Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

That's the last 20+ miler done for me.  Just 16 next weekend.  The matchbox is full, the cake is baked with just a bit of icing to go.

Looks like CW, selbs and ticktock are in the same boat.  Keep a careful eye on those toasters!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Selbs - I had best find out my singlet then.

Jools - 2:52 woukd do nicely, if we see you on the road you can sit next to ode and selbs. I'll collect you a drink on the way round just dont refuse it like nell did.
  • Options

My long run today puts all of you to shame. Not. 6.25 miles. But my leg didn't hurt, and that's as much as I can hope for right now. As a bonus the sun was shining and I ran with a friend who is also crocked. And we got a goody bag at the end of it. My third slowest 10k of all time I do believe. We started way too far back even for a slow and steady mimble, and spent the entire 6 and a bit miles trying to get around slower runners who had started too far forwards. Doesn't matter though, it was a run and it didn't cause pain.

• Options
    Last long run for me today 20 miles in 2:32. Ran by feel as it goes with glances at watch every 5 miles. Felt great and was a nice way to sign off this campaign. No excuses now. Cotton wool time. Will have a proper read back after I've been to the park with all my nieces and nephews.. I just want to lie on the couch and watch footie really,
  • Options

I'm with CW on the running with a watch, ie if I haven't got one I overcook it.  To be fair I overcook it with a watch!

Did 16 miles yesterday which was supposed to be marathon pace, but was a disappointing 6:46 a mile.  Knee held up OK though is swelling up a bit which is a bit concerning.

I have 2 long runs left and 2 MLR runs.

• Options

Last long run for me today also. 20.7M in 2:31:59 (20M split was 2:26:40). Nice bit of progression too, first 10M at 7:32 pace and last 10.7M at 7:08 pace, and that did not feel at all difficult. Feet up now and time for a mammoth read back!

For the record, one LR and two MLRs left for me, plus a 10K race next weekend.

CC2, good to see you back out there.

CW - nice MLR and follow-up 16 on Friday in a high-mileage week. Oh, and another training marathon today, who'd have guessed image. Glad to see you're taking a day or two off after that tough week.

Jools, great racing and congratulations on the 10M PB.

TR, fantastic MP run Friday and today's 22 with MP show you're in good shape.  Well done on the 100 consecutive days as well, calling it consistency barely does it justice!

SJ, great progressive 10,

Padams, sounds like you're on the mend, excellent news.

Selbs, good MP run there and I hope the "other" training you referred to has gone well this weekend! Great 23 today as well

JAP, superb racing and congratulations on the V40 prize.

TT, nice mile reps earlier and great 22 today as well. Decent weekly mileage too.

Banksy, well parkran. I think there is some value in fast runs to sharpen but not sure if pushing yourself hard for sub-18 would have had much incremental benefit so I'd say you made the right choice.

DanA, top-notch 24-miler (ishimage).

Lev, superb quality session there. Get yourself wrapped in cotton wool!

Right, Easter Sunday dinner beckons, reckon I deserve it!

• Options
    CC2 - 6.25 pain free. Excellent news image
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Lots of nice last long runs.  I did a 22 ave 6:20 but with some closer to 6:00.  Felt strong ave HR 80% of max, apparently.  Saw TR although I was not wearing glasses so hence the double take!  

Not got much time at the moment.  Son 2 born last week.  Try to keep training.  Hopefully see you in the Red Lion before catching a train to Plymouth.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone!

Well, my attempts at trying to follow this thread more closely has gone a bit tits up it seems (sorry....) Sadly possibly a bit like my running at present (more of that later)

Some cracking long runs posted - very much looking forward to seeing how some of you getting on in 3 weeks time!

I'm posting on my phone here so can't do bold font, but from memory some cracking LSRs from ES, CW (legend fella), selbs, Tick Tock, TR, joolska, CD, SJ, Dan (I agree with whoever said race VLM, cos I reckon you can PB again), KD and Toro. Will be very interesting to see how Lev gets on too.

Nice to see CC2 back to it too ????

Apologies for others I've missed.

Re me - think I've possibly overcooked it. I just feel totally shattered of late, and have picked up a bit of a bug/cold which is very unusual for me really. I've been in good nick but the last 2 weeks has seen the pace/effort/HR drop a fair bit. Things just don't feel right really, if you know what I mean? Maybe cumulative fatigue or something? Dunno! Anyway, will see how last 3 weeks go. I HAD got myself in about 2'45 shape, but I don't think I've got a prayer of that at the mo.

Anyway, thinking I might have a few beers and an Indian later, to see if the Vitamin X plan rejuvinates me a bit!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Blimey that sounds a bit pessimistic doesn't it? Only running innit!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work from sj and es

Toro - blimey I thought that you were going fast. Congrtaulations to you and your family too.

