Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Ah the fabled Haddad pace plan.  Drop a sub 4 minute mile to drop the 36000 chasers who will lose interest in following a superior athlete, abuse some spectators then jog into the finish posting a time slower than any watch-less training runs. image 

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

Morning all - it's seems to be getting a bit quiet round here as far as training goes - everyone must be going into taper hibernation.

Ran a sneaky parkrun this morning. New course best in 17:18 despite having to open a couple of gates and negotiate a cow with her 2 calves trapped across the path!

More importantly, finally got my first park run victory after several 2nd places!

Planning a very steady 16/17 miler tomorrow.

• Options

sorry not sure how my prev post got reposted! nice parkrun victory luke

9 miler with 8x800m off 200m yesterday all between 2.21-2.26 paces around cricket pitch, 9 miles in 6.02mm, easy 5 today before HM tomorrow

is it time to put up peoples a) and b) hopes for VLM????? partly for the pure excitement of it and partly so similar times can start planning their thread running trains

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    18m inc a couple of mp sections. Got cold in the wind aand rain and had tight hammys by the end so sacked off any thouvgts of maoing it 20.

Groundforce day at the cricket club now.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

nice effort TR.  i have sacked it off completely today, bit of a cold and bit sore. will try for 18-20 tomorrow with a bit of MP as well.  like u i think i will total around 6 long runs for this marathon, hope its enough!

nice park run win there LukeS and speedy reps DrD.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Congrats Luke, you must surely be the first man to win a Park Run with calf problems. I hope you didn't milk the victory too much.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

You and your cheesy puns... and you're right on the weather, it's Fresian out there.

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

Wardi - very amoosing - it was an udder shambles - they were trying to stop the race before someone got herdimage

CW - I bet you were thinking about that one for heifer!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hoping I can get myself herd over all those puns...

Well done on the win, LS.

Bit breezy at Sutton Park but that didn't prevent a 5.57 mile pb, mainly because I've never raced the distance before. Garmin actually reckoned 5.48 @ 6.15m/m but if the course certificate was right, 6.11s. Felt a bit sluggish for the first 3 miles but picked up pace nicely towards the end.
  • Options

Time for one more cow pun beef-ore everyone loses interest?

Well won LS and well PB'd Jools.

Good long run TR. I also ran a long 'un today because I'm racing a 10K tomorrow. 17M early doors which meant I also got soaked. It's roasting here now though! So that's the last long run of the campaign. One more 13M next Sunday but everything else is in single figures until the big day.

Lots of talk on the number of long runs. I followed P&D 55-70 plan so only 4 runs of 20 miles or more, plus 4 x 18 milers. Really hope that's enough!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    ES / selbs -I have 3x18s as well as the 20s. Most of my long runs inc 18s have been done on tired legs which is how p and d tend to do it so im not worried. I used to out too much emphasis on long runs and how fast I did them. We'll all be doing 18m long runs in future campaigns when the fashions change.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Team TR is in action at Paris tomorrow, which is exciting.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Cracking reps Dr. Dave and great pace & PB from Jools.  Nice last LR on the board ES, pity about the wetting.  However I still think Luke has the right to be the most bullish about his performance, particularly as it seems he ran it on the hoof.

• Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem taper madness has fully kicked in for anyone yet but I am sure it will do soon!

I had the stress of starting a new job this week plus my builders telling me they need to dismantle my cooker next week so they can knock down more of the house. So it looks for VLM  I will be carbo loading on microwave porridge and bread. Hungover parkrun today and 16 planned for tomorrow.

TR - are you confident your man is going to do well in Paris? 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick tock -not too many take aways then ! He should be fitter than before, so as long as he controls the process and believes in himslef he should smash it!
  • Options

I was also at Sutton Park today, making up numbers on our B team. I managed last year's marathon pace for my 5k leg. Said hello to Philpub who clearly had no clue who I was. It must be because I'm currently disguised as a lumbering chunky monkey.

Is Paris going to be on the telly box?

• Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

CC2 - yep it is on TV but on Eurosport at 7:30am

• Options
    Really not sure what to do tomorrow. Originally intended tapering to 16 mile, with a little MP in there, but feeling quite fresh after low mileage week, so might go longer. Hmm.
  • Options

I'm sticking to 16 today CL, unlikely to be any MP.  Keep your powder dry!

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

1 week to go! image

On the shoe chat, I was planning to stick to the Kinvara's I've been running in for the last few years. Couldn't get a pair of Kinvara 4's so bought the 5's and they turned out to be completely different (size and shape) to the last 2 models. Very annoying! Ended up trying a few different shoes but went for the Boston Boost 5's as they were sooo comfy! Done 3 medium long runs in them so far and think I've definitely made the right choice, nice and cushioned yet still light and responsive!

5 runs and only 37 miles this week. 7 x 1km reps @ 5k pace Tuesday, was meant to be 8 but legs were gone by the 5th. 4 mile tempo run Thursday, couldn't even hit HM pace yet heart rate was hitting 5km effort levels. The joys of tapering..

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    17M for me to end the first week of the taper. Legs a bit tired from yesterday and so weren't delighted that yet again conditions were pretty windy. Still, nothing over 13 until race day now image
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Congrats on the parkwin Luke! Well raced too Jools & CC2, it's great to grace the nationals.

