Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

CW - possibly, although I'm not sure how one would tell the difference between bog-standard illness and being overtrained.

• Options

Still time to get some more fitness/form Lev.

Sounds like a bit of lurgy onset Dachs and LS21. As CW says plenty about at the minute. Great to still get the miles in though!

Good luck at the Nationals at the weekend Jools. My clubs taking a bus full up, sounds like a lot of fun, shame I'm crap at xc or I'd consider it.

Legs a little tired and stiff this morning when I got up - not a stiff as they were yesterday however, still feeling the weekends running a bit. Felt ok once I started running today though. 10 miles this morning with 5 x 1 mile reps off 1.30's. Managed to run them quicker than last time I did the session 3 weeks ago, with a bit less recovery too. 5.30, 5.30, 5.35, 5.36 and 5.34. Pretty consistent, but last 2 hurt a bit, not so much breathing wise, legs just started to feel a bit dead.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Charlie - cheers, but just a bit of lurgy for me I think. I prob didn't listen to my body enough though because I very rarely get ill. Maybe the odd cold here and there, but the type you just train through. This one seems a bit worse though. Still, few steady days and I'll be ok. Having said that I prob was guilty of chasing things a bit. This campaign hasn't been a good one - my paces are poor and I just can't seem to nail the key sessions. That was probably why I felt I couldn't really miss another long run - but I've set myself further back than I was to start with. Hey ho! Sub-3 at the mo seems a LONG way away...

• Options

That's very kind of you OS, thank you. He should be ok as he is going over into a job with somebody he knows, but doesn't know much about there other than they have a football team image Any local quirks he should know about?

Dachs - if I 'need' it to be a long then I'll be looking for 6-7 either side. I would hope to only be doing a standard warm-up and cool-down though given that I can get two longer ones in Mondays/Wednesdays most weeks.

lol. Sorry Dan. Though I should point out I've only done one week at that volume, not the consecutive bigger weeks you've been doing!

Great news CD!

Nice 10m DrD.

Good to hear the injury woes have just about cleared up Lev_. Don't rush things.

Nice reps A.W.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Bedders - drop me a PM if you like.  My company does pacing at a number of events; we've got full teams for this weekend and another in March, but we'll need pacers for later in the year (eg, Royal Parks half, Ealing half etc), and I can add you to my database.  Also, I do pacing for RW sometimes.  I can pass you their details although they're full up for 2014 I think.  I got PP and a few of my mates into London as pacers this year through RW.

Went down to Brighton this weekend.  Spoke to marders afterwards; said he was hoping to go a bit quicker (!!) but was running alone the whole way and the breeze was costing 5-10 secs in the first half.  Then he disappeared off for another 7 miles...

/members/images/183787/Gallery/marders.jpg

/members/images/183787/Gallery/tom_A.jpg

• Options

Dan - any objection if I share that on our facebook group?

• Options

Nice one from marders there, in Dan's 'Where's Wally?' photo.

Chin up LS21, sometimes when you think training has been rubbish you end up with the best races, because you're not expecting anything. 

I managed to squeeze in 10 miles this lunchtime, but inevitably I got caught in torrential rain at the end.  Better than snow & ice I suppose...

• Options
    TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Hi all, a cut back week last week coincided with a long planned trip to London to take 2 of my youngsters (aged 2 and 4) on their first ever plane ride and trip to the big smoke, (Natch Hist, Aqaurium etc) most exciting! Thoroughly exhausting brilliant long weekend with zero miles logged for 3 days.

Back to poe raj this week....

Amazed as usual by the proper running exhibited on here. Marders – congrats on the win, seems like its a common occurrence perhaps?! Seriously shifting! All the rest on your LRs and Races to many to mention but to repeat – impressive!

Kowtow.

Quick PS question – Music whilst training? Yay or Nay? I never have but am considering the psychological help it might provide??

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Tmoth - yes to music whilst training for me, especially during dull marathon miles.

By the way, I was also at the London Aquarium with kids in tow at the weekend.  We may have jostled one another in order to get a better view of the hammerheads.

