Options

Mablethorpe Marathon 16/09/2007

Comments

• Options

ok whos goimg to start next years thread

go on imagewicked imageyou know you want to

• Options
    Haha, I did the dirty deed last year, so it's someone elses turn to upset everyone!
  • Options

RB - does that mean your gonna run the Full next year? image

my calves still ache and walking is difficult when i've been sat for a while, gonna try and use cross trainer tomorrow to try and ease and exercise the muscles, i've got to get them ready for GER (peterborough) in 25days image 

• Options

nope

the 10k again

my marathon days are over rlass says it was more enjoyable for her with me not being so pooped after

the best thing I did to help the aching legs after my best marathon and its a bit late now was the track work in the build up to the marathon it was the 1st time I had done serious track work and the best my legs ever felt after the marathon

• Options

hi all

feeling a little bit better today, so much so think i might enter morecambe half 21st oct.

talked to some experienced runners today who found it hard so i can take something from that, i dont like to be beaten by something, and i do want to go under 4 hurs by more than a few seconds. watch out...lol

• Options

Hi everyone,

Just got back home to Carlisle after the weekends exertions in Mablethorpe! Well done to everyone who took part in the races.

I have to say I really enjoyed the whole weekend, the pasta party, the events, the local people's hospitality and general friendliness and the town of Mablethorpe itself.

I did the marathon and felt absolutely great for the first 18 miles and was on course for a time of around 3hrs, however I really struggled through the last 5 or so miles and had to take a couple of walk breaks (of which I'm really disappointed about now as I've never had to do that before) before crossing the line in 3.14 and 27th place.

Purely from a personal point of view, I thought the course was fantastic, yes it was windy but you can't help that, and yes there is long stretches of the course where it is sparsely populated but again you can't help that, Mablethorpe is only a small town after all. I didn't have any problems with the route, all directions seemed to be clearly signposted and as for the last 3 miles along the prom, again personally I didn't have any problems but could see where people might've done with the general public getting in the way etc. Generally, I think the organisation was spot on, and for race in only its 2nd year I really think this race will go from strength to strength. A big thank you to everyone concerned.

Dumped the bags back at the guest house and then the wife dragged me out for a game of crazy golf at Queens Park before a couple of pints and a meal in the Fairway and a go on the arcades!

Haggus- I think it may have been your daughter who my 9 month old daughter took a liking to at the pasta party! She's been full of beans all weekend and she's got rosy cheeks now. Must be all the sea air! 

• Options

Hi Gravesy lad..was your daughter Charlotte?? If so then it was Sarah who was trying to kidnap her at pasta party.  I've told her when tesco start selling babies then she can buy one!!

Glad you enjoyed the marathon and the whole weekend in general

see you next year

• Options

wicked n haggus

bought a TENS seems to be a good bit of kit, tickles a bit though

• Options
    that depends where you put it though RB!!! i put mine on my shoulder blades on sunday and my shoulder kept popping over to the right so I had to move it again to the base of my back - god it's great
  • Options
    yep it made rlass scream
  • Options

Ref. tens machines, I've been looking on the internet. Can anyone recommend a particular one?

I see Boots are doing one (online only) for £20 (half price).

Is this likely to be any good for that price. Can't afford a dearer one!

• Options
    super girl LLoyds pharmacy are doing them at the moment for £14.99 and there's quite a few of us using them on here and they are worth their weight in gold.  I bought mine last week - I've a bad back and usually take 8 strong painkillers a day but I've only had 2 since I bought it and the painkillers I took on sunday cos I'd been standing around waiting for marathon runners somewhere in deepest darkest mabo!!
  • Options

Haggus,

Thanks, I will see if I can find a Lloyds near home.

• Options
    Supergirl Pam - I used the TENS machine from Lloyds for 2 days prior to Mabo Mara and without it i wouldnt have been able to run, for the price of £14.99 you cant fail they really are better than pills and faster acting too.
  • Options
    RB - just read back and saw you got a TENS as well, its does hit the spot, i use mine on my lower back and BOY it can feel sharp as you up the pressure, afterwards though the feeling is awesome, i haven't taken a pain killer for my back since I started using this and apart from a slight ache (nothing in comparison to before) my back feels almost normal
  • Options

many thanks to everyone involved, organisers, marshalls and helpers, I enjoyed the whole experince it even took my mind off work for 3 hours 31 minutes ( I work at northern rock so really appreciated the respite...) Regarding the run in along the prom, I agree with most of the comments posted that as this is the time when all your concentration is focused on putting one foot in front of the other there was scope in a couple of places to go off course, plus that drop on to the beach and the short sharp climb back onto the prom hurt like hell. also the final loop around the estate is cruel, far better to finish running in to the finish across the bridge onto the field, it would also give spectators a better view of the finish. All minor points and shouldn't take away from a tremendous event.

ps can someone turn the wind machine off next year !  

• Options

Got my tens machine today, can't wait to try it on my sore knee.

Signing off now as I am going awauy for 10 days to France (working) 

Au revoir

• Options

Yes Haggus, that was my daughter Charlotte at the pasta party. She really seemed to love the weekend. She kept staring at the donkeys on the beach!

As for next year, well i'm undecided as of yet, nothing to do with the event, just not sure if I can hack the training for a full marathon next year. We'll see, I could always do the half.

Any news on next year yet, thought I read somewhere that there was a committee meeting this week sometime??

regards

• Options
    My spies tell me there was a meeting this afternoon..................................
  • Options

THERE WAS A MEETING YESTERDAY AFTERNOON BUT IT WAS JUST A DEBRIEF.  WE WILL HAVE ANOTHER MEETING ASAP TO DISCUSS NEXT YEARS DATE AND I WILL POST IT HERE AS SOON AS I KNOW.

CAN I JUST SAY ON BEHALF OF THE COMMITTEE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND COMMENTS AND THAT WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO A BIGGER AND BETTER EVENT NEXT YEAR!!!

• Options

and so say all of us

we are trying to rally more troops from worksop for next year

• Options

a bit of a cheek but our half marathon is at the end of october worksop half

if anyone is intresred

• Options
    Haggus - Final comment for next year, it would be great if the run off the prom was straight into the finish for the full Mara as the other 2 races are as the run around the housing estate is very hard after 26 miles, I think/know Mabo Mara is a great event altering that finish would make it perfect image
  • Options
    wicked - i brought this up the other day at the debrief meeting and was discussing it earlier today with mr haggus. i think i might have thought of a way round it but obviously it will need to be measured out to ensure the distances are correct.  hopefully we will be able to do it but will keep you all posted here when we find out for defo xx
  • Options

Haggus - cheers mate I'll still be there next year anyway BUT that last bit around the estate is very demoralising so I'll keep an eye out for the future

EVERYTHING else about Mabo is just great  

• Options
    Haggus, just been up town and have been told something which you might know about......any confirmation?
  • Options

have you been to running club then?  obviously can't say publicly at the moment but just email me to tell me what you've heard then i can confirm or deny

tricia.fearns@hays-travel.co.uk

• Options

now theres a red rag to a bull........ right then, cmon guys, what do we think it is? image

i'll start, everyone who does the half marathon will get appearance money..... such as me.......??

• Options
    paula radcliffe will ditch the olympic marathon next year in bejing in order to do mablethorpe marathon??