Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TR - lol @ the ironic gig comment! Unfortunately we didn't make it in the end as Mrs TT has had a flare-up of her long covid symptoms. Nice 6m section in that MLR.
    I've got a pair of VF2 with almost 300m on them. They're holding up remarkably well, but yeah, I'd agree with your 'soft training shoe' description.

Wardi - great week from you. Well done! Her acoustic stuff is great; really highlights how good her voice is. I was at Dublin the 2 years either side of you.
    '94 there was a mix-up - I'd offered, in January, to run it for our youth club to raise funds if they let me know within 2 weeks (I'd stopped training in December). I'd stopped going to club as I was doing my Leaving Cert (A levels here), so the next I heard was 2 weeks before the race when the woman running the club came to the house and told me that they'd raised loads of funds and did I need anything else? Lol.....
    I had my first run for about 10 months, and ended up running 3 x 5m in the 2 weeks leading into the race as 'training'. It ended up being the race that brought me here though - I remember going through the first mile in 5:3x thinking 'sh*t, too fast', the next 2 minutes slower and thinking 'too slow'. It took me a few miles but I averaged out to being on a sub-3 pace as I came out of the Phoenix Park which was just before the 20m marker. And then things went a little wrong.... My hammy cramped so bad that it basically popped out of place. The ambulance people wanted me to stop but after a few 'words' they accepted I wouldn't. The last 10km ended up taking an age as every time I tried to run my hammy went again so I settled into a fast walk and got around in 3:54.
    '97 was a bet. I'd just started playing football again and a teammate mentioned he was doing Dublin and I recounted the above. He said it was impossible to do one without training, I bet him it wasn't. Got around that in an even 4:04, and was out clubbing that night without any of the problems of 3 years previously.

LS - that sounds like one of those runs that reminds you why we do this! Nice one!

Jools - great to see you back at it post knee issues! Well done for admirable patience - by now I'd have thrown my toys out of the pram and eaten all the pies!

My purple patch was definitely late 2013/14. 2 x HM pb' (72:41, 72:10) and a Marathon pb (2:27:48) in 6 weeks in autumn 2013. June '14 I ran 2:29:51 to win the closest I've got to a hometown marathon (done the hard way as I went through halfway in 72:19 - still my second quickest ever HM), before a 2:28:35 in Frankfurt (where if personal circumstances had been different I reckon I'd have run 2:25:xx). I ended up nationally ranked for 3 years (12-14), and even somehow got a World Athletics ranking in '13 and '14 (which I only found out years later when Jr asked me where I'd have been ranked in the world at my quickest and I realised I could actually answer it!).

Going sub-2:30 a few years later at 40 probably felt better though as I had more appreciation for it then (also put me 2nd v40, and 17th overall in Ireland).
  • Options
    Right, reminisicing over.... 
    I didn't get the longish one I'd planned on Friday as by the time I'd done the new venture set-up I had minimal time before seeing the chiropractor. Ended up fitting in 9m as 2 easy, 4 steady (6:50), 2 cMP-ish (6:16), 1 easy, and then another 5m easy later. 
    Saturday was an easy 12m, with Sunday off, to give me 77m, which was my biggest for 18 weeks apparently. Another 15m or so of measured longer dog walks too across the week.

Hopefully more of the same, plus gym work, this week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. an amusing tale from Dublin '95.  My mate had run it too, he somehow
     ended up with 2 plaques in his finishers bag.  He promptly donated the spare to our B&B host Frank, a 75 yr old chain smoker.  He took it round to his local pub attempting to convince his mates that he had run the Dublin marathon.  I don't think his blarney was believed.  :)
    BTW that's a good week bagged, hope you can keep the consistency going.

5m easy this morning, heavy rain first thing but managed to miss it by setting off a bit later
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - 77m is getting there, esp off 6 days.

5m easy for me. Gfa results were announced today, they reduced it by 5mins so sub 255 for an under 40 male, which is a solid time to achieve.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    I've really enjoyed reading about our runs from memory lane, that 2.43 is special LS and some amazing times/places TT.  One of my favourites is Valencia 2017, a PB, a wonderful city and a thread meet-up immortalised in Joe Bloggs excellent blog: https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/22/valencia-marathon-19-11-2017/  Get well soon Joe!

Some great mileage TT & Wardi, well done. Keep it going. 
    TT - Good luck with the online coaching.
    Good to see,  Joolska.

