Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Strangely I'm heaviest on Mondays (result of LSR?) and lightest on Wednesday to Friday. At least the weight gain / loss is consistant - but the difference is 4kg - over 5% of bodyweight.

Continuing the theme from last week's club interval session, yesterday's was 2 x 1km (90s) + 10 x 400 (60s). The km reps are a good pointer for me - I run them relaxed but fast - similar to how I think 3000 pace feels. Yesterday that translated to 2:58 / 2:53 in windy conditions - that shows a 2s improvement on last week. Need to Cram in a 3km race now - maybe in late August, after I have run my 1500 but before I switch over to winter (marathon) training.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mt
    Nice to see you.

I like the look of some of your up-coming fixtures.

12 stone is TR weight. Probably due to your Tri training. But you seem to run well on it – I think weight is only an issue if the extra weight “wobbles”.

Gobi/CM/JEJ

I’ve a mate who is (was) a decent runner and triathlete. He didn’t like the swimming and so changed to duathlons. He now has a long standing calf issue, so just cycles – and has won a few local (vet) pots too.
    I think runners can cross over to biking quite well – cos they don’t mind pushing themselves.

So given JEJ’s running and swimming ability, he will do well at Tri (in TR’s numpty opinion).
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    sorry MT

The course is dull but the people and the bars are very nice.

Oh and whatever you do get near the front as they have no idea about pacing and there were walkers at the front causing carnege even for people like me who were jogging.

JEJ

that is a huge weight swing. Looks like you really are moving well at the moment, is London 2008 a go ?
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    JEJ - 4kg!! It can only be fluids, so it’s the equivalent of drinking 7 pints. I fluctuate by 600-700gm at most throughout a week (or even over the last 4 months)
  • Options
    did someone call for someone with a lower post count ? That's be me then.

Nice to see MTR and Jooles are proper sub 3 aspirants like me. At last someone I can relate to.

Things are going OK. Niggles are lurking under the surface on my left leg....lots of icing, painful self massage is keeping it under control and not flaring up.

My longest run since January was this weekend. Was a planned 12 but underestimated the far point on a large loop and it turned into a 15. Very very slow pace. The midweek 8's are becoming more confortable and getting somewhat faster (it's all relative) 35 miles last week. Slightly more this week all being well. 3 weeks into Dublin build up and all things considered prettty pleased. Long way to go yet though....don't think i'll get sub 3 this time round as i'm worried I'd break down if I upped the mileage to a level that would give me a chance. Number 1 goal is to stay off the bench and reach the start line.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    TR - not forgetting our Lance, who started competitively as a triathlete but then obviously liked the idea of sitting down and letting the wheels carry him, then came back after retirement to do a marathon and said it was physically the hardest thing he's ever done.

Should've trained over 15 miles then, lazy git. :)
  • Options
    mmmm 492. More than I thought !! Sorry Njord
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PP
    I’ve no doubt’s that Lance could run well under 2h 30m – if he set his mind to it. Rather than just doing a little bit. Not that old chestnut again !

Glad to see you’re still doing a bit. I thought you’d stopped for a bad back.
    I too am a real sub3 aspirant !

I am a long distance (cough) runner with one ½ Mar and one 20 mile race to my name !!

But I reckon that gives me plenty of scope for improvement.
  • Options
    Agree that it's probably fluids / glycogen stores. I do drink a lot in the hours following a long run, and perhaps different meal times over the weekend contribute to the difference. It's still always a shock to see my weight at 72 - 73kg on Monday morning though.

TR - I did clock a 2:13 at the London triathlon last year, but the time doesn't mean too much as:

i) the distances were in the region of 1500, 40.8km, 9.5km rather than official Oly distance.
    ii) I only swam once in the year building up to it. We were then held in the water for half an hour as the bike route was cleared of traffic. Once finally underway, an elbow in the face before the start gave me a bloody nose which I subsequently stopped using some strange backstroke technique.
    iii) Some tw@t who was drafting me on the bike ploughed into me leg following an emergency stop when a numpty ahead took a wrong turn and stopped dead on a narrow section of the course. The bike and run took a lot longer than it should have as my calf seized up, giving me Dull-like cramps for the remainder of the race. the whole experience, plus the mass swim start really put me off triathlon, but as I say, I may try another in a few year's time.

My brief experience tells me that there's more to be gained in the run through cycling training than through having great 10km speed - it's more about being able to run at close to your 10km pace after the ride.
  • Options
    Blimey it's all changed on here...

Pug
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    MT, sorry, Gobi is right. As I remember (though it could have changed since then as it was a long while ago) it was a largely uninspiring course that took in large stretches away from the residential areas, so not much support. Having said that though I believe they made it easier by taking the uphill through the Phoenix Park part away from the latter part of the race (which was nasty)....

Still though, the craic will be mighty ;-)
  • Options
    Jools If you do run the Torshavn marathon next year, you are almost odds on for getting a prize as only two ladies ran it this year.

The good news is the prize is worth over £200, the bad news is that they are airline tickets that just take you back to the Faroe Islands.

JEJ Wont give up the booze to get to 6%, but have just been to John Lewis and bought myself some Tanita scales that measure your fat to around 20 decimal places, so I'll be able to bore the socks off you, over the coming months with my progess in getting down to somewhere around 10%.

