Options

Tuesday session

Starting to get the hang of cross training - nice easy 45 mins cycling last night also went to bed at 9:30 feeling pooped. Feel much better for it today.

Today: 1 hour steady / fartlek
Why: want to see how my knee stands up to a bit of speed.
Days since rest: four
Since hard: three

Comments

• Options
    Morning all, quiet in here today!

Well my weekend long run plans went out the window due to Friday nights drinking session! Instead did several shorter runs with interval training with a total mileage of just over 9 miles. I'm getting rather worried now as the GSR is less than two weeks away!

Anyway today: Nothing
    Why: Have 7.5 mile club run tomorrow night and I haven't run anything longer than 6.2 miles EVER!

Last rest day: Friday
    Last hard day: Yesterday
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    What: 5-6 mile club run tonight
    Why: it's Tuesday.
    Last rest day: yesterday as I didn't go swimming. Too pooped after dealing with feline WW3 all day, marking resit assignments and working on PhD thesis to do anything except flop in front of telly with beers.
    Last hard day: saturday
  • Options
    Very hot and sunny :o)

What : A steady 5 or 6 with some sharpening sprints:
    Why : Part of taper

Last Hard Day : Sunday
    Last Rest Day : Yesterday

Will
  • Options
    What: 8m at lunchtime, then 4m at Gym tonight

Why: Steady run at lunchtime with Guys from work

Last Hard Day - Interval session on Sunday.

Last Rest Day - yesterday, last week was highest weekly mileage in a long time - deserved it.
  • Options
    What: 6 x 1 mile at 5:40 pace on track.
    Why: Tuesday is speed session day
    Last Hard Day: Sunday 22 miles
    Last rest day: last monday

Great weather for it, nice and cool in the early morning - terrible thing to say, I know, but that whole summer heat thing was getting to me. s.
  • Options
    Shame to be back at my desk on such a gorgeous day. But working at home this week which means running can be fitted in!
    Nessie, many congrats on your first triathlon, I'm so in awe of people who dare try one. Will you do another one?

Spent yesterday in the garden feeling sick, reading the whole of Atonement, drinking numerous cups of tea and getting sunburnt. Feel right as rain today so will go out for an hour later.
    I must say there's some serious training taking place on this thread - twice a day runs, and who was it said they're doing a 9 mile recovery run??
    Please could you comment on my plan for the autumn: I'd like to train for a sub 4 marathon in the spring (my first was 4.07) so thought I'd work on speed this autumn, have got 2 1/2 marathons and a couple of 10 mile races lined up in the next 6 weeks. Is 30 miles/week a good target assuming that includes 1 longish run, tempo run and another fast session?
  • Options
    What: No training per se but will do 7 miles in doggy walking today
    Why: Rest day but the doggy still needs his walks
    Last Hard Day: Monday (yesterday) wheeeee!
    Last Rest Day: Sunday (and the previous three days).

Marj --- thanks for yesterday. I did well but it was on the treadmill so on Thursday I'm going to go "Al Fresco" and see how I get on because I need to have run the dictance outside too I think - if for no other reason but to boost my self-confidence that I'm doing okay.
  • Options
    What: 9 mile fartlek with club
    Why: Club run every Tuesday
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Yesterday

mm
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: Nothing
    Why: Came off my bike last night.:-(( BooHooSniff

Nessie's tip for cycling - if you are close to the rider in front, make sure you can reach your brake levers if there is any chance he is going to slow down (i.e. oncoming traffic/parked car scenarios).

Fortunatley I was going slow at the time, and I managed (somehow) to avoid taking Mr Nessie off with me. (He would never have forgiven me if I had damaged his 3 week old pride and joy). I have a couple of nasty bruises on my right leg, and a very sore left shoulder and elbow.

Still, never mind, nothing broken and no blood so it can't be too bad. Hopefully I'll be recovered enough for at least one run prior to the 10k on Sunday. It does rule out tomorrow's planned 17 miler though - I don't think I could face it.

Off to visit the bike shop now, to see if they can repair the twisted handlebars and the puncture.....................
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Nessie, did it all happen in "slow motion"? I remember having a bad crash at the end of the Inverness to Elgin, doing about 40 mph in the bunch sprint. I was up racing again the next day. I'm sure you'll be OK.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Drew

Yes, it did feel a bit surreal on the way down, and I can remember seeming to have time to think "ok, hip has hit the ground, not too much pain, can't be broken, was that the edge of the pavement that just got me in the ribs, ouch that hurt a bit, at least I didn't land on my hand with a locked elbow, that should save the collar bone, will my helmet stop me cracking my head, probably not because I'm stopped now and my head/helmet doesn't seem to have made contact with tarmac..." all in about a second.

My next thought was "you B@%&$$*&)d" to the driver of the car who never bothered to stop to see if I was ok.

A 40mph crash sounds scary - not sure if I'd have been able to cycle at all the next day, never mind race. I did get back on the bike (plan was to ride home slowly), once I'd straightened a few bits. Unfortunately the front tyre punctured half a mile further on, probably as a result of the crash, so Mr Nessie took off home and came back with my car and the bike carrier. But at least I did get back on, at least for a short while.