Lurgy here, feel proper ill.  London GFA came through yesterday, yes TR, 5 minutes was some challenge. I think you intend to run it too?  
  • Options
    OO - the lurgy might be a blessing in disguise - it'll take away the temptation to do stuff and leave you heal. Hopefully you feel better soon though, and thank you re: the coaching. 

Wardi - that is quality! And completely unsurprising! I bet he got at least one drink just for giving people a good laugh.

TR - are you going to do Brighton as well or all eggs in the London basket?

I've had to contact London as despite being almost 25minutes inside the cut-off for my age group I've not had an email either way.

10m yesterday as 2 very easy, 5 steady (6:48), 3 easy. There was supposed to be a much bigger steady block in there but I just didn't feel right (post-covid hangover I think) so played sensible.
    Very easy 9m this morning (8:13). Was under-dressed though so got very cold and stiff.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Ow do all,

TR - hope the taper is going ok? Few days out yet, but how's the forecast looking? Pretty good up here - just very cold! 

wardi - well done on an excellent long run and weekly total. Really getting back to it now. Building nicely for the Barca prep.

TT - enjoyed the Dublin stories! Well done on the ranking thing too - that's really outstanding, and something you should be immensely proud of. A quirky one for me - my London debut was 2011 and I ran 2'49. I was the first 'Smith'. About a month later I did the Sheffield Half, finished maybe 9th or 10th overall and I wasn't even the first 'Lee Smith' there!! Ha!! An excellent week last week too - good man!

Nice to see joolska popping in, and well done re the comeback. Very patient as others have said. Hopefully you can kick on a bit now.

Hope jooligan is ok too? He was struggling the last time he posted.

OO - sorry to hear you're not too well. There's loads of nasty colds and the like going round though. Lovely pic on Joe's blog. Reminds me that I ran quite a lot of London 2017 in his immediate vicinity (when he ran it in swimming trunks). I didn't know him then, but it's something you remember! The crowd loved it!

Sort of just ticking over here. I've felt like I've been staving off a cold for a good couple of weeks. I thought I would succumb from the effort of racing Brampton (but didn't), but it got me at the weekend! I did a bit of a session on Sat morn - nothing silly, but 3 x 1 mile efforts (6'00, 6'01, 6'02) and 3 x 3 minutes as part of a 9 mile run. Session was ok actually, It was bitterly cold again (-5 on the car driving to the shop) but I was well wrapped up. Anyway, I then had a busy day at work, and then late afternoon I drove down to Manchester for another gig with my daughter (a band called 'Hot Milk', who are her faves). It was good actually. They played Manchester Academy and it was sold out. But it meant another really late night - exacerbated by the M6 being closed on the way home. Eventually got in about 2:00am - and the next morn I felt pretty rough. It was just a cold, but I had quite bad sinus pain/pressure. My eyes were streaming and my teeth really hurt! I really wasn't up to doing anything much, but I bought some Sinutab tablets Mon morn and they seemed to ease the pressure/sinus pain a fair bit. Felt a bit better in the afternoon (although still pretty coldy) but was up to running home, so did that (just easy peasy pace). That was 8 miles, then I've done another 10 this morn - again -5 driving in. Glorious morning though. An epic sunrise over the fells towards Buttermere, so glad I could get out.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - was cold in the lanes here this morning, but not as cold as where you are........Sunday looks similar to last year, hopefully less wind with less of a windchill, can't be any more grim than it was last year........can it?..........but to be fair that run secured my gfa place this week. I was wondering wether to do the 1/2 Sunday as the recent race times were weather ruined, but its an opportunity to get a 2025 GFA in, so that might sway me. Can swap on the day.

I have a Brighton place already, but I've accepted the London place, I like to kid myself that i could run both as sub3s 2 weeks apart.......then I remember that I struggle to complete one mara in a whole year. We'll see nearer the time.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good TR - maybe just see on the day eh? Good stuff re the possible London/Brighton double. I’ve doubled up a couple of times in the past but I think I had 5 weeks between races both times. I think I’d struggle with only 2. 

Just checked the forecast here. The feels like temp is -11 in the morning where I live. On Thu it’s -13! 😆

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LS - blimey, that's a bit parky. Not a shorts and vest day!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Shiver me timbers LS21, get the duffle coat out!  It was 3 degrees on my run this morning, toasty by comparison.
    FWIW my closest 2 marathons were 5 weeks apart, the 2nd one was 2 mins quicker from memory.