KD -16 at mp in training has to be impossible?

LS21 -hope the beer and indian works. Didnt do me any harm last night.
  • Options

Beer and curry sounds like an awesome plan LS21, might even give it a go myself sometime soon. But swap beer for wine. I hate beer.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

selbs -- Nice run! I usually need to schedule a pit stop, but come race weekend I stop eating fruit & veg and have an Imodium beforehand just in case. Never had a problem! And nah... I managed today's session at 6:04/M MP or something but it would have been a stretch to take it under 6, and would have been in my previous MP trial, it really is that borderline.

TR -- nice structured session from you. Encouraging to be able to throw in that last fast mile too.

CC2 -- great to hear your leg wasn't hurty.

Toro -- that's a swift 20. And hey, congratulations!

Well done to all the other long-runnees (Jools, TickTock, ...).

LS21 -- Google "overtraining" and see if it sounds like you. Mind you, anyone can get ill -- plenty of time to get well again though.

Just done a Thames cruise in London and parked near the end of the Embankment, having started at Tower Bridge... all very evocative. Legs are OK but I'm HUNGRY! Have succumbed to some Easter choc before supper.

• Options

Did a "Tortured" 23.59 miles on tired legs t his morning in 3:01, managed 21.18 in 2:11 last week but that was at the Cranleigh 15/21 in a race type scenario.

This week was 94.01 miles possibly my highest mileage week ever, I'm not sure if my body / physiology is the type that could tolerate much more than 90 miles per week, next week maybe aim for 74 or something like that.

Havent enjoyed this campaign by a long shot & threw a massive tantrum / spanner in the works, but now feel a bit better & have chilled out a bit, running a PB is not the be all & end all & am determined now to have a good day & *SHOCK HORROR* even try and enjoy myself, might try and wave at a few people in the crowd, or even smile at some point, madness.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Thanks for congratulations.  Theodore and mum doing well. 

CW - are you targeting Sub 2:40 (6:06) off champ start?  I'll be in a white vest with Royal Navy on it if you want to give me a prod.  1253.  I want to try to be conservative again as it work well enough in Berlin.

TR/KD - whilst I question the principle, Horwill had athletes doing 9 inc to 18 @ M pace and i'm sure Charlie Spedding et al did some crazy sessions.  

On Al_P's recommend i'm reading Bill Rodgers (Will Rogers?) book "Marathoning".  Very interesting with good snippets and advice.

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Some top long runs in the bag from everyone!

Managed a 20miler in 2:27  .... 4 x 5 miles in 7:50/6:50 (MP) / 7:40 and 7:00 (MP+10) was pretty happy with this session..... probably the first time I've felt relatively strong over a 20 miler and a big week (for me) at 61 miles....

Think the the odds of a sub 3 VLM may be tipping slightly in my favour image

Does anyone have experience of a bit of a block of ppl collecting around the 3 hour pacer at London? Want to avoid this if possible.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Toro -you sound fit. You certainly looked it given how fast you were going so far from home. I was clse to home when I saw you.

Cw -selbs probably has a point, you shouldnt be able to run a marathon about 15mins slower than race day 3 weeks out. So you either ran too fast today or should aim higher 3 weeks I guess.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Wow, lots of impressively quick long runs today. Looking forward to watching everyone convert them into race times they are (hopefully) happy with. Great work. 

• Options

Banksy, I certainly found it congested round 3 hour pace last year, but everyone said it was just generally more congested no matter what pace. 

• Options

Toro going great guns well done!!

CC2 a run pain free is no small step on the way to recovery great news!

Good session in the long run Banksy

ES lovely progression.

Did 10 this evening in lovely weather and a few in the middle there at what felt something around MP effort but can't be sure at this point. Felt decent anyway. 

Hope everyone has rewarded themselves post long/session with some well deserved easter sunday chocolate!

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

haven't posted for a few weeks now - I've speed read through most of the posts I've missed but can't face even beginning to comment on everything, so hope you'll forgive a self-centred update.

Good to see most of you are topping off your campaigns nicely and are all set to enter tapering mode.

So last you heard from me a was trying to fight off a cold...

well I just about managed to fend it off, running gently through it and consuming every remedy known to man!

Then it was off for a skiing holiday where I managed to continue my streak of running every day of the year by traipsing gingerly through the snowy streets. Not many miles but hope the high altitude and mixture of skiing and snowboarding will have counted for something.

Managed my first long run in 3 weeks - 20 miles @8 m/m in 2.40. In my defence it was around hilly Devon lanes with 2000ft of elevation.

