Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - today would be the last 20+ anywat, but im sure youll squeeze a few more 20s in yet.

5m inc strides, hammy still a bit tight 

The Manchester tracker isnt working !
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    It's a mess at the moment TR, the live coverage isn't working either.  By contrast Mrs Wardi said the tracking in Barca was brilliant and instantaneous!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Wardi - might depend on how many people are trying to track runners though, theres 20,000 running manchester? How many run Barca?

18th birthday in our house today.
  • Options
    2:55:23 buzzin' !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Nice one SJ, fantastic.  Very well done, that's a good chunk of time off your Abingdon time.  Look forward to reading all about it.
  • Options
    Fantastic result sj - well done!

All adults now then TR? Big celebrations planned? I usually do my last long run on the Thursday.

Back to having no pace today despite the new shoes:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Really chuffed for you SJ, celebrate well!  Looks like WTGY had a decent run too.
    TR.. usually around 15,000 at Barca so similar.  I think the organisers have to pay their webservers enough to cover the traffic they're expecting.  Happy birthday to your young'un, old enough to sup beer now too. :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SJ, im chuffed for you. Your best campaign paid off.

LMH - 18 to 20 Thursday? He has loads of nights out planned, and is off college. Cant see me getting a lot of sleep this week as the SPO will be worried til he gets home. Big night planned for saturday, i timed the Brighton entry wrongly, he'll be coming home when im getting up.

Wardi - yes, they probably expect a certain amout of tracking traffic and recieved a load more.

Looks to me that the Manchester 3 were all roughly where they should be, though WTG will be frustrated that he couldnt have found another minute. Good come back for a fat lad though. Stevie did very well off a short build up due to those calf issues, all 3 should be proud of themselves.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR. 2.53.17 for me, so a 2.40 PB! Great to see SJ at the start and run with him for a bit. Left absolutely everything on the course, had to really dig in the last 5k. Good to see Joe on course as well!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done SJ SW. Great results.
    A just reward for an excellent campaign SJ.
    Knew you had plenty to knock off SW after Abo - sure you'd have been troubling the 2:50 barrier with a more consistent build-up so good target for the next one.
    Look forward to the reports.
  • Options

Always good when the spring marathons are properly underway.  Well done SJ & SW, nice to see the hard work pay off.

Last proper long one for me this morning, 22 hilly miles, mostly off-road, nice and easy.  16 or so next weekend and 10 the weekend before VLM is my usual plan.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Been an exciting day - Well Done SJ & SW - It looks like the course gave a good return today as the guys I know round here all had good runs - although i think it might have been a tad warmer than some expected. Look forward to reports as its a race that I have not done despite being flattish and localish.

12 on tready with a block at MP or faster. Toes ok, but had to stop and take my shoe off halfway through and the ball of my foot was red red hot. Hoping after weds can get back to winflos or Pegasus

TR - another milstone logged. Happy sons bday.
    LMH - taper time will sort it.
    CD - sounds like a pleasant outing.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've already said well done to Stevie on the 3.15 thread, but it deserves repetition.  Awesome result!

And absolutely delighted to see SJ rolling back the years and knocking out a great marathon time.  Enjoy celebrating!

Very little running for me of late as I had calf/tendon issues which only resolved through rest.  No idea when I'll next try to run a marathon as my current 'long' run is 7 miles.  I will now surface a bit more, but was licking my wounds for the last 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated as always.

2:55:23 chip time as previously mentioned. Splits - 87:26/87:57. First marathon where every mile was 6:xx. Felt strong throughout despite a lapse in concentration/felt a bit queasy? around 14 miles, dunno what happened just felt a bit out of sorts. It passed soon enough.

Cruising along ticking the miles off at 6:3x. Stevie crept alongside me at 10 miles? As I told him afterwards, he's making it look ridiculously easy, chatting away out for a jog!

I sarted to feel it a bit around 18-19 miles and a little paranoia kicked in. Got the quiet part of the course out of the way and began passing people. Almost came a cropper dodging a cone as I asked a fellow runner of they wanted any of my water, basically changed out of my rythm. Felt a twinge in calf at that point but got away with it.

