Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    TR - sorry, I meant the stuff from about 10 years or so ago - the one that had the 12 x 3 mins, 5 x 5 mins, 6. 12, 24, 12, 6 etc (or stuff along those lines). I thought you might have a copy/version of that kicking about somewhere, but not to worry if not.

Been feeling very 'can't be arsed' this week (bit of post-Mara blues probably). Didn't run at all on Tue or Wed, and really didn't fancy it yesterday either. But I'd arranged to meet a mate after work so that commitment was enough to drag me out. Ended up doing a bit of a session too - 6 x 1k off a minute. The first one was 3'47 (which was my slowest) - the other 5 were all 3'44-3'46, so well-judged in terms of pace, and hard work too! Then managed another 10 this morn, so managed to get over my little dip I hope.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Decent session LS21.
    I’m currently managing 12.5 laps of the track each lunchtime. That’s about my lot though. Did 20M Sunday in the Brecons - mostly walking. Took til yesterday for the DOMs to ease!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LS - good stuff on the mojo boost......yes, I have got those sessions somewhere. Send me an email address via the RW messages path.

Any improvement on the knee issue Jools?

5 and 5 yday. Just the single 5m today. Hope to spin my legs a bit quicker in Sunday's 10k than i did in the 1/2 mara 2 wks ago.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best of luck for Sunday TR and hope the weather gods are on your side.  Leeds marathon up here and it looks like a sunny morning with afternoon showers/thunder.

LS21.. good to see your mojo back on the rise, that's a decent 1k session topped up with 10m today.

Jooligan.. it took me a long healing process, 7 weeks of no improvement then suddenly started to improve.  Hope you can start increasing the miles soon.

6.4 chilly miles today, felt like November!  Parkrun planned for tomorrow with a few miles added on.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Not really TR. It’s not got any worse in spite of Sunday’s outing so that’s something.
    It’s been reassuring to see you getting back to a more normal level Wardi. Hopefully parkrun will show continuing progress.
    I’ll be ploughing through the bog at my local one too. Daughter’s there again too so we can have our weekly catch up.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - weather is going to be ok here tomorrow, shame you couldn't do that Leeds mara. Charlieboy is doing it.

Hope it settles soon then Jools.

Have a good race tomorrow OO.

4m inc a few strides today. There's a danger of a few frothies later as I'm m56 today, but its a late start tomorrow at 10.30am.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I did see Charlie was on the start list, looking quite warm up here for the marathon.  Looking at the course it's quite hilly at the northern section.
    Good luck tomorrow TR and many happy returns at 56! 🍺  I'm planning on a beerio later so I'll say cheers from a distance.

Jooligan.. hope the Parkrun mudfest and daughter rendezvous went well.

Nice conditions at the Parkrun, 10-11 degrees and a light breeze.  Had a decent outing with 22.46, further progress made as a 26 secs improvement on the last one.  Made it up to 11m for the day.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Thanks and happy birthday TR, I am having a few G&Ts so have a couple. Have a good run. 

Good progress Wardi, nice to be going in the right direction.

LS21- Mojo back, sharp 1ks. That will get your top end speed back. 

Hope the PR went well Jooligan. 

Feel far chilled than normal about tomorrow's running - it's the age and as its relative local helps. I had a really good sleep last night, got all my bits for the run, sun is going to be out, just hope my piriformis behaves and I get back in time to watch the Giro TT.  Aiming for a sub 255 time, 2.53 ideally. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Exeter Marathon: 2.58.44  #8th. 

Jo Pavey did the honours and got us going. For me a race of 3 parts, first 10 miles fine, 6.25-6.30 pace, felt easy  and then my hamstrings and piriformis started to ache and tighten with pace dropping steadily to 7 mm by mile 20 and from there dropping to mile 26 in 7.30! But luckily had time on the bank and with a tight course knew i would be able to finish with a 2 something. 

