Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - 90m is a lot with no 20 miler, is that peak mileage?

Wardi - good one, good to be at one week to go.

14m inc 6 ~mp is my usual run for today, on a flat cycle lane by the city. Swapped it to the normal commute and long run lanes just in case my tummy played up as per yday. But means a hilly wu and wd and a lumpy couple of miles in the 6m mp. Anyway 6m at a comparable av and max HR despite lumps and a bit of breeze. Coughed my guts up afterwards, and my legs were too achey late on. one week to get rid of all the mucus.......ripped up stairs carpet, final bathroom tip run and then some other chores......time for a few frothies later.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - how's things 

Zero today, trying to get healthy now, i can't get any fitter.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope you manage to get rid of the gunk TR, unfortunate timing indeed.  There seems to be a lot of fuss over London start times.  e.g. front of Red is due to set off about 12 mins later than Pen 1 on blue. Fast red runners will be stuck behind slower blue runners in theory.  Bizarre!

Electrician finishes tomorrow.. our outside floodlight/PIR failed so he's fitting an LED equivalent.  We also have the bathroom man coming to investigate the upstairs shower leak.

After my volunteer stint at Bramham Park I did a steady 4m shakeout, rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    No idea on waves Wardi, mine says yellow wave 1 at 9.40. Not sure what yellow is, might be gfa, so really means red start.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Wardi - That wave start schedule sounds bonkers, no doubt nerve inducing too, imagine Chester much more straightforward. 

TR - Good move on the rest day, nothing to be gained now just the lurgy to lose.

13m @ 7.11 mm this evening. Was intending to do 5 @ mp as part of, but was enjoying the 7.10 pace too much and it just felt right. 60m for the week so starting the week taper now. 
  • Options
    Wardi - I'm #2279 for Chester. I did plan initially to make a weekend break of it for myself and Mrs SJ but the kitchen went over budget and since we're an hour away I opted for the day trip instead. Good to hear your recent renovations are also nearing completion. Very fancy sounding gesture controlled mirrors. Sounded very busy at the parkrun. 

TT - Good to read you are feeling stronger and the mix of running seems to be paying off with the impressive double workout day. Nice back2back 90 mile weeks too. Huge investment which will pay you back nicely. 

OO - When its going well and you feel good its difficult to stick to the plan!   Great to hit your time trial target for the training 10k. Looking right on the money to me. Nice cruisy 13 miles today and another solid week. 

TR - Hopefully you clear your lungs in the next few days. That MP run with the dodgy HR data shouldn't be too concerning. The effort was there and that's all that counts really. Same goes for the 6 mile MP segment yesterday. I've concluded that standing a lot more recently doing diy has messed me about (achy lower back and legs). Probably not the best prep.

I've had a mixed-bag of a week. The good news is Mrs SJ feels a lot better and tested negative today. I tested negative too. I did feel very ordinary most of the week however. When I did go for a run it felt uncomfortable. My lower back has been giving me grief as mentioned. 

I've kept things very easy with the easy reps on Tuesday and a short 20 min tempo on Friday. I jogged parkrun with my son yesterday and did an hour today as felt marginally better. My left ankle is sore on the outside to the touch but once I'm running these niggles seem to mostly fade away. The maranoia in full swing at this end.

I enjoyed tracking some clubmates all set new PB's in Berlin today. Kipchoge is such a legend I just expected him to break his own world record. A bit of a pos+ split from him though :)

• Options
    SJ - Good you (seem) to have avoided CV.  All the training is in the bank, and those 2 * 20m and impressive HM @ Cheshire Half  show your in great shape, so rest-up, eat well this week and get it done on Sunday. 

Kipchoge, incredible.  I ran Berlin in 2018 when he broke the previous record and at the start, was around 15m from the start line.  The respect given to him and warmth from the marathon runners, when he appeared at the start remains one of my favourite marathon running moments.  Phenomenal athlete and person.
  • Options
    Wardi - that sounds like a nightmare with the parkrun crowds. Good that you got a useful workout with it though.

TR - No idea on the mileage. I'm kinda going by feel at the moment. Other than Wednesday track I'm not putting any fixed workouts in (and even that I can always dial back). Plan is basically keep the easy stuff real easy, stick appropriate workouts in when I feel could, and take it from there. The 6m sounds positive. Hopefully the lurgy has completely cleared by Sunday.

OO - sounding good!

sj - glad to read you've avoided the lurgy. Enjoy the maranoia :wink:
    Stunning performance by Kipchoge. I did think early on that he didn't seem quite as comfortable and smooth as he normally does, but given he turned out to be slightly on the wrong side of the red line then that explains that. Nice to see that he is human after all!!

