Options

£24K

Comments

• Options
    Will that be £24 gross or net, Smeggers? (Bit hazy on redundancy rules.)
  • Options
    Severence pay is normally free of tax. We dont know what your salary was but 24k tax free obviously represents many months salary. If I were you I'd take the money, but then I know that I would find another job quite quickly but not in Devon.

You need to carefully research what jobs are available that you could do. There won't be the choice that you have in Swindon and you can always commute from Swindon to Bristol or even Reading / Basingstoke etc. Also house prices in Devon which have been historically cheap are catching up fast with the rest of the UK - probably because a lot of people work from home these days and can pretty much choose where they live.

As for the shop idea, its great if you can make it work, but you'll find that prime locations in Cornwall are very expensive. Last year on holiday in Padstow I noticed a small cafe with attached crazy golf for sale for over £1m.

Is there some work that you can do from home maybe using the internet ?
  • Options
    AW

£24K is just under 2 years take home. We ohysically want to moveto Devon, so I'll have to check out the job scene as best I can. I do office work/Junior management and have good IT skills.

Smeg
  • Options
    With those skills, you should be able to find work in most places. The salary in Devon might not be what you're used to but you've got 2 years salary to fall back on. In that time you're bound to have been promoted and have had several pay rises.

Can you get friends and family to send you the local Rag from Exeter or somewhere, this should give you an idea of how plentiful jobs are and what they pay. Mind you you're not too far from there now, you could visit at the weekend, researching house prices aswell.

Good luck - sounds like an ideal opportunity.
  • Options
    Yep I can get the local rag sent up. I might try and get down to Exeter some time soon and go around the employment aganecies, to see what is available etc.
  • Options
    If you and Mrs Smeg are up for the move, it's sounding better and better. Very different situation, but years ago I resigned a full time contract in a job I didn't like any more to go onto a six-month contract in a job I loved. Friends thought I was mad (and so do I, looking back) but it was exactly the right move. It was worth the risk. Will you invite us round for a cream tea?
  • Options
    MK

You'd have to run quite a few miles to run off the calories in a REAL Dem'shire cream tea!

Smeg
  • Options
    Good luck Smeg with your decision read this yesterday and thought I'd bob back in today!

Cream Tea's...is it that time already yummy!
  • Options
    Seize the day Smeghead! I moved to Stoke for a 'temporary' job 10 years ago, and dream of returning to Worcester ( only 70 miles, I know) but am now in a situation where doubling my mortgage here would only allow me to buy a smaller and nowhere near as nice a house as I'm in now.

I stayed for promotion twice, and sometimes long for the days when I had my little council flat and could fit all I owned into my car: the knowledge I could just walk at any time was liberating. I have a good life and a good job here, but I often wish I'd had the balls to jack it all in and make the break before property prices etc hemmed me in.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    Stoke can have that effect on people
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Smeghead - Go!
    They've made the offer and are letting you decide. What happens if you decline?
    They will make you redundant under statutory (sp?) guidelines and I would wager that the minimum is less than they are offering you.
    I've been made redundant twice in 18 months and yes , less than 30k is tax free.
    Everyone seems to think there are a bag of jobs out there but (office) employers are fussy at the moment - have applied for dozens of local office jobs, but because I've worked in the City they all assume I'm after a big bag of swag.Despite the fact that I want to work locally,see the kids grow up,finish my OU degree and continue my running....
    That said there are loads of different opportunities -practically every big store (Tesco/Asda etc ) has recruitment schemes at the moment and salaries are ok.

Go for it, kids are young enough that their education won't suffer and they will soon make new friends..
  • Options
    Dustin,

It's only a minor reorganisation. If I turn it down I stay put and carry on as normal! There are no compulsory redundancies on offer, so no chance of any extra money!

