Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Cheers CW. Yeah I did Buntingford last year, the start is tricky. Just wondering if anyone is going this year?

Cheers for the welcome LS21. You may be struggling with consitency but those mile reps suggest that when you're on you are definitely in good shape. Top work! Also glad to hear you managed to avoid the worst of the flooding!!

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Likewise excellent team gold PP. Your old bastard squad is mighty impressive. I've thought of a name for your XC vets squad  -  Dirty Old Kents.

image image

Very nice 5M win Padams.

A reasonably even pyramid session this evening, 11 miles total with 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400. The usual pattern of starting off a bit creaky and other people running like nutters on the shorter reps, then getting into my stride for the longer ones, feeling pretty good, and a little quicker on the way back down. 75, 2:35, 3:58, 5:18, 3:55, 2:32, 73.

Out tomorrow evening for festive shenanigans, so I'm planning a little sandwich session during the day, 40 mins row with 7 miles running around it.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Blimey PP, you 're going to try and eat sandwiches during a row/run combo! image  Nice pyramid session BTW.

Congrats on the win Padams.

LS21.. see you at York then, and continued good luck with the new shop.

11.5m for me tonight.  The heavy rain forecast only lasted 10 mins so a pleasant run followed by a club member kindly offering punch & mince pies image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - nice pyramid session. Enjoy the festivities. We also have a work team dinner today, will be trying to be restrained. But won't be doing any training today (although I was up very early so did some strengthening stuff before breakfast).

Wardi - nice mileage on a weekday.

By the time I'd run a few miles with the dog (didn't fall over this time!), then run a few miles to the club session as I had 20 mins to kill, I'd done 6M before we started. So just did 6x800 on a road loop off 1 min jog recovery (new sessions have short jog recoveries rather than long standing ones), all in 2:27/8 (might be marginally short of 800m). With the jogs and a bit of a cooldown I'd done 10.5M so thought that was enough.

• Options

Nice pyramid session, PP and nice repping, Padams.

10M to work for me this morning.  5 more working days...

• Options

JCT1 -- my memory is fallible but Electric Sheep might be doing Buntingford (I'm not). I remember describing it previously here, but maybe that was to you too!

Nice sessions PP & Padams.

A minimal 5.5M run in to work this morning but quite brisk and more of a tempo effort in the last mile (7m/M avg). But returning by bike to be in time for a school concert; probably same alternate bike/run pattern for the last two days this week, then I'm on holiday image

• Options

OK, I skipped the rowing bit. 7 miles will do for an easy day.

I'll finish off my Xmas shopping at some point. (2.5 presents bought so far.) But in the mean time I've treated myself to a new bike, and just found out it's being built on Friday so should be here early next week. Yay! I've got two very sporty road bikes which do the same job, so I'm trading one in for something more practical with bigger tyres, mudguards and fittings for panniers, because (a) I'm getting old, and (b) ambitious bike touring plans for the new year.  image

• Options

Ooh, new bike?  If Bosch did bikes....etc.  You get a lot for your money with Planet X, I've had a few of theirs over the years.  In fact if anyone fancies building up a PX titanium frame I've got one in the garage, having picked up a very nice new Ti frame for a bargain on ebay.

Day off running yesterday for office Xmas lunch, but an hour on the turbo in the evening.  Half mile intervals today, not as sharp as last week but hey ho.  Last day in the office this year today, coinciding with kids last day at school, so the next week will give a bit more varied opportunities for getting out there, including the fabled mid-week medium-long run!

• Options

Yeah, I'm trading in the PX Pro Carbon SL, which I've got seriously good use out of over 7/8 years, but hoping it's still worth a few hundred quid to someone. There's also a PX track bike sitting in a container at the track which I've not used for about two years, so that should probably go as well.

• Options

Heh, when I bought the PX Ti frame they were giving away a Pro Carbon frame & forks free with it.  Can't beat that for value, it's a very nice frame.  I've wondered whether the track frame would make a decent road fixie, if the fork will take a front brake, but I suspect it's a bit too twitchy for that and it looks like there'd be some serious toe overlap - fine on the track, not so handy on the roads!

• Options

JCT1, I am down to do Buntingford. You may have read in an earlier post that I tweaked my groin playing football last Saturday. I'm pretty hopeful it will have cleared up by the 28th though, so see you there hopefully. I've got my race number at home, I'll post it up so you can look out for me.