Tricky course with lots of mini climbs up embankments, bridges, etc, and quite a few stop starts as you made turns and changes of direction. Legs on fire (not in a good way  :D ) in last 10K. But another sub 3 banked. Time for a decent rest to sort out my various aches. Budvar beer and a caffeine coffee on the way. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    OO - well managed sub 3 on a tricky route. Hope you get on top of the hammy and of issues, I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat. Fwiw its worth it needs more than rest in my book, it's taken me physio, exercises, mobility, strides etc. Some physio is a good place to start, to free the hammies up abit.

38.34 (av HR 151) for me, steady run at pretty even pace that felt manageable. Legs felt freer than the hm 2 wks ago. Last yr i did 38.02 av HR 157, so 6 bpm would equate to a bit in the tank. Although I did seem to lack the conditioning (and desire) to bury myself, not surprising i guess with my last 10k being 10 months ago, and im only really interested in sub3s.....but onwards and upwards, it'll have done me good training wise, which is good for sub3 prospects.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Closer than usual there OO. Well done gritting it out on a tough sounding course. Lonely run?
    Smashing time to kick off yr 57th year TR. Which shoes did you race in?
    Nice improvement Wardi - I was also 25” quicker than last week: 22:20 for token 007. Daughter just made it in time for the start & dragged her hound round in 29:35.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Thats a good time for a run when you didnt bury yourself. Yes, your right,  rest won't be enough I will need to add to it,  the physio, stretches etc, also going to rejoin the gym, swim and other fitness activities, which has been beneficial in the past. 

Jooligan - nice one on the  James Bond and that's a decent improvement.  It sure was, normally try and push for sub 6.30 in the last 5 miles, today trying to keep it under 7.15. Lonely in part as quite a bit of running back on yourself when got to see the other runners. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. great to see you continue the sub 3 streak, particularly if you were physically below par.  Hope the Budvar tasted good. 🍺 
    Re the piriformis, I tend to agree with TR.  For my upper hammy & tendon issue I've been doing single leg bridges and stretches every couple of days.  I'm sure it has helped.

A nicely controlled 10k TR, did you manage a few more beers?

Jooligan.. that's a good Parkrun improvement on a muddy course.  Re. your daughter I thought it was usually dogs that drag the runner round?  ;)

Family visit yesterday only had time for a short 5m.  It was enough to take me up to 51m for the week, first 50m+ since injured which is pleasing.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hers had had enough after 2K Wardi.
    Well done on getting to 50 - not managed that more than a couple of times this year!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - all that sort of stuff sounds like it will help. It's all a juggle though, I now have achey knees which is a worry as an older runner, but i blame all the recent rehab work.

Well done on the 50m week Wardi

Got a 10 and 5 double in today, before any doms had a chance to show up. Hopefully a few weeks decent training now, with another10k in a few weeks time, as the next measure of form and fitness.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a very decent double TR, what's the next 10k?

7m with the club tonight, first time I've felt confident enough to get out with the lads & lasses post injury.

If anyone needs some weekend viewing, night of the 10,000 pb's is on BBC red button on Saturday night.  Men's elite 10k race is normally won in 27-28 mins, girls 31-32 mins.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good to see the club run smoking jacket back out. Saturday's viewing is pencilled in.......10k is another trip to West Sussex, Worthing again, first weekend in June. Wouldn't mind a 1/2 mara again soon, but can't see any local.

Another 10 + 5 today. Touch of frost this morning, but a nice morning for a run.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    11m this morning.  Managed a few laps of the racecourse before the finely dressed punters started to arrive for race day.  Nice weather for them today.

Good double again TR.  Worthing 10k is quite a big event I hear, should be a bit of competition for the V55 crown!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good work on the 11m, distances are coming back nicely.........agreed, no danger of an m55 win in that company esp over 10k.

Another 10 (3 easy, 7 steady) and 5 today, couple of easy days now before a long run saturday.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Consistency is surely king, 3 days of 10&5, a very decent 45 miles banked  and so much better running in the sun. With you on finding a local HM, think the next for me will be in August.

Wardi - Good to see another 10m+ run, well done on having the patience to build back slowly and strongly. 

Taking it easy here whilst a few aches and pains settle, notably my right hip and piriformis.  Thhough slightly disappointed with how the last 10 miles went on Sunday, still pleased I got another bonus sub3 banked as was injured. 

