Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Perfect conditions thanks Wardi. Good news on getting another 11 done after pushing yourself yesterday. Patience has paid off.
    Very impressive tempo after that trip OO.
    Think we’re in for a lot more rain this week I’m afraid TR.
    59M week here.
    Definitely less damage to my legs from Friday than I’m used to after recent marathons - I’m sure it helped that I ran the first 8M at 8:1x pace & the next 8M (the fastest) were at 7:5x pace before dropping back to 8:xx slipping to 9:xx at around 23M.
    Entries for Newport open on Tuesday which is going to be my Spring marathon.
  • Options
    Good evening all,

TT - Sorry to read of some general malaise over the past few weeks but it sounds like you are through that and ticking along nicely once more. I've heard only great things about Coros. I like the sound of you plan. I really enjoy building back now and see it as a real stress-free period of training. Hope Jnr's knee issues are well and truly behind him too. I'm going to pace my lad in a 10k at the end of November. He's made for running. Perfect, effortles form. He'll be a much better runner than I ever was if he sticks with it.

TR - Noted a more than decent effort with a 21 miler and minimal knee discomfort, then backed up with a 10 miler the next day. Great to see. Also, good to read the 10x3 mins staple session also completed with not too much fuss. The extra s&c seems to be paying dividends. A confidence building 20 this last weekend too if not what you were strictly after. Fisherman's cottage/Devon sounded great btw. FWIW I've ditched the mlr over the last 12 months. I didn't enjoy doing them and they always felt compromised by time.

OO - Tenerife certainly delivered with the warm weather training and jet skiing. Fantastic! Your staple training runs coming out again as well. The tempo run being so controlled bodes well.  Lists. I make lots of them but mostly work or diy related. Maybe its time for me to start my own bucket list. That's an impressive target before you're 60. Awesome.

Wardi - Also spotted a couple of longer runs from yourself which must be very pleasing and welcome. Good to get back training with the group too.  Nicely back at parkrun and backed up with the club race. Things looking up 

Jooligan - Huge congrats and kudos with the fundraising and the 50k on the track. Brilliant effort mate. For some reason I knew as I read on that you might back that up with parkrun and something on the Sunday after ! Also, belated congrats on the parkrun gold a week or so back. Going further back... I was surprised at myself for my pacing being a little off at Amsterdam. A contrast to Manchester's near perfect run in April. It is what it is.

I didn't feel like running until last Thursday. A very slow 4 miler where my quads and hammys could still be felt slightly. I also ran 10k Saturday and yesterday as my legs seemed to be coming back to me. Will look to get back out there a bit more this week.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds positive Wardi. I had beers after the 20m, as well as beers the night before. Just need to switch out luco for some now too.

Jools - nice, I'd defo do Newport if  i lived where you do.

SJ - good to see you. I was good at doing mlrs right up to 17m a few years ago but they were after work commutes, my current preference is to run further in the morning but only have about 90mins max after going walkies first, so only 10 to 12 but sometimes do 5m home later in the day, I only tend to do 6 or 7m tops now in evening commutes now. Preferences change, mlrs can be tedious.

Bsck on the commutes today, bike in and run home, so a bit more knee strain than last weeks pancake flat running. We'll see how it goes. Back on the S and C from tonight too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    10 (2 easy, 8 steady) and 5 today, which means being back out in the commute country lanes. There's a low point which can collect rain and I've had a 10 to 15 metre splash through standing water at times, must have been 50 metres today, worse ive seen in all the years of biking and running round there.......with a named storm coming in tomorrow to top it up a bit more.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. thanks, yes my recovery is slowly improving.  My clubmate who set off too fast in the York marathon is struggling a bit with his recovery.  HR too high and feels a bit washed out.  I told him to take it easy until his body settles down.  Good to see you're back out there again.

TR.. work commutes can be a decent use of time.  My old run commute used to pass the tempting 'takeaway alley', 5 food outlets in a 50 metre radius!

Jooligan.. very wet & soggy up here this week too, Sunday looks like the only dry day.  How 'big' is the Newport marathon?

