Options

Saturday session 08-Feb

Morning all. First time i've started one of these.

It's make or break weak for me. continuing knee pain has now been identified as shoe related. it seems the Asics 2070 are not for me and have now been advised to switch to motion control (Brooks Addiction 5)to stop knee rolling in on impact. So.....

what : nowt. still resting but can at last see the light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait to get some quality runs in.
why : above
last hard : seems a long time a ago
last rest : last 2 weeks

my total milage in the week is 3 miles. Not clever for a 1st marathon target of 4hrs. Realistic target now is turning up and finishing, although i'm still hopeful of a 4 to 4-30.

Next sunday have Liversedge 1/2M. Big decision will be made after (or even during that).

I want to run. I want to run!!!!!

Good luck with those long runs and races tomorrow.

ps - Asics 2070s in UK size 9 1/2 going spare for free. good condition (approx 250 miles done).

Comments

• Options
    Posting on your thread paul in keeping with the unwritten code of honour on the Training thread (first poster keeps the thread).

Glad you've got a diagnosis about your knee, best of luck with that.

What: supposed to be 12m marathon pace, but will see how I get on once I'm out there.
    Why: My body and my mind are on different wavelengths this week.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: Thurs

Have a good weekend folks.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Paul - I hope the injury soon improves for your 1st Marathon and it's good news you've got a reason for it. I've been off running for 2 weeks and like you aiming for sub 4, unlikely I'll be running at all as physio & doctor disagree with what I have.

What: Gym Session 20k cycle, 2000m row, 40 mins on Elliptical at target heart rate + Weights

Why: Keep fitness up whilst not able to run

Last Hard: yestersday gym session

Last Rest: Thurs

Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    Morning....
    What: Aiming for 15 miles marathon pace
    Why: it just feels right
    Last hard: yesterday's hills - bloomin' hard work
    Have fun!
  • Options
    Paul,
    best of luck, I totally sympathise having had a variety of knee problems over the years. I find strengthening the quads with a bit of cycling or a weights program to be useful but I guess it depends on what the problem is exactly.

What: 30K @MP
    Why: I've been planning on doing the Stamford 30K race but it turns out I'm away next weekend so I figured I'd do a long marathon pace session to see how training for FLM is progressing.
    Last hard run: Definitely today.
    Last rest day: Friday

Turned out OK, managed to get through the first 25K reasonably comfortably, last 5K was tough, but that's to be expected. Finished in 2:01:16 so was happy with that.

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend ;-)
  • Options
    Best wishes for a prompt recovery, Paul! And Claire!

Laura, Snicks, you put me to shame. Enjoy your runs.

For me today:
    What: Tomorrow's long run. A little under 11 miles, I think. And I have done it already so I can't wimp out.
    Why: Increasing long run distance by a sensible 10%, and had to reverse this weekend's sessions due to domestic commitments.
    How were the Asics 2080s: As responsive as house bricks, but very comfortable. I can imagine them being good marathon shoes once I'm used to them.
    Last rest day: Yesterday.
    Last hard day: Wednesday. Then today.
  • Options
    Nice and mile out there today. At last I was able to run in t-shirt and shorts.

What: 7 miles including the steepest hills I've ever run up.
    Why: Scheduled
    Last hard: Today counts for me. Before that Thursday.
    Last Rest: Yesterday.
  • Options
    Just got back from 3 miles 'easy' prior to Wokingham half tomorrow. Why does a short slow run the day before a long race always feel like really hard work?

What: 3 miles easy @ 9.5 min mile pace
    Why: loosen up for tomorrow's race
    Last rest day: yesterday
    Last hard day: Tuesday

Hope you all have a good weekend.
  • Options
    Morning all - hope the crocked recover speedily.

What: Rest. Might swim.
    Why: Big mileage on Thursday, 20K race a week tomorrow, now would be a good opportunity to cut back and give my knees the holiday they've been asking for.
    Hard: Thursday.
    Rest: Yesterday.

Have fun.
  • Options
    afternoon all (just)

what: short speed session - exact routine to be decided
    why: currently this seems to be the best thing I can fit in on Saturday

last hard day: Fri (according to the HRM)
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

notwithstanding yesterday's HRM average of 165, don't feel too bad today. Won't be going more than about 3-4 miles overall this evening though.
  • Options
    Afternoon All

What: 18 Miles
    Why: Schedule Says So

Last hard: Today
    Last rest: Thursday
    Last Long: Today
  • Options
    It's interesting reading about how other people's marathon training plans are going. Good luck to all of you.

After seeing the physio on tuesday when he told me I had two options:
    1 Rest for 10 days with hot/cold treatment, massage & ibuprofen gel.
    2 Carry on training but with hot/cold treatment, massage & ibuprofen gel.

One option then!!!!!...................

..........I've carried on training [a bit lighter training load than usual, only 70M this week]& everything feels fine. No pain, discomfort, or anything.

