Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Id have tapered for sunday given no vlm.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Double whammy of Geneva and VLM cancelled today for me, the right decisions though, so look forward to giving it some training welly in the summer for the revised October dates. Have cancelled the Geneva hotel and Easyjet are giving credits towards future - more expensive - flights.  So only Taunton 5th April left standing (for now)!  My wife works at the hospital there and it all sounds pretty drastic preparing for the wave of seriously ill people, so!  Thankfully Sunday's Falmouth HM is still on. I have my eyes on a couple of trail/ ultra events over the summer so that should be new and a challenge. 
    LMH - Your right, interesting the approach for most of us to get Covid-19 so the wider population builds-up herd immunity.
  • Options
    There isn't really any other option currently OuchOuch.

I'd be surprised if many races go ahead after this weekend, medical cover is going to be an issue as people who work in health care will be needed in their day jobs as they gradually fall ill - many of those who work for the companies that provide private medical cover for events are employed in the NHS.

Difficult times ahead.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Brighton 20th Sept !
  • Options
    At least that spaces things out for you a bit TR.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I cant do all 3, so will have to defer something. Will have to hope north dorset goes ahead now. Thats still 7 weeks away.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The big city marathon cancellations, at least 'good' news for the Taunton marathon which has gained 30 new registrations today, now 226 entries, and maybe other smaller events.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thats if the folks still put the smaller races on, but that will become clear as the weeks go by. Bath and Fleet are copping some flak for going ahead.....i guess it will depend upon how determined folks are to put races on, whilst the decision is within rheir control.
  • Options
    Manchester obviously went today too. I wonder if London will allow me to un-defer myself? 

Mrs SJ works at The Christie and some scrouts have been nicking the hand sanitizers off the walls in the wards! 

Not that it really matters currently but ran 45 mins today with 25 at (supposed to be tempo) more like threshold looking at the HR data. See how I pull up from that little blast in the morning. 

Was quite pleasant running along the path next to the Mersey. I reckon I could do a few lunchtime efforts etc along there. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - yes, apparently you will get that option.

Not entirely comfortable with fleet going ahead, as its 3000ish, i was expecting it to get called off.
  • Options
    Tricky one TR. As you said before, had you known 100% about vlm you might have been inclined to taper more for Fleet. If your dad has underlying health issues maybe the race doesnt matter that much? 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about London, Manchester & Boston though inevitable I suppose.  Anyone care to re-jig the autumn marathon fixture list - overcrowded and spoilt for choice I guess.
    The locals here in Barca are still a bit stunned that the marathon is off   It's a blessing all round that we can come back in October.
    Best of luck to the weekend racers.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - agreed, we have vulnerables in my family and mass gatherings are about to be banned anyway.
  • Options
    Whether the smaller events will go ahead will depend in part on the impact and feelings of the local community I think - will they want invading by a few hundred runners or will the organisers lose their goodwill? Also if they are based in schools/community centres etc that might add another layer to the decision. We are in for a strange few weeks.

I felt like that about Ashby TR - not because of any concerns for me and mine (FiL's home is already in lock down and MiL currently visiting BiL) but because of the impact on the locals.

If anyone is racing this weekend - give it a blast and enjoy it whilst you can!

Wardi - soak up the sun and bring some back please.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Remember this from the 2017 VLM?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0jWz34u9k

I appear after 25 seconds in a  white running vest checking my watch as I run 2.50.04 (ouch, I blame the Chortlon guy for those 5 seconds) with DanA just behind in a yellow West4 vest and shades.  

Wardi - Hope they let you back in?

Taunton 250+ entries now, increasing its chances of being pulled! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I had decided not to run fleet as i feel it was morally the right thing to do, my dad is in his 80s with poor health, my neighbour is 101.....but they have now called it off anyway.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    TR - the right call for you in the end then and you get to run the rearranged fixture guilt free further down the track. 

Read the statement now from VLM and you are correct, I can un-defer myself so that is good news in a way as I would have to pay again to run in 2021.

OO - so close. Chorlton are one of our local rivals. Hipster types. Defo their fault. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    SJ - Good news, see you in London?

My half marathon is organised by the local hospice and given that, the call on if I run is there's as they're far better positioned to assess risks etc. It does feel slightly surreal though at the moment.  
  • Options
    I'm glad they made the decision TR - my BiL is due to run the Hampton Court HM tomorrow which is apparently still going ahead (as is Bath I think?) - but he has MiL staying with him at the moment which worries me a little.

I hope Wardi didn't fly with Jet2?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - hopefully fleet rearrange to 4 or 5 wks before vlm and kepp their vlm build up race tag.

OO - smaller races are a bit less of a concern i guess ? Fleet were under pressure due to 3000 descending on the village from all parts (as its the masters race as well as Hants league and a vlm build up). We'll see as the weeks go on and the pk of the virus comes.

LMH - bath statement says its too late to cancel  as folks will do it anyway.

When i entered North dorset i was around entrant 135, it had trickled up to 170ish but 50 went in overnight. They are sayimg they will fo their best to put the race on (they have a 400 limit), but will postpone to another date if needed. If it doesnt happen you can either defer or get a refund.

Southampton looking at 21st june if they postpone.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I went for a tempo run today as the wind wasnt too bad, and another long run might not be needed, so 2m easy, 10m av 6.33. Solid on a breezy day. Chest was aching so might have a cold coming.
  • Options
    Strange how it's too late for Bath but everyone else seems to be managing it.
  • Options
    Nice run that TR, keep the good miles going.

That's a shame re Fleet but it seems to be the right call with everything else that's going on. I have no idea what my running year is going to look like now. Time to sort my knee. Build it back up slowly and if big events are struggling to be on then focus on some of the shorter stuff for the summer.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Nice run TR.  Go easy now. 

I spoke too sodding soon, Taunton Marathon just cancelled - another one bites the dust!  That's the full set of my Spring marathons.  Now gotta find the smallest, hardiest, ugliest marathon that no more than 50 people will want to do!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks like everything will get shutdown now then. When govt announce the mass gatherings ban dates things will be clearer.
  • Options
    Bath organisers are getting a lot of flack I see.  Even the local MP has called on them to cancel.

My clubmate who was coming to Tokyo with me now has Berlin, Boston London and New York all a few weeks apart.  He's thinking about Chicago and NY because it's the one time there'll be a chance to do 5 of the 6 majors in 7 weeks!

I'm fully expecting the England Masters 10k to disappear, although they will hold on that because it's not until May.  On the plus side, I'll be top of the V50 marathon rankings until the autumn at least I would think!
  • Options
    you did well getting in early CD.

Sorry but not surprised OuchOuch. I think it's the responsible thing to do.
  • Options
    I was very lucky in hindsight LMH, for sure.  If I'd heard about Barcelona being open for entries before I'd entered Seville I would probably have waited - that week was a bit of a rush!  I do feel for everyone who's put in the big miles but won't get to race for a while.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    CD - what cant speak cant lie No 1 for a good while yet I think B)
    got 4 x 1.5m at HMP -MP done yesterday and legs are not too bad today. Got to try and get 8 in later but not looking promising.
    Theres a lot of frustrated runners out there at the moment.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    CD - top of the rankings for ages. Very wise to run Seville.

I'll keep it ticking over nicely this week, once mass garhering guidelines come out we might get some more rescheduled dates.
    Southampton mara are targwtting june 21st but who knows if thats a sensible date?

GFA applications for 2021 might move to after 2020 has been run. GFA could get faster as there will be plenty of autumn maras on potentially quick days. Could be a fast day at vlm?