5m easy yesterday, 2m wet, 3m dry!
    11m today, rain jacket required throughout.  I can see flooding being a problem this week if the wet stuff doesn't ease off.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Day off running yesterday but managed an hour each of swimming, walking & mountain-biking in that order. Lovely weather throughout - rain came in overnight.
    Similar weather today though there was a heavy shower in the morning before I got out. A hilly half marathon done on trails & lanes with three hill climbing efforts. Average pace was ruined by a poor route choice at 8M. My planned ‘shortcut’ was completely unrunnable but I was committed by then. Started ok on a slippery grass footpath for half a mile but the forest road I was expecting to find turned out to be knee deep bog with massive ruts so I had to fight my way through the woods for the next half mile or so before the track turned into hard packed gravel. 30 minutes for that mile 🤣
    Went up the track this evening for 4M with 6x500m tempo off 2:30 easy. Finished just before the heavens opened. 😀
    Makes this my biggest month of the year: 264 miles
    Entered Newport 28/4/24
    Wardi: It’s pretty big: closed roads, 10K on the same day & lots of local support. They had 3,500 finishers in 2018 but this dropped to 2,100 in ‘19 & ‘21 before dropping further to 1800 in ‘23. That clashed with Manchester & probably suffered from the cancellation of the Autumn ‘22 edition. 
    The price isn’t big yet though: I got in for £41.34 inc booking fee which is very reasonable these days.
  • Options
    Morning all. Was away for a mini break and then came down with the horrendous cold that has been sweeping through the house. Probably also explains why the steady section on Saturday was a touch slower than Thursday.
    Upright and back to work today so will do some type of run even if it's only a jog. I guess this will be one of the big benefits of using the HRM.

TR - good long run at the weekend. 

Wardi - nice on the parkrun. Good to have a marker and you don't seem to have lost much. And good consistency on the weeks.

OO - lol re: Baldrick's war poem. Good week from you and good pace on the longer one!

Jooligan - I've said it before, but I'll say it again; you're obviously made of harder stuff to be able to recover that well. Nice one with Newport. I've been hearing good things about it.

sj - yeah, Jr seems to have bounced back well with no knee complications; cheers. Nice one with the 10km with your lad. My days of pacing mine or gone; it'll be head to head now on the odd occasions we toe the same line!
    Downtime post target race is a must in my book. Good to see you're ready to start going again.

Bit of a random one, but do any of you know where I can find a track 10km race between now and next April/May that'll be on Power of 10? Jr needs one for his A-level PE.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Jools - That sounds an exciting hilly half marathon run!  Snap, see you @ Newport, also entered.  I do like the course, flat and very easy going.   There's a HM this year too. Your right, real bargain. 
    Wardi - 56m nice, consistently consistent is the magic formula. Good start to the week with 11m banked. 
    TR - Some decent training again, nice on the 10&5 commute double, tomorrow will be interesting with the storm nearly here.
    SJ - Good to see your batting your way back into it.
    TT - Sorry can't help with the track 10K. 

10m y'day and 7m earlier.  As entered Newport and applied for GFA for London, will try 2 marathons on consecutive Sundays.  I need to run 6 sub 3 marathons in 2024 to hit my 30 by 60 target. I've run 6 before but also in 2024 am running the Verbier trail marathon so hope stay relatively injury free.  So you may well be seeing me in Barca Wardi. 145 October miles for me, a combination of marathon recovery and injury depressing the total,
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    11m is good distance Wardi

Jools - going well, nice one. Legs are bouncing back.

TT - hope you're back to top form soon.

OO - Newport could be a tough run then, you'll have to reign it in a bit at London. You could do with someone slowing you down at London, possibly someone who had run Brighton 2 weeks before.

10m today, biked home. Back on the Hills, s and c and bike has unsurprisingly flared my knee up a bit. Short and easy tomorrow.
    Decided id give the 50 metre splash a miss today and go via the Ford as it has a bridge to go over if the ford is a bit deep.......the ford was 3 ft deep and I had to go through standing water to get to the bridge over the deep stuff........the storm hasn't arrived yet either.
  • Options
    I wonder who that could be TR? Lol. Jeez, eventful run home. 

Thinking the Gran Canaria marathon could be a close sub 3 call, so back out in the passing rain and wind for 5m tonight, and also.ordered some SIS Beta fuel gels, 40g of cards vs 25g for the race. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. sounds rough down your way for the next two days.  Good work getting 10m done, not often the North escapes the worst of it!