What: approx 22M long run in 2:45

Felt comfortable all the way & was even pushing it at 21M, it's good to be feeling this comfortable.
    Strange then, when I've decided to put my spring marathon off until the autumn but I really feel I can run a fast marathon later in the year with less distraction's. I plan to carry on with high mileage because it will set me up for the summer.
    No.1 goal for the spring alway's was the Paddock Wood 1/2M & a pb!

Why: winter miles
    Last rest: Fri
    Last hard: Thur

Tim :)
  • Options
    Bless everybody's poorly knees, may they grow strong again.

What: 8m. 1hr33. Quite pleased with that, considering that Thurs pm couldn't walk again, and I refrained from panicking and grabbing the pills, merely took myself off to bed for an extra half day.

It's mostly worked. Feet are very painful, regular corollary to the problem, and I'm pretty tired. Not entirely sure whether it would not be better to go back on anti-inflammatories after all. Do I gain more from being off the pills, or is it better to go back on them, not need so much rest, and be able to train more.

Don't suppose anybody has any insight into this dilemma.

Ah well. Tomorrow is pollarding at the sailing club, so no running, if not exactly a "rest" day. Next run is Tuesday.

Racers run well.

• Options
    Off out for 5-6 miles
    Vrap, i dont consider 3 miles a rest day!!!!!

Hope all the poorly knees improve fast
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Best wishes to those with niggling injuries, hope they get better soon!

What:50x 25m swimming
    Why:active rest day
    Last hard:Thursday
    Last rest:today
  • Options
    What; Most enjoyable 1 1/2 hours of mud path and roads in delightful company
    Why; X country race tomorrow
    Last hard; wednesday
    Last rest; Friday
  • Options
    Blimey Tim, if that's your 1/2m training I dread to imagine what your marathon training will look like! Good luck with injuries (that goes for a few people).
    Marmite Master, what a fab run, at this stage of the training too.

Did my 12 miles, stuck within 75-80%whr and deliberately didn't check my watch until the end. Felt great all the way around, very relaxed and still fresh at the end but stopped while the going was good. 1.40, just another 14.2 miles at the same pace needed then. :-) Good morale boost after cr@p week's training.

Well done everybody on your long runs, hope your 15 miler was good Snicks.
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone! Just got back from this weeks long run...18mi. Had been quietly dreading this but in the end it was OK. Took it nice and slow and finally got round in 3hr15
    Last hard: today
  • Options
    Hope my constant grumbling hasn't brought the knees out in sympathy! Knee was soe again yesterday but somedays I just say "hang it" and go anyway probably not the ideal strategy but.....

Today: 8 miles off-road in deepish snow and uphill for the first 4 miles (phew!)
    Why: see above
    Last hard: Today
    Last rest yesterday

Just decided to do some cross training as well so off for a quick row.

Good luck racers.
  • Options
    Hope to see you at Liversedge Paul.

What 11 miles in 1:21
    Why because it's on the schedule.
    Where On the treadmill,Yawn.
    Last hard- hills yesterday
    Last easy- Monday and tuesday- did nowt!
  • Options
    5.53 miles
    60 mins
    Even ran up the hills
  • Options
    What: 85 windy miles (weather not me!) on the bike in 5hrs 20mins - now got a sore ar$e!
    Why: 'cos my next Ironman is in 8 weeks
    Last Hard 3 x 1K swimming (2min rcoveries)followed by 30 min run yesterday.
    Last Easy: Thursday (rest day)

Think I'll take up knitting.....
  • Options
    Don't,you'd find it too physically demanding!
  • Options
    What: - 4.5 Hilly XC
    Why: Because I felt like it, OK?
  • Options
    CI,

I got a sore ar$e! on my long run
    because I was windy!!!!!1
  • Options
    CI - keep it going, looks like you're on course.

Today: easy 5km
    Why: In preparation for tomorrow's 18-miler.
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    Well done MM on that session
    Likewise Stickless. Also Laura - thought you were on the verge of going down with a bug, to judge from your recent reports.
    Big Tim - curious as to how wind caused you a sore...but something tells me "don't go there!" ;-)
    Tonight's activity: warm up, strides, then

2 & 2/3 miles: 1 mile in 5:58; 1/3 mile in 2:40; 1 mile in 5:50; 1/3 mile in 2:21
    & warm down.

Once again, doing a few strides completely wrecked my pace judgment - set off on the first mile way too fast - only realised on checking my watch at 1/3 mile.
    Apart from that, q happy with speed & recovery from it at this stage. The first full-blown mile interval session cannot be too far off.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Ironwolf - much needed at present.
    Bonked big style on the bike at about 55 miles riding into a 20mph headwind - had to stop & get some gels down my neck!
    Ironic thing was that I felt fine when I finished.
    P.S.Thanks for the schedule - very interesting.
    Paul