Options

Coming Last!!!

I am convinced at the rate my injury is healing that I'll end up coming last at FLM.

Well someone has to don't they?

Has got me all curious though - I mean, what happens to the person who comes in last - do they get a special prize or something?

Please don't let it be me - please ;o)

Comments

• Options
    Bet it won't be you ! People at my start were walking before the end of the first mile last year, so who knows how long it took them to get round !
  • Options
    I think the special prize for coming last in 2002 was huge press coverage and raising a load of money for charity and a place in the Flora 1000 mile challenge. Well it was the guy in the diver's suit!
  • Options
    I saw thaton SKy news live.

'Here he is - He's 100 yards away from the finish. We'll come back in half an hour'

I was getting quite emotional when he did finish. Stooopid me !
  • Options

Well there is always a chance that someone will be daft enough to be wanting to do something silly (like run in a diver's suit!!).

Seriously though, why run this year's marathon if you are not ready/fit enough? Do you have to? If not, better defer it to next year I think.

Good luck.
  • Options

Oops , soomeone beat me to it! That's what happens when you a start on a posting then get distracted by other trivial work-related things !!
  • Options
    I'm never really fit enough to race. I bet even Paula might admit to that !
  • Options
    I was doing really well and sustained an injry nearly two weeks ago (currently have Bursitis). It's annoying me that I'm not out there improving my progress. I'm adament I will run, namely because I've raised nearly £4,000 so far and everyone is sooo excited about me doing it - but I'm worried that missing a few weeks of training will mean that I end up being the one who comes in last or something.

I suppose I would get a lot of publicity though - never thought of that ;o)

I'm just sooo curious about the person who crosses that line last - what it's like and that thought had never occured to me before.
  • Options

Point taken, cougie, but I think you know exactly what I meant !!
  • Options
    I know what you're saying FLM.

I think someone would have to be seriously sensible to pull out so close to London, especially as we've now found out Taz has raised 4k !

I bet there are a fair few that haven't even trained for London yet and will struggle all the way round.
  • Options
    hhhmmmm - I'm certainly not sensible.....

Yep, I'm really pleased with the amount I've been sponsored. I HAVE been really lucky with sponsorship though....my hubbie owns a bar and they've practically all sponsored me and HUGE sums at that - plus I work in a huge bank where they're matching me pound for pound up to a max of £1,000!!!!

The only thing is ....the regulars at my hubbies place won't let me have any alcohol lately and keep shoving me out the door every time they see me to go running :o( I think I'm their pet project!!! They want to make sure they get a return on their money ;o)
  • Options

You've got a bit a dilemma there, no question. I like your sponsors - very generous and sensible (even if you are not!). Admit it, you like the fuss they're making over you!

Re Bursitis: are you doing anything about it? How serious is it? I had it last year 3 weeks before the event. Stopped me doing as much training as I would have liked, but did run the event itself. Felt something again some 2/3 weeks ago, so started taking anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen). So far so good.

Good luck, and chapeau for the amount you've raised so far!

• Options
    I admit it - I LOVE all this fuss - it's brilliant and I've never known anything like it!!

Re the Bursitis - I saw a physio on Tuesday night and he's recommended I rest up for the next week (have already rested for a week before going to see him). He did ultrasound and put me on that strage machine that sends the currents into you? I'm taking ibuprofen 3 x daily and applying heat the the area coupled with same daily stretching.

Keeping my fingers crossed at the moment .........

Keep thinking of the undoubted elation I'll feel when crossing that line :o)