OO.. would be good to see you in Barca.  The Expo is in the same place but the start & finish are now near their Arc de Triomphe. (we plan to stay in the latter area).  Dan A was hoping to attend though this would depend on child arrangements, injury condition and his burgeoning TV quiz career!

TT.. hope that pesky cold has gone and you enjoyed the break.  Good luck with resuming training where you left off.  

7m + 3.5m double today.  Quite a nice dry day up here with a stiff breeze.  Got my first full pension payment today, my school days do suddenly seem a very long time ago!
  • Options
    OO - you're lining yourself up for a big year with 6 x sub-3 and a trail marathon! You could always rock up at Goodwood next month and tick another one of those off?

TR - that sounds a mess down your way! IIRC from previous comments I think we were in your vicinity over the weekend (stayed at Gunwharf Quays), and it was pretty wild by the harbour Saturday night!

Wardi - congrats? on the first pension payment. Tempis fugit! On that note my eldest turned 25 over the weekend - that threw me as it seems like yesterday I was that age myself!

Got out for 4m yesterday. I had my classic post-viral issues with aching muscles and tendons. It takes a lot to make Mrs TT and I bedridden so thinking it was more likely flu or covid rather than a horrendous cold (we've both been recently jabbed against both). I'll play it by ear getting back to things.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    TT.. good that you got out yesterday, a run almost always makes me feel better if I've been under the weather.  Yes the pension arrival is a bit of a shock but it all adds to the retirement fund!

Had an easier day today with 5.2m earlier.  Got a bit of a soaking for the first 3m but ok after that.  Some parts of my regular country lane had big puddles and one corner was completely covered in about 3 ins of water.  I won't moan about it too much though as it does sound like the south has had it much worse.  How are you coping down there TR?
    Our river is rising again but no flooding yet. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good one on the mileage top up

TT - agreed, I ran along there on Saturday and the sea was coming over the defences. Lots of lurgies about, hope you feel better soon.

Wardi - nice one on the new salary. It was wild here over night, we had a power cut. Lots of coastal damage and disruption all along the South.

5 and 4 today, easier day, got a bit of lurgy and raised RHR at the mo.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    TT - Don't tempt me further!  My son reached 25 recently too (his present the 10k in Gran Canaria!) , amazing how quickly that time has passed by. 
    TR - Take it easy now.
    Wardi - Be good to see Dan, ain't seen him, since we had our mini thread meet in Valencia 2017!

Pretty wild day yesterday, well done for getting out there.

Calmed down a touch here late afternoon, and needed a decent tempo session so 8.5 inc 10K @ 6.30 mm in an old pair of VF, pleased with that.  A few easy days now, and then a training HM on Sunday, a pacy 5m the Sunday after and good to go for Gran Canaria which is looking more inviting by the minute as another storm approaches.
  • Options
    Wardi - extra trainer funds? ;) Parts along our country park are starting to flood now after the last few days. 
    The biggest problem I've got is that the last two storms have moved a job way up my 'to do' list - dodgy guttering/waste water installation by previous owners that basically empties right next to the wall in a park rather than drains away. It has created quite a mess internally.

TR - cheers. Hopefully yours clears off sharpish! It was kind of beautiful to watch the wildness of it breaking over.

OO - nice present for Jr! Good tempo too!

I took yesterday off - too much risk for too little reward trying to run in that weather feeling like I did. Definitely the right choice as a 4m jog to HR this morning saw me over 9m/m for the second half!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    OO - good going on the 10k. Another storm heading towards UK?

TT - good listening to body. The seafront and promenade took a beating and was broken up in places, with the beach on the road.

Was a nice morning and felt ok after a few miles so 10 and 5 today, not really interested in tapering for Sunday as its more of a training run, but might have to revise the plan to meet the spo afterwards as not sure which parts of Hayling are closed off after the storm went through, and I don't want to carry a phone.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. good thinking on the trainers, I do have a couple of new pairs already waiting in the wings but no harm in splashing out if I see a bargain!  Hope you can get back to your normal training schedule soon.

