Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    thanks for that Flynn, I can relax a little about it now then.
    managed some speed work this lunchtime but now my knee is killing me. hope it's better for thursdays tempo run.
  • Options
    I'm having left knee problems as well. Hopefully by the time it gives up completely medical research will be able to grow me a new one. :|
  • Options
    I'm in too.
    This'll be my 4th marathon and hoping it'll be a fast one.
  • Options
    DB:

Your entry has been received.
  • Options
    bad luck on the knees folks - I can sympathise as ITB sidelined my for 2 months during last summer. Now fixed by a fiz and some exercises to target a specific muscle group. I know what it's like tho to run with knee pain. (())

Not started extending the distance beyond half yet - as I have 2 x half mara races over the next 3 weeks... then it's the big push towards 20 on a phased basis. not looking forward to that, and just praying that my knee will continue to behave.
  • Options
    This race was cold last year hot the year before......any predictions on the weather this time?
  • Options
    I don't care too much about the temperature as long as it's not too windy. Is the course exposed?
  • Options
    No in fact most of it is bounded by hedges banks, or tree lined. I think you'll find mid May doesn't tend to see strong winds in the area, certainly not in the last three years.
  • Options
    started training not going too well both knees dodgy rt calf pain in different areas each day
  • Options
    Take it easy mate. You have to listen to your body and work around the pain. Get some physio if you can and see what can be done.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I did this 2 years ago and boy was it hot! I remember some guy standing in the road with a hose-pipe, lovely.

Looking at it again this year, its well organised and a lovely traffic-free rural course.

From memory there's no massive hills just gentle up and downs
  • Options
    I've just read my last post (above)... how ironic. The knees are fine, but I've badly torn a calf muscle (running Watford Half) and the Fiz has put me on the bench for at least the next 4 weeks, possibly longer, up to 8 was mentioned :-( That almost certainly scuppers this one.

Flynn - can I defer my entry to next year due to injury??
  • Options
    bad news PSC hope you make a speedy recovery
  • Options
  • Options
    PSC:

I'll find out mate.
  • Options
    cheers Flynn....
  • Options
    only 12 weeks or so to go now and I havent done any long runs since december, getting a bit worried but would rather go easy on the knee for now. am tempted to go for 12 miles on sat but as i havent done more than 6 miles for ages now I must force myself not to go too mad. This race is looming though and i must build up to some 20 milers soon!
  • Options
    red tomato i world not advise a 100% increase in your mileage straight off the bat,try 8 or 9 miles this weekend then increase the week after to 11 or 12 miles, dropping back to10 miles before increasing your mileage again to 14 or 16 miles then you will not have to many injury worries.
  • Options
    Pit Stop Crew:

If you can't run this year then I can defer you until next next year. Let me know slightly nearer the time whether you will or wont attend.
  • Options
    Flynn... I read your post on the train and was delighted. Everything I have read about your mara is good and I want to do it - will I run it this year? Unfortunately no way - I've been on the bench for 4 weeks now and have at best another 4 weeks to go before I can start running again. The prospect of getting up to mara distance in time for the race is nil! Pity as I was really looking forward to it!

Defering to next year is therefore a wonderful option, one that I will gladly accept.

You may be interested to read the debate that raged yesterday on here and on Fetch.... on balance I would say that people thought that refunds for the bigger races (on a sliding scale dependant on notice) and deferment/swapping numbers might be good options for clubs to offer. All recognised the amount of hard work you organiser peeps put into getting the races off the ground!

So the two debates are Runners World Debate and Fetch debate .

I really look forward to meeting everyone at the start line in a year! Now there is forward planning :-) All I can add, in summary, in thank you and your club for taking the time to form a view on this.

All the best....

PSC
  • Options
    Bad luck PSC, maybe target an autumn marathon?

Got the first 20 miler planned this weekend, hope the weather stays like today. Good training to all those still able.
  • Options
    cheers Pete.... already lined up for Beachy Head in late Autumn, although this is more of a "fun" one.
  • Options
    looking forward to this, hopefully the weather will be kind. Hope you've got that under contrl Flynn?
  • Options
    woo hoo! have finally moved...so entered this at last...it's serious now, no backing out...! :-D
  • Options
    BlueWombat:

That would be a neat trick. I know that weather I would book if I could. Overcast, slight drizzle and cool. However, history says that it'll more likely be a glorious sunny day. :)

Tara.:

Good for you. How is the training going?
  • Options
    Hi Flynn,

it's not going too bad thanks, due to all the moving and decorating I'm ultra busy so can only manage 3 days a week but one of those includes a long run which is steadily increasing - sunday I ran 13.2 miles very slowly and felt good at the end of it so it's looking hopeful... ached like mad on monday mind!! (I think I may take May 14th off as holiday!) :-)
  • Options
    I would Tara, I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse last year, had booked the next day off but ended up having a tooth extracted, made me forget about my aches though.
  • Options
    I've turned the corner in my training. I'm on a 16 week program leading up to the FLM. The first 8 weeks have been hard. Adding lots of mileage and working on speed.

The second 8 weeks which I'm now in is all about consistency and consolidating what I've got.

Last night I went out for a 20 miler (which I cut to 16 as my knee started to ache a little bit) and had the best run of my year so far.

And the reason for this ..... hydration, pace and nutrition. I reduced my pace by a minute a mile, made sure I always was fully hydrated and went through a bunch of High-5 and Carb-Boom gels. Highly recommended.

I'm planning on running the FLM in about 3:20 and my pace last night was bang on that. Hopefully with the right recovery I'll be looking at a PB at Halstead.

Had my knee not played up I could easily have done another 4 miles. Today I don't ache much at all. Legs are a little stiff but I feel ok. (In fact I'm off for a run in an hour so I must be feeling ok)
  • Options
    I did a 20-miler on Saturday and really struggled for the last 5 miles. Although I did have a couple of glasses of wine on Friday evening so may have started a bit dehydrated. I'll have to be a bit more self-disciplined before the next one.
  • Options
    I've been mainly t-total this year. I actually had my first glass of wine tonight and it tasted just awful. It's left me feeling quite sick. :(