Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

First foray back into some kind of speed this morning for me, but not up to Padam's quality. 4x(0.5M hard, 0.5M steady), with the efforts at 5:42/M avg, then 7.5M brisk/hard teady@6:40/M]steady @6:40/M, total 12.5M @ 6:40/M average. With a 2kg rucksack. So not setting the world alight, but pretty reasonable considering my patchy training recently. I did have a glimmer of tightness in the back of my thigh, and a stiff glute this morning -- wondering if it was the bike yesterday (total 13M) that brought it back a bit. Maybe my cycling "rest" days are worse than running...

And a tub of pure magnesium citrate has turned up too, so I've got something to sprinkle on my cornflakes. If I ate cornflakes. Actually I've no idea what to do with it, but hey, it's a great new fad.

• Options

Nice reps Toro.

CW - ignore the grumpy manc; magnesium does actually help. Nice intro session.

Padams - more quality reps. You seem to be in really good form!

AW - I was going to do the Oxford 10k until I realised it was mainly on grass. I'll probably do the Fred Hughes 10m instead (the week before).

TR - going back a bit, what happened to your friends wife with the competition threads? It seems a strange setup in how they do it all. I'd like to see them have a category for, say, a championship time as well.

Nothing wrong with your fitness PP if you're starting back in on those kind of paces! Fingers crossed for the foot. The elliptical might be a good shout for you - weight bearing but no impact. You could even do some time on it and then go straight into a run as well, possibly building up the running side as your foot improves?

Welcome to sheruns, and welcome back to TaN.

Things are looking up here big time on all fronts, which is a massive change from a few days ago image 

I bagged my first double digit run in two weeks last night (a progressive 12m) and followed up with a 6/12 double today, the 2nd run of which included 3/4m @ 5:17 (a little quicker than current 5km pace), 3m @ 5:39 (just inside current HM pace), and 8 x 15s strides/45s floats.

Efforts put me probably close to 20s down on Amsterdam shape, but that's not too bad considering.

• Options

TT - Looks like you're getting back to it nicely.  You read my mind, and an excellent shout on the elliptical.  My thoughts turned to it only today, for the first time in ages, as I left the gym. It has to be the closest thing to running without sending shockwaves through my heel so I might try and fit it in along with the rowing and spinning.  

Also since TR turned me on to the training and ponderings of aerobic-machine/gym-robot/tri-dude Hywel Davies, I see that he is a big fan of doing lots of training at around threshold level, no matter what the activity, and I think I've found that doing a variety of 45-60 mins fairly intense sessions on the bike and rowing have kept me aerobically very fit without really knackering me out, so it may be that I can keep up a decent level of running fitness off much less mileage.  I'll need to experiment with just how much quality I can get away with whilst allowing the foot to recover.

I'm still not swimming though.  image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT - sounds like you're getting back into it. I've entered the FH10 this year. Never run it before as the club didn't really let us (had to marshal instead), but we're allowed to now. No idea on what shape I'll be in - it's not a particularly fast course, so maybe around 56 mins.

Can any recommend a fast 10k, anywhere to the south and east of Birmingham, preferably with a decent standard field, in March? I need to set myself a goal for early next year.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Eastleigh? Not done it but lots of people have PBs from there.  TR has I think?

• Options

TT - mainly on grass!! I must have missed that, may bin that then and find something else!

Nice reping yesterday by people, some rapid times!

Steady 9 miles over lumpy terrain today about 7.30 pace.

• Options

I'm supposed to be doing Eastleigh if my foot's OK!

• Options

AW - a work colleague of mine spotted it and tipped me off, so I double checked with the organiser who said it's grass and park path.

PP - I can understand that concept of frequently hitting around LT. If you take away the impact then you can do a lot of it. Most of my elliptical sessions when I was waiting for my knee op a few years back would have fallen into that 'fairly intense' bracket.

Nice one Padams image No idea what shape I'll be in then either but hopefully around the same as you. I'll be doing it as part of a long run if you fancy a few miles afterwards. I'll add another vote for Eastleigh. I ran it once when I was not running long and always wanted to get back to have another crack at it.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams - FH10 is not a slow course, I ran a similar time there as I did as GSR

Did my first 10 miler of 2013 today, sounds wrong to call it a long run but it is these days.
  • Options

TT - Thanks for the heads up. 10k with grass under foot in January not what I had planned, will look for something else.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - Eureka......Bullseye......the eagle has landed.......home run.... ! You're getting warmer dude, the penny has nearly dropped ! Excellent news.

TT - she copped some pretty unfair and jealous behaviour, shame really. Not sure exactly how it works but folsk must get direcetd here from somewhere and new folks can win places, then there is the expectancy etc from the rest of the posters, some of whom were over looked for that very position.

