Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Cripes Jools, that's a spectacular array of sore bits, swift healing to you.  Was the rider high on something?  

TT.. that's a decent pace to hold over 12m, good start to the long runs.

TR.. hope today's run wasn't too much of a trudge after yesterday's effort.  At least you can relax a bit after today and enjoy a few beers. Very soggy up here this morning, hope you managed to escape a wetting.

Just over 9m including Parkrun.  Since I ran at Chester I'm about a minute slower over 5k than pre marathon.  I'll try introducing some strides and intervals this week to see if I can wake my legs up!
    Steady rain this morning though it did thankfully abate for the run. 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Hola.
    Welcome back LD, a quiff, now that is something I envy as a balding late 50 something.
    Cracking effort at Abingdon Al_P, always admire how when you faster guys have a rough patch you lose just a handful of seconds a mile.
    Ouch Jools, sounds nasty. Hope you recover well.
    TT - Very satisfying resumption of long run, good brisk pace.
    TR - what a week well done some fine long runs caught my eye.
    NE - Good suggestion. I prefer the time focused forum approach so you can see how the faster guys and those once or currently around your times 9are doing. 

Serious tapering here, so it's rum with DIET coke only. Not the best place for running as the resort is in a narrow gorge, bordered by the sea and the motorway but have done 30m of generally easy runs  with some hills and intervals. But how in 30C I've developed what I hope is a cold (sore throat, feel a bit meh). So a no run day today. Back home on Monday then marathon on Sunday.  
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Joolska - Hope you recover quickly from those bangs and bruises. Those scooters are lethal regardless if an idiot is "riding one". 

TT - Nice return to longer runs. More than decent steady pace on the board. 

OO - Hope the lurgy is nothing too bothersome. A couple of easy days before you come home sounds in order. 

TR - Big week once again with those long runs. Your legs must be super tough and recover really well. Hope the beers have nullified any side effects from the vaccination. 

Wardi - Yes some sharper stuff ought to remind the legs what running a tad quicker feels like. The Aussie's often talk about strides being perfect speed work without the stress on the body. 

Continuing the unseasonably warm weather theme, today was very warm in Nottingham for the masters XC relays. The ground was good to firm and in truth not a "classic" XC course at all. 

Great organisation and atmosphere was superb. 11:25 for my 3k leg. Went off too fast if truth be told but great fun. 

Rest of the week has been a bit hit and miss. 12 miles in total including 35 min tempo on tues at the club was followed by a couple of easy runs and a steady 7 miles on the treadie as I was late getting out again. 

I'll get out for a 10 miler in the morning to bring up 40 miles for the week. Quite enjoying the lower volume but trying to keep some quality in there. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - no surprise on losing pace after Chester,  strides is a good idea......I was wet through after ydays run, but not from rain, it was real warm and humid. Training gains to be had though. Strange to be so warm, who knows what weather I'll get in 5 wks.

OO - sounds like some warm weather training

SJ - sounds like fun but a long way to go to run 3k? Good idea on keeping some quicker stuff in your current training.

5m easy today.
  • Options
    TR - Added some miles with warm up/cool down. It was a fair old way to go for sure though. I keep on saying it but you are surely due a perfect weather day having been scuppered so often. Law of averages at least!

10 miles this morning in perfect running conditions. In complete contrast to last Sundays soaking. Picked up the pace in the second half. Felt good. 

Tidied the garden this afternoon. All set for winter now having got a final mow on the lawn at the end of October!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - probably more mowing required yet, it's so warm. Feeling good is a nice place to be......would be ironic if i got a good weather day and wasnt fit enough to capitalise. Hopefully some fitness will turn up.

Had a some ached and shivers this afternoon, so the jab is kicking in.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.  congrats on getting the long run done, a good week on the endurance front for you.  The jab effects should wear off soon enough.

SJ.. good pace at the XC relays, hope your team did ok.  Sounds like a good 10 miler today too, always a bonus if the sun is out!  BTW one of my club fasties who was at Chester - he knocked 30 seconds off his 10k PB at Abbey Dash (32.46) - only good enough for 110th! 😟

Had quite a bit on today but managed to fit in 2 x 4m to bring up 55m for the week.

