Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi there Flynn
    Just to confirm that my race number was 113 and I finished very proudly in 4 hrs 29 mins - is this one of the times that you had? I just sneaked in within my 4.15 to 4.30 time frame so was stoked. Also managed not to walk either so an extra bonus.
    Have been joking to all my friends that I was the first Kiwi home (were there any other NZers??).
    Great marathon and I'm feeling surprisingly good, even though my voice has strangely disappeared. I'm so glad I did this despite my cold and hope the Scottish Witham runner I ran with near the start made it through his 13th Halstead marathon after the whole week in bed! You were an inspiration.
    Thak you Elsie for getting me there and being part of the porridge brigade at the Marks Tey Hotel. Well done on your PB.
    Deana and Hammo - good job girls, you powered home and did a brilliant time!!
    Thanks again for the whole shebang, especially the advice on this forum.
    You all rock!!!
  • Options
    On the subject of pacers: I found this web page which explains what makes a successful pacer (maybe a book of jokes is obligatory):
    nullhttp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05273/580307.stmnull

At Halstead I think the gazebo was the key: it gave people the opportunity to make contact, have a chat and be together at the gun.

Trying to be a pacer here meant, for the first time, I checked my mile splits against a pace band on my wrist. I'll definitely be trying this out again to see if it helps me get through the tough bits (even though it didn't work this time!)
  • Options
    weird looking link!
  • Options
    Slow Duck:

Glad you like the medal. We wanted a bespoke medal and not just a personalised one. We thought it would make a difference and look really good. I've got mine proudly displayed on my desk. (I prefer it to the FLM one as I don't much like Flora margarine)

Kevin Hanney:

I'll change your entry in the results mate.

I had a thought about pacing bands. Here's an idea. Give people the option of having a pace chart printed on the side on their race number (upside down). They would indicate on their entry form whether they want this and want pace they want printed.

This might not be possible but it would be a great thing to try and do.
  • Options
    At chicago last year they gave out sheets the size of race numbers with your pace printed on them. If you were brave enough you could pick one of these up at the expo, and would then pin it on the back of your vest. It worked well, because you could see people pass you, maybe, at an early stage but with a time on their back that was 15 or 30 minutes quicker than your target. Also, maybe there was someone up ahead aiming for the same time as you, and seeing that time on their back helped you keep up. People with the same sorts of targets clustered together, certainly for the first 2/3 of the race. It was very helpful. Unfortunately, I wasn't brave enough to declare my own target so clearly and publicly, for fear of failing badly at it. But if you are committed to running in a pace group then I guess that it is no issue to put your hoped for target on your back. Works best if lots of people participate.
  • Options
    Leanne Clough:

Our race results show 113 twice, one at 4:29:00 and another at 4:29:40. I think it's going to be very difficult to determine who is who so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you can have the first. There is only 40 seconds between them after all and it's not like it changes any prizes.
  • Options
    Thanks Flynn, I know it was the first one and your absolutely right about it not affecting any prizes, only a first timer's pride. Could it be because I passed back near the finish line, I didn't go back over it and went the way I was sent by the finish line man!!
    By the way my friends who were watching said it was absolutely brilliant how the marshalls always laughed even though the runners made the same sort of jokes every time they passed (I hadn't thought of that)- such a smiley helpful bunch all round the course. Thanks!
    Nevermind on the desk, I wore my medal all day at work yesterday - I figured if I didn't deserve to wear it then ,when did I!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, how are well all feeling today. My legs are really hurting and going down stairs is a killer, I am very slow. I plan on doing my first run tomorrow which will be interesting. Thanks Flynn for doing the list of Forumities. I am pleased that everyone did so well roll on the next one. Leanne I am a kiwi and you deserve to wear your medal running 26.2 miles is no joke.
  • Options
    Slowbutfar,
    When I got about 24-mile, I felt even I still have enough of energe to go, but all my leg muscles started feeling very tight. I put some Tiger balm on, it helped a lot. Maybe you want to give a try next time.