PP - Hywel Towel doesnt do easy training as afr as i can see, its all hurt box and spread across various disciplines. He is a gun biker and yet does his lots of his winter bike training on the C2. Keep at it.

Padams - Chichester in Feb is a right tear up and a nice course. Never doen Eastleigh but its fast and HRRL so attracts a decent field. Supposed to be a dull course though round industrial areas.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Thought I had best get in training for the training and as the first BAC session on my (2011 or 2012) schedule is 3x10mins with 3mins rest, I did that session within a 10M early doors today. Pavement was a bit icy in places too - didnt want to fall over on consecutive Wednesdays ! Did the efforts on my measured 2M loop and the easy paced rests came in more like 2:30 ish as I started the next rep at the end of the 2M. I reckon I was doing about 6:10 pace so faster than MP (6:30 to 6:40) and slower than HMP which is ~6:00 for me. I guess 6:10 pace is a bit too slow really and ~3min of easy running rest is a ridiculous amount of rest when I'm used to 30sec, but again maybe I was running too slow. Doesnt matter really I guess, as its all about a bit of (Hywel Towel stylie) hurtbox.

• Options

Nice sessions TT. With my glute a touch tight today maybe the Mg isn't a complete miracle cure, but I did notice that on Monday my legs were fine to run after the first 20M in ages the day before, and this evening they were quite perky after my 12.5M this morning, whereas sometimes they're quite cranky after a big morning session. So maybe it's good for muscle recovery.

TR -- just yet another theory about the bike days actually causing me issues. If I have enough theories, one or two are bound to be right eventually...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - its not the bike days, its the non-running days. Your body showed you last spring how it likes to be treated running wise.

• Options

Hey, I just had a 6 day streak! I don't think I ever did more than that pre-VLM. Though I'm counting a minimal 3M jaunt back from work one evening.

• Options
    CW - magnesium is no miracle cure for anything other than magnesium deficiency. Always worth googling something like "magnesium muscle cramp myth" before falling for these sort of things in future....unless you were magnesium deficient of course? You'll often find, amongst the blogs written by health enthusiasts citing amazing benefits, a scientific study of previous research which concludes no benefit.

When you get a drug that REALLY works, like iboprofen, or penillicin, the effects are massively overwhelming in every test done. The best you'll ever get with these crank ideas like magnesium is "in a recent study, 10 % of respondees showed a 5% increase in recovery time...." Ie, if it works it hardly works.

However, if you are magnesium deficient then it's a different matter of course.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone, think I may go for Eastleigh (just need to check dates). TR - Chicester is a bit more of a pain to get to compared to Eastleigh. Sounds like Eastleigh might be a mini thread day out as well.

TT - cool, I might be up for a few miles after the FH10.

Gobi - did you run that on the old course (pre-2009 ish I think) or the current one? I run around the current course all the time (my house is virtually on it), and it's fairly undulating. The old course was fast though.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Forgot to say, 80 mins on the turbo last night inc. 3x15mins at about 285W, then 290W then 305W, 5 mins recovery between efforts.

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Nice morning pace TR. Bought any new wheels for the bike yet?

Regular running has started, 10m seems to be the bread and butter runs and last nights run was a much lower hr.

I'm prob gonna do Chichester as looks good for a pb. Shame it's same day as Wokingham.
  • Options

Seasons greetings to each & everyone of you, hope everyone is running well at the moment & injuries are down to the bare minimum / on the mend

Havent really been on here since I got injured in June ( Achilles / Calf strain ), but I'd like to put this one out there; Has anyone ran Brighton Marathon since they have been doing it in the last few years ?

How do you think it compares speed wise to London ?

Has the wind been an issue down there in the last few years ?

I ran 2:40:00 at London this year & like to think that on my best day in the Marathon I would be capable of a 2:34:59 or at least something in that ballpark, I don't think I would run that at Brighton or anywhere else in the foreseeable future but like to think as a reasonably educated guess that I have that sort of performance in me.

3 years in a row at London & I've had three good, positive experiences & consecutive PB's, but sometimes its good to do something different.

Cheers

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Hey PP, not sure if this is old ground, but whilst reading "Born to run" i somehow also stumbled across this http://www.williamsichel.co.uk/documents/Running_Fast_and_Injury_Free.pdf

which is a fairly short read and you might find some ideas in there that might help i guess if you wanted to think more about changing the way you run, rahter than the orthotics option. 

i'm not saying its a miracle cure... but i am experimenting myself with trying to change the way i run a bit in order to hopefuly eventually get back into it properly.  i guess partly inspired by born to run, and partly this "paper" attached abve, and my own experience to date.

when i first started running in 2008, i really pounded the pavement LOUDLY with my slow cadence (less than 2.5 steps per second, so like 135-40 per minute).  in 2010 i managed to change that (once i read about 3 per second being more "the norm" for good runners) and i have managed to do that, and in 2010 it coincided with my best injury free run and biggest improvement in running marathons (from 3:03 down to 2:44).  but now i think even with those changes i am still a big heel striker... so trying to work more on landing on the balls of my feet.  we'll see if i get back to it next year (now of course making these changes has injured a tendon and i am trying to recover from that - will need to go slowly as i try ad ingrain it).  The main thing is after nearly 1.5 years of not really being able to run much at all - i want to be able to get back to a form of runing that i can sustain (like some on here) year in year out and i think chaning something will be the only way achieve it for me.

will be watching the prep for london with interest!  i have entered edinburgh, but its more wishful thinking than realistic expectation... if it happens and i survive then Frankfurt is the big aim.