OO.. that's a good pace for the 10k section.  Don't blame you for looking forward to Gran Canaria, a bit of winter warmth is always welcome.  Re Valencia, a small group of my club's fast lads are going to Valencia next month.  I've told them to expect a pretty stacked field around 2.30-2 45.

TR.  hope you get back to rude health soon.  I assume the weather has calmed down a bit today?

6.5m this morning.  Thankfully a dry day if a bit breezy.  If I do Parkrun tomorrow that will be No.249.  The cunning plan is to run No.250 next Saturday which is the same day as my club's annual dinner, prize giving and dancing.  Should be able to get a few clubmates along to help celebrate the occasion.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Wardi - Valencia, a very pricey marathon these days. But a great opportunity to run with other fast lads. A great plan for your 250th PR. 
    TR - A nice 15m. Good luck tomorrow with your 10 mile race/ training run.

After a 10.5m run from home to Padstow and back on the trail, have a busy day today so calling a rest day. As I am in the trai(n)pering phase, can't imagine missing a 4m easy would do me any harm. The party tonight, a different matter. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- next weekend sounds good

OO - agreed, that party might do you some harm.

4m easy. More gales and rain here. Hopefully tomorrow will still be on, but its super wet everywhere.
  • Options
    How’d parkrun go Wardi?
    That does sound like flu/Covid TT. Well done on resting and then keeping it real easy after. Hopefully that’ll help a swifter recovery.🤞
    You’re enjoying great weather for 🦆🦆 TR 🤣 Think it’s drying up here for the rest of the weekend. Have a good run tomorrow. 
    Took Thursday off as it was so grim out & I’d done another MLR Wednesday. 7M out (easy) & back (10x15” strides off 2’+) along the Kennet & Avon towpath yesterday.
    12M today including a 20:19 at the newish Radstock parkrun. It’s along an old railway line: half mile out turn back to start then turn & run a mile out to a further cone turn before heading back. Marginally up on the outward legs of each lap so a bit of gravity assistance once things are getting tough at the end. Happy to get closer to 19:xx. Hopefully find another 20 seconds before the end of the year.🤞
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.  that's encouragingly close to a sub 20, nicely done and a good day's mileage too.

OO.. I did manage to get an early bird price for my Barca entry.  65 euros seems quite reasonable compared to a lot of marathon prices now.  Nice work on the Padstow out & back run, my local Sustrans route is useful for return runs, quite well sheltered from the elements too.

Parkrun turned out to be the best part of the day here.  Light breeze and almost sunny when I arrived.  Legs felt a bit heavy so set off at a more restrained pace than last week.  It did pay dividends as I ended up with a Bubka-esque 3 second improvement on last week (23.16 vs 23.19).  10.6m for the day after a w/u and a few miles afterwards. The weather went downhill very quickly after 11am so pleased I  got the miles done early doors.  

One of the regular York Parkrunners reached 350 runs today.  A creature of habit, he's run them all at York racecourse!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Getting back to it nicely now Jools

Wardi - progress for you too.

So Hayling 10m as a tester after knee trouble, and a bit of lurgy (still got high RHR), aiming for arond 6.40s which is approx mp or a smidge quicker, hopefully feeling i had more in the tank. Ended up having a bit of a sense of humour failure that they'd let this race go ahead with the Billy trail filthy, standing water and sections of path which had the beach on it. Sliding around on shingle isnt ideal knee rehab. Last 3 were into a fair old wind too........but 66.01 av 6.36 so job done, knee was manageable. Although not sure how much I had in the buffer as HR data failed to record. Didnt feel like i had much in reserve, but i didnt turn up fresh. Anyway good to be back at. Gosport HM in 2 wks. I need to convince myself I can go quicker by then.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a decent time on a weather beaten course TR, promising that the knee behaved too.  Should also be a good fitness boost for the Hayling HM.

After yesterday's wet weather today has been a complete contrast with sunny skies.  13m done which has taken me up to 61m for the week.  First 60+ for a long time, worth a modest celebration with a beerio or two later.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    TR - You passed the test. Nicely done and good pace, especially running on a far from optimal track. A good stimulus for the Gosport half. You will go quicker. 
    Wardi - 65E is very good for a prestigious city marathon. Great work on the 61 mpw, always a good landmark to reach. Pretty decent PR time too.