• Options
    Dunno if anyone else caught this former threadster on the radio a week ago https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dddv 
  • Options
    Jools - hopefully you're feeling less battered now? I'm getting fed up of dodging e-bikes/scooters, and regular bikes, on the pavements now. 

Wardi - 32:46 for 110th!!! Blimey. Good week. Your legs will come back to you in time; I'd imagine you've still got some post-mara fatigue. Strides or hillsprints should help move things along though.

TR - good week/long run to finish. I've got my jab this Saturday. Hopefully the effects of yours have worn off.

OO - sounds like you're having a hard time on holiday. Diet Coke. Tsk tsk ;)

sj - good work on the xc. Sounds like you'll have a good starting point when you bump the mileage back up.

Ended up with 75m last week. Started this one with a 4m jog / surge run yesterday. Surges were 1,3,1,7,1,5 with alternating 3 and 4 min moderate between, after 4m moderate to start, and 3m to finish.
    Averaged 7:18 for the 'recoveries', 5:13, 5:12 and 5:02 pace for the 1s, 5:37 for the 3, 5:57 for the 7, and 5:44 into a headwind and the worst rain for the 5. Rhythm felt decent.
  • Options
    Improved quite a bit, thanks.  Still need the head bandaged to keep the deepest cut clean, and a couple of the bruises are still a bit achy, but most of the muscles are much looser now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Good that you're on the mend Joolska

It was wildout there today TT, we had high winds predicted but wasn't expecting such bad weather.

RHR was still a bit high this morning so sacked off the planned session and did a 10 and 5 double today, but there was debris everywhere so a session would have been difficult anyway, copped 2 weather beatings. Will wait for RHR to be normal.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. that's a decent double if you're still not 100%.  Was a bit breezy here but sounds like you copped a blasting.

TT.. nice total for last week & a nippy session today given the conditions.

Jools.. best of luck with your recovery and hope you are left unscarred!

Blustery this morning so got out for 10m this evening in lighter winds & a bit of light rain.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - well over 100mph winds at Needles, over 70 locally, trees down etc.....I felt ok running, but not really safe to push it until HR comes down.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Jools - Good to see your improving, that was a nasty bump.
    TT - Great work and weekly total.  Good to see you with the bit between your teeth and training well and consistenly?
    SJ - Good 3k result, must have been odd just running fast as so often when running, as marathon runners we keep the lid on pace.  Nice sounding 10m too.
    Wardi - Good weather choice for the run. Its that time of year.
    TR - Nice 15m double especially when your not at full tonto.

Talking of which, very much half to middling tonto here, as my cold (not CV) has worsened since we arrived back, still coughing, sneezing, feeling generally pants.  So, decided to DNS Sundays marathon, as would need to be top tonto to run a decent time. I have had a good year (3 sub250 marathons and 2 trail marathons) and this race was really on the back of my the training of my last marathon. But can add this to the current total of 4 marathons entered but not run in 2022 - Madeira, Manchester, Madrid and now Cornwall!!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Bad luck on the cold OO, nothing to prove in Sunday's event so a sensible decision.  What have you got planned for 2023 besides London?  I assume your hols were top notch, we've booked a few days in Alicante for early Dec for a bit of R&R.
    That wind sounds vicious TR, we've had a dose of it this afternoon - so much so I cranked up the treadie for the first time since winter for my 2nd run.  Hope your RHR starts to come down soon.

