Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    You can do it Joolska!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    LMH - i dont mind it hot for a 1/2 but wouldn't like it for a mara. When is v of y ? I doubt itd be this warm. You'll run quicker if its cooler anyway. Nice one on the 23, might be 24 next weekend. But as you are multi long runs per week you dont really need 23 or 24.

SJ - well done on the 21. Agreed, on the back to back campaigns, ive pretty much been marathon training for around a year non stop. I think im starting to improve at long last, but to be fair Brighton was scuppered by a few things and i think would have been in 2.55 shape otherwise. I would rather the solent 1/2 be run the other way.

Jools - you can go sub 90. What do you need it for? National championship race ?

Went to Hants T20 today, it was bizarre as the crowd were cheering the Test Match run chase on their phones.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, champs qualifier for VLM. Less risky than doing a marathon (sub 3.15: I probably could with a few more months behind me but it would wipe the legs out).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Oh i see, i thought you meant a half marathon championship race.
  • Options
    15th September TR. I think the back to back campaigns really bring fitness on.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice to have a firm target @Joolska .

@saintjason - 4 weeks 70+ is impressive - how is the body coping with the jump up?
    @TR - you can certaintly knock those miles out

Im on 3 weeks at 60+ and now that theres quality going in I am feeling the load - got some nueralgia down my left leg which is affecting my calf - easily controlled with Ibuprofen but I dont like taking the stuff

18 yesterday and a session of 3x2 + 2x1 at HMP on Sat means im a touch jaded but only have a 6m recovery to worry about today. !
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Some truely fantastic training going on.
    Joolska - Looks like your in with a great shout of sub 90 at Bristol. 
    SJ - Fantastic to hit 70+ weeks for a good run now, consistently consistent is the key and key for faster yet easier feeling marathons.
    LMH - Agree with your comment on back to back marathons. 
    TR - Your munching up the miles, 91 m is excellent.  And the cricket, unbelievable summer for the England and Wales team. 
    Menn - Must take some time for the body to adapt to that increase in quality sessions, especially in this heat.  A great weekends training though, I'd certaintly take that. 
    Hope it cools down a bit for you for the weekend, Padams. Have the best taper of all tapers.
    First LSR of the Abingdon campaign with a sticky  20.5 m for me in 2:40 y'day to being up 52 for what has been a family and beer affected week.  Unsure what my groin issues are, (I wish TR!) most likely a slight sports hernia but could be abductors or simple overuse.  Hopefully see the GP later this week to have a clearer idea.  The view seems to be its OK to train but to avoid the quicker stuff so the plan is slow decent weekly mileage and ease back when it hurts.  I've been lucky the past 3 years with injuries so overdue for something.
  • Options
    Mennania - please be careful if you're taking ibuprofen regularly and running, it's potentially a very bad combination for your stomach lining.

Hope you can get some answers from your GP OuchOuch though I'd probably see a physio instead.

Nice MLR this morning apart from the bit where i was bowled over by a just above knee height. Don't think there's any damage beyond scrapes and bruises but my left knee is a bit swollen.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hope you are ok LMH, it will probably be cooler by sept 15th.

Menn - i like that session and long run combo, good to run long on tired legs. How many sessions will you do a week at peak ? I rarely run quicker than 8mm, so can do lots of double digits, but i think that the mp tempo running will do me good if i can get some done each week.

OO - good one on tbe 20. I had to stop running for groin/pubic area soreness 3 years back, i still get issues from time to time, usually after racing or running hard. Like you i just ibuprofen it, but im not taking them lots.

12m more today.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    TR - 91M with some quality in there, you're putting together a really good run of training. Just don't overdo it now...

SJ - very nice consistent training.

Menn - good mileage by you too. I would echo what LMH said about the ibuprofen, but you said "I don't like taking the stuff" so I suspect you feel the same anyway.

More house moving over the weekend but much less than the weekend before and all done now.

11M on Saturday as 6M steady then parkrun, then cooldown home. The parkrun was offroad and a bit undulating, and I didn't want to push it too hard, so took the first lap steady and picked it up in the 2nd lap. It was good fun moving from 4th place to 1st in the last mile and feeling good at the end of a 5k for once! 18:06 overall (course PB is 16:59).

Then 4M easy with mini-P and the dog on Sunday and 6.5M yesterday including one final lap of Saturday's course - left the house at 12pm so it was pretty warm (very little shade on the route), but felt OK.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Been away on hols with the family so practically no running last week (bar a mile on the SW Coastal Path with Mrs TT who's continuing her post-op recovery, and a HR Max text).