Great reps DrD, hope whatever you did today worked out well.

Long runs in this campaign, which started just before Xmas after I recovered from a thigh problem: 14x20+M runs including 7x26+. Oops. Basically I did 20+ every weekend except when races intervened and extended it to the full distance quite often. My enduring mantra for the day, grunted through increasingly gritted teeth: I do not fear the distance.

TR (good long run there) -- ah, my anally retentive record-keeping comes to the fore today. I did a carbon copy of the same session I did 2 weeks out for the last two years, so I can compare. It was rather breezy today, which gives me an excuse to be a bit slower I guess, but even allowing for that I'm in much the same shape, not PB (2013) shape. These are all accurate paces, Garmin flattery removed, where "0.5M" is really 777m round my park loop (including 3 sharp corners), 0.5M off after each effort:
       2x0.5M @ 5:26/M [2014: 5:19/M 2013: 5:13/M]
       2x1.0M @ 5:40/M [2014: 5:36/M 2013: 5:36/M]
       2x2.0M @ 5:57/M [2014: 5:54/M 2013: 5:56/M]
       1x4.0M @ 6:04/M [2014: 5:57/M 2013: 6:02/M]
    then added about 10 items of clothing to do 5.5M heat stress @ 7:18/M. Grand total 21.2M @ 6:31/M. And positively the last long run before the day, honest guv! Feet again felt battered in the Hyperspeeds so modified Lunaracers will be the order of the day for VLM. Having done that last one I'm now switching to a mildly lower carb diet for a bit too, if only to avoid weight gain as the mileage drops off.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Great stuff CW/Jools - 17 for me too.  I had to have a couple of days off as my inside thigh was painful to run on.  Seems fine now.

Saw TR on his bike - people will start talking!

It's bloomin' loverly 'ere on the coast but glad you all thought it was breezy.  Started by overtaking all the dualthletes on the prom which confused the marshals as I was kitted out for dress rehearsal. My HR was a tad high and had to ease off to stay in zone.  

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Cw - amazing amount of long runs. makes my 3x18, 4x20 1x21 and 1x22 look measly. How do you know the effort levels of those runs is similat year on year do you measure HR ?.................none of it matters anyway, 2 weeks later start, later start time, we are all doomed to melt in the heat !

Toro - I was just about to turn off home at the end of my ride, I sa you so came back just to give you a wave.

41M bike, should think about tapering now. But my taper needs to cover two races, so needs to start a bit later.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

TR -- I did wear my HRM last year and this year, and yes the average numbers are almost the same now I check. I was basically doing it all full on, or at least guessing how hard I could go yet complete the session sensibly. And is your real big race the Swashbuckler on 10 May then?

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

For all you've been knocking your training, TR, we're similar on long runs, given our P&D style approaches: 2 x 17M, 2 x 18M, 3 x 20M, 2 x 21M and 1 x 22M for me.  2 of the 20s had some decent quality in them (1 was 10 @ MP and the other 13.1 @ a bit faster than MP).

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

another spicey long run CW, cotton wool out now!

nice fairly long ones bagged as well Joolska, CD, Toro and TR.  anything over 18 counts for me as long anyway!

CC2 at least you are back at it, fitness will return.

I perhaps should have listened to the wise advice of CD and TR and kept it a bit shorter this week, but with my lack of long runs wanted another 20 so that's what i stuck to.  The imodium didn't even do the trick this week so needed a pit stop around 10 miles, bit of a worry for race day, although the build up won't be like last night and involve a night out bed at midnight and too much to drink i guess.

wanted it over so a progressive 20 in 2:21 today, tad fast i think as my legs were very creaky.  like others, nothing longer than 12-13 left now, and maybe just 2 of those.  i need a confidence boosting run at some point in the next 2 weeks as the effort levels for speeds have been to high lately.  But i am blaming it on various reasons like wind, having a cold, bulging disc in my neck, etc. etc. all of which will disappear on a  beautiful still VLM marathon day -  right!!!

TR - congrats on your mentee beating their target as well, well done!

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

i've only managed 5 runs since start of Feb over 20 miles, 3 of those in last 3 consecutive weekends.  Also have another 3 b/w 16-19 in that time.  Compared to previous campaigns, it's actually pretty normal for me!  Only Abingdon back in 2010 where i have managed to do more consistently (and averaged over 60 miles a week for the 15 week build up then).  This time i have averaged 50 miles a week.  Funny that Abingdon was my PB aye!

• Options

Enjoyed my run this morning; 20:37 miles in 2:27, some decent miles around the park ( Did I spot PhilPub down there ? ), I have managed 6, 20+ milers this time inc 1 23.5, a 22.6, 2, 21's & other bits & pieces.

Right groin definitely not right, possibly related to left hip flexor, not thinking about a PB, but quite chilled out & planning to enjoy the day, quite enjoying my running at the moment which isn't always the case.

• Options
    Powder duly kept dry as per CD's wise advice. 16m @ 6:49, which still felt pretty tough in the windy sections e.g. down by West Ferry road - could do without that on the day.

So twelve 20m+ runs in the sixteen weeks to date, including a couple of 24s and one 'full wartnaby' (but missing Castle Hill, Parker's Piece and the multi-storey.)