I think I may go back to horseriding - at least when you fall off it's usually in a field - much softer than tarmac. Do you think I'd get away with it in the triathlon??
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Laura L

It wasn't my first triathlon, I've done 5 or 6 before, and I will do more in the future (once I get my bike fixed and my courage restored). It was great fun, you should give it a go sometime. They are even friendlier than running races, and because the slowest swimmers go off in the first heat in the pool, you can be last and still have people finishing behind you, so you aren't alone at the end.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Nessie glad you aren't too seriously hurt! I had a fall a few weeks ago on tram lines in the town, a nasty bruise up the side of my right legs and bloody right elbow that hurt for days. Being new to cycling I was a little shocked and know not to go near the tram lines again!

Laura I'm going to do my first Triathlon in September and I'm a slow swimmer and biker, but have been reasurred by people that it's a friendly event. I'm still very nervous though!

Anyway what am I doing today.
    AM. 1 hr swim, training for triathlon.
    PM. Club run off road, so it will be an effort run. Most probably between 8 and 10 miles.
    Last rest day: Saturday
    Last hard day: Sunday.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Should have been right leg not legs-honest I only have one right leg!
  • Options
    What: nothing

Why: running a fever, and want to be fit for 5k race on Sunday. I guess this is an enforced taper!

Last hard day: Sunday.

Last rest: Yesterday.

I don't know about you guys, but resting two days in a row makes me crazy! I hope to be able to train lightly for next three days and rest on Staurday before race next day.

Frustrating.

DC
  • Options
    What: 6/7 mile with club
    Why: Hoping to try a tempo run tonight
    Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest day: Monday

At the moment I am running 2 days with club approx 6/7 mile runs, different routes but usually same speed, slooooow. Sunday I am extending my run each week, to get time on my legs. Would I improve my running if 1 of my weekday runs I did intervals and the following week hill reps. I also do weight training and swim once a week.
  • Options
    WW -

Intervals and hill reps would definitely speed you up, but they are the tough end of speed training.

You're doing tempo runs which is great, but have you also tried fartlek (various bursts of speed within a continuous run)? It's a really good and fun way to get quicker and it's not so structured as interval training - it's more about going with what you feel you can do rather than relentlessly pushing yourself.

My advice would be to move on to intervals proper once you've started to get used to this. Also when you do intervals, decide what goal you are aiming for and choose your intervals accordingly - shorter and faster and more reps for shorter races, longer and slower and fewer reps for longer races. But then again, some people do incredibly well just using tempo runs for speedwork! The main thing is to know what you want to achieve first. s.
  • Options
    What: 2 mile burn-up (well, sort of) in 11:43; 1st mile upwind in 5:58; 2nd mile downwind in 5:45.

Why: With a 5K race tomorrow evening, that's a very good question. Probably because I'd had a cr*p day in work and was also p*ssed off at Sunday's time trial outing when I went off too fast.
    Definitely feel happier now about a)prospects tomorrow - run didn't take that much out of me; and b) life in general!

Last hard day: Fri
    Last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    Nessie, sorry to hear about your bike accident, glad it wasn't too nasty. It's such a shock just falling off, I'm not surprised you had a few slow-motion thoughts. It makes you realise how vulnerable you are. My best accident/bruise tip: arnica (homeopathic, get decent quality from healthshop) several times a day plus arnica gel on your bruises.
    Thanks for more info about triathlons; I'm secretly dying to have a go at one as I've always regarded it as the grown up thing to do after marathons, the only thing is I can only do breaststroke! Quite fast, but if I had to crawl I'd be finished after 50 mtrs. I only have a battered old mountain bike so that certainly wouldn't be very fast either.

Good luck with your race tomorrow Mike.
    I had a fantastic run earlier; despite the heat I did my hilliest 6 mile loop (OK it was just under as I was picking the kids up about 3 mins up the road) in 50 mins which is my best ever, and that included a pit stop!
  • Options
    What: 6km recovery run off road - not as easy and acouple of minutes slower than expected as the bracken is head high - its grown a lot inhtree weeks.
    Why: Hill race yesterday.
    Last hard session: yesterday
    Last rest day: Sunday
  • Options
    What: 3 sets x 8 200m off 30 secs jog recoveries.
    Why: Club track session
    Last hard session: Thursday
    Last rest day:Yesterday
  • Options
    Achilles, went out last night and did some Fartlek training with running club, we did our usual 6/7 mile hilly run but doing a few spurts, or strides made it more fun instead of a hard slog, and having someone else to to it with helps.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Laura

Quite a few people do breast stroke only in triathlons (probably not in open water swims, but definitley in pool ones) and all of the entry forms I've completed ask if you are doing breast stroke only. A lot of them do breast stroke significantly faster than I do crawl.

If you can borrow a road bike, you will find it quicker than a mountain bike, but if you aren't competing for the win, what's a couple of minutes difference really going to make. Anyway, its not so much the bike as the engine pushing it, and plenty other people use mountain bikes for triathlons.

Ok, that's got rid of your excuses. When's your first tri?