Options

runners knee

well, i think i have runners knee, not that intense at the moment, but all the symptome seem to be there, and i don't want them to worsen. i know i oculdmhave gone to the injury forum for this, but the training forum is where the biggest base of experience lies as people only go to health and injury if they are injured and need help, not to simply help the injured.

so again i appeal, please list to me some straight leg excerciese that i can do to help treat this runners knee problem (and no, smartass, they aren't listed on the website!)

thanks again,

phil

Comments

• Options
    runner's knee (chondromalacia patellae) is usually down to muscle imbalances and typically responds to weight training that strengthens the quads and inner thighs, i.e. step-ups and squats. and make sure you ice it to reduce the inflammation (and take ibruprofen if you need to). but then you know all that, don't you?
  • Options
    er, sorry - just saw your original question. no idea what straight leg exercises are.

possibly leg extensions??? i.e. sit in a chair and raise one leg up till it's straight and parallel to the floor, holding for 2-3 seconds. you can add ankle weights as you get stronger.
  • Options
    Belfast Phil, when I had a knee problem which the physio diagnosed as runners knee from muscle imbalances, I was told to do some cycling cross training to resolve the imbalance. I now do two 30 minute cycling sessions a week and have had no problems since. I also do ITB stretches.
  • Options
    bp

From my own experience when I had knee problems, the best principle to follow is keep your quads flexible (i.e. stretching afterwards) and strong (straight leg extensions with/without weights). This provides much better support for the knee.

Key muscle in particular is the vastus medialis (inner side of knee, just above) - this is the one that comes into play in the last few degrees of a straight leg extension.
    My recommended exercises included some straight leg extensions, but rather more importance was placed on doing them starting from a "nearly straight" position.
    Also the emphasis was on no of repetitions as opposed to doing them under a higher load (i.e. with weights).

Hth
  • Options
    Mike -

do you mind my asking what did you mean by "starting from a "nearly straight" position"? could you elaborate on the technique?

• Options
    The leg is almost straight i.e. the angle at the knee (between upper leg and lower leg) starts from something like 160 degrees instead of 90 - as it would be if your lower leg were pointing straight down.