Jooligan.. I believe DanA's next quiz conquest is Countdown - my wife watches every episode hoping to solve a few of the puzzles. :*

Wind wasn't too bad this morning so did an out & back 6.5m (into the wind first) down the part sheltered Sustrans route.  Just over 4m on the treadie just done watching the rain bashing against the window!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    OO - i can hear you on that decision, if only I had the 3 sub3s already under my belt. Very wise. I can add 4 DNS mara's to your 4, with another possible yet

Wardi - winds are back up strong again here

12 + 4 double here. RHR was more normal so went for the 2m easy, 10 steady hoping to get closer to 7mm than the last 2 Wednesday's (av 7.2X for 7m and 9m), which i did with av 7.07 but HR was still too high and far worse than the last 2 of these. Hopefully the CV jab is to blame, as i didnt think i was working too hard. I did this av 6.50 at lower HR at start of Sept, so have a long way to go in 4 weeks, although 4 wks ago I was just starting antibiotics, so should be a lot fitter in another 4 wks.........there is that saying that comparison is the thief of joy, but im trying to use weekly comparison to show building back to sub3 fitness.......or not. Let's see what next Wednesday turns up.

4m return toddle to give 16m total, so good time on feet.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great doubling there TR, I didn't realise the effects from covid jabs could linger.

Amazing difference in the weather from yesterday, 5m done in a sunny sky & very light winds today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i got rained on again today.......a vaccination is giving you a dose of the disease, so you will get symptoms for a while. I know a nurse that tells me to be careful after the booster as you get a bit of heart inflammation similar to the real CV. So I was monitoring my RHR, although i probably should have waited another day or so. I did 3 min reps last time and i waited an extra day this week, but maybe I needed more.

5 and 4 today. Single 5m tomorrow, long run saturday.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Change your mind as often as you change your socks. With the cold largely gone will run the marathon on Sunday now,  though maybe not race it - which means of course after a rather slow first 50 metres I will race it.  I do like this marathon and apart from the cold as a minor setback, am in pretty good nick. 

Conditions look good for a November marathon in Cornwall, 11C feels like 8C, could be wet in the second part of the race (a plus!) and 18 mph wind with the odd 30 mph gust.   Weigh in tells me I am 1 kg below normal race weight (67 kg) so that's the carbo-loading aim!
  • Options
    Careful you don't get blown away OO ;) Enjoy your pasty & hoody afterwards.
    Probably got back to it too soon post Abo: had 2 days off but today's run took me to over 100 miles in the 10 days since :D
    Garmin finally happy: Training Status = Productive after today's run.
    Not had the post Abo boost of previous years though: course PB (which still stands) at my local parkrun the following Saturday in 2016 & 1st place at Chippenham parkrun in 2018 a fortnight later despite racing Snowdonia marathon the weekend between :p
    Parkrun & a shortish fell race tomorrow. 

• Options
    OO - Go well tomorrow in what sounds like the ultimate "no pressure" marathon, if such a thing exists. 

Jooligan - Hopefully today's parkrun yields that boost. 

TR - The numbers are heading in the right direction. Another 4 weeks time should be further along. Don't push it too hard, let it come to you. 

Wardi - Weather has been so odd. My heating thermostat doesn't know if it's coming or going. 

Another up and down week at this end. Ambling along currently. Missing my club sessions due to commute so jumping on the treadmill for those. Good thing about that is I just pick a pace and hang on. 

Trying to force myself out of the door most of the time. Lots of wtfp etc. Standard for this time of year. Even some low key races on the horizon aren't lifting my spirits. I'll just keep on keeping on. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    OO - good for you, hope you go well.

Jools - sounds like you got yr peaking wrong, plenty of post Abo running.

SJ - keep ticking along, before you know it you'll be starting a Manchester build up.

5m yday, wet and windy 21m today as 8m easy, 13m steady aim was approx 7.2X, difficult to be too exact as last few miles are hilly.  Av 7.24 was where i wanted to be but HR data was ruined by all the rain getting under the wrist based optical sensor. Good to tick it off as 21m in the rain becomes a chore after a while. 78m for week with 2 more biggish weeks possible.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a well gritted out 21 miler in squally conditions TR.  Lighter winds here but it was raining pretty hard this morning and intermittent showers this afternoon.  Last Saturday was similar!

OO.. have a good run tomorrow, looks a bit wild down there so a tall windbreak might come in handy.

Jooligan.. good miles!  I sometimes wonder if I got back to it a bit too soon after Chester.  No big races planned until January so no pressure really.

SJ.. understandable to feel a bit aimless after a big marathon campaign.  I'm just ticking over here really - I haven't entered my home town10m race in 2 weeks but as it stands I might just volunteer.  My treadie got it's first workout post summer this week.