After much prevarication, went out in the fading light for an easy 10m not the 10m tempo planned as just not in the mood, for 51 m for the week and tapering now starts. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 13 and 61 Wardi

OO - good man for getting out there, I wouldn't be able to force myself out late on a Sunday. Yes, with improved weather, course, health and a bit of a taper ive got more to give. I've run 10m in training in that sort of time as 10m mp in a 20, so it's not the sort of time id expect to see in a race, so makes you doubt your fitness.
  • Options
    TR - well dug in on a crap course in poor conditions. I'm sure you'll be feeling much fresher by Gosport - btw do they still have a twisty bit around cones on (I think) an airfield?

Wardi - Black Friday coming up too so you should get more bang for your buck. Ever heard of the Scott trainers? I see Sportsshoes have some of their carbon offering dirt cheap (none in my size unfortunately).
    Well done on both the parkrun and the week! Returning to volume and form in a nice and controlled manner.

Jooligan - coming along nicely. 

OO - you're doing well to keep moving along with that foot - how is it now?

Very up and down from day to day here, so the weekend was just an easy 5m on Saturday after a full day of fixing dodgy plumbing ahead of a new washing machine after the last one kicked the bucket (I'd have been ashamed to put my name to what was done previously: lots of wires with some exposed insulation over and under pipes with ruined isolation valves). It's better now (i.e. safe), but whenever we redo the kitchen I'll need to fix all the plumbing and wiring in there, so there's that to look forward to! Lol.

Pretty sure after today that I most likely had covid (probably a mild version or dampened down by my recent vaccination booster). Planned a long run at 70% of eventual volume in zone 2, which before lurgy was coming in at 7:42-8:00 (slower for longer runs, which is why I'm HR training). Today it was 8:18 average for 14m, and once my HR started spiking it became incredibly difficult to keep down - I'd considered doing the upper end of my target, which was 16m, but there was nothing to gain by tagging on another 2m at an increasingly hard to control HR).

Will get in the gym later and get back on the back improvement work.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - wouldn't be surprised if you've had CV, lots of it about.........no more running on airfield, i think it's  been built on in some places. Two laps of up and down the prom nowadays, at the mercy of the wind though.

10m tonight. Legs felt good, knee is a bit aggravated, some of that might be due to the sliding about yday.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Well run TR in less tha ideal conditions. I hate it when the footing isn't assured. Takes all the zip out of your stride.

Another taper reached OO. Glad to see your body is holding up.

Nice diy repairs TT. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Good to see the weekly mileage back up to usual figures Wardi.

Nice parkrunning Jooligan. Nice To have some numbers to target too. Wishing you continued improvements.

Quiet last week for me. 25 or so miles. Mostly very easy. Went too hard on the s&c midweek over two sessions and put my legs back into post marathon soreness. Better now after an 8 miler saturday out and back with steady last 4 miles. Decided I'd walk 9 miles with Mrs SJ On Sunday in deference to the 10 mile run I had planned. Gave my legs a bit more of a rest and I enjoyed the walk more than I suspect I would have enjoyed the run.

For my big birthday I'm considering 50k on my local track. It will be the end of January so don't fancy a cold and damp trot around the Peak District because a) I'm fair weather and b) logistically it would be more organisation. I can tip up at the track and tick the laps off. Mini SJ has even agreed to jump in and out to help the laps tick by.

Having said that, 125 laps of the track is also going to be mentally challenging. I quite fancy spreading my wings a little next year. I've agreed to run the Yorkshire 3 peaks in June so maybe the 30k in January is a nice little opener into that world. Or I'm bonkers!! 

Just back from work so I think I'll hop on my treadmill as its grim outside... 
  • Options
    Having just done it SJ I can assure you that a track 50K is straightforward enough. Company is good but only if you/they maintain pacing discipline as that’s the key to getting round in one piece & enjoying the experience.
    Day off today as I trashed my legs with 7.3M MT mountain race yesterday. Definitely more damaging than the track ultra 🤣 due to over 1500’ of climb & equally crazy descents.
    I was 27th of 146 & 5th super-vet (of 21) so a reasonable performance though probably 30-40s a mile slower than I used to be a year or two back.