TT.. hope you can resolve the GFA situation, I guess with over 6000 entries a few will get missed.

OO.. get well soon, it is often said the body is weak in the 2 weeks after a marathon

TR.. congrats on the GFA, if the weather is good on Sunday I'd say give it a go.  I've done the Brass Monkey up here in 1-2 degrees a couple of times.

My club have 5 runners at Valencia on Sunday, should all be between 2.25 - 2.50 on a good day.  Temps look ideal, sunny, 8-14 degrees, 4-8 mph winds.

10m + 4m double today.  Chilly but the sun was out this morning, I did feel a bit of ice under foot early on, otherwise a nice run.  Squeezed a second run in after a few home duties.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    TT - Thats annoying, hope it gets sorted quickly.
    LS21 - Ouch.  Cold but sounds very beautiful too, especially with last nights huge moon. 
    Wardi - Your on a roll, great double.  Your are right about post-marathon vulnerability but normally I've been OK.  Valencia should be a good watch for your club. 
    TR - See how it looks on the day sounds right.  A 1/2 is a proper challenge in itself. 

Doubling - I've doubled 2* 2 weeks apart (Manc/ Lond & Paris & Lond) with the second marathon (London) being a minute+ quicker.  For 2024, am considering the  London & Newport double, a week after. 

Off to London later, have taken my running stuff as staying close to Hyde Park which I love running around, although will be a short one today.    
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    LS - bit frosty then! I mentioned to Jr about the temps up your way and he's now reconsidering his uni choices "if that's standard the further north you go"  :D
    Nice mix of training from you! I get sinus issues every time I get colds and find the Beconase nasal spray helps a lot. Glad to hear you're feeling better, and good to read you seeming livelier in yourself too!
    The London Smith/Sheffield Lee Smith story made me laugh! I think the further I get from the ranking stuff the more it means to me. At the time I was just annoyed that I never made the top 10, which looking back just seems a little ridiculous to me now, but I've got a very good track record at not being particularly kind to myself or appreciating stuff like that. Even my first marathon win I'd told myself I was going to win it, so when I did it was hard to appreciate because I'd 'only' done what I'd said I would. Quite frankly daft tbh.

TR - if you can manage it then fair play. I tried 3 weeks apart early on and found that too close. 4 weeks was doable, though I trained through the second one (but was still early enough in my running that I managed to pb both). 

OO - a week apart! You have got much sturdier legs than me to even consider it!

Wardi - nice doubling! In case you're unaware, Valencia is being streamed live on iPlayer!

I got London sorted just a few minutes ago. They said that I had never received an email because I was on a list that had allegedly marked them as Spam. I double checked and told them I hadn't, asked them to resend the email, and lo and behold, it arrived.

Got back in the gym yesterday evening finally. Mixed weights and back/hip mobility work. Need to make it a regular occurrence now.
    Plan for today is a (light) double workout day. My training is at a place where I'm following principles rather than a fixed schedule, so this morning was 9m with 5m steady with 2 sets of pickups of {1', 2', 3'} starting a pickup every 5 minutes after the first 0.5m of steady. Averaged 6:31 for the 5m section with the pickups being about HM-ish effort. 
    I can see track being iced off this evening but if it goes ahead the plan will be something around cMP-ish most likely. Maybe a touch quicker.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. thanks re Valencia, good to see it get some coverage over here.  A sigh of relief over your GFA place!  Hope you get to the track, I didn't detect any ice here this morning.

LS21.. I understand the ladies go wild for frosty stubble so keep those early doors runs going.   :)

6.5m earlier, cold but a bright sun made for an enjoyable out and back down the Sustrans route.  I did end up doing another 4m later as Mrs Wardi fancied a run out.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - Good news re the gfa

LS - I had a similar photo earlier this year, proper icy.

OO - enjoy Hyde park. A few years ago my youngest played a county cricket game at Blackheath, I ran around the heath and parks, which seemed really strange with cars about etc

Was cold here this morning Wardi

6m inc 6x3mins.
  • Options
    Wardi - Valencia seem to have been quite smart in how they've grown their profile over the last few years. Nice doubling.

TR - how're you feeling about Goodwood distance now?

LS - The Prodigy have been announced as a main stage act for Reading and Leeds Festivals, just fyi.