So it's been a quiet week for me so far resting my groin injury. Today I did 30 minutes on the elliptical pain free so that's progress I think, given that even walking was mildly painful a few days ago. I may try a short jog tomorrow or I may just hit the cross-trainer again and save the trial jog for the weekend.

So frustrating to be sidelined at this time of year though, I can feel the pounds piling on from various Christmas lunches and parties!

• Options

ES- Ah yes, now I remember. Great stuff. When I get home next week where my number is waiting for me I'll post it too. Good luck with recovery sounds like you are headed in the right direction. What sort of time will you be aiming for if you're back to full fitness?

PP- great pyramid session there
    Padams- good work too!

PP and CD - sounds like you have enough bike parts between you to start a shop!

Easy 7 on Monday for me as per P and D and then deviated from the schedule last night to do the club's session of 3x 12 mins with good intentions of keeping it tempo pace and nice and relaxed. Utter disaster to be honest. Just went with the pace and blew up totally and didn't finish session. Must stick to P and D to the letter from now on. Should have listened to those that told me that earlier on here. Definitely had some residual fatigue from race/long run weekend. Oh well better to learn that now than in 12 weeks time I guess!

13 miles easy tonight for me.

• Options

ES - Tough luck. Hopefully you've got enough mojo to cancel out a few mince pies on the elliptical, but I understand your festive season related concerns! I'll be happy to just maintain weight between now and the new year.

CD - I've heard of people swapping out the PX track's non-drilled fork for road use, but considering my only "crash" on the track involved toe-overlap at an embarrassingly low speed, I wouldn't fancy it myself!  image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

JCT - the P&D schedules are fairly tough so if you try to push the pace more than planned it is possible that you'lll struggle (as you found out!). Some nice training though.

PP - I've still got my old PX TT bike in the garage. Was trying to sell it but it's fairly old and the size reduces the pool of possible buyers. Very good value bikes though.

I was fairly restrained at the Xmas lunch yesterday - home by 10pm having had some drinks but not too many. Managed 5M into work this morning (as I'd left the car there) feeling OK.

• Options
    Hello all - just a quick update. I've decided that the course and conditions were going to be too frustrating at Newark on Sat so have managed to get a trip to Pisa sorted for Sunday instead. Very exciting indeed ????
  • Options

Jools – you can only beat who turns up! Congrats on the title.

Good run that Padams.  You seem to be racing a lot at the moment!

CW – you seem in a good place for starting VMLM training.  Look forward to seeing how it goes.  Any XC after a Xmas party is impressive commitment.

Good work JCT.  week 1 already?!  (session prob wouldn’t have been a disaster with better pacing… no need to keep to P&D to the letter!)

Hope all is good with LS21 – looks pretty scary up in cumbria.  Good return to training though – sub 5:30 miles is decent going for that session.

PP – I am always impressed by your pacing.  Top pyramid session.  Nice bike too… very practical!

RS – really pleased to see your change of heart.  I think that is a good decision – hopefully you will reap what you sow with that build up!

I didn’t manage any restraint at my work’s do.  Despite saying I was going to leave early, I left after a 13 hour bender at 5am.  Possibly connected to that, I have then had three days of missed training with sickness (and baby’s illness) since.

Wasn’t feeling too bad yesterday, so did an hour on the turbo.  Didn’t feel too bad and the HR was where I would expect, so not too concerned at the missed days.  Still, I think a run will tell me more.

Next race is 9th Jan (Derbyshire County Champs) which was one of my three winter “A” races which I set in the summer when I was stuck doing hours of cross training (along with last week’s cross country and the Cardiff Half Marathon in March).

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ryan - love the notion of being able to change a race in Lincolnshire for Pisa at the last minute!

• Options

bainspj -- sterling endurance on the party front, sorry about feeling ill afterwards though.

PP -- probably too late, but if you're getting an old fart's touring bike, I'm totally appreciating the fancy hub dynamo and German lights on mine; mainly for commuting, but I did an early training ride in the dark once. At the maker's suggestion I do have a non-dynamo wheel to swap in, but have never done so. I don't know how much drag it's adding, but it's not like I'm racing, and it's wonderful at this time of year to be automatically going round in an indefinite blaze of light requiring no charging or hassling with lights.

Biked in, will run home (probably time for some plyometric antics), run in tomorrow and bike home to celebrate the "end of term".

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

bains - 15 hours is impressive! Yes, I've had a lot of races recently, but none of them were A races (or even B races really). I'd like to have a good run at the County XC in 10 January, so will target that over the next few weeks.