• Options

Selbs - Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Looks like some good bedtime reading!  I'm definitely open to ideas on running form so I'll have a gander.  It's good to see you've got some long term goals for the new year.  Really hope you can see that through.  image

I wasn't free for any lunchtime activity and I feel like giving the foot a bit more of a rest, so I think I'll be up for a quality row straight after work. 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams - old course, sorry didn't know.

Nice bike session
  • Options

ST - Did Brighton this year and the wind was definitely a factor. You turn at 21 into the prevailing wind with no shelter. It was a tough last 5 and I slowed by about 45secs a mile; how much of that was fading or the wind I'm not sure. The rest of the course is perfect IMO - there's some gentle lumps and bumps in the first 10 to give you a bit of variety while you're fresh and then pancake flat from there.

There is an 'elite' start (sub 3:05 I think) which has about 200 people. Plenty of toilets,  a dead straight, slightly downhill mile and no idiots sprinting off and getting in the way. You join the masses after about 1.5 miles so only a handful were infront of me by then.

• Options

Nice Session TR, I used to run that sort of session a bit as my Thursday session. Usually aimed for a tad quicker than HM pace when I did it. I prefer to run a progressive sort of session quite a bit on a Thursday now.

Which is what I did today. 7 miles total with 5 progressive, pretty happy with the session and splits as it felt pretty controlled. Splits were 7.56, 7.27, 6.38, 6.01 and 5.25. 

• Options

Interesting read Selbs.  Didn’t realise arms came in to it so much, never really know what I should be doing with mine apart from keeping them in and not crossing over the front.  Think I’ll work on that a bit.  Amazing the kind of training top athletes put themselves through.  If only I didn’t have to work…

I moved over to the forefoot running with minimal trainers after reading Born to Run.  Before that I had never really thought about a correct way to run, having not been a member of a club.  Apart from the odd foot pain now and again, I don’t get any injuries now and used to suffer from knee and hip issues.  I can’t say if it’s the reason for me getting faster but it did make me enjoy running more and so increased the amount I did.  I probably run too much on my forefoot now and try to mid-strike a bit more.  My friends wind me up for running like a velociraptor.  I’m not quite cheetah speed yet though.

Clever girl.

• Options

AW - nice progression, very quick last mile!

Selbs - good link, and good luck with the return to form and forefoot running.

Sheruns - welcome to the forum, good to have another lass on the thread.

Toro - nice 1k reps

PP - nice job volunteering for the 3 hr pacing. (I'm hoping Marders will pace 2.45 again!)

CW - good speed sessions.

Dids - are you alright? Only 1 slow 2 mile run so far this week on Strava, after a 100 mile wk last week?

DanA - good to hear you are targeting sub 2.45 again - I've got a feeling 2014 could be a good year.

I've had a good week of training: Managed to knock a minute of my PB on my 10k offroad hilly commute - 42mins image on Friday.

Then a progressive 11miler at the weekend finishing at MP.

Tough Track session on Tues: 4x1m + 4x400m reps (5.17 and 72s were the quickest).

This morning I did my first mid-week 'Medium Long Run' which is something I've missed out in previous campaigns. I can't quite believe Pfitz recommends 2 medium runs in the week plus the long run. Managed 14miles @ 7min/m before work - feeling very sleepy now!

//

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - nice one on the 15min reps. Would be intersting to compare if I had some power readings. Eastleigh is a possible for me (3 weeks out from VLM), but my main build up race is 5 weeks out and I could end up losing long runs in the last 5 or 6 weeks if I race too much.

JH1 - no new wheels yet, not even going to try to get that purchase rubber stamped this time of year. I'll get interested in February time. The speed machine is hanging up in the garage, I give it a knowing wink when I'm on the turbo.

Selbs - good luck with that, it would be nice to see you get back to it.

ST - I got halfway through the Brighton entry process (for 2013) and then bailed when it said it had an enfoced expo.

AW - a bit faster than HMP for the 10min reps? not sure I can muster 5:5X pace at 6am, I guess thats why the sessions are done in the evening as a group.

60min turbo (8min intervals for me), and 10x200 in the lido.