I never made it back out for a run Saturday afternoon but did pop out for a gentle 6 on Sunday to make 91. 5 jog/11 moderate double today. It was a bit too windy, and I was a bit too tired, for anything else.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    OO - thats my favourite sort of steady type pace in my long runs. Needs abit of application but not too tough.

SJ - good that you've avoided CV so far, i was wondering. I hear you on the diy making the body ache, all my top trips made me ache, carrying and emptying rubble bags !

TT - keep being careful is the way I guess.

5m easy here, couple of miles of mp tomorrow then it gets real short stuff. Expo weds as usual.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    All the best for the taper TR, I always find it a strange week after banging out the miles for weeks on end.  Good that you can get the Expo done midweek.

TT.. another good week of miles however achieved.  Re. Berlin I was also impressed with the female race and times.  It does seem to be the marathon where sparks fly!

SJ.. good to hear Mrs SJ is in the clear now.  Also wishing you a quiet taper and all your niggles disappear this week.

The upstairs shower has been sorted subject to testing.  Bits of dodgy grout removed and re-sealed.  New LED floodlight outside too..
    Rest day today, will do a few miles with the club tomorrow.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i dont mind a taper, but the runs get so short it gets a bit what's the point, but its important to keep old bodies moving.

Cough went a bit backwards yday, today was due to be 6m inc 2mp, i eased off briefly after a few minutes as i wasn't sure it was a good idea, but then cracked on as i need to see what happens. Av 6.35 with reasonable HR, but then had a coughing fit and my chest ached from then on. It's going to end in tears one way or another...........went to the pharmacy and asked for something to clean my lungs up for a marathon on Sunday, he sold me a bottle of medicine and looked at me like I was mad, and saud i need to go to doctor when it gets to 3 weeks (can't be far off that)......it's going to end in tears one way or another, will review things later in the week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. It's a while since I had a chest ailment but I remember lying in a hot bath with salts for 30/40 mins which seemed to help.  Sod's law it's sticking around close to the main event.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    TR - The good news, your clearly in good shape. Chuck everything at that cough, Wardi's bath suggestion is on the money. Luckily you have a few days to get shot of it but it does seem to have been hanging around. 

Wardi - Your right, I've run around 40 marathons and the last week is always uncomfortable. Rest up and regular short runs is the key. Just to do something I also just eat supefoods in the last week, which really I should eat far more regularly. 

4m with the dog this morning in the sunshine, and a very wet and squelchy slow 10k in the rain this evening. Looking forward to you guys doing well at London and Chester this weekend. Last week of allowing myself a few beers, so currently glugging on a cold German lager  partly as pleased with myself for resisting going to a rather pointless team meeting on " visions and aims" tomorrow in Reading, which would have required an overnight stay and 400 miles of driving! Would have been perfect if I was doing London as would have joined you TR in picking up my number but as I got CV and missed last year's LM and chance of getting a GFA for this year (not bitter 😂) I am not.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.  I remember the days when a GFA time was good for 2 years!  With faster times needed as well now London have really raised the bar.  German lager sounds good.🍺

7m tonight, an enjoyable run with a steady group.  Got a bit wet half way in but it did blow over.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    OO - yep, that was crap CV timing now that a gfa only lasts a year......beer sounds good, I'd love a beer !..........I'm in the same boat, i dropped out at 1/2 way in Brighton due to what i think was CV so have no gfa time for April yet. If i dont run Sunday I'll miss next yr too. It's not been a good year for marathons at my end.

SJ - meant to say, top bombing by Sonia Samuels on Sunday.
  • Options
    TR/Wardi - I didn't realise GFA had been reduced to 1 year. I see it's the same for Champs entries too! I'm guessing it's all covid related/fallout?

Wardi - there is some questioning of the winning female in Berlin. An 800m runner until 4 years ago (never ran further than 800m on the track), she ran pb' of 30:52 for 10km and 67:28 for HM this year, as well as a 2:34 marathon in Dubai, but has now run almost back-to-back HM pb' for a 19min mara pb for #3 all time...... I can certainly understand those questioning the improvement level.

TR - another vote for a hot bath, plus get some olbas oil in a bowl of hot water and put a towel over your head/it.

OO - with the way the traffic is around here at present that drive would probably have taken you a lot longer than you thought too.

Carrying on with decent mileage, but keeping the pace sedate. Track tonight should be a good test of endurance/strength as it'll be 2km, 1km and 6 x 600/200, with just 30s recoveries between the 600 and 200 (and 1:30 between sets).
  • Options
    I have everything crossed for you, TR!