RyanS - sounds like a much nicer place to run, and should be quicker too. Good luck!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pp -nice one on the new bike. Bike touring rather than a marathon next summer then?

Bainsy -quality boozing !

Dont start the vlm work too early ! Vlm is late april again.
  • Options

Ryan - Nice one!  

bainsy - Nutter!

CW - I don't see me having a huge ongoing need for lights, but interestingly I was looking at dynamo hubs as a practical source of on-tour power for phone, GPS, etc. I fear I've got a good deal of equipment geekery research to do before I'm kitted out properly! (I've acquired some nearly new Ortlieb panniers at a bargain price, but that's about it so far.)

TR - Yes, at present I'm not planning to race any marathons next year. The pipe-dream still isn't definite but the plan is now to spend three weeks around Autumn/September getting from my brother's place in Vancouver to San Francisco, via Seattle (train), Portland (train), and the Oregon/California Pacific Coast Highway (~800 miles on the bike). Easy enough to work out a provisional itinerary with the help of Google Maps, but a hell of a lot of logistics to sort out, not to mention cost, before it actually happens!

A relatively light session this lunchtime in anticipation of this Saturday's XC, the longest so far (South of the Thames champs, 7.5M). 6.6M incl. 3 x ~2k (2 mins recovery) around the flat bit of Greenwich Park, paces 5:43, 5:36, 5:33/m. Comfortable enough, and I guess the faster reps felt something like HM pace, so not bad.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pp - sounds great. Much better than marathon training.
  • Options

Bains - That is some show even by some of my student life standards!! And yeah week one because I am doing manchester not VLM so its 10th april which is now 17 weeks away. Doing P and D 18 week plan. 

PP - sounds like a good controlled session there good effort!

RS- Fantastic little change of heart. Got my fingers crossed for you it pays off. 

Steady 10 miles tonight slightly progressive. Hoping my body is coming back to life after feeling like death start of this week. Seems to always happen during exam time, just got to get on with it and stop being a bit wet I think

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I needed to do some local Xmas card deliveries last night, and having run in the morning I just planned to do about 7-8M which I thought was possible given where the people lived. However, by the time I'd done a couple of miles with the dog first, and apparently picked a very sub-optimal route(plus just underestimated how far it was to one of the drop-offs), I'd done 11.5M. 16.5M for the day is the most I've done since September I think.

Probably won't do anything today though as it's (another) work party tonight. I'm not really in the mood for it to be honest, just fancy a quiet night at home!

• Options

A few more delivery rounds like that Padams and you'll be catching up with Marigold.

**Stop press** I've been confirmed for RW sub-3 pacing for London, and they've given me the Blue start this year.  Hurrah!  So this will hopefully be useful to a few on here, even if they haven't made themselves known yet.  I'd better do some training. image

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Going to miss the long run again today as the kids are finishing school early. Might manage something around 20km. All this Christmas food and drink is causing trouble with my guts so I'm a bit concerned that I might need an emergency stop in Windsor Great park. Unfortunately the coverage at this time of year isn't great. Would be a pleasant surprise for the tourists on the Long Walk.

Will try to squeeze in what I can over the next 2 weeks but I think a bit of rest might do me some good.

PP - Good to hear you got the timing job. You could probably run 3hrs backwards anyway.

Sounds like you've got too many friends Padams, no such problems with scrooge here.

• Options

RS - not short notice change of plan! Good luck for it!

Good to hear that all is ok LS21.

Congrats on the county title Jools!

And likewise on the 5m victory Padams.

Nice plan for next summer PP!

Not much to report here. I've managed to do a little bit most days, but the emphasis is on 'little'. Longest run this week has been 6 miles which probably gives a good indication of where my fitness will be.
    On the plus side the house is coming on - plasterer starts on Monday, carpets fitted throughout at the start of January, but still masses of work to do in between image

In case I'm not on for the next while, have a good Christmas folks!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best to ryan

Low miles here again too, but I dod have a 12 on sunday to give me 34 for the week. I should get some double digit runs in by the new year.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes.

Made it here ok but minus the club vest which a bit of a shame.

Conditions look perfect tomorrow - 8/9 degrees with little wind and some mist that will lift at some point and give way to sun. I've looked at the Tower, stuffed myself full of carbs and am ready to go!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope you have a cracker Ryan, all the best.