Jools - it sounds like a good workout with the tunnel 10k, and you've got a marker for Cardiff. I'm in a similar boat for the champs qualifiers.

TR - good improvement over a year in worse conditions! Looking good for Abo.

sj - sounding in good shape! Nice one!

Menn - will be interesting to see how the coaching works out for you.

Loads of good training going on overall. As I said I had last week practically off. Training was always going to start properly this week. Plan is to train to HR (hence the HR Max test - I'm working off a 'safe' max of 192 based on the test and previous lab testing approach from years back) - to help rebuild volume whilst managing my fibromyalgia.

Yesterday was a fun way to start - a Bingo Run (run laps of just over a mile, pick a number, if it's on your bib then you cross it off, and keep going until you've crossed off all 3 numbers - we ran as a team of 3, with me doing 2 consecutive laps to my team-mates' 1 each). I put a HR limit of 85% HRR on, and treated it as a fartlek workout, as it was basically 1 lap, 30-60s rest (check a number, go again), 1 lap, 20-30mins rest, repeat. We needed the full 20 laps to get our numbers which meant I got in close to 11 miles. 

I know it was hot, but given the drift (and eventual pace falling off a cliff) I reckon I wouldn't break 3 hours at the moment, so thinking 6 weeks to manage a sub-75 half at Bournemouth might be a big ask and I'll need a different spring marathon than VLM given my lack of champs time. I'll see how the first 2 weeks go before deciding whether or not to enter it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Padams - looking good for saturday. To be fair 81 of the 91 would be around 8mm. I was thinking today that i remember you saying to StevieWh that his 10m tempo could be basis of a campaign with a long run etc. Im thinking of doing this for the next 6 weeks with the tempo as the only hard stuff*

Although  - i did the 10m again today, as im still off work and found it tough going, but it was a lot warmer than last week. 2m easy, 10m av 6.37.

* i do wonder if i can do this to myself each week, today was bloody tough.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Long weekend away, but continuing nice training streak from TR noted, and Jools' 5K race, well done.

I really do seem to have done something nasty to my leg muscles. It's now 2.5 weeks on from my 100K race, and my calves still feel fragile -- as if the muscle tissue was all wiped out and I'm starting again from scratch. It just wasn't like this after previous ultra events. Here was I thinking I'd go into my York campaign with an amazing endurance base from the 100K training, and plenty of time to recover and resume high quality training. As it is, I'm a mess. I took the (excellent) Runner's World _The Runner's Body_ away with me to remind myself what it said about DOMS and muscle damage. It had some ominous words about the jury still being out on whether there are only so many times you can inflict destruction and rebuild your muscles without it taking a permanent toll...
  • Options
    Charlie - I'd expect it to take 4-6 weeks for your legs to be over the ultra and the less you ask them to do in that time the quicker they are likely to recover. Keep them moving with cycling, swimming or even walking. Make sure your diet is good - plenty of good quality protein and vitamins and minerals. You'll have plenty of time to get a good mini campaign in for York if you let them recover and the endurance adaptation will be waiting for you.

Taper time now then Padams.

Are you planning a taper for your next half TR?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    CW - give those calves plenty of protein and hot water bottle. Might be worth getting some sports massage too. You might have scar tissue in there.

LMH - i will do similar to last yr, which i think was just a couple of easy days. I had a crap run at fleet (1.25) 4 weeks before Brighton when i thought id run well, so I'll see what i did before that too. Its hard to race well so late in the campaign. If i taper more, I'll race faster in the hm, but will then need more recovery. Maybe ive just talked myself into not doing it at all ?

Tipp Topp - i cross posted with you earlier. Good to see you. Hope you go well at Bournemouth, you usually get pretty sharp quickly.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    @OuchOuch Good thats its not stopping you running - I had adductor issues a few years ago that where resolved with some torturous stretches.

@CharlieW - Hope they return asap - Im icing, compressing and drugging just to keep mine together off similar miles but spread over a week - Dont like to think what id be like after an Ultra

@Little M.iss Happy - I only take them with food an hour before a run - still not ideal but booked in to a physio and ramping up stretches for sciatica which seems to give some relief but reminds me I am pants at stretching and hopelessly unsupple. 