I'm feeling like I've not been treading water during the most crucial training weeks and need to try and make up for it when I should be thinking about tapering. I think I should follow CW's lead and focus on speed/quality rather than trying to make up on miles.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Thanks TR.  Yes I ran a 17:02 PB at Parkrun and 9:55 3000m on Wed with more to come so i'm not in bad shape.  It's just very strange, not sure if others have felt it, as you train more and more in the 6's say good bye to the 7's and then the 5's start becoming the norm.  Going through a Half 5k split in a 5k PB time is strange too.  

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Lev_ - something that just occurred to me is that the XT could be aggravating your peroneal issues as my left one is a bit tight after so much time on it this week. Something to consider maybe?

• Options

TR - re 16m at MP - so it would seem, heehee.  Usually do it, last years was at 6:35 pace.

LS21 - Touch of overtraining? 

CC2 - Great news.

Steve6 - Sounds like a plan, some mileage tho

Toro - I base my schedule on the one on the serpentine AC website.  You seem in great shape.

Turbo trainer yesterday and today and skiing yesterday.  Knee still a bit swollen but feels no worse than it has been after a long run recently.

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Lots of great long runs being done and glad the wind from recent weeks has calmed a bit.

Cracking run Toro  

Steve6 - tough long run. It's funny once you get past the 20m point how much extra effort it requires and can take out of you.  I was at Cranleigh, supposed to do 21 but at 15m point turned for finish. Back was giving me trouble and had no desire for another loop.

Since learning of of my hernia training has been somewhat disjointed and slower. Got out for 1st 20m in 3 weeks yesterday @7.05 pace knowing my legs lacked the long miles, feel ok apart from sore back. Reckon I should be able to keep Dan and PP company now and try and enjoy the run. Weather looking nice now so should be a heatwave on 26th. ;o)

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

LukeStur - Sorry to hear things haven't quite gone to plan lately. If I remember correctly things were going really well before that though so I'm sure you're still in pretty good shape and just need to get the confidence back!

CharlieW - Yeah I am aiming for around 2:40, just not sure which side of it yet. Another marathon in training! And averaging out at 2:55 too, most impressive!

Selbs - Nice progressive long run! Quite an interesting training programme you're throwing together image Going by other folks comments, you seem to have a history of pulling it out the bag at the last minute. Best of luck!

TickTock, TR, Joolska, CheerfulDave, SJ, Keith, ES, Toro, Steve6, Banksy, JH1 and anyone else I've missed, nice long running!

First week of tapering for me last week, started badly when I woke on Monday to a sore hip after the 23 miler on Sunday. Didn't train Monday and just a turbo session Tuesday. Managed some easy running Wednesday pain free so decided it was clear to get back on track. Had originally planned to try PP's 10 mile MP/threshold session but thought that was a bit too risky so just ended up going out for a 10 mile progression run that ended up averaging 6:04's, just faster than target MP. Quite a cycle heavy weekend as was still cautious of hip but managed a nice 16 mile run yesterday (6:34's, 138 ave HR) to finish the week. 47 miles running, 80 miles cycling.

I see there are quite a few cyclists on this thread. I was hoping to start getting a little more competitive in my cycling this summer so have invested in a decent new set of wheels for my bike. I went online yesterday to buy tyres and it's a freaking minefield! So many different models/types! Can anyone on here give advice on a decent set/brand of tyres for fast training/racing wheels that are puncture resistant and modestly priced? I would give a budget but I feel I may embarrass myself so leaving it open to others to let me know what modest is in the cycling fraternity image

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CC2 - sounds encouraging.  Maybe worth not binning that VLM number, and just running for a bit of fun on the day at a nice easy pace, soaking up the atmos???

Jools - could be a good race between you and TR this year if you go head to head around the 2h50 mark; impressive high mileage diet there.

Great long runs going on.  Lots of folks round here running in their charity vests, clutching their lucozade sports like they're going out of fashion.

Selbs/LS21 - must admit it is tempting to go for another greedy PB at VLM as I'm in as good, if not better, shape than three weeks ago where, despite the PB, I think I was in 2.41-2.42 shape.  However, I'm reminded of back in 2010 where I followed up a 2.45 at Barca with an inexplicably pitiful 3.18 at FLM five weeks later.
    Have sort of mentally committed to the no-pressure daft fancy dress option, plus I won't really be tapering as I've got my eye on the North Downs 50 in mid-May which I fancy having a good go at.  Although in between the two I've got 5 days of golfing in Spain with the lads, which can put a real dent in the best laid fitness plans.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jh1 - I can offer you a seat on the TROde diesel chugger.

2hrs of hilly bike today, legs felt pretty good despites ydays 22m. Hammys are still tight, think its the biking.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Alan - what wheels did yiu get? I use vittoria corsa around ??20 each max. They are tough enougb to turbo on too so never have to chnage them. Something like gp4000 would be your answer if yoh asked folks in the know.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dan - if jools runs another 2:52 she'll beat both of us. I dont intend upon running faster than mid 6:30s.