Got onto final stretch which is a brilliantly supported last couple of miles and for the first marathon ever I had the legs, I had the power to keep pace which had dropped to 6:4x bit no slower. Was glancing at my watch but felt I had this now.

Managed to maintain everything and felt strong but obviously very tired over the line where I fell into one of the guys there as my right hamstring finally complained and spasmed. Got moving again and met up with Stevie again who had left it all out there in last two miles.

A brilliant local race which grew 50% this year to 20k runners. However this just made the support even better. Perfect conditions for second year in a row.

Quads absolutely smashed now.

Great to see Joe out on course. First spotted him shouting DBS and then called out to him towards the end. I see Marigold ran it as a training run too.

Oh and wtgy is looking great and won't be long before he's back to his best. Nice to meet up again after almost a decade.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great day out sj - lovely splits.

Well done Stevie.

Sorry to to hear that you've had more issues Joolska.

I hope you're right Mennania - no idea why my pace is so bad this year compared to the last couple.

TR - I usually do a last 20 on the Thursday this week, not sure if I will this time round. Making it up as I go along as usual.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Stevie Wh - excellent run after the calf issues. You cant have done many long runs or much mileage. I think you did quite a bit of quality though.

SJ - very strong pacing, and well executed campaign. Youve made big gains in the last 18 months.

Jools - i hope you get a better run of running luck now. I feel for you, i had a few years like that and didnt run a mara for 3.5 years.

LMH - you can still do a 20 next weekend, ive done it a few times.  But its probably not so wise as we get older. Having said that charlie will do a full mara 2 weeks out.(and aongish run 1 week out).
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Manchester three.  Getting out of it what you deserved more or less.  Shame the tracker and live feed didn't work.

Turned up at our parkrun y'day and there was a guy (Adam Clarke) who was going for Marders' course record of 14.58, which he set in 2011, the week before his marathon PB of 2.16.  Wished him good luck, but said it was a tough record since it's not the quickest course, and there was a bit of wind.  "Don't worry, I'll be alright" was his response.  He ran 14.31!!  Extraordinary how far ahead he was at halfway before he was lost to the sight of everyone.
  • Options
    Is it April already?!?

Popping in primarily to congratulate SJ on a great run at Manchester. I did try the live tracker, but it wasn't working so I went for a run instead :) Congrats to Stevie and WGTY as well.

I haven't read back much, but did see Padams post about mini-P: I hope all is well now.

So I haven't been reading or posting much, but at least I've been running. I think I've put together a decent campaign for London. Today was the last 20+ long run (21M), so I was determined to make it count. I figured if I could run under 2:30 for the 21, that'd be a good effort. The plan was to run the first 11M comfortably and then jack it up for the final 10. A quick mental calculation at 11M told me that last 10 would have to all begin with a 6:, and they duly did (except a couple of uphill miles). Around 68min for those last 10, just under 2:29 for the whole thing, and I never felt out of control. So I reckon I'm in as decent shape as I've ever been. Looking forward to seeing a few of you at the Red Lion.
  • Options
    It certainly sounds as though you're in good shape ES!

Thursday is as close as I'd go TR.

That is a different league Dan.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj - awesome! I'm delighted to see your training pay off!

SWh - congrats on the pb.

Dan - totally agree that my body seems to suffer more than most, but at least I know why now! 14:31 is proper shifting!

TR - fingers crossed for your Dad.

Padams - scary times. Glad jr is ok.

I still went to Manchester, but my other half and I took it as a long overdue bit of quiet time and stayed away from race stuff all weekend, bar a quick stroll down to the finish Sunday afternoon where we bumped into JoeB of all people. Cheers for all the comments on my situation. It's just a relief to finally know what has been causing all the issues. A total weight off my mind.
  • Options
    Good morning folks. Thanks for the kind comments already!
    great runs and times SJ / Stevie
    i think I used to do quite epic race reports, and I was thinking about this thread whilst I was doing the marathon, and that nothing was happening and it was quite boring in the race. Perhaps that was my own doing, I made the decision on Saturday to go with earphones. In my last road marathon I ran 2.43 with them in and totally zoned out. I felt selfish at the time, but I get carried away with the crowd, and thought I'm here to do a job. I maintain that that run in 2012 at London, and , my first sub 3 (Shakespeare 2008) are the only ones that I've achieved very very close to what i wanted. Rather ironic enough that the marathons between those times I was in far better shape! 

