Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Afternoon folks,

Just been reading back a little.

Dull - great 1500m performance off a heavy week, impressive!!

Gator - that still looks a pretty good time to me, and considering your previous week i wouldn't be too down about it. Sure you will Sub3 (and more) with ease!!! I assume at Edinburgh?  

Jools - sorry about the set back, looked like you were starting to get back to form. Stick at it as before!!

TR - bid congrats, welcome to the coffin doggers ;¬)

Padams - we knew you couldn't resisit the race !!

Coro - thats a good read, not sure im ready for fell running tho!!

I am still sticking to my Edin training plan, but my motivatation is just not the same as London. Not sure if that will effect my race. Hopefully i can be "up for it" on the day!!

Post FLM weekly miles have been 26, 55, 68, 67 then plan 50 this week and 25 pre Edin

I haven't done a great deal of speed work just kept it mainly steady with a little fast/tempo thrown in. Considering i missed 6 weeks training for London, it will be interesting to see if the additional 6wks training will make any difference!!??  

btw i'm number 201

• Options
    Happy birthday TR

cheers RB, I'll stick with the kayanos, but get brother in law to keep an eye out for ST's going cheap in america
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB, OH :~0

Marigold, worked for me and I ran faster at the second event 2 days later.

For someone who does very little speedwork I have just realised that in 8 days I did

Track 5km 3Ksc
    easy
    10km race
    easy day
    Mile TT
    easy day
    easy day
    5km

Does this count as sharpening up RB style for a longer race?
  • Options

MtR - I'll tell you if all that works after Edinburgh -

Keep up the tempo sessions instead of/as well as the VO2 max sessions. The P&D plan drops the tempo sessions about 7 weeks out. I'd do them for another 4 weeks - check - did my last proper tempo sesh 24 days before the marathon

Slow down some of the easier sessions to closer to 8mm than 7mm - check - I think most of mine have slotted in at around the 7:35 - 7:45 range

Run a 20 mile race - Bramley looks good, but Finchley is much closer - check, though it was East Hull, so I can't stick exactly to your plan.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Go on then – put me out of my misery, what’s the difference between a Tempo and a VO2 and what do they do for you ? I’m not sure if I did any.

Is it six of one and ½ dozen of another ?
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Good luck Lee - if it works then that's an extra reason to follow this plan of attack.

Gobi: Of course one of those easy days was a 3:15 marathon training run wasn't it?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    MTR

ER YEAP

Gobi
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Tempo - sustained effort for 3-6 miles at 10M/HM pace

VO2 max - intervals of 400-1600m at 3k/5k/10k pace

I'd say you did a fair bit of tempo running with your 5 miles out easy and 5 miles back fast.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    LeeG - when's the 5k?

coro - only difference between now and pre-FLM is that I'm doing the runs where I was pulling a cnba before......

RnM - the lack of motivation may work in your favour, you'll be more relaxed about it.

Gobi - any more quick stuff and you'll have to have a chat with yourself for overdoing it image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL TT, I have been lectured by myself and will do no more before Sunday.

Good call about RnM TT not only more relaxed but more rested and ready to run fast.
  • Options

TT - it's on Saturday, so 8 days out. It's one them park Time Trials wot Gobi wins - they're free, so you just register online and just turn up and run it if you fancy it, which is pretty nifty. I've swung back the other way now, and for the next 4.746 minutes won't be running it before changing my mind again. I've got 2 x 2 miles scheduled in for the Friday which I intend to run at about 20 seconds slower than MP, so it should give me as near as dammit the same sort of benefit for Edinburgh for it to make no difference if I turn up to the 5K or not. Probably. Oh, I don't know.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree – I often did 8 or 10M – with the 2nd half quicker, but not always fast enough to be classed as a tempo.

I also built the pace through the 20M runs, so they typically went something like 10M at 7:30 ish, 5M at 7:00 and 5M at 6:40 ish.

I certainly didn’t do much Vo2 stuff though.

Depending upon family stuff, it looks like I’m going to ditch my planned run for a swim tonight, and try and do a session with a bit more volume in it. That means no running Monday or Tuesday, but I’ll do some tomorrow.
    I hope to get a 2hr pedal in later in the week too.
  • Options
    Of course I actually meant 20 seconds faster than MP. Tapir madness getting to me.
  • Options

Hail Hail

Not too much cake TR.  Hows the legs with the hamstrings BTW?  Have you fiddled with the bike yet?

Gobi - are you suggesting that because RM is going to be more rested (and will therefore run better/faster), you think that I should be cutting back what my plan is for the next few days?  Bear in mind that everything is dependent on my knee, which is holding up ok at the moment.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    I do have my moments Gobi. Not many admittedly, but that just makes them more worthwhile when they do occur image

LeeG - why not register, and then if you fancy it on the day, turn up and do it (even instead of, and at the same pace as, the 2 x 2 on the Friday)? Tapers are funny. I never make concrete plans for them, I just do whatever my body feels like doing at the time (as long as it's not completely stupid!).
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB, I am suggesting that RM will be fresher mentally and physically so he may run well. He may also die at 20 miles as London will be 6 weeks back and he lacks miles.