In a quiet moment, worked out this was my 43rd marathon/ ultra and 27th sub 3 marathon. 
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    OO - well done on Sunday! Sounds like a tough day, so well done for gritting it out and getting it done. Hope the hips/hammy/piriformis settles down soon. Well done on the Mara streak too! 13 x sub-3s for me. Possibly unlucky, cos I'm not sure I'll make it to 14!

TR - good result at your 10k too. And belated Happy Birthday! A pretty solid week thus far too - all looking good!

wardi - nicely done re the 50 mile week! You def seem to have turned a corner now, good stuff! Good to see you feeling up to going back out with the club too. 

jooligan - good stuff on the parkrun. Nice improvement there, which is great to see!

Kind of so-so here. Think I mentioned that I really seem to have lost 10-15 secs a mile since my injury in Jan. Trying to do the right sessions etc and the effort is there, but the numbers coming back are pretty underwhelming! It was a similar story last night - the first race in a new Summer 5k series in Workington (4 races, one in May, June, July and Aug - your best 3 to count for the series). Quite a low key affair where hardly quick lads turned up. It was won in 15'xx, but I finished 6th in 19'18! I really thought it was quicker than that (I just ran and didn't look at the gadget once) - thought I'd have been 30 secs or so quicker, but there we are. Looking at my HR data I really got stuck in, so the effort was there. Just the pace wasn't. Bit frustrating but not to worry.

Off to do Chester on Sun - staying with Caz and Kelv Sat night, and then Lord Dids is running too (he's representing England in the Masters thing). So that'll be good to see a few mates. I was hopeful I might run 1'25ish, but not so sure after last night. Might re-adjust my goals somewhat!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. a fine total of long distance events done, 27 sub 3's is impressive too.  I'm currently on 34 marathons having started in '94.

LS21.. good luck on Sunday, I did notice that Lord Dids has been running well in the V60's recently.  One of our lads is running, he clocked 71 at Brass so is competing with the other fast V35's.
    BTW I was similarly sluggish after doing the Chester marathon, my Parkrun time dropped by nearly a minute.  I'm only starting to drag it back to where it was now.

TR.. good consecutive doubles, you've certainly earned a couple of easy days.

An easier day for me with 5.5m, quite humid today but nice to be out in the t-shirt & shorts again.  I have inevitably lost a bit of endurance with the lay off as the legs feel a bit tired after a MLR.  It should come back gradually so just a matter of being patient.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good time to get on top of the niggles, I want stop for long though, I struggle to move again......there's a Dorney half in June but its only 6 days after my next 10k, I have GW 4 wks after that anyway.

LS - I'm with you on the struggling to go fast, but it took me a summers worth of local races last yr to improve a bit, however without any short distance focus its a bit rude to expect to go fast, so i have to try to remember that 

Wardi - next step must be to try to get up towards a long run soon.

Just the 5m today. Trying to keep some decent volume up in order to keep my Goodwood options open for now.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - congrats on Exeter! Any idea what caused the hamstring/piriformis problem?
    No coastal runs. I left my gear at home. We did walk some of it though - we were about an hour along it from Mevagissey. Had a great time.

TR - I like that the 245 is so light. I've not looked at the predictors yet, but definitely finding the body battery and stress measurements useful. Good training, and good 10k. I've got a few coming up and can see me not going full bore for them (aside from only seemingly being able to 'get up' for a marathon, I don't think I've got full lung function back since covid still).
    Oh, and a belated happy birthday!

Wardi - good to see you getting back to it!

Jooligan - good to see improvement from you.

LS21 - the paces will come back; keep the faith. Good luck for Sunday (more for the afters than the race ;) ).

After 3 recovery weeks (0, 31, 26) I started back rebuilding on Tuesday. Nothing fancy. A 4/4 double on my easy days - Tuesday, Thursday, Friday this week. Wednesday was a 4/8 double with 4 x 800m off of 1 lap in the 8m (2:51, 51, 49, 47 - probably around current 5m-5km pace). Tomorrow I'm planning on a 'long' run with a few surges. 14m would give me 50 for the week, which would be a good start off of 5 days.