So, big life changing events in this marathon campaign. Couple of injuries.still carrying 'a bit'  :#
    but in a good place and frame of mind. I'd have snapped anyone's hand off given the chance to shoot for 3 hours if I was offered it last autumn. 

Blagged my way into the front pen, met Jason again who was very relaxed, and chatted with clubmates, hanging back in the pen. 
    Off we went, seeed quite pedestrian initially watch saying 7 something but focussed on ,y breathing and got into a rhythm. Didn't want to fall behind the 6:52s, so was pleased to see 6:45. Perfect! feeling good. 
    Next one 6:39, pings a little earlier than the mile marker 
    6:44 earlier again, but seemed to hold that same distance in advance of the markers for most the marathon.
    6:43 6:40 had a gel. At 6 an old mate came alongside had a quick chat but I realised I wasn't breathing properly so politely moved him on. 6:45
    i was starting to get bored now, was helped briefly when a rather Buxem young lass came sprinting past to hand a runner some gels or something, I'm sure there is a story there. 
    6:44 6:48 6:44 6:48 6:42 6:49 (flyover before heading into a village). At 11, I'd noticed my right hamstring was feeling tight on one of the corners. 6:33 back over the flyover and halfway about 1:28 something, but probably a bit slower where the official half way marker was . I wasn't willing it to get to 20. I knew if I could keep in the game I'd have a good chance.
    6:46, 6:45 and I'm noticing my feet are really tingly and sore, and a bit of doubt comes in but I push it away.
    the next parts to 20 I found pretty hard. And I recall an old TR saying that they dont hand marathons out in cereal packets! 6:50, 6:53, 6:58,6:56 6:56. And I get to 20 miles.
    it was at this point I took stock. What do I really want? I want to do London and get gfa, do I ease it back 7:05 - I'm easing it back and I don't really want to. I said to myself that if I keep moving, I'll have a fast last mile, and if the mile markers correct themselves I should have a chance of getting under 3. 7:08
    Then the sub 3 pacer comes past me (ffs) 7:17, 7:18, stay with it keep moving, it's only a couple of miles. 
    Get to the 40k marker, and work out that I can still get it I get it If I work. Then quite a bit further I see the 25 mile marker - I'm like wtf. Still hoping it'll correct itself. 7:17.
    last full mile, breath deep avoid cramp which was twitching. 6:56 and I see the finish line stream on a large tv I can see it's on 2:57, and we turn onto a long straight. I'm hoping it's going to be near, and I've prepared myself that if it says 2:59 and going to go full on, it comes into view and it's already saying 300 I'm thinking, bollocks, but go hard for 6:29. 
    3hrs and 44 secs.

i know I clenched my fist as I crossed the line so I was definitely pleased with it. 
    I ran strong and it was good to be back on the scene after all this time out. 
    The ups and downs of a marathon were summed up in one moment for me in the race village. 
    The jubilation of seeing the erdinger tents, only to then notice the alkohol free sub notes. (Ffs) 

so I think I got what I deserved, I don't think I could have done anymore, and I'm made up with it frankly. London gfa (assuming they don't mess with it!) 
    this one can go with Shakespeare and 2012 as my best relative performances.
    only mistake I found from my training, is that for my feet to hurt means I didnt do enough runs on the road (plus excess weight probs!) 

so, next up I have to throw my leg over my bike, get swimming and get this ironman done end of June.  That will get me close to old racing weight. Then I have the summer to build for Berlin marathon - and who knows what time I'll be shooting for at that one.

thanks for the support, it definitely makes a difference doesn't it! 

• Options
    I'm glad that you are pleased with how it went WTGY - a good result given life during your campaign.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SJ - fantastic effort, sound like you judged that perfectly! Thoroughly deserved.

WTGY - as you said, you couldn't have done any more, so you have to be pleased. Puts you in a good place for the IM too.

Some nice final long runs being done by lots of people too.

As expected, I got ill on Friday evening and spent the whole of Saturday in bed. So Mrs P looked after mini-P all day, and then we swapped on Sunday because I was feeling a little bit better and she got hit with it! I feel almost back to normal now, just a bit weak from lack of food. I'm hoping we're through it all now and we'll all be back to normal in the next day or two.