@Padams - Decent weekend of running imbetween house moving by the sounds - 

@TR - fatigue from prolonged heat is taking  its toll on me  - I am now running my easy stuff more in the 8.xx bracket to compensate. I had another session today which looked horrific on paper but was a lot better than thought - 3 sets of 3 x 3 mins at 5k pace off 60 with 2.30 between sets. which ended up being a tad over 5 miles at 5.19. Ive got another session of 11 miles alternating from 6.05 - 5.40/45 on Thursday and an easy 20 on sunday. - It seems that I can expect two challenging sessions and a LSR every week. Mileage is being kept to the 60-70 range though.

@TippTop - sounds like a novel way of conning yourself to run 12 x 1m intervals!!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TippTop: I don't know how the timings work out for you, but generally you don't have to run your champs qualifier until the tail of the year, so it may be you can find something in November for your sub-75.  I know the ladies' standard is easier, but I do currently have 2 opportunities (Bristol and Burnham-on-Sea) and will go for a third or fourth if needs be!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - interesting stuff. Shows what a coach can do for someone. 8mm eaay stuff when you are a 2.3X man, shows that most folks run too fast too often. Lots of mixed pace work too, i like it. Sounds like its going to be an enjoyable journey. I agree with the session looking tough comment, i knew i was in for a tough day today, but just kept thinking id be chuffed if i got it done.
  • Options
    Before you run is about the worst time to take them Mennania and I'd question if you should be running at all if you need painkillers to do so? Have you told your coach what you're doing?

TippTop - you do always seem to get in shape quickly but as Joolska says I think you can run a HM qualifier later.

Tr - front loading the week sounds like a good idea if you're not targeting the half. I'll be tapering for VoY but I expect to be able to pick the miles back up quite quickly (barring injury) as long as I keep them easy.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    It is not ideal I agree @Little M.iss Happy but its something Ive had to manage over the years - Seen several consultants but the only real option for me is NSAIDs when they flare up and I only take 400 mg before a hard session. I treat it as a transient complaint which is not running related as ive had it since I was 9.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - you probably can get back to big miles straight after the hm given your high mileage legs, but you would be better off writing off 3 or 4 days after it for short and easy runs. That way you will recover better for yr marathon. Its a trade off if you want to race the hm, but worth it if you run a fast time, which will be a good confidence booster.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Menn - that crossed my mind afterwards!

TR - I'll be building up to those 10m tempos (but at a little under marathon effort) in time. Doing 1 a week with your volume will make you strong. I'm making a point of trying not to come back too quickly this time. I'm hoping using the hrm and building more gradually will allow me to get fit again, but as it'll be more gradual I'm expecting the payoff to take longer.

CW - hopefully everything settles down soon for you.

Jools/LMH - cheers. I just emailed them off the back of your comments. I'd hope that would at least mean Gosport is in the mix.

To give a better indication of where I am fitness wise right now..... a 30min jog at lunchtime (maxHR set to 60% HRR) returned a pace of 9:03/m. Even allowing for the heat that's pretty poor, and probably about 80s per mile down on when I was in pb shape. On the plus side at least I should see improvements at a decent rate! :)
  • Options
    Sounds as though you have it sorted then Mennania though it might be worth asking your GP about, or buying, some Omeprazole.

TR - it only usual;y takes a couple of weeks to get a hard half out of my legs with normal training volume and I have five weeks between VoY and York.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - agreed on the 2 weeks to get it out the legs. Im meaning getting over the aerobic effort before you get back to it. So a bit of a reverse taper rype thing. Being tapered you can push harder on race day, so need to factor in recovery too. But like i said, its worth it if you get a good hm time out of it.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I once read somewhere its a day a mile raced for full recovery so 14 days fits blob on. Looking around the internet for a good S&C programme if anyone can give any pointers?
  • Options
    Sorry Mennania I have a basic program a PT at my gym did for me when I joined - would your coach not give you some ideas?
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Yep @Little M.iss Happy - hes going to send me his stuff over - I am a bit funny about stuff like this - I know that if I dont fancy it I wont do It so just trying to find something that I like the look of. 
    Jaded today
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - i was going to say ask your coach too, he needs to know what s and c you are doing and when, as it will affect yr running at times.

Just 6m easy today, my legs were tired today.
  • Options
    Must be something in the air - a real tired day for me too - nearly talked myself out of a run but had a bit of a word and got it done, boy was it slow at the start though!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Definitely: I slept badly last night and feel very sluggish today!  I was never going to get my 10 miles done early doors so it's looming over me to be done later...