1235»

Comments

• Options
    Me on the FRA forum?????

now THATS funny;)

good luck you mad lot
    x
  • Options
    The letters on the road where a bit obscured by sand a couple of weeks ago, I normally take the route across the moor, but I think this time I'll follow the road - not a great deal of difference between the two - good luck
  • Options
    Well I'm sorted and ready for the morning,
    who's crazy idea was it a couple of months ago to say

"lets have another go at the Lyke Wake, it was a tremendous day last year"

Oh... I think it was mine, after a couple of glasses of falling down water, hmmmmm, looking out at the rain over Darlington that looks like it wont stop I'm wondering where I left my canoe.

well good luck everyone, see you on the course tomorrow, I've got a 4.00am start so some of you will probably pass me on the way to Ravenscar.
  • Options
    Currently working on the official results, but the straightforward ones are:-
    Fastest man, Niel ridsdale 6:18, fastest woman Naomi Ferguson 7:35, Fastest Vet Ronnie Sherwood 7:51, Oldest vet Donald Potter (74) 11:29, Team winners Wold Rangers.
    Remarkably, only the usual 15% non-starters, and considering the appalling conditions not many retired.
  • Options
    Thanks Yetti, can you pass my sincere thanks on to all involved in the organisation of yesterdays race. All the people at the checkpoints were cheerfull and friendly with lots of encouragement to send us off to the next stage, once again thanks.

report.
    The race has been described as a challenge and with all the rain lately it certainly was that, set off at 4.00am with the prospect of a decent day infront of us.
    The first half was straightforward, that old railway line never seems to end, but got to the Lion Inn with no problems.
    Set off on the next bit and got to the peat bogs, what can I say, wet - very, dirty - very, deep - yes, we had to help one gent out when he went in up to his waist, he was I believe the oldest runner, 68 yrs of youth behind him, the mud was slippery and thick but we struggled through it. Got to Jugger Howe ravine and ended sliding down it on by backside as I couldnt stand up on the wet mud. On hands and knees up the other side then to the last checkpoint. From there a short stage to the finish line and a great welcome from the finish line officials. Done it, 11 hours and 34 mins, only 26 mins slower than last year when the course was bone dry.
    The beer at the end was a really great idea, thanks, it went down a treat, now - next year ?
  • Options
    thanks from me too, good organisation and support at the checkpoints.

Fun in a tough challenging kind of way.

7.57 after working hard in the last few miles to get in under 8 hrs.

interesting way of spending my 40th birthday

Roger
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Waist deep boggs

i KNEW it!!

and sliding down jugger

well done all!
  • Options
    Excellent day - and freezing cold hailstones as well !!!

Well organized and well done to everyone
  • Options
    I broke my leg on Hamer Moor. That's how tough it was!
  • Options
    Had a tough but great day. Didnt find the bog too bad at all! But the muddy water filled tracks after that really slowed me down. The check points were great, especially the huge bowl of jelly babies near the end! 10hr 36 min. Said before I started...never again! But I'm already working out where I'd like to cut an hour off next year!!!
  • Options
    I saw that 360

get well soon luv
    xx
  • Options
    Cheers Hipps.

I may return next year to bury a few demons.
  • Options
    no.no.no, I`v said never again and i damn well mean it, 12.36, i think i was one of the last in. (is there somwhere we can get the full results on line ?).it opened up a whole new world of pain, i think where i went wrong was doing it in walking boots. i should of stuck to my trusted running shoes. the blisters i have are the worst i have ever had, and they were raw at 20 miles. the peat bogs slowed most people down, but in a strange way were fun to negotiate your way through. 2008 ????, dont look for my name on the starting list. but thanks to all the marshalls and the organisers, they did a great job.
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Huge thank you to all the marshalls who did a sterling job. Amazing experience. 1st ever ultra and I cant see how tougher they can be than that one. The whole thing was mind blowing. Those bogs were something else. Went in 3 times or so up to my groin and constantly wet for second half. The rice pudding was wonderful and those hills!! Boy o boy. The time? For what its worth 10.27 ( official time 10.37 I suspect). Yiiiipppppeeeeeeeiiaaaa. Loved it , loved it, loved it. Also loved finishing it as much.

Would have liked results online but looking at web page seems we need to send in stamped addressed envolope. Yetti, any chance you could at least tell me my position? Only interested to see how others fared in those conditons as well.
  • Options
    Results are done, going in the post over the next few days, i can't do 'em all in one go. Otherwise I could send by e-mail but I won't be very responsive for two days. Try lww@btinternet.com
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'll e-mail the results in xls format to anyone that e-mails me at:
    bryan.thomas@dwp,gsi.gov.uk

Well done to everyone who even attempted the race in those conditions. I think you are all heroes.

Hippo - see what you missed.
  • Options
    My first run of the Lyke Wake as well after last walking it some 25 years ago.
    Did it in 11.34 which I am relatively happy with after those conditions.
    Difficult to put into words of how bad the water filled tracks were - best phrase we cam up with was that we would not have put our worst enemies dog through it!
    Having said that, now the shaking has stopped, we are planning for a sub 10 hour next year.
    Massive thanks to all the great people at the checkpoints without whom it would not have been possible.
    Darren
  • Options
    My fourth running of this event and definitely the worst in terms of conditions. I managed 9.35 which is around an hour slower than a couple of years ago but just getting over the finish line felt like a huge accomplishment in itself!

A massive thank you to all the marshals who as usual were fantastic and also a big thank you to the fellow runner at the first check point who gave me some paracetomol. After pulling my calf muscle after half an hour I was close to dropping out at the first but the paracetomol helped massively and enabled me to finish so thank yoooouuu!!!!

360 - hope the ankle heals quickly and you're back on your feet training for next year soon!!

Well done to everyone who finished in those conditions, a huge achievement. See you all in 2008 (you know it makes sense......)
  • Options
    Bryan

can i check your email address as I tried to email you and it didn't seem to get through

Roger
  • Options
    Hi roger, seems to be a typo on Bryans address, should be dwp.gsi not dwp,gsi
  • Options
    There are a few t-shirt mementoes left, due to non-starters. Anyone interested at £8 inclusive of p&p, contact me on lww@btinternet.com
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Just a note to close window and a final thank you to one and all that helped with this race.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who took part and those who helped put it on - from the looks of things it was a bit of a mare out there this year.

Shame I couldn't do it but the now Mrs.Chimp had booked the week for our honeymoon (yes, I admit it - I took the good weather and was sunning myself whilst you were ankle/knee/waist deep - delete as appropriate - in bog).

See you all in 2008 - I'm looking forward to it already!