I haven't run for over a week now, but will probably wait until tomorrow to try anything.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Padams -- good grief, sorry about mini-P having endured all that, and then you two as well.

SJ, StevieWh -- hooray, well done both!

WTGY -- epic comeback!

TR's right, I'll do another full training marathon two weeks out (next week) probably. Yesterday's was my reps/tempo session, then steady -- marathon in about 3hr09, but then did a little more at an easy pace to make 28M, which felt fine. Fuelled only by a pint of tea beforehand. So my endurance is fine, but the paces in the workout were poor still -- I think my plodding has been just too slow to  work the usual high-volume magic perhaps, and I need to quickly add some icing to my cake. Right now I could be struggling to at least keep sub-2:45, whilst I'm nowhere near my "usual" 2:40. So I'll maybe ease up on the miles this week and try and get in some quality mid-week sometime, ahead of another quality long run next Sun.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    WTGY - Whooaw, enjoyed reading about your race,  so very close, squarely back in the game!  A great confidence and fitness booster, well done.  Good luck with the IM. 
    Padams - Never rains but pours.  Hope you all have a far better week. 
    Enjoyed your report too SJ, so well-paced, well done again.
    Congrats too SteveWh on the time, given the disrupted training and most of all the PB. 
    12m y'day with 5 @ planned mp, averaged out at 6.18 which i will gladly take next Sunday.  Looks like going to be a bit fresh at 8 am, current forecast saying 6C 'feels like 3C' c'mon this is Paris in Easter!  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Good to see you are in good shape ES

WTG - pretty good ROI that, hopefully it'll motivate you for Berlin. The 3.01 got me out the door a lot over the winter, but i think it was the cramps that came with it thst was the bigger motivator.

CW - if you are running to HR at vlm, then you can relax and see what happens on the day, you might surprise yourself.

OO - hopefully it'll warm up a bit for you, early days for weather forecasts, im not looking yet.

Padams - hope you are all on the mend now.

The SPO was awake until my youngest came home from his bday booze up at 3am, which kept me awake, so 6am alarm was a shock. So im not in my happy place today, my back and hammy are still not right (got physio again tonight), but more importantly my dad isnt very well again, and still has an infection and complications. Hopefully in a few days all will settle.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions on a late-May race. I have  signed up to Liverpool as the best option to get there and back in a weekend, is not a crazy hilly course, and I can squeeze in a Manchester visit to a friend too. Hopefully that it's a points race for the world marathon age group majors will bring in a few more sub-3 runners as well.

@WayToGoYet that's still a great run, remember we don't count the seconds in a marathon! Great effort there too @saintjason @StevieWh, great early sub-3 bar set for the rest of us running this spring.

Managed 18miles yesterday @7:40min, mostly comfortable when out there even if niggly-sore afterward driving my son to his swimming. (my physio would scold me if she knew I was sitting still afterward!)
    Still, it's  much better than 2 weeks ago. That's 57m for the week, most I've done since Feb. if I can get that to 65 this week and no worse in the hip i'll count that another success. 
  • Options
    Many congrats to all the Manchester crew, in addition to my well wishes on Strava. Do enjoy a detailed race report too, so thanks for the write-ups!

As well as the Tergat/target naivety last week, I must confess to being out of the loop on DBS too. Don't be soft, I'm guessing?!

Sorry to hear of your travails Padams; hope you're out the other side soon.

And sorry to hear about your Dad TR; fingers crossed for you. 

12M for me yesterday (7:27av, faster finish). Roll on Sunday. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TR - So true, its changed already, now saying 4C feels like 1C.  Saying that though most of my marathons the past few years have been in the Spanish sun, I like running in the cold.  Brightons' looking decent too.
    TGO - Sounds like its working out to be a good week. 
    EE - Somehow prefer 'don't be soft' think its 'don't be shit'. 
  • Options
    TR - sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he's on the mend before Brighton, I know what an adverse affect worrying about my in laws is having on me.

Padams - I think that leaving it an extra day would be the best idea. Hope Mrs P is better soon too.

How have you recovered today Charlie?