Options

career advice

Was made redundant from my previous job and an opportunity came up in sales which sounded like a good idead - I'm definitely a people person. Thing is - its field sales so I'm based at home with very little contact with head office and I'm finding it really lonely been doing it for about 4 months. I've just been signed off work since I broke my collar bone and to be honest - I'm not missing work at all, which is leading me to question whether its really the right job for me ? Any thoughts, advice, suggestions ??? Please ...

Comments

• Options
    CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    Write down a list of all the jobs you'd like to do.

Give each of these items a value (1 to 10 with 10 being the highest)

Take the two items with the largest value and write a list of reasons why you're not doing this job right now.

For each of these reasons find an agument to counter the reason (for example: I cant be a Pilot because I've not got a licence... Solution: take flying lessons)

After you have developed your list, build some action plans and stick to them...

Good luck!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think you may have answered your own question there........

BUT - it's a job, and (presumably) you have a mortgage/rent to pay. Use the time you are signed off to research other avenues, and have a good long think about what you {i]really want to do. Put together an action plan of how you can best achieve it (do you need further training, etc), and a timescale.

I had a colleague who was made redundant a couple of years ago (basic office work). He retrained and is now a landscape gardener!
  • Options
    Rach - can I ask what you flog? And do you believe in what you are selling? (i.e. would you buy it yourself?)
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Rach, I broke my collar bone earlier this year and I got quite depressed with being dependant on other people and not being able to run, cycle or swim. For me it wasn't a time to be making life changing decisions so can I suggest that you stick with it until you're back to full health then review your options?

I hope you're better soon :-)
  • Options
    An alternative approach to Corinthians is to make a list of all of teh things that you would like in a job (salary, people contact, autonomy, fresh air, whatever). List them in order of priority and work out what jobs will give you what you want and compare that to your current job.

Sales is a bloody tough business and not for everyone.
  • Options
    wow thanks for all the responses and advice.
    Mister W - how long was it before you were back to normal ?
    coops
    I sell containers and petri dishes to hospitals ans research facilities. I don't think its the products - just the way the whole field sales thing works
  • Options
    sorry about this hijack but how did you two break your collar bones?
  • Options
    went over the handlebars mountain biking and landed on shoulder - also managed to dislocate my finger in my brake lever! I've really got to work on my landing!!
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Normal? I'm not sure I've ever been normal!

I was back at work after two weeks, started running after about 5 weeks, cycling after 6 weeks (that's when the tissue bridging the break starts turning into bone) and swimming after 7 weeks. I started to feel better about life when I was back to work and no longer dependant on people to help me get a shirt on.

I broke mine falling off a bicycle. A very common injury (they've already had two broken collar bones on this year's TdF).
  • Options
    arrghhhh.

i mountain bike too and thats one thing that i am petrified with. if i injured myself which prevented me running i would chuck the bike off a cliff!!

luckily i have only had minor bashes.

touch wood.

poor you get well soon.

oh - and as per the original q.

no wonder you are not inspired - PETRI dishes for gawds sake!!!

to enjoy sales you HAVE to beleive and love the product you are selling. okay some salesy folk can put on an act but to really get job satisfaction you have to love it. i worked from home for a bit. hated it. reason: no interaction whatso ever. good day bad day, been stood up or got stuck in traffic or whatever - get back home. oh. no colleagues to chat to and that want to talk to you re: their day.

dont rush into owt tho.
  • Options
    cheers ballini
    just needed to make sure all this daytime tv wasn't driving me crazy!
    would love to go out for a little jog - but i can't even lace my shoes!!
    Sounds like you hated the home working thing as much as i do - its really hard not being able to sound off to colleagues if you've had a carp day - doing that over the phone just isn't the same! can i ask what you do now ?
  • Options
    rach, you are on RW so sound off here.

:)

... and then come to the big RW bash next year (ish).

:)
  • Options
    CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    Good strategy Amadeus.

The most importent thing to remember Rach, is that you do have a choice... it might be a long haul, but if you are sure of what you want, have a robust plan to get there and stick to this plan when it gets tough... you'll get to where you want to get to re your change of career. (If it is a change you are looking for)

• Options
    big bash sounds good - i hope the will be beer!!
  • Options
    rach i fell into recruitment for my sins. which like everything has good and bad points. but the fact that it's our own business is the main benefit.
  • Options
    ps

hi nessie looking good!!
  • Options
    Well if it helps, I used to work for a big IT company. Senior(ish) position (enough to have my own office).

I'm now a sheep farmer - by choice - never been happier.

But

There's a whole world of difference. For one I'm a whole lot poorer in money terms. I don't own the house I live in (upside- no mortage, downside- when I retire I have to leave (and trust me thats a real downside)). The hours are very long, the work very physical (upside I sleep well, downside I sleep well when I get to go to bed).

So what I'm saying is - in making yourself happier you may have to take a deep breath and take some risks, and pull in the belt a notch or too.

But in the end you have to decide whats important to you and yours.

I do wish you luck.

Oh - the shoulder - hurts don't it? - no worries it'll be better soon - take it easy though.
  • Options
    cheers FR that helps a lot
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "I sell containers and petri dishes to hospitals ans research facilities. I don't think its the products "

rach - I run a well known recruitment business in EXACTLY this field - mail me via my profile............I'd be happy to have a confidential discussion with you as I know the business very very well - it might not be you, there could be other reasons........don't worry, details will not be disclosed to anyone

(I'd mail you but you are not mail enabled)

PS - I know a few forumites via my biz and they know me...........I think they can vouch for me!
  • Options
    i'll vouch for you too fbf!!
  • Options
    FB - i think i am email enabled now !
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    have mailed you Rach - look forward to your call............
  • Options
    i broke a collar bone falling out of bed. No, really.
  • Options
    wow - how high is your bed ??
  • Options
    impressive. how dya fall out?