Options

Hilly runs

Yesterday, I ran a route that was 6.1 miles (according to Autoroute)... I ran the same distance over a different route on Tuesday and was nearly 2 mins faster!!!

The only real difference is that yesterdays route contained at least three what I would call 'substantial' hills with a few lesser hills or undulations thrown in for good measure..

The question is, how do I evaluate one run against the other? How much does or should a hill slow you down? (in percentage terms I guess)..

I'm assuming that doing plenty of hill training will lessen the effect of hills on your speed?? or not??

Comments

• Options
    I think this is a bit like guessing how much your clothes weigh when you stand on the scales i.e. they slow you down as much as you can get away with!!!
  • Options
    About 18 months a go I moved house to an area which is hillier than where I previously lived. On virtually all my runs I’m running for the bulk of the time on some sort of incline. Even for my speed sessions

For this reason I only ever compare times for runs on the same route or at best runs that I think are of similar difficulty.

Prior to moving I always hated running hills and classed any slight change in undulation as a hill and a major bug bear. Overtime I’ve got used to it. This was brought home to me at Helsby half marathon where some friends were commenting on some of the hills they had to run up during the race. I thought it was flat except for a downhill bit near the end!

Running hills has definitely increased my leg strength and because I have to run them regularly I can cope with them better psychologically.

I can’t give you a percentage for how much a hill slows you down as I guess it depends on the hill in question as well as the runner. They certainly do make you work a bit harder. On long runs I’ll see my heart rate increase by between 5 – 8% when running some of the longer/nastier hills. Don’t tend to wear an HRM on short runs so can’t comment there.

Unless I’m doing a specific hill session I tend to back off slightly when running a hill. I try to maintain the same effort rather than trying to maintain the same pace.

Some people have put in other threads that running hills is equivalent to running further on the flat. I’ve never quite subscribed to that view as it is impossible to quantify. So I always base my race predications/targets on the distances and times that I have run.

Well I’ve rambled on enough now and I don’t think I’ve answered your question, sorry
  • Options
    RB: two problems, the hills slow you down but they also add distance. Your autoroute (unless it's cleverer than I realise) measures the horizontal distance covered. Hill walkers have "rules of thumb" to compensate for this but IMHO you have to go out and measure it on a bike or something. Of course if you use a microscopically small measuring wheel then the distance will become infinitely long as it works its way over every atom - now there's a PB for you.
  • Options
    Just enjoy it Ratbag! It's hard comparing pace on hilly and flat routes. If you use (yawn) an HRM you can at least judge your effort as being the same, it that's what you're wanting to do. Like mmc (or is it mnc? cant' read it) I tend to maintain effort rather than pace. The exception is the loop I use for 6/8 mile tempo runs - one long hill at the finish I try not to lose pace since the idea is trying to practice race pace.

You can judge your progress by just comparing your times over time for the same hilly loops. I find it really helps psychologically not to be in awe of them, even if in practice I end up slowing down. For some reason on a bike I loathe hills, my legs seem to turn to jelly instantly.

May as well get some practice in though Ratbag- Coniston has a sting in its tail towards the end!

• Options
    I think Trailgauge has a feature which uses some kind of effort formula to relate altitude to speed - never played with it though.
  • Options
    Laura...

You didn't mention the 'sting in the tail' when you were trying to sell me on the idea of running it!

As it happens, I've also got used to running hills as a part of any run I do local to where I live.

It certainly made Helsby easier than it might have been.
  • Options
    BTW Ratbag, I know my eyes aren't good but have you lost weight?
  • Options
    In some places....
  • Options
    Ratbag,

I can resist no longer....

Mervyn Davies did some research on this in the 1980's - his work is quoted in Tim Noakes' Lore of Running.

For the same input effort each 1% incline reduces your speed by 0.65kmph, and each 1% of decline only increases your speed by 0.35kmph.

There must be limits to this, but they are probably applicable up to 10% gradients on roads - mud is a seperate topic.

If you were a spreadsheet-aholic you could use this information to compare each run, provided you could measure them accurately and generate a decent topo.

Of course propellers and anoraks are required to go ionto this level of detail - and yes I do it regularly to judge my training routes and important races.

Sorry - it had to be said...

Ye. ;-)
  • Options
    Hi all,
    very interesting thread!
    I use Autoroute 2002 too to mesure my run.
    My last 2 long runs have been very hilly, so you're saying when I ran 9 miles hilly(using Autoroute to mesure the distance), I have in fact run more than that?
  • Options
    Hi 1/2M,

Probably - but it depends on how hilly your next target race is though.. Is it less hilly or more hilly?

Ye.
  • Options
    it's a 10 miles M-T, "The Tough 10", I assume that will be more hilly !
  • Options
    Isn't the tough 10 around the Lookout at Bracknell? If it is - that'll be tough!

If it is anything like the XC's over there it'll be hilly, some quite steep, muddy, (I got sucked in by the mud monster last time) and energy sapping. Add at least a minute per mile on in comparison to a 10 mile road run...

Great fun though...

Ye.
  • Options
    I Don't know where is Bracknell, but I am talking about the race in Weston-super-mare(Somerset).
  • Options
    Sorry - thought it was Finch Coasters tough 10 - differnet race - I know nothing.
  • Options
    That's ok.
    I am sure it will tough anyway!