5 miles very steady on Monday (legs were a bit trashed from ceilidh dancing on Saturday...!), rest day yesterday and 6 miles steady today.  Gotta love those early autumn mornings - just take care not to trip on a conker :)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ah yes indeed Jools, the combination of racing flats and conkers was never a comfortable one. :smirk:

TR.. hope the Expo trip went well and your lungs are gradually clearing.

5m easy this morning, followed by my usual pre-marathon purchase of a sliced Soreen loaf and some sugary Coke.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Jools - Like the sound of the ceilidh dancing. 
    TT  - That looks like a good session and as you infer will give you a good marker on where you are.

The final 10K TT before my race. It came out 37.52, so 6 seconds faster than last weeks affair. This was on a slightly tougher course with 1 uphillish mile taking 6.40, so probably if I ran my normal course, maybe a 30-35 seconds improvement on last week's TT run, which I will happily take. So using these runs to help set my marathon time, I reckon I will  be a couple of minutes either way of 2.51 all being well and getting there on time - an 8 am start!  Relieved that last session is banked and just easy running for the rest of this week. 
  • Options
    TR - How was the expo? More importantly, has the chest improved or are you still coughing up gunk? Ditto with Joolska, everything crossed for you at this end. Yes great result for Sonia at Berlin. Inspirational. 

OO - Nice one on the German bier and good reason to celebrate  with the team meeting avoidance.  Good to get the final 10k TT done and dusted. I like the way you use those as race predictors. I suppose you have completed so many that you are very in tune with how you are going. 

Wardi - Good prep and planning with the post race nutrition. I usually make a tuna sandwich and a banana plus protein shake for post race. I'm trying out some SiS BETA Fuel jellies on Sunday. Some science points towards the benefits of actually chewing stuff in addition to gulping down the carb gels. Maybe nothing at all but I do get a mini boost from some well-timed jelly babies from kindly supporters. 

TT - Hope the track test went as hoped. Your recent volume should see you in good shape in terms of strength I would have thought. 

LS21 - Hope the sciatica aggravation has settled down and you've been able to keep going mate. You were in more than decent shape so hopefully you have been able to pick things up? 

Jogging this week has had everything from niggles to being really uncomfortable with lower back stiffness. The only time I have felt decent was during Tuesday's 4 x 3 min efforts at race pace where I was up on my toes. Funny old game at times as wiser folks on here have often commented. 

30 mins this morning in the early autumnal sunshine. Rest day tomorrow. Then gentle parkrun on Saturday with my son. He will be trying to improve on his debut last week of 25:40 no doubt. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. cracking time trial and a very decent confidence boost.  Must admit I don't mind early starts too much. Barca & Valencia were 08.30, nice to be supping a post race beer by lunchtime!   I did think the London start time was too late in recent years but I see it's a more sensible 09.40 this year - particularly as they have a staggered start.

SJ.  I normally do 2.5m-3m Saturday morning, not sure whether to have a Trot around Chester Parkrun as we're travelling tomorrow.  I'm staying on Lower Bridge St which looks ideal for both start and finish.  Have you got a target time in mind?

I have felt a bit sluggish at times this week but spritely at others.  Probably my least favourite part of the marathon schedule!
    4m with Mrs Wardi earlier, everything ticking over ok apart from my nose running - typical taper symptom.🙄
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    No improvement, backwards if anything.......spoke to doctor on phone who sent me to see a nurse, who called in a doctor after listening to my lungs who said if its no better at the end of next week then I'm to have an x-ray (booked for Friday,), and that i really shouldn't be trying to run a marathon, as i muight set myself back long term, which they are starting to see post CV......he was wondering if i have CV.......SPO  has had it too, we are starting to wonder if its from ripping off the 100yr old plaster in the bathroom, which has irritated our lungs.....who knows......few days off and then try to get going again gently (the first doc was ok with running if it doesn't make chest ache).......means no 2023 gfa as i only made 1/2 way at Brighton due to suspected CV.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    ......I'm streaming with snot again now too, probably caught something else at the expo.......
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    TR - That's a real shame but the correct decision given your symptoms and medical advice. You could probably run on Sunday but you have to think long term. If it was just a cold you could get away with it but I wouldn't be risking long term harm for the sake of a race. Rest up these next few days and gentle does it when you pop the trainers back on. Ripping down 100 year old walls is never going to be good for your lungs. I have dust masks in the shed but do I ever use them! 

Wardi - If you pressed me on it my target is anything starting with a 2. At the start of the week my eyes were widening as I reviewed training. Then I gave myself a reality check and remembered this is a lumpy course. I've read a few race recaps from this course and the race can be ruined in the first 6 miles as it's quite up and down. So, as always, I'll be starting super cautious and see what happens thereafter. 