About the HRM, I have a Garmin one and used it only at beginning when I bought it. Sometime it gave me HR at 210 (when I do the spring), I am not sure who got something wrong, me or Garmin.
  • Options
    hi everyone,
    not feeling too bad today but doubt if I will run before the weekend.I will go for a long swim soon which i find helps recovery.(without injury)I have a few small runs and a triathlon to do before my next marathon which will be the south downs on june 16th.
    Keep on running folks!
  • Options
    Hello and good morning, I'm Jeremy the Course Director/Chief Marshal. I'd just like to thank everyone on here for the fantastic...no, incredible response that you have given to our race, the comments in the ratings are embarrassing........but we're worth it. ;)

It is always a struggle to find enough people to man the course and HQ and I am personally so grateful to the runners who couldn't run through injury but turned up just the same and gave their help-thank you, you are wonderful!

Needless to say some of those were forum people as were some on the first and second water stations manned by Club Kingswood Runners and Witham Runners respectively.

The former went on to man the later positions at Star Stile Corner, on the field and along the main road. I spent some time on the first water station and on the main road....those ladies are just hyper....I hope they come back next year! :) Without the help of these 2 clubs and the local ATC we just would not have had a race this year. Thank you all.

A special thank you to everyone who made the effort to thank marshals and water station teams. It makes a big difference when someone has been standing in the rain for hours and was much appreciated and talked about.

If you can't run next year but can spare us a day or even a few hours you will be very welcome. :)

A message for Hammer Time.

Thank you for the great review you gave us. The little girl marshalling in the rain with her mother you mentioned is called Francis. She is four years old and had travelled more than 40 miles to help, getting up at 6.30 to do so. She didn't leave the field until the 4.50 + runners were arriving.

In the HQ after the race I asked her if she had been a good marshal and she nodded, then I asked her if she thought she deserved a medal............. her face was a picture.

I hope I've made it up to her. :)

See you next year and thank you all. :)

ps. Don't think for one minute that turning up to marshal will win you a medal, that was a one off! ;)
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm about to type this, but if I run this again next year I'm definitely going to do some more hillwork - especially going downhill.

My legs are feeling a lot better than they should - it's just my quads complaining a bit.

I ran most of the race on my own, but there were definite sections were it would have helped to be in a group. Next year will deffo join a pacing group methinks.
  • Options
    Here's a selection of photos from Sunday. These were taken with a focus on the organisers and marshals so don't expect lots of shots of runners.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/flynnuk/HEM%202007/?start=all
  • Options
    I love the photo of the finish, sitting waiting for us all to cross that line. Bluewombat I see from the Berlin marathon forum you are running. anyone else out there also doing Berlin, I am, I know a sucker for more punishment.
  • Options
    I'm in for Berlin this year, Piranha.
  • Options
    Berlin will be easy compared to Halstead but no way near as friendly. Do you realise the training starts all over again in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    There's no rest for the wicked ;-)
  • Options
    When is the Berlin marathon?

Now I know I'm mad - Having done one I want to do another one :-)

Anyone here done/know anything about the Kent coastal marathon??
  • Options
    Hi all,
    I have found my legs today I had left them in the bottom of my sports bag
    Very enjoyable first marathon except the last 6-7 miles
    Do they get easier?How do you condition your body for the last 6 miles if you only run up to 20 in training?
    Flynn....My number in not on the results list John Ryan number 19 a miserable 4.35.03 but pleased to finish.
    Can you add to finish list
    Thanks
    Well done all (and the hammers)
  • Options
    RaquelRaquel ✭✭✭
    Hello Hammer Time
    Sorry bi missed you-I looked out for you on race day to arrange that lift but I couldn't find you anywhere ! I made do with a grumpy taxi driver instead !

Not too stiff today but very very tired. I always have trouble sleeping for a few days after a marathon but then it catches up with me big time.

I thought I'd got marathons out of my system for a while but oh dear, I can feel another one coming on already...
  • Options
    Brassneck

Looks like I will be seeing you at South Downs on June 16th, well at least at the start! You are 20 minutes quicker than me!