FYI checked out past results for Torshavn, and it seems I took 16.08mins off the all time best for a V50 over the course.

So I'm the holder of the Faroe Islands all comers Marathon V50 record.

Fame at last.

Dull
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    One day out of the pool (Tues) and I've grown a propeller overnight! I just did 30ish mins at a much quicker pace than my usual swimble. Where’s that come from ? Perhaps I’ve become a Mermaid ?

My knee aches a bit on the impact area, not the ligament though.

Feeling more positive today.

Dull
    Record breaker !
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    So I think Dull is the only one holding a nation's allcomers record on the thread! Not actually sure if the Faroe Islands is an independent state or not, but never mind.

Hoping to do my first proper midweek 90 min run this evening, struggling to motivate myself though. Just need to picture Pug running me down in the last mile in Berlin! Did 4x1M within a 7M run yesterday - normally do this session on the track with clubmates but had to do it on my own and it is so much harder. Had a good round of golf in the evening though - 85 this time, not as good as last week but a much harder course. Sorry to ruin the thread with talk of non-athletic "sports".

Starting to regret entering the off-road marathon on Sunday, but should be interesting. Will certainly be the longest time I've ever run for (winning time usually around 3:30).
  • Options
    Felt better today and bagged 16m as a result.

TT - yeah I'm certainly aiming for sub-36 but I think Yateley may be a slightly tougher course than Dorney. We'll see...
  • Options
    By the way, Padams, you've got mail.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams,

Golf hasn’t enough sweating for me to class it as a sport. One of my friends was a scratch golfer at 16 yrs old – but he got interested in chasing fillies (he was bloody good at that too!) and gave up.

Don’t worry about Pug at Berlin. He’ll have given up by the last mile, cos he was 0.0001 of a second behind schedule after the first mile.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Decent 10 miles for me in 78 minutes just now. Squeezed it in to my 60 minute lunch break - now I need to find the shower!

Took it gently, but it got a bit harder towards the end, and I really need to bin these shoes. They've done 600 miles and I can feel the road through them on the balls of my feet.

New forum layout seems to be encouraging lots of posting today.
  • Options
    Don't knock the Faroes. They've got their own football team that play in the European championships.

They beat Austria some years back. Had a goalkeeper who wore a woolly bobble hat.

They also drew against Scotland even more recently. So if FIFA recognise them as a nation, then that will do for me.

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    wtf!
    I need my eyes testing
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    NM2 - I got your email a few days ago and have responded, although it may have not arrived (Cartman seems to be having similar problems emailing you). Do you mean this email, or have you sent another since (I haven't received it if you have!)
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dull ;-) Worth doing it just for that!

MtR - the most I've done in any trainers this year is 410, though one of the pairs I've currently got on the go probably have another 100 or so in them, which should see them past the 450 (as I get lighter they last longer).
  • Options
    Padams - my email system is obviously playing up, which is annoying. If it's easy to do, could you send to nmorgan@tommys.org instead. Otherwise don't worry, I'm sure it'll turn up soon.

Just added up - 1160 miles for the year so far for me.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    NM2 - I've tried the other email address, let me know if you don't receive anything!

Can't believe I've posted 270-odd times. If I'd guessed I would have gone for less than 100. Gobi seems to be doing pretty well. I wonder who's got the most over all the forums?
  • Options
    Cheers Padams, got it.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Not sure what's the most impressive. Gobi's high mileage, or high number of posts. I'm clearly not wasting as much time at work as I thought.

Padams - nothing wrong with golf; off for a couple of rounds this weekend around a wedding, before trip to Spain on Sunday. A mate of mine, who is a golfer and a not a runner, once said to me after the Marathon des Sables, "I know what that must have been like; sometimes climbing out of bunkers can be really difficult". There was no hint of irony either.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The Faroe islands are an autonomous region of the Kingdom of Denmark. They do not have an independent legal system, nor their own defence force (bar a coastguard - presumably by this wikipedia didn't mean Baywatch...). Not sure that makes them a country. But as I could probably claim to be only the fastest female marathon runner in my street (possibly my postcode? Definitely not my city, anyhow) I'm not one to nit-pick. Congratulations, Dull.

DanA - yeah, it's like people who say they hit "the Wall" during their Cancer Research 10K ("What, the wall at the side of the road?"). Sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle of explaining...
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    TT, well not quite cork, its youghal, close though... and it is sunny, I've got a tan* from my bike rides to prove it..

NM2, sent you an email to that other address..

Well done Dull !

*freckled arms are red..
  • Options
    Hey CM shouldn't you be...oh hang on you already have ;o)

Hope you're having fun.

21miles with a mate. Not doing that again it turned into a race and I was fckd from last night. Got IT bands like piano wire.

Dull I have always said you were a legend. Now it's official. But unfortunately this is the sub3 thread and not the national all comers thread. Now FFS will you get the job done - something tells me you're enjoying this prolonging of the inevitable ;o)

As you were.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    CM - I'm jealous. Youghal is lovely. Git ;-)

Club night for me tonight. Same session as a few weeks ago, 20 x 400m off 35s recoveries. I knocked them out as follows (not in this order, there was a pretty even spread):
    5x79s
    9x80s
    5x81s
    and the last one in 77s.

I was just off the back of the first 3 guys around whose 10k times are in the 34 min range this year, so quite chuffed with that :-)