All this talk of GFA has me considering why I'm so ambivalent towards London. Sure it has the prestige but it's so expensive (hotel, travel) when I consider I have a reasonably sized race a short tram ride away each April. Added bonus of sleeping in my own bed too. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    TR - That is so unlucky.  Normally I am gung-ho on people taking there chances, but on this occasion, totally the right call.  You have Abingdon coming-up,  so good to have a near term focus.   

SJ - That sounds the right strategy for Chester though with some of your recent runs and times, my eyes would widen too.  If I had the Manchester marathon on my doorstep, I would 100% make the same decision as you. It's like London, big, noisy and fun, but without the faff.  Anything with a 2 is the right answer, same here, 2.49 would be nice but 2.59 equally so.

Wardi - I suffer in the last week too, but as we all should be reminding each other, the training's all done now, its time to rest and focus on the race.  8 am is certaintly early but did start a marathon once in France at 7 am due to the heat. 

Easy double planned for today 4 and 6 miles, trying to avoid today's storm. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    SJ - id be doing Manchester too, in your shoes. All the best for Sunday.

OO - I learnt in April not to show up unwell. No idea if Abo is possible, it's only 3 wks.......entered the old faithful Goodwood in December, I'm determined to get a result in for 2022 even if its 11 laps of the motor cct again in the wind.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Very tough luck TR, nil ROI after a very thorough training campaign must be so frustating.  Shame you're not even well enough to trundle round in a more modest V50 GFA (sub 3:15).  Maybe consider an alternative next year, I have enjoyed spreading my marathon wings in recent years, both here & overseas.
    Vaguely similar .. when I ran Berlin in 2005 I developed a lumpy throat 2-3 days before the race, sod's law etc.  It hadn't got into my lungs at that point so I decided to run, I was in 3:00-3:05 shape at that time.  I knew at 8-9m that my HR was up at circa 7mm plus it was a warm day, around 18 degrees.  I re-dialled my pace for a more modest sub 3:15 target and rolled home in 3:13, a reasonable salvage job on the day.

SJ.. I was chatting with a local runner who had gone sub 3 at Manchester last time out.  He also said it was a lot less hassle than London and recommended it.  Amazing how they seem to get decent conditions there considering Manchester's weather reputation!  Re.Chester Kelvin (Njord) has paced at both York & Chester and reckons they are similar in difficulty so I know roughly what to expect.  One of my clubmates (Joe Slater) shouldn't be too far away from you - he's run 2 x 79m half marathons this year.  Have a good one!

Kit check done & my number is pinned on!  No Expo to visit which is just as well given it's pithing down later today. :/ Weather looks encouraging for Sunday now, good that the wind forecast has dropped significantly.
  • Options
    TR: sorry to hear things haven't improved, but glad that you are focusing on longer term health.  I just wish the timing had been in your favour after all that training...  But having tried to race 2 marathons when I was still suffering with post-viral fatigue, resulting in a DNF at London (2013) and a time well off target in Frankfurt (2015), it's really not worth it.  The marathon will find out any weaknesses, whether in the legs or the lungs!

Rest day for me.  I was tired, the cat was extra clingy and determined to have a long snooze on my lap, and ... well, what's the point in being retired from racing if you can't just skip a day here and there because you're not feeling it?!
  • Options
    TR - that's proper sh!t. Sorry to read it.

OO - nice 10km TT. Looking good.

sj - mixed bag there, but positive that you felt good at race pace. For me, London, as Manchester is for you, is my closest spring marathon, so makes the most sense. I think the other thing it has going for it for me is the championship aspect. I'd like to think I could get fit enough by April to place quite well in the v45 category. I did enjoy Manchester overall too though so if that was my closest I'd be equally happy there.

Track on Wednesday was a no go. I was having major IBS issues which I'd put down to a lunch out where I'd eaten stuff I know I shouldn't really, but felt weird in a 'more than IBS' way. Sure enough I woke up yesterday feeling rough so one of the kids has shared their cold. I slept a lot, and am feeling more with it today, but will wait until tomorrow to try any running.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. I've lost track of the London Champs start qualifying periods and when to enter etc.  I assume your Manchester time from last year is more than adequate?  One of my clubmates has a Champs time and was asking me when he can enter.🤔
    Swift recovery from your dietary indulgence!

My Chester apartment is next to the marathon finishing straight which is handy.  I ran a steady 5k this morning which I used as a reconnaissance jog over to the nearby racecourse which is the start area.  Feet up now, conditions look good for tomorrow.