Options

4 miles to 6 miles in 3 months

I can just about run 4 miles (i find it very hard) but i was thinking about doing the watford 10k in may. I'm not sure if i can run this far. I was wondering if any1 had a training plan i could do?

Thanx, L8n

Comments

• Options
    OK, since no knowledgeable people have replied, I'll have a go.

I reckon 3 months is easily enough to add that extra distance - concentrate on going a little further each time and, if you're anything like I was at that stage, slowing down (even if it feels like you've almost stopped!) should increase your range dramatically. Don't overdo it, though - people quote the 10% rule - don't increase your total mileage by more than 10% a week. And don't ignore pains and niggles. Good luck!

Did it sound like I'm bluffing it? ;-)
  • Options
    Thanx, il keep working at it. I suppose i dont really need a training plan do i? i just gotta go and do the running.
  • Options
    Swerve
    I'd call myself knowledgeable [about running anyway] but I think you hit this right on the head!
    L8n
    Just keep your goal in mind & you can achive it. If you fancy having a short term target as well you might find a short family fun run. As part of a larger event, I'm organising two 10K's this summer & both have 1500m fun runs. There are also some 5K's about.
  • Options
    the only problem is that i cant run on sundays.
  • Options
    There are some races mid-week but I don't know about the Watford area, mabye at Easter.
  • Options
    I did not find it easy to get to 6 miles first running incarnation. This time round, I have taken on board walking as an improving technique, and it has really helped.

If you can now run four miles, decide once a week you are going to cover 6 miles. Don't worry about how much of it you walk. The first month, every four minutes, walk for a minute. When you start running again, deliberately go slow, unless you are well into the homeward stretch, and are still feeling frisky, in which case you don't need my advice. When it feels awful to resume running after a walk, go back to walking (hopefully this will be after four miles). Enjoy the rest as a walk, do not get cross with yourself!

Second month, with luck, you will eventually be able to get round, walking every five minutes. That month, on shorter runs, you might try varying the pace. Still deliberately go slow until well into the second half of your 6 mile run.

The final month, with luck, it shouldn't feel too bad getting round, and you shouldn't feel exhausted for the rest of the day. Still walk and go slow during the first half. If you're feeling good after half way, stretch out a bit.

On the race day, you won't need to walk if you have gotten used to making yourself go slow. Until half way. But you will, by then, know what 6 miles feels like, and when you can dare to let rip. If you do have to, well, I have it on excellent authority that you wouldn't be the first!
  • Options
    ok, I'll think about that one. I really find it hard to get going after walking for a bit though, i like to keep the rhythm.

well i still have quite a long time. I will try and do 4 miles comfortably first, i got 30:39 on my first time(last monday) so i will try and improve that before trying to run further.
  • Options
    L8n

Since you're one of these people who sticks numbers in their words I guess you're a bit younger than most of us - is that right? In which case I'm sure you'll have no trouble stepping up to 6 miles - just do it gradually
  • Options
    yes im 16. I will keep training for the six miles. If i cant do it when it gets nearer the time of the race then il just have to do extra training.
  • Options
    what's your weekly mileage at the moment?
  • Options
    lowest = 6, usually = 7, maximum = 10 (if not doing much other exercise e.g. football,swimming).

why do u ask?
  • Options
    Yes L8n, I'm an old'un, and possibly my advice is not for you.

But - most young'uns I've met with do make the same mistake - trying to run too fast. Might be worth keeping that in mind.

The one bit of advice I'll stick by whatever your age and background: don't get cross with yourself for bad runs. No point in it. Just ruins the day, and makes you less keeen to get out there and try again.
  • Options
    l8n
    Reason I asked was to get an idea of what your current "base" is like. If, say, you were doing 6 4-mile runs a week, then progression to 6-mile runs would be pretty str8forward (hey look even I can do it).
    Presumably the mileage is split up into something like 2 or 3 outings a week?
  • Options
    yes,
    two 3 miles,
    or one 3 mile and one 4 mile,
    or two 3 miles and one 4 mile.
  • Options
    In which case I'd suggest something along the following lines (others more knowledgeable than me can suggest alternatives):

As often as you can, try to fit in 3 runs in a week - preferably not on consecutive days.

Push your 4 mile run up to 6½ or maybe 7 miles in gradual stages - by say ½ a mile a week. If you can manage something a shade over the distance in training, you'll have plenty of confidence when it comes to doing a 10K event. Just concentrate on getting round & don't worry about how long it takes.

Also, try to push one of your 3 mile runs up to 4 miles or thereabouts (but don't increase the distance of this one in the same week as you increase the distance of your long run).

If you feel up to it, try to run your shortest run a bit faster, and develop a bit of speed.

If you can do all that, then hopefully by the end of March you'll be in a routine where you'll be doing a long 7 mile run (nice easy pace, don't push it), a steady 4 mile run and a faster 3 mile run.

If that's something you can cope with, brilliant - you'll run a cracking 10K. If you find it too difficult - don't worry, there's plenty of time left for you to increase your mileage more gradually.
  • Options
    Hi L8R

Just wondering how long you have been running?

Looking at the time you posted for your first 4 mile distance of 30:39 which equates to 7:40 per mile (which I think is quite good). I think if you are new to running you should maybe slow down a little for you long run.

I am 39 and have been running for just 7 months now. I found that when I started off I ran every run as fast as I could. This ment that I could not cover much distance. I, through information read on this site decided to get a heart rate monitor and use it to make sure I was not running too hard (which it turns out I was). Once I started to slow my speed down I found that I had the enegry to run for longer distances. I now run around 12 miles for my long run and feel as I could run more but as I am not training for competition but rather just to be fit and healthy I figure that is long enough.

I think that if you follow the advice you have received already and slow down a bit you will be amazed how much progress you can make in 3 months.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Michael.
  • Options
    hi l8n,

here's what i'd do (infact did do it to get in shape for my first 10k):

if you like running fast, and feel dissapointed if you stop to walk, then it might work out for you.

Do you always run the same routes? if you do, then you'll probably know the point at which you last 'gave up'...just make sure you run past that point ( even just to the end of the next street). that way, you'll never feel dissapointed, will be concious(?)of your improvment, and will be up to 6 mile in no time. You dont need a watch for this!

Something that i have recently found very benifical, and a lot of fun, is running with a partner, or group. Especially some one who is a little bit fitter/ faster than yourself- you'll find that it seems a lot easier than doing it alone- and it's important that you ENJOY your training.

• Options
    i did 4 miles today in 30:17. I will try a 3 mile on thur then another 4 on saturday. I might try to get a HR monitor to make sure im not running to fast, are they expensive?

Yes I started taking running seriously about a month ago but i was already quite fit from playing football.
  • Options
    L8n,

The most important thing at your age is that you enjoy what your doing. You have plenty of time ahead of you so just take your time & it WILL COME.

:)
  • Options
    i agree with big tim.............

however, and this is a big however and a controversial training method which can quickly lead to injury if pains and niggles are not accounted for you could just go out on your next run and do 6 miles distance and really push yourself to dinish it. even if you take a couple of walking breaks.

don't do this regularly, maybe once a week, but the important thing is to push hard and keep running for the 6 miles. you will improve quickly, but don't do this often, you will definitely get injured