As you are like me and thrive on training I would keep the taper limited to the last 8/10 days but YES i would step off the gas a little and protect the knee.

Not that I give training advice. image

LOL TT, most people have a moment and it is a bad thing !!!!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    RB
    Had to buy cakes for all the folks at work – so I bagged a cookie myself. I’ll have cake with my nippers later after their (and before my) swimming. Their swimming teachers daughter was a local champion but the teacher won’t take the old PJer on as a student sadly ( obviously doesn’t trust herself with me in my speedo’s).

I moved my cleats slightly forward and raised my saddle a bit. Still not sure if it was FLM or the bike, although my lack of stretching doesn’t help. I need to get on top of it if I want to race a 10k in 3 weeks.
    I need to be able to do 40k (incorporating some of the toughest climbs around) in 2 months time, after a 600m swim warm-up and followed by a 10k run.

I take it that you missed my special friend and CM in the end then ?

• Options
    Happy birthday to the new coffin dodgers.

Thanks to all those who felt I did OK well on the track last night, and passed on good wishes.
    If truth be known I'm more a middle distance man than a marathon man, but just want the the sub 3 for the shear hell of it.

Blisters Already got the sub 5 for 1500m when I was 47.

coro Not looking forward to racing in the MWRRL.I hate running 10k
    and don't enjoy the uneven Welwyn course. Will be gald when it's all over.

TT Time heals. I''ve somehow managed to convinced myself Abingdon is a race worth working for
    regardless of the pain it will give me.

Celebrated with too much fish pie last night. Weight has gone crazy. Will do a second run tonight as a punishment.

Dull
  • Options
    Already registered TT - did one around Xmas in 18:41, which is probably about the time I'd aim to do it if I tootled it a bit now! Maybe you're right - might just wake up on Saturday and if the legs fancy it get over there, otherwise take it easy.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dull,

1 portion of fish pie has made your weight go crazy?  I think not!

Ankle feels much better today (no ibuprofen since yesterday lunchtime, so it is how it genuinely feels rather than masked by painkillers).  Clearly forcing a bit of blood through it whilst on the cross-trainer did some good.  Of course, I accept that means that I shouldn't run tomorrow but should leave it until Thursday to be on the safe side (except for a quick jog for the podiatrist's benefit tonight).  I can be sensible occasionally!

• Options

TT - I certainly hope you are right. I feel fit enough - but it's how much you want it!!!

Gobi - i preferred your first comment i.e. NOT the one about dying at 20m ;¬)

RB - As has been said on here before, there is maybe not a great deal that can be done to improve your chances in the last 2 weeks but you can certainly harm them by not tapering enough. I will go for the less is more approach. You seem to run well off high/fast miles. Although your increased training pace may bring on some of your niggles tho?? Just a thought :¬)

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RM, but for 20 miles I think you will be brill :¬)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Options

Bonjourno, long time no speak... I've got a 10 mile cycling time trial on the road on Thursday night... think Marshallini will be joining me... at least it's something competative while I'm crocked...

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    hello Pug and nice to hear you are alive

NICE
  • Options

Good stuff pugster - nice to see you back in the saddle.... any idea when you might be running again?

TR - happy birthday

Dull - good run in the 1500 and a sprint finish no less - awesome.

Jools - I admire your patience but I reckon if you're getting no pain then you could risk a couple of miles jog on it tmrw without any chance of making it worse.

Lee G - FWIW I don't think I'd do those two sessions on consecutive days 8 days out from a marafun. I'd just pick one.

Feel a bit weary myself..... did 6.5m easy this morning and 7m with 5 at MP or a tad quicker (avg 6.01s) this evening. Thinking I deserve a wee visit to a beer garden now..... still plenty of sunshine left in this ere day.

• Options

Hail Hail

Gobi - ok

RM - maybe.

TR - unfortunately not.  The day dragged on, and Mrs RB wasnt for hanging around. 

NtS - good running.

• Options

Thanks for kind words of encouragement - may have lost my mojo just now but did enjoy printing off the Edinburgh Marathon confirmation letter 10 minutes ago so that's something.  I guess Edinburgh's pretty special for me cos it was my first marathon and also where I first broke 3 hours (2:59:38 gun time).  Reading my training report from that day it wasn't too different from FLM this year, including "stomach feeling too bad to take on lucozade at 20miles".

TR - happy 41st - how many more years do you reckon you'll be able to keep your 10k time below your age?

• Options

Finally a track session worth logging.  Wanted to run a 5km race emulation type session, so ran 6 laps in 7:24, then 4min recovery, 1km in 2:56, 90s, 1km in 2:50.  Fairly windy tonight too.

I was previously struggling to break 70 for a lap so doing km repeats at about that pace is a bit of a breakthrough.  They were meant to be at 3km PB pace (71 per lap) but I based on the 2 x km that PB needs revising by a big chunk.  I feel like a different runner to last week.

TR - many happy returns.