Followed up my mini session yesterday with 5km on track in 18:22. Worked through the gears just trying to be some bit sensible/restrained, and to see where I am. First 4 laps were 91s/lap, which is probably about current HM pace. Slight lift for the next 4 @ 90s, but then all of a sudden felt really good so strode out for the last 4.5 to average 84s. Wore the Takumi Sen hoping that the grip would offset any track slippiness and they were awesomely grippy.

4 clubmates done the Battersea 10km last night. Dachs was 2nd in 33:15 followed by 3 pb' @ 33:18, 34:25, and 34:34. Strength in depth is starting to look good at the club. The 33:18 runner is a mate who I'm going to be coaching for London so it'll be interesting to see how much we can improve his marathon pb by.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. that's an encouraging 5k on the track, more so as you managed to pick up the pace in the latter stages.
    Looks like a good crop of speedsters at Reading RR.  The fast crew at my club are all good mates and push each other in training & races.  What we have learned is that as we have gained more fast runners the more it attracts.
    Our ladies section isn't anywhere near as strong.  The daughter of one of our ladies ran 2.43 at London but we can't persuade her to part from her current York club as she's been there since her early teens.  Her fiancé is a sub 31min 10k runner from Leeds City so I guess she gets a lot of good advice!

Colder than yesterday here with a light snow covering this morning.  Had an easier day with a single 5.3m run.  I'm out tonight for a pizza & beer for a friend's birthday.  I always think they taste better after I've burned a few calories off!  

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - nice progressive 5k, shoes sound good.......re the distance change, tgey are pretty helpful, I've swapped on the day before and in advance. I checked this week and they said i can collect a HM number on the day from info desk if i want to swap.

Wardi - pizza and beer sounds good

Horrible sleepy bike commute this morning then 4m easy home tonight. Hammies are feeling tight, mayve due to no weights this week?
  • Options
    Wardi - totally agree on 'earned' treats tasting better. That's a pretty speedy couple!! It'd be nice if I could get back in the mix with the faster guys again; the last week or two it feels like it might not be totally outside the realms of possibility as I'm definitely feeling like my fibro is more under control finally.

TR - that's pretty decent of Goodwood. Not many races want to be that helpful lately. I'd looked at the February one until Jr reminded me that my club's 10m/20m event is the same weekend so I think I'll do the 20m there as part of some convoluted training run.

I've decided not to go to Seville in the end. The logistics and costs were getting ridiculous as my wife has had some work stuff that changed her time off, so to get flights at the right time were going to cost in the £500 range, with a pricey hotel the night before to enable a 3am start. The only cost I'd invested was the race entry fee, but if we'd gone ahead it would have been around £1.5k just to do one race, which I can't justify.
    So all eggs in the London basket now.

11m very easy / 5m jog yesterday. I'm 2m ahead of where I was after 4 days last week, so pretty consistent.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    TT - Great to see you put together a consistently good couple of weeks.  It wont be too long until your giving your clubs fast boys a run for their money/ beating them again. Good call on Seville, that's too much £.   My oversea races tend to be c£300 which I can justify.  I am not convinced myself I can do marathons a week apart, 2 weeks sure. 
    LS - Great photo - what we do for our sport eh! Some pacy splits in your Saturday session, looks like it won't be too long until your happily in the 5's with these, thats the promised land. Nice one. 
    TR - Best of luck with what ever distance you decide to run. 
    Wardi - Agreed. Doing the same today as its my wifes' works Xmas party tonight.

The Hyde Park run/ London visit didn't happen as each railway station I went too to catch the train, had full/ over-flowing car parks so unable to park legally! So, as a opportunity benefit was able to wfh, run a pleasant 5m in the icy sun and book tickets to a "Tribute Act" music festival held less than 500 metres from home!! Result.  Abba, Beatles, various others & more interestingly Stone Roses, Oasis. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - good idea, esp as its hard to guarantee fitness on a certain day (well it is for me anyway).

OO - good result instead of the Hyde Park run.

Flipping cold and icy this morning, had to be careful. Ran on the track accross the fields for the commute, not cold enough for the fields to be Narnia like though.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. good ice dodging! Temps have dropped here too, 1degree max all day.  Sat & Sun even colder.

OO.. I went to a tribute festival in Leeds a few years back.  Blondie, Coldplay, Bowie & others.  A great day out.

TT.. Seville is awkward to get to from here too. Sometimes it's just too much hassle and expense.  I did insure my Barca entry just in case the worst happens.