Acted as a 24 min pacer at the Parkrun today, finished in a tidy 24.00. :).  10.4m altogether with warm up & a few miles afterwards.
  • Options
    TR - Cracking long run that and in your favourite rough conditions too. Perfect volume too and as you say another couple of weeks to get some adaptations in. 

Wardi - Super pacing duties this morning. I have a a local 10 miler (hilly) and a 10k which I have pencilled in but have yet to enter. The treadmill is proving useful for sessions currently. As long as I crack up the elevation to 3-4% I can get my HR right up during the efforts. It takes some focus not to fall off when hammering it but beats the dark traffic filled streets when I can't get over to the club. 

Had a decent tempo session this morning which has given me a mental boost ahead of tomorrows 10-12 miler. Its around the middle of the week I'm struggling most. Probably tired from the 2 days in the office. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    TR - That was a really good 21m with the pacier parts spot on. Great weekly mileage too. All looking good.
    SJ - Looks like the treadmill is working really well for you. Good to see a confidence restoring tempo run. Good luck with the 10-12 mile run
    Wardi - Beautiful timing.
    Jooligan - Seems your peaking now,  a good "comeback" week.

Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. The wilder weather forecast, now 40 mph in part and the change from heavy to thundery showers has kiboshed any lingering thoughts of a sub 3 race, so as SJ says a no real-time pressure run, although would like to run at an ok pace and finish around 3.10 and wrap up warm, possibly hat, gloves, t shirt and vest. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hope the folks you were pacing didnt sit too far behind you.

SJ - tempo sounds good. You'll get used to being back in the office. It's an everyday thing for me.

OO - hope you had a good day out.
  • Options
    OO - Hope you have warmed up by now. 

TR - The combination of darker mornings/evenings and the return of the commute twice a week had messed me about. I'm sure it will settle down as you say. 

I didn't fancy the run this morning and was talking myself out of it whilst putting my shoes on. 

Muddled through in the rain and got 12 miles done but a real struggle mentally. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - well done for getting out there, best not to hang about trying to delay it, just force yourself out the door.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Cornish marathon 2022

At the start line, thunderous rain and I say to a mate I am going to take the first few miles easy and see how it goes. 
    Mile 1 6.13 - couldn't help myself. 
    Mile 2 6.23....start running with a club mate 8th/ 9th position, stays more or less the same throughout the race. Both aiming for a sub 3 time.
    Mile 10 - 66 minutes, so on pace but long way to go  most scenic part of the course, beautiful moorland views. Odd cow on the course.
    Half way 1.26.45 (this is the far easier half)
    Tummy troubles, scooby doo #1? This never happens!! 
    Mile markings coming up 400 metres short, result!
    Pacing well, hard miles going ok, making up the time on the easier miles. Bit wet and cold. 
    Mile 19 tummy troubles, scobby doo 2. Club mate runs ahead due to my "delay" I am the beast of Bodmin Moor.
    Mile 20 running solo 2:12 its on. Hardest miles now coming up, can easily takes 8-9 minutes if you blow-up.
    Keeping it steady.
    Mile 24 2.43 still 400 metres short and on for a good time. Big uphill coming.
    Mile 25 2.51 the mile measurements finally catch-up, now measuring 150 metres long.
    Keep it together and you got this, run into the start village, thankfully flat, bit of a leg stretch and finished 9th in 2.57.58 - 1 second outside my fastest time on this course set in the Tony Blair years of 2007.

Nice reception in the big village hall, good goody bag with a cracking hoodie, a Malcolm Barnecutts cirnish pasties (the best) and the warm glow of marathon runners congratulating each other.  Won a bottle of wine as first old boy and the club won the men's team prize, we had, 8th 9th 10th and 19th.

Stung by a wasp pre-race, think this gave rise to the tummy troubles. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good decision to race then. Excellent day out despite the sting and tummy trouble. Top work on a tough course.

I did 6m easy this morning. We've had some serious rain the last few days. Hosepipe ban is over.