• Options
    TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Dachs, there was a lot of jostling going on! As my 4 year old commented "there are a lot of people (pause for thought) and fish in london daad"!

• Options

Sorry to hear that Dachs hope you feeling fully back to it soon, ps what does one have to do to earn one of your coveted award plates? I've been very jealous when I've seen these and assume its the pinacle of a running career

LS21 that sounds ghastly, rest up and take it easy don't go prolonging the pain by overtraining too soon

Lev good to see you back definitely go with others on the MLR plan if possible

Fab reps AW great work and pretty consistent you're training seems pretty rock solid

Tmoth always music for me...makes it much more fun and inspiring; ast tune at the end of a long run/tempo really spurs me on! ipod shuffle everytime...pearl jam rock!

• Options
    Dan. I don't quite get the sequence of events in those pics- did Marders stand with his arms out for 13 seconds after crossing the line?

TT. Basel is nothing but quirks. Its so Germanic the Germans laugh at it. But after a few months you accept all this and appreciate that everything just works.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Jimbob - of course.  I'll email you the original if you give me an address.

OS - not sure I understand the question

• Options

Dan - thanks mate - i'll pm you it now

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Lev - sounds like same here with a 5 or 6 week build up (hopefully starting next week).

LS21 - sounds like the long run I did when I was coming down with the man flu !

8M easy early doors, 3 running days in a row ! Woo Hoo ! starting to get healthier. Hopefully I can crack on and get back to the hard stuff next week, which will only make it 4 weeks between BAC sessions - I think I had best go back to the start of the schedule again !

• Options

Music whilst running is a big no no in my book.

Definitely a big no no for the half decent runners on here at least, maybe its acceptable for some dopey doris running around the block, if theres some idiot at Parkrun with the big Dr Dre cans on & he's not paying attention & in the way, then I'm going straight through him, I don't care how much his Dr Dre Headphones cost, not my problem if they end up on the floor in a thousand bits!

That is another one of the plethora of bugbears of mine; running whilst listening to music so a faster runner has to run round the outside of you & potentially turn their ankle on rough ground ?

Glad I got that off my chest feel a lot better now.

• Options

Dan. Sorry stupid question. I looked on a wee screen and thought it was the same bloke finishing in each photo. I should have 'staired' more closely (for those following the alternative universe that is Team GB). 

• Options

I think music in races is a big no no. Music in training on the other hand, no problem.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

I train (easy and steady) to music but not at track or races.

Lev - I think that sounds sensible.  I had a blank 10 days 3 weeks ago with tonsillitis - now managed 55 and 62 last 2 weeks and then going up to 71 and 81 planned for next 2.  More than I've ever done too.

Good session today 2x (3x 800 @ 5:20 - 75 rest, 1 mile @ 6:00 threshold) 5 min between sets. 

• Options

I never listen to music while training, though I remember reading once that a bit of loud fast rock can improve your performance a bit, so maybe I should. I've not parkrun for aeons but when I last did, I too had trouble getting stuck behind headphone-wearing back markers who couldn't hear my shouted excuse-mes.

Nice training, people... by contrast, just a weary 7M plod home for me at 8 m/M.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

CW - all counts - my 4 at 5AM was barely 8m/m.  It's hard work this "real" training... it better be worth it!  If it isn't then i'll try again until it is! 

• Options
    Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

no objection to music when training but I never have. Fartleks for me today, 2/3/4/2/3/4/2/3/6 - just under 5:40 for the twos and threes, 5:50 for the 4s and 6 for 6. Felt good.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If I didn't listen to music whilst training (never racing), I'd never get to listen to what I want. Lord knows I can't do it in the car anymore what with having to listen to Bob the Builder, plus endless German kids' rubbish such as Benjamin Bluemchen.

• Options

Nice sesh PiMan and others too. 

Great to see you coming back TR. 

I used to listen to music back in the day beach running but no longer do, except on a dreadmill when it's the only route to sanity. Some of those 21 milers have been so dull that I can see the attraction.

