Options

Prolonged pain after calf/achilles massage

3 days ago I had sports massage recommended by physio to release scar tissue in calf/achilles area. I'd had the first treatment a few days earlier and although it hurt at the time it was OK afterwards (but no improvement in pain/stiffness either).

This time it has been painful and puffy for 3 days, dicomfort worse than the original achilles injury and making it difficult to walk. (a worry since I have a walking holiday in 2 weeks). Saw massage lady again this morning (I was supposed to go for another treatment), explained what had happened. She said that she's probably just removed too much old scar tissue at once, to give it a few more days and come back for another go. She added that it would probably feel a lot looser than previously, once it had settled down.

I asked if making it that sore didn't just build up new scar tissue, but she said no.

She comes with very good credentials (from international cycling), so I don't want to be mistrustful, but I'd appreciate comments from sports massage therapists or other sufferers before I make another appointment!

Comments

• Options
    ive had loads of sport massages - but i have nebver heard of removing too much scar tissue - i was told the pain and burning sensation you feel during a sport massage is lactic acid build up which gets released - i always hurt for up to two weeks after one - but i have them rarely so that could be why. after a few minutes run though the pain completely goes - its like your body needs to warm up again - ive also had really bad bruising too but this goes after about 1 week - shop around id say, i use a phsio from my gym, but ive heard that you should go to someone with an interest in runners injuries. also, i found swimming helped, run only on treadmills for a short time and bike ride - i know its all boring advice but it helped me- just my knees are knackered now!!!
    have fun on your hols:)