In between Jr has been cracking on. He is first year u20, but still managed to take home a bronze in the county champs 3km. The 1500m the next day was less successful, but he bravely opted to try to hang with the leaders instead of time-trialling it. They went through 400m in 63/4 seconds and he was with them up until 700m. He faded from there though and came in at 4:38. First was sub-4!
    Up until now he has basically been doing base training with a weekly relaxed/controlled track session. We're going to up the anaerobic element for a few weeks to see what that gives him for the county schools.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. sounds like your hols were enjoyable, hope the down time has refreshed you.  Great to hear of your lads continued progress.

TR.. here's the timetable for the 10,000 PB's event.  The BBC coverage starts at 8pm, if you get back from your long run in time the afternoon races will be on YouTube apparently.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TT - Age and overuse I suspect, and no S&C.  Glad you have had some super weather this week.  Good to be back into 50 mpw and to see that your son is still very much on the up. 

LS21 - My money is on Number 14 @ Abingdon.  Good luck for Sunday. 
    TR - I am looking at Dorney but for its marathon in October. 

Front-cover of the Exeter marathon photos.  That's me in the orange vest, but was followed by the other chap  for the best part of 24 miles but I didn't realise he was also mimicking me too.  You might also notice, in top muppetry I missed my head with the water! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the break TT, hope the lad keeps interested through the next few years when distractions will occur but Uni's have athletics teams.

Wardi - I wont get to watch all of those, I'll keep an eye on the later races.

Great photo OO. I pour the water into my hat. Also noted Dorney, but its 2 weeks before Abingdon, maybe I should just toughen up.

10m this morning, same 3 easy 7 steady as Wednesday. Legs felt a bit tired after but they've run a few miles this week, hopefully theres a bit left for a long tomorrow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. that pic reminds me of the old days at London marathon when they used to give out Lucozade in either bottles or pouches every 5m.  When runners got tired or in auto pilot mode a few would accidentally pour it on their head.  It doesn't make a very good shampoo!  Great photo BTW.

Hope the long run goes well tomorrow TR.

6.3m this morning, a bit cooler than yesterday.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Hilarious pic that.
    Good luck in Chester LS - my birthplace.
    Good to hear you’re back at it TT. Can’t fault your lad’s courage & ambition. He’s got an exciting journey ahead of him.
    You running every day now TR?
    24M in 6 runs over 5 days this week. All easy(ish) but chucked 3x100m strides into yesterday’s 5K & doubled the strides in today’s. Hoping for a further improvement at tomorrow’s parkrun. The course should be considerably firmer too as it had been dry all week until this evening’s thunderstorm 😂
    My daughter’s there again too. After a year off, that’s 6 in 7 weeks: think she’s finally getting the bug. 😀
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - I reckon he'll stick at it through uni, especially if he goes down the sports science route (he's split between that and Law). Hopefully you got your long in today. 

OO - great pic! Age and no S&C work has been responsible for my similar issues too I feel. I've done 15mins of weights already this week, and will do a light core session this evening or tomorrow (as with my running I'll look to build in a controlled manner).

Jooligan - it sounds like things are coming together finally for you? Nice one with your daughter. My youngest daughter said watching her brother last weekend has inspired her to start running. Apparently javelin is on the agenda too!!

Got my 14m done this morning. It wasn't my prettiest run but it's done - 4m easy, surges of 1,3,9,3,1mins with 5mins easy between, and 4.6m easy to finish. 
    The surges were 9mins @ 6:05 (probably current HM), the 3s were @ 5:55 (current 10k), and the 1s were @ 5:46 and 5:27 (5km and 1m-3km).
    The 5mins easy recs averaged 7:39, and the easy start and end were similar. So all in all executed pretty much as planned. 

Interestingly I wore the Vaporfly Next %2 for it and as with my recent races my back started to lock up, so I'm thinking my body is probably struggling dealing with the feedback from them (another reason to get some consistent s&c in my routine).