Options

Running and Cycling

I have jut moved and now cycle 8 miles to the train station and then 8 miles back at a fair pace. I have been running for 2 years but have been told by a few people that running and cycling do not mix and I will get a lot of injuries. Is this true?? What about Triathletes??

Comments

• Options
    Sounds rubbish to me. I do both and they work well together.
  • Options
    Iain, total rubbish in my opinion. I was recommended by my physio to do cycling as it helps even development of the leg muscles and prevents runners knee. I took up Triathlon's last year to have a focus for cycling and it's not caused me any problems at all.
  • Options
    Must admit running crucified me when I first started as my lungs & heart could go on lots further than my legs could, so after my first 30 mins run, I could barely walk for a week. But that's just stupidity.

I think they complement each other as they work different leg muscles.
  • Options
    I agree with Cougie- cycling for the front and running for the back of legs generally speaking. Still haven't been on the turbo trainer yet this week- I have moved it to in front of the telly but thats as far as it's got!
  • Options
    Hi, I use cycling as part of my training for running. I get injured if I run more than 3xweek so I cycle on my turbo. I do short and long intervals as well as long easy sessions on the bike and alternate them with running. It has helped me.
  • Options
    I've had to opt for cycling, rather than running at the moment due to injury, but have noticed that it's causing my hamstrings to feel quite tight. Could this be a result of my quads bulking up in relation to the hamstrings? I'm cycling pretty hard for an hour a day.
  • Options
    I alternate running to work and cycling and its only been a good thing for me. After injury last year, i bought a bike and when i returned to running 6 months later, I'd lost very little condition and strength. If anything, the toning from cycling made me stronger.

Whoever said they're not compatible is talking out of their exhaust.
  • Options
    Agree - absolute rubbish.
    if you run and cycle you will develop more balance between the muscle groups in the legs.
    Us runners should be cycling as crosstraining- so id ignore the advice you were given
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Agree with everyone else on this. I use the turbo trainer on a regular basis as a form of cross training and haven't noticed any detrimental effects on my running.

If it was a problem then why are tri-athletes such good runners?

Monique, when is the Tadcaster duathlon and doesn't the turbo trainer get in the way when you're watching the telly?
  • Options
    Drew- Tadcaster is Sunday 2nd March 8:30 am start. Got my number this morning.
    I was supposed to do a session on the turbo trainer yesterday in front of Footballers Wives, but watched on my sons telly instead- I haven't used it yet not once I have been so taken up with the London training.
  • Options
    having been a daily commuter by bike for ever, i found that getting into running was pretty easy transition to make- in fact its a nice way to work off any running induced aching in the limbs with out-over working the sore bits...
    ... BUT here's a question that i've been meaning to put out for a while: having recently moved myself, i'm now doing 15miles a day on the bike- at a pace, with luggage usually!
    I've never considered the cycling to be 'training' and reckoned if i used this level of fitness as a base, i could train in swimming and running on top of it. Problem is that the running is deterioating recently- noticably since the move. Any reccommndations- which do NOT involve getting on the tube!!!
  • Options
    Running and cycling mix well.I commute on some days, a round trip of 36 miles and ran my last 10K in 34m and marathon in 2:47.
  • Options
    Jo why has the running gone down hill??
  • Options
    Tee hee hee. (I think he's doing his running WITH his bike. A cunning plan !)
  • Options
    OOOPS ! Sorry Iain - I thought you were talking to Pete and asking him why he was so 'slow'.

It's late - I should be running....
  • Options
    I've been cycling once a week min as cross training however the other day I thought I'd wear my heart rate monitor to see how the effort equated and the answer was - not a lot! Cycling at just above comfort level as far as my legs are concerned is only equivalent to working at around 55% whr.
    Going much faster involves my legs dying - why?
  • Options
    Different muscles Laura. Your cardio system can cope with it, but your poor leggies haven't done enough cycling to build them up yet.

Plus you'll have a diff Max Heart Rate on a bike. Should be lower as it's only the legs going and not legs arms and body. So that 55% wasn't really 55 - it was higher.
  • Options
    dont know why the running's gone 'downhill' of late- what i mean by that, is although i'm trying to get up to longer runs, times over shorter distances are slower- and it feels like harder work......

been wondering if its related to the extra cycling ( or am i just getting lazier?) and if so, is there a more efficient way to train ?
  • Options
    Cougie - could you (or one of the other learned cyclists/triathletes out there) expand on your reply to Laura about max heart rates for cycling as opposed to running?

Are you saying that the normal heart-rate training principles that apply to running are different on a bike? If I train at a max HR of, say, 160 doing intervals on a hard run, should I aim for a lower rate on the bike?
  • Options
    Scrooge - this confused me too when I began running, but it makes sense.

All your training should be based on MHR and that should be calced using an exercise to exhaustion type test. So on the bike - youd warm up on a Turbo, and then keep going through the gears every few minutes until you just can't go any further. Oh and have a helper timing and recording it all and shouting at you to go faster etc.

For running - you'd need to do it on a treadmill, and follow the same kinda methodology, but increase the speed of the treadmill until you can't take any more.

You should find that the MHR on the bike is lower than the MHR on the run. I haven't tried this myself - I know the MHR for the bike, but don't train with a HRM for running.

If you haven't done a Max test and you rely on the 220-age thing, then you could be way out, and there might be no point in using the HRM anyway !

Gee this is confusing !
  • Options
    I don't know if you already know this, but Running and cyclign can both stengthen the midle and outer quadracep muscles, but leave the inner one weak. In general cross training should lead to less injury, but the muscle imbalance is something to watch out for. Try standing on one leg and then bending the leg on the ground a little (10-15 degrees). Your leg should not 'fall inwards' at the knee. Practice keping it in line it is does. This can save trouble later...
  • Options
    Thanks Cougie, think I'll just leave the hrm at home when I next go for a bike ride - one hr training zone spreadsheet is enough!

I'd already guessed I wasn't working very hard as I get overtaken by the lycra brigade every time (only have mountain bike).

• Options
    Laura - you might be getting a better workout - extra rolling resistance with knobbly tyres and heavier bike etc.

I played on my mates 3k Carbon fibre machine once - and the blummin thing went like it had a motor !!
  • Options
    Cougie-very interesting! I just thought that my cycling was so bad that I could not sustain the same HR as for a run, but now it all makes sense (I think!)

Without wishing to get too off the subject, do you think the Heart Rate monitors aimed at cyclists (which include cadence and speed measurements eg Polar S510 and S710)are worth the money? Or am I just as well to get a cheaper HR monitor and a £15 speedo from Halfords?
  • Options
    Scrooge, I think a lot of HR stuff is just too over the top. The best sessions you can do with a bike are turbo sessions where you can focus on the HRM, and so you don't need the recordable/downloadable/all singing ones. On the road, you can't do interval sessions, so you are just doing the equivalent of the long slow runs - getting the miles in. I spose they are interesting to look at when you've been racing or something, but you pay for the privilege !

If you are Lance Armstrong and have backup to analyse your figures then you could get one, but I just find them too confusing.

Get a cheaper HRM and the Cateye Cordless comp for about £22.
  • Options
    Thanks Cougie - Lance Armstrong I am not so therefore I will go with your advice!