Weird old thing this game isn't it? Had a body-crunchingly-mind-numbingly affected last week. Then suddenly on Sunday pinged out an extremely hilly 21 miler @7'25 with MP sections at the end followed by 7m y'day and 16m today including a great fun 12 mile club session: 2.5m up then 8 x 800 metres 2'47, 2'46, 2'49, 2'45, 2'46, 2'46, 2'48, 2'44 then 4m @ MP. I make those 800's around 5'30 to 5'35. Quite happy with that all things considered.

Going to trim back on the throttle a little second half of this week now. Want some matches for Reading.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

No music here, Mark Allen would tell you to get to know yourself when you are training.

Toro - getting back to teh fast stuff nicely.

Impressive training there HR, you are building well

First run up the hill for a while today (in my 8miler) and my legs ache badly already, I run up there 5 times in a long run sometimes, my legs have gone pretty soft in the last few weeks. This years VLM is going to be a painful one on low mileage legs.

• Options
    I tend not to listen to music during training, but when I have it's cheesy synthy poppy rock with electronic drums, boomy gated tom-toms bouncing across your headphones in stereo. I've trained and raced to the Rocky4 soundtrack and there are songs that make me take off like a Concorde. Hearts on Fire e.g or for steady running:

http://youtu.be/ye8jddRP-bs

15 miles today for me, 10 at mara pace in the morning and a raining jog home after work.
  • Options

Nice running from everyone and hope those having trouble feel better soon. Short session today as most people tapering for nationals xc - 8x2mins off 75s. Very muddy (with someone losing a shoe mid rep!) so not going particularly fast. Did a few other quick bits afterwards running with the orienteering club session for a bit extra as they were going round the same muddy field.

Been having a look at a book recently from the IAF by Canova, and unusually compared to most focusses on elite training (one example of a session am: 10km in 34 mins, 12km 36mins pm: 10km in 24mins 12km 36mins...). Goes into lots of technical detail of the physiology targeted by training and so on as well, does give some interesting ideas for (very tough) marathon specific sessions.

• Options
    TmothTmoth ✭✭✭
    Decent running as per..HR nice 800s...did my first attempt of those last week 8x800s so feel knowledgeable enough to comment! TR, toro, TJB, bufo nice work..pi man i dunno what you did but sounds fast and tough!

In other news tried music on tonights 14mlr....not convinced, defo perked me up on occasion when a suitably high tempo track came on, but other than that was a bit of a faff...ended up holding my phone as it jiggled to much in the pocket...and it delayed my start by 15 mins trying to find ear phones etc. Prolly use it on the odd occasion when motivation is seriously lacking.

Note to self. No doc dre 'phones when i eventually attempt a parkrun!

Kowtow
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice midweek runs Tmoth & Jimbob.

Great long run & a fine session HR, your legs are holding up well as a V50!

Cracking mile reps AW!

Sorry to see LS21 & Dachs poorly, get well soon fellas.

TR.. good to hear you're getting better.  Still time for a bit of cake baking!

Nice to see Lev getting back to decent mileage.

Best of luck in the Nationals Jools.

4.3m am + 8.2m pm for me today.  I do have a top notch HiFi at home but when running I prefer to hear the sound of the birds chirping.  Alternatively when I'm running near work (like tonight) I I need to have my wits about me for cyclists, chavs & any other perils. 

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

bufo - 10km in 24 mins in that session?!

Nice reps by AW, and good training by various others (TR, Lev, Tmoth, Wardi and Jimbob). Good to hear HR is enjoying his running again.

No music while running for me, but I do virtually all of my running with other people so it would be a bit antisocial! I do listen to music on the turbo though - would be pretty unpleasant without, although I'm sure TR will say I should be doing it staring at a blank wall for mental toughness!

65 mins on the turbo yesterday morning with 45 mins fairly hard. Then 9M inc. 8x800m last night - didn't run them too hard, so averaged about 2:35 I think, with a couple closer to 2:30.