One of my brothers was actually made redundant twice, he Got £1.7K the first time and nothing the second time. So maybe £24K looks good after all!
  • Options
    Having read the thread...take the money & run!! You both come from Devon & you both have families there, the children are at very adaptable ages, it sounds as though you already have your minds made up, but at the end of the day you have to go with what you want, not what other people think you should do!! Advice is great, but it is your choice finally. Good luck with your final decision.
  • Options
    Yes take the money and run ! Move to Devon and buy a farm , grow free range veggies and supply them to local markets , who knows someone could make a tv programme about it .....We moved from Norwich to East Yorkshire to be near family, luckily I rent my house so it menat I wasnt really losing out big style . I dont regret it at all, Norwich isnt that nice ( sorry to all swampies everywhere )
  • Options
    Smeghead, plenty of advice going round. But for £24K, I think you know the answer. Especially as it's tax free...which would take a fair few years to save I imagine.

Good luck whatever you decide
  • Options
    Think about all the running kit you could buy with £24k.........
  • Options
    "Smoke me a kipper!" I'm still considering it folks, due to see my financial advisor in 12 days time. In the mean time does anyone have any good advice on how to put together a good CV, IE how do I fit 18 years of experience onto the recommended 2 sides of A4! I'm tempted to use a very small font, but I guess that's not the idea!

Ronan's Dad - it's very early days with the running, I've had one false start with my knees playing up so I guess a £24K investment in running gear at the moment wouldn't go down to well with my wife!

PS, anyone know of any jobs going in the Exeter, Exmouth, Torqau area?

Smeg
  • Options
    Your quite right Smeg.£24k is a lot to spend on running kit,Compromise £23,500 on the running kit £500 on the Bingo......R.D.
  • Options
    I am not sure if anyone has offered you this advice yet but the plan I would follow would involve:

1. Get CV done ASAP (try www.vault.com)
    2. Contact recruitment agencies and find another job ASAP
    3. Accept the 24k
    4. Start new job

The key is to have another job lined up. It doesnt have to be ideal, just enough to buy you some time to figure out what you really want to do with your 24 large.

Good luck
  • Options
    In case i didnt make it clear you should be doing steps 1-3 whilst in you current job and only leave once you have secured a new job.

24K is nice but its not going to last forever. You need to manage the "risk" and you do that by retaining an income via another job.

Not to be funny but after 23 years at the same level you should be looking to move on and up anyway!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Smeghead, here's another good CV link

http://www.alec.co.uk/cvtips/

Sounds as though you have decided what you'd like to do but after such a long time in the one job it probably seems like an enormous task to actually do it. It would probably be an awful lot easier if the redundancy was compulsory, then someone else would be making your mind up for you.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Rick Waller's Bogger Brother / Drew

Thanks for the advice and web links.

I've spent to morning sending CV's to employmeny agencies in Exeter/Devon and Swindon, just to try to see what is around and what the chances are. My CV needs a bit of work on it, to trim it down, that's my next task! I'll try the links you suggested.

It's all a bit spooky, but probably time to move on.
  • Options
    Rick et al

My basic plan is your points 1 to 4, points 1 to 3 whilst with cuurent employer. I've just got to get it sussed etc.

Here's hoping hey!

Sneg
  • Options
    If you have the time, have a look at "What colour is your Parachute" Richard Nelson Bolles ISBN 1-58008-460-5

Lots of good ideas and thought-provoking questions, but overall very practical advice.

Good luck
  • Options
    good,

i would even consider getting some professional CV advice. ok it may cost a few quid but in terms of the 24k its a pittance. Its a tough market now and you need to shine. Dont worry about the cost, its an investment in ME PLC! I am about to shell out about 30k on an MBA if that puts it into perspective for you!

I cant think of any places off the top of my head but I would defo seek some advice if I where you.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Drew

Thanks for the CV link, it's an excellent site.

Paul
  • Options
    And don't forget to blow your own trumpet on your CV, Smegs!
  • Options
    Smeghead,

go for it. I got made redundant about 16 months ago (a week before we were due to sign on our new house - we had already sold ours) and it is probably the best thing that happened (I got £2.5k in case you're wondering). We went on holiday with some of the money, and some towards my change of career (I'll be a solicitor by 2004!).

At about the same time my husband decided to set up his own business ! If you've got a dream live it. The 24k might not stretch to your dream shop but if you've got a good business plan then there are all sorts of grants and small business loans that can make it work plus some websites with threads like this where people tell you 'how I did it'

Good luck and make the break.