A chilly 10m this morning.  Picked my route carefully to try and avoid roads as there's been a blanket of fog all day.  Fortunately it's dry underfoot so didn't encounter much ice.
  • Options
    OO - I do like a good tribute festival. Mrs TT and I went to one together as one of our first dates (and have been every year since). Good line-up for yours. And bonus with the sunny icy run.

TR - I tend to be able to peak quite well IF/WHEN I make a startline. Good luck for tomorrow!

Wardi - I considered insuring Seville. Wish I had now. Heh-ho. Less chilly and more bloody brassic down here!

Yesterday was 12.2m with 45mins steady (6:46) / 4m jog, and then finished off my running for the week with a brisk 12m this morning (7:05) to give me 81m for the week.
    Longest run was 12m, but there were two of those, and an 11m, versus 1 x 12m last week. Aim for next week will be to extend one of those 12m out a bit further.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I'd have to insure an overseas race for sure, but by then I'd have booked flights and hotels too.

TT - the 2 x 12 and an 11 is good base building.

Real cold and icy overnight. 3m easy done. We have wind and rain forecast but hopefully not until later tomorrow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I had intended to run the Warsaw marathon in Sept for a GFA but didn't book anything initially having wasted entry fees like London & a 10m race in the build up.  Then I got injured again so nothing lost.  
    We haven't been to Sagrada Familia since 2014 so fancy a re-visit next March.  Even if I don't get to run the trip itself won't be wasted, nice time of year to visit, not too crowded.
    All the best for tomorrow, wrap up well!

TT.. 3 x MLR's is a good start in building endurance.  81m is a decent week too, great to see you running consistently after recent setbacks.

A modest double today, 6.5m ÷ 4m.  The sun made a few appearances through the mist this morning which made for some pretty views across the countryside.  Around -3/4 here.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Evening all, 

Very quick post to wish TR all the best for tomorrow! DBS etc. Really hope the weather is at least ok, and you have a good run!! Good luck mate. 

Will read back properly and do a proper post tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Best of luck TR
    Still benched really though I hopped off for a parkrun/XC double today. Pace of 8:28 & then 8:45 for a HR which would normally see me approx 90s a mile faster was tough. I’m basically hopping off my Right leg & using the Left as a crutch.
    Saw a physio last Friday - piriformis pinching sciatic nerve. Going again Tuesday so will almost certainly get a ticking off 🤣
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like me the last two january/February's that I struggled to shake off.

I was undecided wether to tick the sub3 box, or chase a 1/2 knowing id bounce back quicker, my knee was improving and I like it like that. So after wind ruined recent races, I decided to try to beat the 82.4X  ran at GW in July which was approx av 6.20s. I had only run steady stuff recently but didn't see that as a problem. Today I was going to push myself if things felt ok.
    Wind was kinder than it can be, but it absolutely pissed down in early miles, meaning a splash through standing water. 1st mile 6.33, as i creaked to get going, but then a few 6.20s, felt ok so more 6.20s and a quick last mile and id equal July time. After 5m I decided i felt ok, today was the day and I was going to push myself a bit. Rain eased a bit and I ran progressively to the end. First 5m av 6.23, next 8m av 6.13, each of the 5 laps quicker than the last........82.12 which im pleased with but the slow start cost me an 81min which would have been my quickest since 2019, as it was I was only 3 secs slower than my 82.09 in July 21.

I had also decided to do the 1/2 as i want to avoid then sciatica issues of the last 2 winters. So I'm going to keep hitting the weights hard, get some quality work in and chase an 81min at Dorney or Farnborough and then Chichester 10k in Feb, hopefully this will keep.me moving better rather than my usual base building chugging about.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicely done TR, great to see that you kicked on after a severe wetting.  Encouraging that you can still bang out a similar time to 2021 too.

Jooligan.. I've had a similar pain in the glute in recent years, radiating down the back of the leg.  An injection cured mine within a few days, cost is around £100 if you get it done privately.  Good luck!

12m on the treadie today,  snow fell on top of ice overnight so didn't want to risk it.  65m for the week.

My Valencia crew.. the lad who ran 2.27.28 at London PB'd with 2.26.11.  Our 1st V45 clocked 2.36 with splits as smooth as silk, 2nd V45 2.47.  We did have one DNF due to stomach issues at 23m, shame as he was on for 2.30-2.35.  He's only in his early 20's so his day will surely come.
    To give you an idea of the standard at Valencia, our top guy above was 73rd in London, 321st at Valencia.  :o