the docs sooner rather than lately, having said that I still have a bit of nerve damage in my foot that I manage ok.

Clearly - Jools is correct on the divided opinion re orthotics, but if they work for you then use em. I agree on the bike HRs, I'm getting better at getting it up but realise that I wont achieve the same HRs I would see if I was to collect any running data. The HRM is a good tool on the turbo, chasing the av speed up is still the best way to get my HR up outside. I wont wear the HRM in my Tris, its just a training tool.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Cheers for the 'well dones' etc re the Relay. Yes it was a team of 5 this year which was a bit different from last time. I 'only' did 43 and a bit miles this time compared to more than double that last year, but it was at a much quicker pace. I basically had 24 hours of running a hard 10k followed by 3 hours rest (repeat x 7 times), but the course really did feel tough this year. It was exactly the same as last year, but felt a lot harder running it at a hard effort. It's pretty hilly, quite twisty and all off-road so it was a challenge. Pleased not to be crocked this time too, although that was more down to what I did AFTER the event than the event itself I think, so I had a couple of steady weeks this time round and (touch wood) I seem to be ok.

Some good stuff going on, particularly from TR and Gobi. Gobi's training/racing continues to impress as ever, and TR looks ready to go in the Tri - very encouraging ride yesterday image

Hope FR's body is still holding together. Taper time soon!

Good stuff from wardi again too. With all the cycling you've been doing I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the running fitness comes flooding back.

Belated Happy Birthday to MtR too. I also meant to say well done for your debut Tri as well - cracking effort that image  Oh and for info njord is running Bristol.

selbs - sorry to hear about the foot issue, but glad the calf seems ok. Can't help thinking the two are related though? Footy sounds good too - tey've both made very good starts, and Liverpool v Man U is always a bit tasty!

Also hope Clearly gets sorted with the orthotics - you're definitely due a change of luck on the injury front.

Not much to report here - did a bit of plodding yesterday and will do some leg strength work in the gym later, along with some kind of light  (non-running) cardio. I've learnt through trial and error that my body performs much better on about 70mpw max, so trying to be sensible despite my Mara not being too far off.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Hi all, back from the Alps after another highly eventful weekend.

Had a bit of everything from emotional highs to utter desperation, heartbreaking disappointment to some unforgettable moments that will live with me forever. Visited some dark places I've never been close to before but still surprised myself with how it all turned out. Amazing that a running race could produce such a rollercoaster.

Won't spoil it for those that don't know what happened, as I'll write up a report if there's any interest. It will have to be fairly long so, like me during the race, it will be in pieces.

Need to catch up on some work first. Part 1 to follow in due course.

Hope the weekend went a bit more to plan for Padams
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Report please, DanA.  Haven't cyber-stalked you yet, but sorry to hear that things were a bit mixed.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Obviously dementia is setting in - that's twice in the last few weeks I've misremembered a race date.

At least I realised now rather than Sunday morning!