Have you run South Down before?

Flynn

First chance last night to look at the medal, and it's totally superb, certainly the best I've got.

A BBQ after the marathon is a good idea, although it will need good weather at the finish. I doubt it would have been a success with the weather on Sunday.

The other thing to consider is whether people will be of a state of mind to eat food and chat. For me, I had put so much effort in during the race that mentally and physically I was a wreck!

This isn't a put down for the BBQ suggestion, just a statement that I, at least, would have been a useless guest on Sunday afternoon!!!!

James
  • Options
    Thanks Xiaolin - I'm off hunting for some on the net right now. I didn't realise you used it during the race, though.

And, is a 210 heart rate humanly possible!? Mine peaks at below 170.
  • Options
    I hit 185 on Sunday, which I had thought was my maximum. No wonder I burnt up too soon!

It is funny to see how many people are thinking about their next marathon so soon. It always seems ridiculous to contemplate doing it again when I am staggering at around 24 miles, but 24 hours later and everything seems so different!

Berlin is 30th September, Yvonne. It looks like a number of forumites will be there. But it will be very different from halstead, that's for sure.

I am so pleased to hear that the little girl in the field was awarded a medal for her contribution. She certainly deserved it. As I shuffled by she and her mother were doing a little song and dance act for me in the rain! Wonderful, and sums up the attitude of all the volunteers and marshals.

Now my focus is to my next event, which is the hilly Dartmoor Discovery race in 2.5 weeks. My first foray into ultra territory. 32 miles is only another 10k more than a marathon. Ho ho ho, "only"!
  • Options
    xiaolin Wu
    Not so much hiding as refusing to put the legs on the ground again. Sorry about the duff info should have been mile 22, I mixed up the marshal point no. with the mile point. Well done.
  • Options
    Piranha
    My legs remembered the uphills my mind forgot
  • Options
    Yvonne
    I am lucky - two of my photos are cheered up by your great smile. As you were pulling away from me you were being joined by a group, did they know that you were "the one with the watch"?

hammer time
    Over the years as I've got slower I have found that the key is heavy carbo loading in the 48 hours beforehand and gels in the race until you get fed up with them, to delay the time when you start running on fat reserves
  • Options
    Not'so'old
    Thank you, I'm honoured to in your pictures and it was lovely to chat to you as we ran. I'm afraid I didn't notice the group coming up. Hazel and I were the sum total of the 4:45 group. We weren't too far out with with the timing and very happy to finish our first marathon in under 5 hours.

BlueWombat
    Thanks for the date, not sure what we're doing then yet but Berlin would be a great city to run around. Mr M and I spent New years Eve (2005/2006) there - Brandenburg Gate, 500,000 Germans, wine, beer, live bands, sing-a-longs, fireworks - fantastic experience. All the best for Dartmoor.

I definitely want to do another marathon, but which to choose. Any recommendations???
  • Options
    Hazel

You are right we do seem to be smiling in all the photos :-) We must have been having fun! Contact me directly and I can send you some photos.
  • Options
    hammer time:

Nope, the last 6-7 miles don't get any easier. That's the fun on marathon running. :)

I'll sort out the results tomorrow for you.

jamesy666:

The BBQ suggestion is their to be shot down mate. Just because I mention it doesn't make it a good idea.

I'll gauge support when the time is right and see what we think.
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder whether I should have my VO2 max and pace tested to definitively work out what my maximum HR actually is.

If I take the 'maths' approach, given I'm 40 this year, that works out to a maximum of 183 - which is obviously wrong as I've recorded 187 last year.

But then, in 2007 my resting heart rate (like when I'm lying in bed being idle) whwn my body isn't recovering seems to have settled on 46, down from the 50 of 2006. So, probably I should do the maths again taking off 46 not 50 when working out HR zones.

I always try to run marathons about 80%, but the average of 26 miles always seems to be about 87%.

Has anyone else been through the unpleasant VO2 max tests? Did you think it worth the cost and effort?

James